We want Arenas in SWTOR!

Lucies

I always wonder why people want arenas when the love pvp? Arena is no PVP, Open Pvp is real pvp, so im voting for some good opvp instead of instanced arena and more warfronts!

Open World PVP is the most skill-less and pointless PVP to ever be invented.

DURRR I WENT AND RECRUITED MORE MENZ, I WIN!

Open World PVP and "real PVP" should never even be in adjoining posts to each other, let alone in the same sentence.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Open World PVP is the most skill-less and pointless PVP to ever be invented.

DURRR I WENT AND RECRUITED MORE MENZ, I WIN!

Open World PVP and "real PVP" should never even be in adjoining posts to each other, let alone in the same sentence.

Open PvP doesn't have to be a zerg fight, any more than Arena is a gear fest, to assume Open PvP is automatically skill-less because there is a potential to have greater numbers is quite short sighted. You completely ignore the other aspects of it, such as fighting greater numbers (which many find fun), or the random variables such as uneven terrain or adds that make fights exciting :)

See daoc for a perfect example.

I'm all for Arena, as long as it's not mandatory for the best PvP gear, and the game isn't balanced around it.

Absolutely not. Arena came to dominate every class decision made in WoW. The first question developers had to ask themselves when making a change was: "How does this affect arena?" It also was the main reason for the homogenization of classes because arena players complained about how X class had an ability that their Y class did not, and that wasn't fair in arena.

Arena's impact on WoW was overwhelmingly negative, for all aspects of the game.

Open PvP doesn't have to be a zerg fight, any more than Arena is a gear fest, to assume Open PvP is automatically skill-less because there is a potential to have greater numbers is quite short sighted. You completely ignore the other aspects of it, such as fighting greater numbers (which many find fun), or the random variables such as uneven terrain or adds that make fights exciting :)

See daoc for a perfect example.

I'm all for Arena, as long as it's not mandatory for the best PvP gear, and the game isn't balanced around it.

In order for PVP to be skill sensitive, and for you to be responsible for your positioning, healing, damage and survival the teams must be equal.

There is no skill sensitive PVP if you can trivialize any measurement of skill with greater numbers. This is why people get so outraged when 12 people show up on the opposing team in Warzones.

In order for PVP to be skill sensitive, and for you to be responsible for your positioning, healing, damage and survival the teams must be equal.

There is no skill sensitive PVP if you can trivialize any measurement of skill with greater numbers. This is why people get so outraged when 12 people show up on the opposing team in Warzones.

There's no "skill" in Arena. I got 2050 in TBC and 2300 in WOTLK with a finger up my nose with absolutely horrible setups. The only "skill" that was needed in 2v2 and 3v3 was communicating on TS and synchronizing pillar-dancing.

5v5, essentially, was all CC+focusfire. Also, lolcleave.

It was a horrible way to gauge efficiency of classes in PvP outside canned group duels. It also made the "skill" claims of "leet" high-rated "PvPers" laughable.

And no, you can't trivialize "any" measurement of skill with greater numbers. My Tank+DPS+healer premade regularly holds Alderaan points 3 vs 6+. We also tank a full enemy team at the Voidstar gates (first gate=lol, pillar-kiting - too damn familiar). Ilum, unless the numeric advantage is too ridiculous, is also exceptionally fun, at times. Granted, most times we face disorganized pugs, but hey - that doesn't change the fact that coordination (reasonably) trumps numbers.

Dont come with this skill stuff over to me.

Arena was much more a combo making place than a skill one.Get a great combo win all the matches.

Dont come with this skill stuff over to me.

Arena was much more a combo making place than a skill one.Get a great combo win all the matches.

The only type of Arena I'd like to see is Huttball. The sheer entertainment value of this Warzone, when played by premades, alone is worth it.

I'm fine with arena-like game play, as long as it only rewards players with aesthetic things, like mounts/titles/accessories/clothing that give NO special PvP bonues/advantages.

So, no arena gear.

