Where are the melee in pvp? Im worried

Wingzeron

The ability delay and the pvp lag really hurt pvping with my Maruarder.

Thats why its getting fixed next patch *crossing fingers*

But tbh. I think mara/sents are wrecking w/o ability issues, some are pulling crazy **** even with delay.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are wondering where exactly melee is at in pvp, come follow my livestream at http://www.Twitch.tv/skizzurp. I am a battlemaster Knight Guardian in the dps focus spec (aoe crit spec). I play on the crucible pits server mainly, but will be pvping oon other servers on alts from time to time. Jugg/Guard pvp I think is OP compared to any other class. If games go long enough and I am actually tryin to medal farm i can easily get 12 medals on any map after the changes to rakata medpac. I think most dont play dps spec endgame being that most are tanks for pve and you cant really change specs at will. If you want to see Guardian pvp, again check out my livestream and follow it at http://www.Twitch.tv/skizzurp. I am working on making it a top pvp stream so make it your top place for pvp stream action.

I am a melee and i like playing PVP, to be honest thats the main reason for me to play an MMO. My biggest problem with PVP is the map Huttball, its not to melee friendly. The other maps are mutch mutch better and i enjoy them verry mutch. The only problem is that you see the other maps 1x per 10 rounds.

Oh and i am getting iritated by 1 button skilless races........

Edited by TheRelic

I don't understand how people can play sorcs/bounty hunters. It's like admitting you have no skill to me. No offense to them I'm just expressing my own frustration as I would like to play one purely out of coolness factor but the class is too simplistic to be fun.

Over the past two days, I have found that the definition of masochism is pugging on a melee toon. There is no way to get kills, even tank specced, it's almost impossible because decent teams, even decent pug teams, cluster up together. And jumping into an enemy cluster waving a light saber is just a recipe for being dead.

That said, I think a Shadow or Assassin with a pocket healer could be beastly.

Edited by maradigamer

I can't seem to go far on my pyro merc without getting charged by at least one melee and having an assassin pop up behind me. Plenty of Melee on my server. I see lots of sorcs, assassins, and marauders. Lots of scoundrels, guardians, and sentinels too. All of which seem to try to focus on sticking to me for some reason.

most people wanna see giant numbers and kill with out any threat to themselves and thus ranged tend to be more popular this goes for all mmos! that said are several issues with melee in this game, but even so a good jugg/gaurdian tank spec'd are what win games, and people haven't figured that out yet... or arent willing to learn how to play as a tank in pvp. Core reason pugs lose is orginization and LACK of tank/healers in warzones!

Go ask any of people pvp alot what hardest thing to kill is and will 9/10 say " healer with gaurd on them" are nigh unstoppable duo. Combine that with aoe taunt and snares and jugg is a beast! but big reason i can think of is MAIN pvp design right now is illum and illum is anti-melee ...i still dunno how people are suppose to get illum daily done as a melee class.....

most people wanna see giant numbers and kill with out any threat to themselves and thus ranged tend to be more popular this goes for all mmos! that said are several issues with melee in this game, but even so a good jugg/gaurdian tank spec'd are what win games, and people haven't figured that out yet... or arent willing to learn how to play as a tank in pvp. Core reason pugs lose is orginization and LACK of tank/healers in warzones!

Go ask any of people pvp alot what hardest thing to kill is and will 9/10 say " healer with gaurd on them" are nigh unstoppable duo. Combine that with aoe taunt and snares and jugg is a beast! but big reason i can think of is MAIN pvp design right now is illum and illum is anti-melee ...i still dunno how people are suppose to get illum daily done as a melee class.....

%100 agree with that part. You'd think there would be more healers Republic side, what with no cool purple lightning and all to distract them, but sadly, I almost never get heals. Empire, I just got out of three matches where severe distractability on the part of my teammates got us destroyed, but even so, I got heals all over the place.

guardians and juggernauts seemed to get wrecked in pvp. Sentinels and marauders get wrecked to a lesser degree. Our damage is absolutely horrible and needs to be tweaked, either that or our survivability increased. Even if I'm in someones face(im a guardian) and hes ranged I still get killed no matter what.

