Is SWTOR the victim of WOW burnout?

cronpants

I've read alot of the gripes and complaints on these forums, and i've come to the conclusion that the level of intolerance for bugs and tech issues is way beyond anything i've seen in any other game. The first few month of wow's launch, we experienced up to 20+ days of server down time. During that time i didn't feel the hatred i feel in the swtor forums. Personally I blame the burned out wowers who built unrealistic expectations.

Thoughts?

Edited by cronpants

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read alot of the gripes and complaints on these forums, and i've come to the conclusion that the level of intolerance for bugs and tech issues is way beyond anything i've seen in any other game. The first few month of wow's launch, we experienced up to 20+ days of server down time. During that time i didn't feel the hatred i feel in the swtor forums. Personally I blame the burned out wowers who built unrealistic expectations.

Thoughts?

Your memory substantially differs from mine. I was there too and I remember it was like an online version of the French Revolution.

It's a victim of a noob studio with no idea how to make a SP into an MMO. Not saying it's easy, but some decisions have just been bad. Plus it's a victim of being released in such a bare bones state/buggy to hell and back.

If it's a victim, so are we, and the murderer is Bioware!:eek:

Wouldn't you be upset if you bough a car with no wheels, doors or windshield? That is how WoW-players feel when they buy an MMO with no responsive UI, no open gameworld, no endgame, no combat log or chat bubbles or sitting/lying down or swimming or wandering mobs or critters or ambient sounds or day/night cycles or a ton of other staple features of the genre. Edited by Taurusaud

The players are burned out on games *like* WoW. I myself played it for more than six years and the experience did get stale. I only played a few weeks of Cataclysm before I just got fed up with the whole "grind to max level, gear up in dungeons, raid, do dailies, etc." design that I was permanently turned off from it. WoW's population has been in decline since Cataclysm so I would wager to guess that there are others who are of the same opinion as me.

BioWare had an incredible opportunity on their hands. They had an opportunity to deliver a truly innovative and fresh take on the MMO genre - a take barely, if at all, reminiscent of WoW. Instead what the players got was WoW surgically removed from Azeroth and transposed into the Star Wars universe.

I hold nothing against the players and their expectations for something more. In fact I sympathize with them.

Not sure where this downtime figure came from. Besides a very rare short outage the first month was almost downtime free on my server.

He's talking about wow at launch. At one point it was down for an entire week straight IIRC.

The internet is more widespread. The newer generation is more dependable than ever of it and cant see outside its scope. They feed on the sense of power anonimaty gives them and they feel its cool to hate on everything.

They also have no realistic views of what it means to fund and develop a game of this magnitude and use whats been achieved thus far by WoW has the norm.

In short, the ignorance on the internet achieves new low's everyday. This is another piece of evidance of that fact.

Edited by Nemmar

yes, thats why i chose not to play WoW .. I did however play it for 20 minutes, but that was after I quit the grind fest that was SWG .. i coldnt bare to grind any longer and will never do that again ..

i have yet to feel like im grinding in SWG .. for that, BIOWARE is a winner

Thoughts?

I think that has something to do with it. TOR is so much like WoW in the way it plays that some people who were just bored senseless with WoW were bound to quickly get bored with TOR.

Thoughts?

First of all SWTOR is not competing the MMOs of 7 years ago. It is competing with the MMOs of today (primarily WoW and in the future, GW2 and Tera). The market and expectations for ALL games were very different 7 years ago. The gaming industry has matured and today we all expect a certain level of polish in released games. Any comparison of SWTOR's release and WoWs release is wrong.

Second, many of the issues raised by people are actually very viable ussues and not unrealistic at all. From ability delay to lack of playable engame content and lack of serious PvP are all very important and viable issues. In other words, most players up to now have not complained about that little stuff at all. So your characterization of unrealistic expectations is wrong.

Thoughts?

I applaud you, sir.

You've figured out the meaning of life (of this MMO).

In all seriousness though, I don't understand how people can complain this much. The first few months of an MMO are going to be frustrating as all hell. If you weren't around for WoW's launch, I'm actually really pleased for you.

While I'll agree, this game should not have been released without a combat log, honestly I would have preferred the game come out in February or May than deal with some of the things I'm dealing with; I understand how hard it is to run a game with cretins who have the highest expectations after I bet jumping into a game like WoW 5 years after production (when WoTLK came out) and it having all the features it does now.

Swtor is EXACTLY like vanilla WoW. With all of it's amazing aspects (including no LFG/LFR garbage - Which takes away from building a community) and some of it's bad (Mainly all the bugs and no major customization).

All in all, the game is coming into place nicely. But as I said, I'd have preferred it come out in 2012 than when it did.

Have some patience, children.

-Aerolith

20+ days of server downtime? What?

I was there from day one. The first few days were iffy, but the servers were up more often than not. Certainly nothing like a 20 day blackout.

Is it a victim of WoW burnout? Absolutely. Many people were already bored with WoW, then come here and find it's not much different. But y'know, that's actually the game being a victim of its own design. An innovative piece would invigorate consumers.

The internet is more widespread. The newer generation is more dependable than ever of it and cant see outside its scope. They feed on the sense of power anonimaty gives them and they feel its cool to hate on everything.

They also have no realistic views of what it means to fund and develop a game of this magnitude.

In short, the ignorance on the internet achieves new low's everyday. This is another piece of evidance of that fact.

Very true.

The players are burned out on games *like* WoW. I myself played it for more than six years and the experience did get stale. I only played a few weeks of Cataclysm before I just got fed up with the whole "grind to max level, gear up in dungeons, raid, do dailies, etc." design that I was permanently turned off from it. WoW's population has been in decline since Cataclysm so I would wager to guess that there are others who are of the same opinion as me.

BioWare had an incredible opportunity on their hands. They had an opportunity to deliver a truly innovative and fresh take on the MMO genre - a take barely, if at all, reminiscent of WoW. Instead what the players got was WoW surgically removed from Azeroth and transposed into the Star Wars universe.

I hold nothing against the players and their expectations for something more. In fact I sympathize with them.

What? SWTOR isn't new or truly innovative, it's almost a carbon copy of WoW, only with lightsabers.

The real issue is TOR has to compete with WoW from 2011/2012 not WoW from 2004. Bioware/EA charge 15 bucks a month the same as Blizzard charges thus they must think there product is as polished or more so then Blizzards.

I'm sorry if some peoples standards went up over the last 8 years but it has.

Wouldn't you be upset if you bough a car with no wheels, doors or windshield? That is how WoW-players feel when they buy an MMO with no responsive UI, no open gameworld, no endgame, no combat log or chat bubbles or sitting/lying down or swimming or wandering mobs or critters or ambient sounds or day/night cycles or a ton of other staple features of the genre.

Really all the problems suck but everyone keeps referencing buying a car. Does your car cost 60 dollars and then 15 dollars of gas each month?? If so then No, i would not be upset if i bought a car for 60 dollars that had no wheels, doors or windshield.