In my head, I picture it as just another type of warzone—2 vs 2, 3 vs 3, and even 1 vs 1 could be fun.

Go nuts, have a ranking system (and even a less competitive non-ranked arena to practice in).

The more variety of PvP, the better.

Just don't base nerf/buff decisions around arena play, and all will be fine.

There's no "skill" in Arena. I got 2050 in TBC and 2300 in WOTLK with a finger up my nose with absolutely horrible setups. The only "skill" that was needed in 2v2 and 3v3 was communicating on TS and synchronizing pillar-dancing.

5v5, essentially, was all CC+focusfire. Also, lolcleave.

It was a horrible way to gauge efficiency of classes in PvP outside canned group duels. It also made the "skill" claims of "leet" high-rated "PvPers" laughable.

And no, you can't trivialize "any" measurement of skill with greater numbers. My Tank+DPS+healer premade regularly holds Alderaan points 3 vs 6+. We also tank a full enemy team at the Voidstar gates (first gate=lol, pillar-kiting - too damn familiar). Ilum, unless the numeric advantage is too ridiculous, is also exceptionally fun, at times. Granted, most times we face disorganized pugs, but hey - that doesn't change the fact that coordination (reasonably) trumps numbers.

I didn't say arena was some pinnacle of skill.

I was simply pointing out how absolutely abysmal Openworld PVP is for measuring individual contributions and skill. You can only make so much a difference in the lag, sea of aoe's, and zergyness of it all.

While it can be mildly fun, I quickly bore of it when it basically just boils down to numbers, aoe's, and healers. The strategy required of open world pvp is pretty bottom barrel.

I actually think arena should not exist in this game. Because this game is structured horribly for it, not because arena has some inherent flaw.

Every post I've made in this thread and others is that Open World PVP=terrible, arena=good, but not for this game, rated warzones=good for this game.

Edited by Vlaid

I didn't say arena was some pinnacle of skill.

I was simply pointing out how absolutely abysmal Openworld PVP is for measuring individual contributions and skill. You can only make so much a difference in the lag, sea of aoe's, and zergyness of it all.

While it can be mildly fun, I quickly bore of it when it basically just boils down to numbers, aoe's, and healers. The strategy required of open world pvp is pretty bottom barrel.

I actually think arena should not exist in this game. Because this game is structured horribly for it, not because arena has some inherent flaw.

Every post I've made in this thread and others is that Open World PVP=terrible, arena=good, but not for this game, rated warzones=good for this game.

Think wider. World PvP isn't zerg vs zerg - well, it may be if it's pugs grinding eachother for frags. But true world PvP has lot more strategy to it. Did some fun stuff on Ilum recently. Our Watchman charged into a huge horde of Imps, dropped a Sweep, Cloaked and ran off, got pulled by a Sage.

The herd of Imps were jumping about like insane, spamming AoE, an Entrenched GS with a healer behind him poured some fire on them, two Imps get pulled, we put Exhaustion on them, then two geared, shielded, HoTed, stimmed Focus Guardians + 1 tank Guardian (me - my task was dropping an AoE taunt and Awe after the bombs hit) charge in, dropping massive Focus bombs, killing several people. Then we frakking pushed.

A massive horde of base-camping Imps was turned by a 8-person raid. It was beautiful. It was glorious. And, more importantly, it was *fun*.

Edited by Helig

Most of us don't.

But if you want to bring more players to join the game then you have to make stuff that appeals to a wider group of people.

Lots of people want some sort of arena type combat so it'd be in Biowares interest to make it.

As long as it's not made so that you have to play it to get the high end PvP gear I don't see the problem.

But if you want to bring more players to join the game then you have to make stuff that appeals to a wider group of people.

You mean like pands, pokemons, items that level with you so you don't have to replace them and nerfing content by 50% as soon as someone on forum posts that they can't kill a boss in random PUG with DPS only and one healer they are entitled to kill because they pay sub?

No, thanks.

Edited by Lerdoc