People who play range or have a biased opinion shouldnt even be commenting in this topic because your opinion is slanted. That's like a frost mage in wow going into a warrior topic and saying they're fine and perfectly balanced.

guardians and juggernauts seemed to get wrecked in pvp. Sentinels and marauders get wrecked to a lesser degree. Our damage is absolutely horrible and needs to be tweaked, either that or our survivability increased. Even if I'm in someones face(im a guardian) and hes ranged I still get killed no matter what.

People who play range or have a biased opinion shouldnt even be commenting in this topic because your opinion is slanted. That's like a frost mage in wow going into a warrior topic and saying they're fine and perfectly balanced.

seems to be an issue with guardians then, at least my juggernaut has no issues in warzones. I have good damage and insane utility, always top #1 or #2 on medals while actively pursuing warzone objectives.

50jugg 500expertise

seems to be an issue with guardians then, at least my juggernaut has no issues in warzones. I have good damage and insane utility, always top #1 or #2 on medals while actively pursuing warzone objectives.

50jugg 500expertise

I thought juggernauts were more or less a mirror of guardians, so they should share the same problems. Currently the only way for me to consistently get medals is by spamming my AOE taunt whenever its off CD. My best move, guardian strike with a full stack of sunders, still does less damage than a sorcerers or sages instant cast lightning or project. Its sad.

Yes, Melee is harder to play. Much harder. you have to "do" more. But omg I love when I do a successful rotation of pwnage on my Guardian and kill one of the ranged dudes who think they can just kite me.

Tracer missile Tracer missile Tracer missile Tracer missile Tracer missile - POW, lightsaber in your face. :)

It realy helps to have nice keybinds and learn to use them like you are playing a piano. Use mouse for movement and do rotations with keyboard. Effective and fun.

I thought juggernauts were more or less a mirror of guardians, so they should share the same problems. Currently the only way for me to consistently get medals is by spamming my AOE taunt whenever its off CD. My best move, guardian strike with a full stack of sunders, still does less damage than a sorcerers or sages instant cast lightning or project. Its sad.

guardian slash blows, get unremitting from vigilance tree if you are going to play pure pvp tank.

or just spec focus and own like everyone else, pure tanking spec in pvp is boring especially without a premade.

Guard and taunts don't lose much efficiency when used in a dps spec and I use those abilities all the time while rage specced.

guardian slash blows, get unremitting from vigilance tree if you are going to play pure pvp tank.

or just spec focus and own like everyone else, pure tanking spec in pvp is boring especially without a premade.

Guard and taunts don't lose much efficiency when used in a dps spec and I use those abilities all the time while rage specced.

If I specced into the damage tree or the shared tree, I wouldnt be able to do pve anymore. I leveled as a tank and all my gear is for a tank. I dont want to visit the reset skill guy whenever I need to do instances. The lack of dual spec is what kills it for me.

I only face range classes these days at Warzones. I barely see any melee class at all, if i do, they are operative or assasins. VERY few Warriors/Knights.

I think this is also the case at other servers and proves that range classes do have advantage in this game at the moment and should be tweaked. for example a commando/merc who can just spam 1 litterally 1 button and still do very decent in warzones and get top in dmg done.

And Sages/Sorceres are also just spamming to death.

Melee really are left behind and soon there will be no melee in game played in pvp at all.

Bioware, I'm really getting worried about the future of the game like this. You haven't mentioned anything to let us know you are atleast looking at the problem. Also togeher with the imbalance of the republic/empire this could kill the game.

I'm also tempted to roll a range class to join the mass and am lvl 13 atm with amazing results in Warzones. Those range classes should be atleast harder to play. I played my bro's 50 Sorcerer and I have never felt so godlike before in comperation with my Marauder. I use way more binds than he does and does half of the effort I have to do to get the same results. (if its possible) And we both are equal skilled for a long time since the 6 years of world of warcraft together.

I notice that melee classes are less usefull here than in WoW. I know this is another game, but its logical that melee classes should be the one to decide the game with CC too and not jus flat out dmg.

Starting by making range classes harder to play is a good start.

I was talking to guild today about this too. There have been so many warzones where there's 2 melee and then the rest of BH or sorcs.

