Why make excuses For MMO's at launch?

Neverendingname

I cant create a single line of Code for a game.

Give me, or any other person who plays mmo's, including yourself, $300 and 6 years?

I could make a game better then this. So can you.

Good luck there, you really have 0 clue about software development (as you stated).

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it much easier to shelve a game I dislike and find something else even after buying rather than arguing on the games forum about it....I buy lots of mmo's and there all good in one way or another, but I don't want to moan about whats not good about them, because it's as much a time sink as other aspects of life. I'm only on this forum at this time in the morning because I have an absess and can't sleep and can't concentrate on gameplay, otherwise I would be enjoying being in the game right now. Not sat here replying to people moaning about simple things in the gaming world:rolleyes:

Because I, stupidly, paid $60 for it and I am still subbed, are you?

Good luck there, you really have 0 clue about software development (as you stated).

I do know what game companies CAN and CANNOT do, depending on money invested.

I've seen it over and over in nearly tens years of mmo playing.

I've done the research, have you?

Well what i keep reading in these threads is mostly people making excuses for MMO's at launch, In my understanding MMO means Massivly Multiplayer Online. Soo why do people make excuses for MMO's at launch?

When we buy an MMO game, we do not buy it for constant bugs and things not working as they should. People make too many excuses for these companies and developers of these games.

Does not matter what excuses are going to be said in this thread. I bought this game for fun and it should not matter if i buy this game at launch, or 6 months after launch i should get the same experiance there is no excuse for that.

What is the point of BETA for soo long if launch is not going to be perfect (or atleast close)

People giving theses companies the excuse of ''ALL MMO'S ARE THE SAME AT LAUNCH'' is not the answer. Giving them this excuse lets them bring out MMO's before they are actually ready giving profit from a game that is still in BETA stages.

SWTOR BETA TESTING

I have read muliple threads about BW not fixing bugs that were reported in BETA and the bugs are still in game, I blame mostly the '' ALL MMO'S ARE THE SAME AT LAUNCH EXCUSES'' without these the companies and developers would work harder to get the MMO up to scratch before launch.

Ok soo i know i am going to get people hating my opinions and soo on but who agrees with me and why ????????

Thanks for your time and patiance this was bigger than i thought i would have been :)

may the force be with u all :)

1) You have no understanding at all of bugs or program coding. Otherwise, if you did, you'd realize that not all bugs can be easily duplicated and fixed in a single run. Some bugs are related to hardware specifications, drivers (i.e. software conflicts), and so on.

2) This is an MMORPG. Massively being part of that, which means to say that it's a massive game with massive world. More so, it's also online. Those two things make it hard to fix every bug and issue. Because it's not small, there's millions to possibly billions to even trillions of lines of code put into it.

3) To expect something to be 100% perfect is too high of expectations and you're living in a fantasy world. Things are never, NEVER perfect. There's no such thing as perfect. One person's perfection is another person's failure.

4) Single player games have the same issues and the same problems. Not just single player games, but all games. All programs, all codes. Ever updated an Android phone? How about everyone's favorite baby the iPhone? I can find roughly 20 articles about each OS having issues at one point or another within the past year. Regular OS features? Same issue.

In closing: BE REALISTIC! If you're not a video game programmer and cannot list a million selling game that you've made, then you have no room to talk about programing, bugs, fixes, or anything else closely related.

and yet not a single game was complete, polished or running without issues, client and server side in most cases.

i once bought some chips i didnt like, needless to say, i emailed the company behind said chips angry rants for 3 weeks.

I have yet to be asked to provide feedback on chips I have purchased, but most MMO's ask for feedback when I cancel.

Perhaps there is a difference between chips and a video game, with regards to customer imput.

and yet not a single game was complete, polished or running without issues, client and server side in most cases.

but the thing is its the people expecting issues at launch that let the compainies have soo many issue's and not have to worry to much about them untill a thew months after launch.

I have yet to be asked to provide feedback on chips I have purchased, but most MMO's ask for feedback when I cancel.

Perhaps there is a difference between chips and a video game, with regards to customer imput.

and you know what the biggest problem is? they never awnsered and the chips are still being sold to a lot of ppl that like them.

crazy i know.

