We want Arenas in SWTOR!

Lucies

Arenas destroyed wow pvp so definitely no, keep that garbage far away from this game.

While I don't agree that it was the arenas that destroyed pvp (rather Cross realm and battlemasters) it surely did ruin the community playing it.

The arena introduced extrem elitism and segregation in the pvp community. Rank scores where used for arguments and the term scrub become the most used insult around. Was bloody impossible to have a decent discussion.

So no, no arenas. Or don't make them important. Let the WZs be the primary competative pvp experience (Since I'm sure the world pvp is allready dead due to the WZ que mechanic) and add the arenas more like a fun thing if it has to be added.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I don't agree that it was the arenas that destroyed pvp (rather Cross realm and battlemasters) it surely did ruin the community playing it.

The arena introduced extrem elitism and segregation in the pvp community. Rank scores where used for arguments and the term scrub become the most used insult around. Was bloody impossible to have a decent discussion.

So no, no arenas. Or don't make them important. Let the WZs be the primary competative pvp experience (Since I'm sure the world pvp is allready dead due to the WZ que mechanic) and add the arenas more like a fun thing if it has to be added.

Wow, you did bring up one of the more polarizing aspects of arena that I'm not sure many people have even mentioned, you are completely correct though. Without a 2200 rating, your word really counted for nothing in a PvP related discussion, and the trolling of arena ratings got to the point where level 10 faceless alts were calling people out for not having 2200.

Can't believe people would want that going on here.

People are always going to find something to use as a symbol of superiority. Don't people already do that with level, gear, pvp rank, years played, etc.? Not sure that is a good reason to deny a meaningful and fun type of game play option.

My only concern about arenas, is that I don't think it should yield significantly better gear, effectively forcing people to do it. I also think they should spread out some gear slots between arenas and WZ to encourage people to do both. But these are simply itemization issues - no reason to flat out deny the arena system for those who enjoy it.

Yea, I agree arenas shouldn't yield better gear than anything else. But I don't think we should worry about the few cocky e-tough people and their forum rants. I just tend to ignore them and continue enjoying playing the game ;)

Edited by Quibbling

When a WoW lead developer made the mistake of admitting Arenas where a failure you know it's bad, they shut him up fast.

Can you link the post of his mistake (wow arena was the best time I"VE had playing MMOs, can't say for everyones experience just MINE)? How bout play it if you like it or keep doing the daily missions? or what ever else you you non pvpers like to do in this game. If they dont force you to play it to get superior gear, how can additions that don't involve your tastes be bad???

Arenas destroyed wow pvp so definitely no, keep that garbage far away from this game.

No, the way Blizzard designed the arena system compared to all other pvp play was the problem imo.

Edited by Danubus

Was this a fault of design or human emotion?

I'll take arena if they remove expertise, add world pvp, and make its rewards on par with world pvp, such that arena is about skill and competition and is completely optional.

World PVP is almost impossible to organise and isn't a fair fight usually. Expertise is a needed stat and if you have played another MMO you would understand this. It has been explained a hundred times on this forum already.

I was never very good at arena in WOW (could only manage 2.1k+ rating) but I enjoyed it thoroughly because it was a fair fight. You could outplay the opposition or be outplayed. Even with class imbalances etc.

Would love to see the arena in this game...Although I am enjoying huttball a lot.

Edit: please don't allow pve gear in arena it causes massive imbalances.

Edited by stevewilson

/signed.

You guys make terrible excuses.

From the early days of UO until today, I enjoyed pvp.

Just to give a popular example, I throw WoW into the mix. In WoW; I spend my time doing pvp, instead of doing 40 (later 20 man) raids with dumb *** people. Besides raids almost felt like homework, because in order to progress and satisfy yourself, you needed to do raids at certain times on certain days.

Now that's slavery.

On the other hand; I pvped whenever I wanted to. When they finally introduced arenas, I needed 1 or 2 other people to actually have some competition, not 20.

In UO we had sort of a system going on with PKs and full loot. You could lose stuff and gain some stuff, so at the core, the system had FREEDOM, where you felt like you are fighting for your life and earnings. But its gone, so a new sort of challenge is necessary.

If you are using the ''Arena killed world pvp'' argument, you are totally wrong. Battlegrounds did that. I myself, as an old-school gamer, miss the old days of RVR - open world pvp glory, but with the current mmorpg systems and playerbase, I don't see it happening again.

Now the rules/restrictions/suggestions if such system was added to the game:

1. No high-tier pve gear effective in pvp.

2. Add no specific gear tier for Arena, instead make Arena useful to obtain high-end gear (in this case, certain ranking could give battlemaster tokens, until they add a new tier) Therefore non pvp-ers will get the chance to wear the same gear.

Or you can make Arena specific gear for different specs and classes. Those could be called ''Arena Gear'' and could not be used outside of arenas.

End of gear discussion.

3. Matches could give a minor amount valor. Roughly between 50-100? Allow people to farm valor through arenas.

Edited by Kipchak

Arenas Destroyed

a) World PvP

b) Fun in Pvp

c) Bgs

And who's "we". You want Arenas in Swtor. I prefer Warzones. make it Premade and Rated if you want. But no more hamster chace healer and pillar huging PvP. Thats not PvP thats *****.

Arenas Destroyed

a) World PvP

b) Fun in Pvp

c) Bgs

And who's "we". You want Arenas in Swtor. I prefer Warzones. make it Premade and Rated if you want. But no more hamster chace healer and pillar huging PvP. Thats not PvP thats *****.

BG, WZ--- these things destroyed world pvp

I would like arena style pvp, but only if you couldn't get gear from it.

I enjoyed arena, although I never got to a high level with it in WOTLK.

I prefered it to BG as you're playing with a friend or two rather than a load of random people who you don't know and end up carrying the no hopers.

The gear doesn't have to be better than the WZ gear, but it should be for more than titles etc other wise people won't play it.

It's all about the numbers! :D

But imagine how awesome it could be to have a tournament that players can spectate/watch 2 gladiators bashing on each other to death.

just thinking it would be awesome if it will be a bit different then WoW.

and ofc some awesome social rewards for the winners and people could sign to the tournament.