Melee get destroyed cause they all attack you instantly since they are ranged, and you die whenever you get in range.

I regret not rolling a ranged dps now.

I only face range classes these days at Warzones. I barely see any melee class at all, if i do, they are operative or assasins. VERY few Warriors/Knights.

I think this is also the case at other servers and proves that range classes do have advantage in this game at the moment and should be tweaked. for example a commando/merc who can just spam 1 litterally 1 button and still do very decent in warzones and get top in dmg done.

And Sages/Sorceres are also just spamming to death.

Melee really are left behind and soon there will be no melee in game played in pvp at all.

Bioware, I'm really getting worried about the future of the game like this. You haven't mentioned anything to let us know you are atleast looking at the problem. Also togeher with the imbalance of the republic/empire this could kill the game.

I'm also tempted to roll a range class to join the mass and am lvl 13 atm with amazing results in Warzones. Those range classes should be atleast harder to play. I played my bro's 50 Sorcerer and I have never felt so godlike before in comperation with my Marauder. I use way more binds than he does and does half of the effort I have to do to get the same results. (if its possible) And we both are equal skilled for a long time since the 6 years of world of warcraft together.

I notice that melee classes are less usefull here than in WoW. I know this is another game, but its logical that melee classes should be the one to decide the game with CC too and not jus flat out dmg.

Starting by making range classes harder to play is a good start.

I was talking to guild today about this too. There have been so many warzones where there's 2 melee and then the rest of BH or sorcs.

Melee get destroyed cause they all attack you instantly since they are ranged, and you die whenever you get in range.

I regret not rolling a ranged dps now.

I have melee but for pve only and even than its gettin to the point where ppl want ranged only. The problem i was having in pvp was whenever i got into a group that was 90% ranged and the opposing side was 90% ranged (which is most of my groups) there would be times (such as when a match start and both sides rush middle torrent in wz) both sides would be at ranged (sorta like a western showdown) and if i force leaped into them they would just all switch to me and roflstomp me than go back to firing at ranged.

Warriors/Knights have a weird stigma of being underpowered which is why you don't see as many as you'd expect for a Star Wars game. In reality, they scale very well with gear and are invaluable PvP classes for balanced groups. Plus, there are a lot of bad players who picked the default Star Wars class and gave them a bad name.

Last night in one match I was getting lightning spammed by 6 players. Now that's some good coordination and I bet it would have made for a nice screen grab. Being melee can put you in some bad places. :(

Mainly respawn.

But I do plan to give my Shadow another try anyway.

Melee gets hit harder because a lot of people don't really understand how the class balances work. A Merc spamming Tracer Missile without anyone attacking him is probably the most dangerous visible class in the game (Ops are not usually visible before they attack). That means even for ranged classes it's a good idea to pressure the Tracer Missile spammer so he can't continue doing that, instead of automatically targetting the melee that's on you. Melees, unless you can successfully kite them, do not actually care if a ranged is attacking them or not since melee abilities are virtually unaffected by pushback and is almost never interruptible. Tracer Missile spam, on the other hand, is definitely interruptible and can be pushed back by damage as well. There really should be more range versus range duels simply because ranged DPS can affect each other's capacity by counterattacking, but no DPS can affect a melee's DPS capability short of a successful kite or killing them.

This means melees receive an unreasonable amount of the enemy's DPS and is more likely to die. However that only affects leaderboard, not whether you'll actually win the game or not. In fact a heavy melee death count game is almost always better than a heavy ranged death count game simply by the fact that ranged class tends to be less durable than melee, so if all that damage is transferred to them somehow, you'd expect a lot more deaths and that'd be bad.

The best thing about being a melee dps is the Ilum battles.

You stand there...not doing anything while everyone else are casting their range spells.

Only way i can get kills on Ilum is to foce charge into the whole team with all of my shields on, that way i got time to make 1 AoE before i get killed.

Would prolly be easier to pick an enemy that fallen behind from the rest o the team, but the lagg just makes it impossible! -.-

The reason behind this is the common misconception that melee are bad. These type of threads help promote this attitude.

There are certain innate advantages that ranged classes have that make them easier to play in ceratin situations. It is not hard to overcome melee shortcomings, but they arent good unless you are able to.