1) You have no understanding at all of bugs or program coding. Otherwise, if you did, you'd realize that not all bugs can be easily duplicated and fixed in a single run. Some bugs are related to hardware specifications, drivers (i.e. software conflicts), and so on.

2) This is an MMORPG. Massively being part of that, which means to say that it's a massive game with massive world. More so, it's also online. Those two things make it hard to fix every bug and issue. Because it's not small, there's millions to possibly billions to even trillions of lines of code put into it.

3) To expect something to be 100% perfect is too high of expectations and you're living in a fantasy world. Things are never, NEVER perfect. There's no such thing as perfect. One person's perfection is another person's failure.

4) Single player games have the same issues and the same problems. Not just single player games, but all games. All programs, all codes. Ever updated an Android phone? How about everyone's favorite baby the iPhone? I can find roughly 20 articles about each OS having issues at one point or another within the past year. Regular OS features? Same issue.

In closing: BE REALISTIC! If you're not a video game programmer and cannot list a million selling game that you've made, then you have no room to talk about programing, bugs, fixes, or anything else closely related.

Its people like u that let them launch with these problems without people like u they would adress these issues before launch and if any started happening after launch they would be dealt with faster.

I think everyone here is aware of bugs in swtor and regardless of people being fans of the game it's not all about that, it's about people who moan and say it's their right to moan and how people who do moan say us fans don't care about the game and comments like it's us casual players wanting everything made easier... This is not the case however, if people wanted to discusse bugs in a reasonable inteligent manner and except that we are all here for one reason only, that being we like the game and want whats best for it. The problem on forums is that people post for the fun of it to whined others up and people moan and insult rather than discussing in a reasonable manner, so people who like the game would rather people who think the only way to get things change is moan or shout would just go away.

If your liking something then your going to want the best for it, but theres no need to make posts that grab attention and cause arguments, just to get your points across. That's why people dislike people who moan none stop. It would be nice for a change for forums to be a place with friendly chat and conversations on bugs gameplay, rather than seeing people being destructive.

Not that it will ever happen in my life time:D

...because no other game in history had this much cash backing it, they were mostly Indy companies with a fraction of Biowares budget.

I can safely say, Fallen Earth, at release, was more polished, complete and "issue" Free then SWToR.

It just didnt have the finances after release to add to the game.

FE's budget, less the 1/10th SWToR's budget.

Well what i keep reading in these threads is mostly people making excuses for MMO's at launch, In my understanding MMO means Massivly Multiplayer Online. Soo why do people make excuses for MMO's at launch?

Acknowledging reality isn't the same thing as making excuses.

The reality is MMOs are buggy. That's not an excuse. That's just the way it is. Water is wet, the sun rises in the east, MMOs are bugfests. Just simple truths.

If you don't like this reality, you shouldn't play MMOs.

Actually the 'use' of this forum is decided by Bioware, and as he has yet to be censored, it would seem he is posting with their permission -- regardless of what some fans may personally think of his posts.

Considering this thread has not been closed, I would say it is an indication that BW approves of the topic and the discussion for the most part.

We have a free speech in this country, saying that I do not have a right to post my opinion because I am not a long term subscriber to SWTOR goes against constitution.

I said it was pointless not wrong or against the forums intent.

As for your second point, if Newton agreed with previous dogmas and didn't not decide to try to disprove them we d still have preNewtonian physics most likely.

preNewtonian physics at the time were taken as fact. He disproved the fact. Some things like what is gamebreaking or what is an incorrect amount of bugs that are in a game at realease. Topics covered in this thread are opinion.

Then provide one gaming name that had zero bugs. In all your "research" you most certainly can provide that now can't you?

Its people like u that let them launch with these problems without people like u they would adress these issues before launch and if any started happening after launch they would be dealt with faster.

because hes being realistic? i can tell you right now i never worked on a software that didnt need a patch or 2 down the road to fix or implement features we didnt have time to polish.

mainly due to deadlines set by clients and/or the company i worked for.

unless you're expecting devs to work on a 24 hour cycle? im pretty sure they pulled work cycles of 16+ hrs for several days if not months, i know i did and its absolutely miserable.

and you know what the biggest problem is? they never awnsered and the chips are still being sold to a lot of ppl that like them.

crazy i know.

