There will be no server merges

LordSatoh

In my opinion.

They just announced that will be sharding Ilum. That means that our lvl 50 planet creates lag issues and that is with as small as 15 vs 15 pvp. This leads to a conclusion that hero engine can not render fast enough which pretty much ends as useless as it can be In a MMO.

My opinion though but 200+ servers were not made to have people play smooth. They were made so many because they can not handle MMO side of this game.

So what will happen in 2-3 months when huge part will reach that 50?

Now I wonder when will BW delete this thread for being right.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ofc it is so, the engine have some huge and apparent bottleneck that developers seems can't avoid (none of the graphic settings changes performance except shadows, you can even try to lower your resolution to 600x800 without single frame increase lol). Thats why all this heavy sharding, it has nothing to do with "quality of player's experience" they try to "deceive"tm us, its just that engine can't support many ppl together which they must find some solution or greatly suffer.

Just watch how fast it will be locked :p

Edited by SBite

Ok so you want me to believe that SWTOR will be the ONLY MMO in the last 20 years that will not eventually merge servers. There plan may be to not go this route. But in the end they will have to and will have no choice in the matter. Pops have already dropped significantly and will continue too just like all games. This is the way of gaming and has been since the modern era.

Nothing will change this and to think your mmo "model" is above this definitive trend, is naive.

If sharding makes the FPS ok then I am all for it as a workaround while they fix the rootcause. Regarding the engine it seems they bought a "full" license so they can do whatever changes they want to it so its more a resource/time issue then the engine itself.

Whats with the paranoia regarding locking threads??

The difference in the level of graphic quality that is trying to be achieved is part of the issue. If they downgraded SWTOR to the level of WoW then performance would improve exponentially.

SWTOR doesn't look better than wow, or do anything that is technologically superior. Infact with the additions to wow's engine that were implemented in Cataclysm DX11), I'd say SWTOR is quite a bit behind.

Edited by Navakai

WoW did.

Rift did.

FFXI did.

FFXIV did.

Though only three of those (Hint: They're in order) were any good. <_<

SWTORs graphics is whats preventing this from happening..the servers are trying to render the details of each individual while trying to accomplish the instructions its recieving from each individual on top of whatever else is going on in the background.

No kidding. I haven't seen any MMO that manages 30 people without any serious lag, disconnects etc.

Where you lived last 10 years cos this were problems in 90s? Or you don't make any difference between lag and low FPS 'cos of your crappy PC.

Edited by SBite

Whats shardinG? Can any mmo handle 30 people on one screen?

Pretty much any good MMO out there can handle a lot more ppl in screen, to name just the infamous one, i have raid cities, resulting in more than 100 ppl in screen with minimum FPS drop.

Whats shardinG? Can any mmo handle 30 people on one screen?

Planetside could handle around 100 smoothly, and in DAOC at first it couldn't handle a lot but as they worked on it we had hundreds at a time in one area battling it out, and World of Warcraft can do it very smoothly. All 3 games are much older than SWTOR.

Edited by Tiam

A staple of WoW gameplay, BGs, feature up to 80 players on the same instance.

Granted, there is not exactly 80 players on the same spot , but it's possible and it don't lag too much.

well truth be told DAoC could handle 100+ in same spot it was laggy but hey it was 2001 so surely in 2011 they can do much better if they build their own engine rather they rely on a 2005 untested engine they bought from the scrapheap.