The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

BW isn't getting the praise they deserve.

XJones

This game is ok its nothing special, I came here with no expectations on what to expect other than a Star Wars theme. It was a last minute purchase, the only lasting impression I have so far is it is a great story driven game for a solo player. PvP is average and its PvCC half of the time, Huttball is terrible and I cannot wait to be able to choose which Warzone I enter, thank goodness I went the Republic side I never want to see Huttball ever again and exit it as soon as I enter it (I know some love it but its really not for me)

The other Warzones are great and I find the style of game to be enjoyable, just not the mass of stuns you often encounter. All in all Bioware did not really make anything remarkable and thus do not deserve a lot of praise. Take ideas from other MMOs that exist and improve on it, do not take backwards steps. There is a reason that some games do well and others do not. Look at what keeps players playing and improve on it.

Agreed. I think Bioware did a good job on the class stories, from what I've witnessed they are enjoyable. The dialogue is good too, in parts. Some of the flashpoints are enjoyable too. But that is only a fraction of the entire game. There are glaring issues with this game. Some of which some people consider to be signatures of what constitutes a product to be capturing the essence of what it is to be a "true" MMO. Maybe those issues will get addresssed? Maybe they won't. Time will tell.

Right now, I think the game falls more into the "fair" category than "good". Certainly not "great" though. yet. Of course, that's just my own opinion.

Edited by Tarka

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I showed you in that link I provided, you are most definately wrong.

Seriously, go read the post I linked you. See which section of the forums it's in and WHO responded.

Your claims are false.

OK ok I give up. You are correct the general cesspool is to get the word out to the devs and they read over these threads like all day and this is your best lines of communication for them. Forget about all the other official avenues set up for those purposes, those are for idiots that cannot post right here in the general forums. Forget about the fact that we state its not the way we want you to communicate your issues, just keep doing it because we love it. Proof is in that the devs will sometimes post right here in general. Issue over and you win.

Agreed. I think Bioware did a good job on the class stories, from what I've witnessed they are enjoyable. The dialogue is good too, in parts. Some of the flashpoints are enjoyable too. But that is only a fraction of the entire game. There are glaring issues with this game. Some of which some people consider to be signatures of what constitutes a product to be capturing the essence of what it is to be a "true" MMO. Maybe those issues will get addresssed? Maybe they won't. Time will tell.

Right now, I think the game falls more into the "fair" category than "good". Certainly not "great" though. yet. Of course, that's just my own opinion.

SWTOR has the potential to be great I think but its going to need work to get there. At the moment we are in an age where a lot of people want instant gratification and a plethora of things to do in a game, what a lot of people want is what WoW provides anyone making an MMO needs to look at WoW and see what it offers and how it makes itself so successful, levelling in SWTOR did not have to be so fast, it used to take ages to get to maximum level in an MMO even vanilla WoW took a while, FFXI used to take really long time time on a scale of a year.

Rift was an ok game, it had a great update schedule with contstant features being added, smooth gameplay, a sword and magic setting but it still did not do too well subscriber wise and after 10 months some of the servers are not looking too healthy. Yet the developers semmed to do almost everything right. Although saying that I believe Trion have posted pretty healthy financial results recently.

I will save the praise for Bioware for when I believe its deserved and right now I do not believe it is. This game can get there and do very well for itsself but you only get one launch and that where the impression is made. Your subscriber retention seems pretty decent judging by what I have seen in game but you need to keep them all happy.

Nah, it's called truth.

The truth of the matter is that we have two groups here.

Group one is paying for a game that they really like a lot (and sometimes say they love) that are getting a lot of hours played and clearly enjoying themselves.

Group two is paying for a game they claim is complete and utter garbage (and sometimes maybe even destroyed their life) that gets no play time because the whole thing is broken trash.

Both groups pay the same amount of money to play the same game. Both groups claim the other is clearly wrong. One group, however, is clearly insane.

You can't put out a game to compete with WoW and have it be inferior to WoW in nearly every facet save story. I mean it's just common sense.

This x 1000.

And no, it doesn't have to compete with WoW's launch nearly a decade ago. It needs to compare with WoW as it IS RIGHT NOW. And they just failed miserably at it. It's an absolute atrocity.

Group one is paying for a game that they really like a lot (and sometimes say they love) that are getting a lot of hours played and clearly enjoying themselves.

Group two is paying for a game they claim is complete and utter garbage (and sometimes maybe even destroyed their life) that gets no play time because the whole thing is broken trash.

Both groups pay the same amount of money to play the same game. Both groups claim the other is clearly wrong. One group, however, is clearly insane.

Ah, this made me giggle.

TOR was an utter failure. The game was all about endgame raiding, and then when you tried to get into an endgame raid you were locked out and it said "Additional Instances Cannot Be Launched at This Time." And leveling was a miserable grind so there was nothing to do. You couldn't get into an instance for hours, and this went on for months.

Oh wait, that wasn't TOR. That was WoW at launch.

Oh wait, that wasn't WoW at launch, that was WoW in their 2nd expansion.

The game is good. I've played better. I've played much much worse.

To the haters, qq more.

To the lovers, I'm in game with ya.