But again, the mmorpg gaming market has not has the same pleasure of customer retention across the board -- but rather suffers from lack luster sub retention in most cases.

Again, the difference between comparing 'chips' and 'MMORPGS'.

Standard practice for MMORPGs is to put up forums and allow for criticism, rather than censoring all but positive praise for the game.

In some cases, criticisms that were flamed as 'trolling' and 'QQing', ultimately appears in game patches.

Another common practice, despite Fans expression to the contrary, companies do care that people leave, and often send out 'please come back' emails to lost customers --- rather than telling them 'dont let the door hit you on the way out'.

Seems that despite fans insistence that critics are unwanted, the game companies seem to express a desire to retain or recapture them.

I dare say, that despite all the vitriol thrown by fans, companies actually value critics as customers, desiring to retain their dollar --- conflicting with the 'leave' demands of fans.

As you say. 'crazy'.
;)

Acknowledging reality isn't the same thing as making excuses.

The reality is MMOs are buggy. That's not an excuse. That's just the way it is. Water is wet, the sun rises in the east, MMOs are bugfests. Just simple truths.

If you don't like this reality, you shouldn't play MMOs.

Except that the reality also includes shades of gray, and not just white and black. You are only providing two choices: Bugfest and Bugless. How about something more accurate: Very buggy, buggy, stable, almost no bugs, no bugs?

When we buy an MMO game, we do not buy it for constant bugs and things not working as they should. People make too many excuses for these companies and developers of these games.

Does not matter what excuses are going to be said in this thread. I bought this game for fun and it should not matter if i buy this game at launch, or 6 months after launch i should get the same experiance there is no excuse for that.

What is the point of BETA for soo long if launch is not going to be perfect (or atleast close)

People giving theses companies the excuse of ''ALL MMO'S ARE THE SAME AT LAUNCH'' is not the answer. Giving them this excuse lets them bring out MMO's before they are actually ready giving profit from a game that is still in BETA stages.

SWTOR BETA TESTING

I have read muliple threads about BW not fixing bugs that were reported in BETA and the bugs are still in game, I blame mostly the '' ALL MMO'S ARE THE SAME AT LAUNCH EXCUSES'' without these the companies and developers would work harder to get the MMO up to scratch before launch.

Ok soo i know i am going to get people hating my opinions and soo on but who agrees with me and why ????????

Thanks for your time and patiance this was bigger than i thought i would have been :)

may the force be with u all :)

shouldnt your free month be done?

Then go complain about a games bugs BEFORE launch, if that's your issue.

It's too late now. This game has launched. Sorry you aren't happy with it, but it does have bugs. They will try and fix them as soon as they can.

If that's not acceptable to you, well...you are too late here, sadly.

Are you on the Tera forums telling them they better not launch with bugs? Secret World? South Park, the MMO? There's a bunch of games in development, if you feel so strongly about games being released without any bugs, perhaps your time would be better spent elsewhere, where you can make a difference?

Edited by Skoobie

I said it was pointless not wrong or against the forums intent.

preNewtonian physics at the time were taken as fact. He disproved the fact. Some things like what is gamebreaking or what is an incorrect amount of bugs that are in a game at realease. Topics covered in this thread are opinion.

Except that he didn't "disprove" anything. Because you cannot disprove or prove something in science. All he did was, proving that previous physics were false and provided his own theories which were taking as true until proven otherwise, which Einstein did later and then Einstein was proven wrong by quantum physics also.

Science does not operate on proving facts, it operates on disproving theories.

Edit: looking at my post I did counter argue myself in it. In any case, you should still get the point of it.

Edited by failr

Then go complain about a games bugs BEFORE launch, if that's your issue.

It's too late now. This game has launched. Sorry you aren't happy with it, but it does have bugs. They will try and fix them as soon as they can.

If that's no acceptable to you, well...you are too late.

Are you on the Tera forums telling them they better not launch with bugs? Secret World? South Park, the MMO? There's a bunch of games in development, if you feel so strongly about games being released without any bugs, perhaps your time would be better spent elsewhere, where you can make a difference?

Costumers actually have a certain right to be pissed off if TERA doenst release (NA/EU) in almost perfect conditions, they have that thing running in korea for like half a year so its not on the same boat as TOR.