Mam, you are the exact definition of a blind fangirl. Someone who blindly denies any faults in the game, immediately spins anything negative into something negative against the poster, or simply says "baut im not expericnignit that!!??@"

You are what will kill this game sooner than BioWare already has.

This x 1000.

And no, it doesn't have to compete with WoW's launch nearly a decade ago. It needs to compare with WoW as it IS RIGHT NOW. And they just failed miserably at it. It's an absolute atrocity.

I tend to agree. It doesn't even compare to the WoW of a decade ago from an immersion standpoint. Story and VA is all it has that is better, the rest is worse. I generally enjoy ToR right now, but it needs a lot of work. I don't think BW is missing out on any deserved praise.

I agree that there are two groups, but I think they are different than what a previous poster claims. Group 1: unrealistic love/hate towards the game. Group 2: a more realistic take on the pros/cons of the game, generally people who like it and what it could be... but don't ignore the good or bad. Sadly group 2 is a vast minority.

Hey everyone,

We recently had to removed several posts from this thread due to posts that did not contribute constructive discussion. A reminder that regardless of the topic, it is part of our Rules of Conduct that:

• Never insult another member of the community.
  • Respect other community members, whether they agree with you or not.
  • Flag, don't fight. Use the "flag" feature to report posts to our Community Team if you see someone breaking the rules – don't respond to them!
  • Make constructive, on-topic posts that add to the discussion.

Thank you for understanding.

TOR was an utter failure. The game was all about endgame raiding, and then when you tried to get into an endgame raid you were locked out and it said "Additional Instances Cannot Be Launched at This Time." And leveling was a miserable grind so there was nothing to do. You couldn't get into an instance for hours, and this went on for months.

Oh wait, that wasn't TOR. That was WoW at launch.

Oh wait, that wasn't WoW at launch, that was WoW in their 2nd expansion.

I remember that old doughnut, wasn't that because everyone wanted to see everything at once and the instance servers were strained well beyond capacity?

I actually never saw people leave because of it since what they were waiting for was still fun.

I quit TOR because it didn't feel like Star Wars to me and that it made me feel I stepped back into an alternate 2004 where everything was worse for some reason, which is not a good thing.

Probably one of my better reasons, I quit Guild Wars because I couldn't jump.

Edited by Quaade

There are 3 groups, not 2.

#1 - The blind fanboys.

#2 - The glaring haters.

#3 - And the majority, which recognize the game has flaws and isn't perfect.

Group #3 is always lumped in with group #2 by group #1. And you are clearly one of those doing the lumping.

I remember that old doughnut, wasn't that because everyone wanted to see everything at once and the instance servers were strained well beyond capacity?

I actually never saw people leave because of it since what they were waiting for was still fun.

I quit TOR because it didn't feel like Star Wars to me and that is made me feel I stepped back into 2004, which is not a good thing.

Probably one of my better reasons, I quit Guild Wars because I couldn't jump.

See everything at once? Lol?

People wanted to play the endgame, which required entering instances.

I mean, I'm not knocking you for quitting. If you didn't enjoy the game, I hope you find something you like better. I'm just trying to add a sense of perspective. I want to point out that even MMO's with years of "polish" have had problems even worse than what TOR has now.

WoW was a steaming pile of **** compared to this when it first launched.

Bioware has successfully included early-to-endgame PvP, Dungeons, and Raid content "AT LAUNCH". No other game I know of did all of that quite so well.

Bioware is actively and rapidly rolling out bug fixes, balance changes, and tweaks. Just one example is lvl 50s being locked up in their own bracket so that they and their expertise-rich gear don't stomp lowbies.

I've heard cross-server battle matching and Dungeonfinder-esque tools are en route.

This game isn't as tuned up as WoW, but give it 6 months, and most of these hatorade squealers trying to undermine BW's rap sheet will either be gone or convinced. Remember that MMO's are ongoing projects. You did not purchase a finished game. No MMO is ever finished.

Mam, you are the exact definition of a blind fangirl. Someone who blindly denies any faults in the game, immediately spins anything negative into something negative against the poster, or simply says "baut im not expericnignit that!!??@"

You are what will kill this game sooner than BioWare already has.

You asume to much. Where did I say there were no faults in the game.

I CAN see the potential of the game and look forward to seeing how it grows.

Do you really think that bugs will last forever?

I have no sympathy for you or any like you. To hate with such passion.

I think BW is taking things in the right direction.

Now, can we have any info on the GTN?

WoW was a steaming pile of **** compared to this when it first launched.

Bioware has successfully included early-to-endgame PvP, Dungeons, and Raid content "AT LAUNCH". No other game I know of did all of that quite so well.

Bioware is actively and rapidly rolling out bug fixes, balance changes, and tweaks. Just one example is lvl 50s being locked up in their own bracket so that they and their expertise-rich gear don't stomp lowbies.

I've heard cross-server battle matching and Dungeonfinder-esque tools are en route.

This game isn't as tuned up as WoW, but give it 6 months, and most of these hatorade squealers trying to undermine BW's rap sheet will either be gone or convinced. Remember that MMO's are ongoing projects. You did not purchase a finished game. No MMO is ever finished.

I'll go so far as to contend that it's better than WoW even later. I started playing WoW at launch, and there were serious bugs that still hadn't been fixed when I quit just before Cata.