Let's have appearance slots

Sonnya

I suggest implementing a seperate item slot set, only for appearance. That way you aren't forced to wear Orange gear just for looks. Sometimes you find a blue (or green) item that you would like to wear for looks, but the stats are simply too poor to use it.

If you put an item in an appearance slot, your character will display that item. Stats will still come from whatever is worn in the normal equipment slot. Items put into an appearance slot will not give any stat benefit at all.

If an appearance slot is empty, it will display the item that is in the normal equipment slot.

Not really. While Orange gear allows you to keep the look of the orange piece from level 9 to 50, it's not really what i'm asking for. It's only a limited part of it, since you can only display orange item pieces.

What if I want to display a blue or green item? Why should I not have that option?

Also, with orange gear I have to focus on upgrading all the modifications in there. It's a mini-game to give crafters something to make. I don't mind it at all, but would like more options for choosing appearance.

Appearance slot are an excellent idea; yes, orange gear can be worn forever if you like the appearance, but its not like there's a ton of variety in the sets if you wanted to change it up.

There's also the case of raid/Operations gear; the mods apparently can't be taken out of it. Therefore, like it or not, if you want top end gear you have to look the same as everyone else in top end gear. Same story with high end PVP gear.

No appearance tabs, but there should be a way to turn a green/blue/purple item into an orange item. I really don't want to see a Sith warrior running around in a slave girl outfit and it acting as heavy armor.

made me chuckle.

thats the problem with an appearance tab. that, and there is no possible logical way you can justify it when thinking about it in the real world.

No appearance tabs, but there should be a way to turn a green/blue/purple item into an orange item. I really don't want to see a Sith warrior running around in a slave girl outfit and it acting as heavy armor.

All items should be turnable in orange.

Still I don't mind a half naked Sith tanking at all. Isn't the force supposed to be stronger than any armor? And for classes like BH/IA/Trooper/Smuggler this can certainly be made realistic with let's say techies goodies like PSG.

More flexibility the better.

Agree 100%

Heres an idea I posted a while ago in diff thread.

Create some sort of NPC master crafter in game.

1.Give him Armour/Weapon you like the 'look' of.

2. Give him Armour/Weapon with the Stats/Mod slots you want.

3. Pay him credits for change.

4. You get Armour/Weapon back with the 'look' and Stats/Mod slots and possibly named by you.

Class restrictions would still apply etc. This would save the hassle of an appearance tab and still have the same result.

I will have my 'Hoth Trooper Armour of Spikiness', oh yes!!!

Heres an idea I posted a while ago in diff thread.

Create some sort of NPC master crafter in game.

1.Give him Armour/Weapon you like the 'look' of.

2. Give him Armour/Weapon with the Stats/Mod slots you want.

3. Pay him credits for change.

4. You get Armour/Weapon back with the 'look' and Stats/Mod slots and possibly named by you.

Class restrictions would still apply etc. This would save the hassle of an appearance tab and still have the same result.

I will have my 'Hoth Trooper Armour of Spikiness', oh yes!!!

Would armor restrictions still apply? light to light, heavy to heavy? if not you still have the issue of people wearing a slave girl outfit as heavy armor, i'm not a roleplayer really but I still have the belief that a trooper should be in heavy armor and a sith warrior shouldn't be dressed up in a imperial uniform for protection, it just doesn't look right otherwise.

Ah yeah, keep current restrictions man. Just a way to get the 'look' you want within the current game limits. I agree that a tank in a bikini would look stupid. (funny for the first 20 seconds though)

:)

That's why I think someone who can just turn your armor into an empty orange would be good (since they are making the armor plates in tier gear removable). Or make it so that crafters can learn an orange pattern of any armor by reverse engineering it.

That's why I think someone who can just turn your armor into an empty orange would be good (since they are making the armor plates in tier gear removable). Or make it so that crafters can learn an orange pattern of any armor by reverse engineering it.

That RE into an Orange piece idea is very good, would probably be an even easier 'fix' for something a lot of players would like to see.

I agree with Sonnya wholeheartedly. My smuggler has looked like a Coast Guard worker, Hipster, and now Jedi with what i've been limited to with Orange/slottable gear. I'm not sure if there arent that many visual templates, but it'd be great if we could take items/armor/mods or simply credits to someone and have them craft the appearance of it. I know theres also matching armor bonuses, but usually you've got higher level stat items that either mean taking a dive in stats to keep a visual continuity, or looking like you've been looting corpses for boots.

DCUO did a pretty cool version of 'switching armor but keeping the visuals', i think it'd be great if SWTOR did the same thing to keep people more individualized. After all, unlike most MMO's the story is written for the individual, why not have the look go that way too.

• 3 months later...
I also think we should have appearance slots, honestly i really dont like the color orange, they should make a slot on the armor so you can change the color and/or shape of the armor so you get what you want, not just green or blue but all colors, and add an additional creation slot on companions so they can craft mods for appearance, that would be awesome

Isn't this exactly why Orange-quality gear was created? So you could wear something you liked the look of regardless of what level you were, by updating the mods in it?

There is like dozen of armor skin unavailable as orange gear. And then, there is only a few of them we can crit craft.

made me chuckle.

thats the problem with an appearance tab. that, and there is no possible logical way you can justify it when thinking about it in the real world.

Yeah, because using the force, a ligthsaber, and having an health bar is so logical when compared to RL ?

IRL, my trooper would have an armor for free, just because he is part of the army.

Stop comparing IRL to SW games, it's stupid.

Also, we can talk about the social gear (light armor, always) which looks like heavy armor ? Imperial collector vendor, who sell the full imperial trooper armor, for example. Also, worth mentioning, the new containment armor, light armor, looks like trooper armor (heavy).

But an assassin tanking with a slave girl outfit makes sense, right ? Yet they can with no penalty.

Anyway, you can make restriction if it's the only thing you care. Appearance tab is still an obvious and good choice.

Edited by erei

He has a point though, as far as I am aware there are way more armour skins in game than are used by Orange gear.
The developers are already addressing this. They're adding orange shells to the game with each update with the stated intent of eventually having an orange schematic for every combination of model and texture in the game.

As a result, appearance tabs are unneeded and would be a waste of time in SWTOR.

Edited by HeavensAgent

I'll be honest, at first I thought the orange gear system would be great for making my character look like I wanted, but I have since found otherwise and would love an appearance tab. It is far simpler to just buy one new item (pants) to upgrade a slot instead of three (armoring, mod, enhancement). But the biggest issue for me is that there are many pieces of green/blue gear that simply do not have orange versions. And so far people don't seem to be having luck finding any new orange sythweaving/armormech recipes post-1.2.

I do think orange gear is excellent for customizing your stats at least, though!

As for the "but people will wear outfits that don't make sense!" concern . . . that is already a part of the game. ^^ My Smuggler can dress like a Jedi or wear a ridiculously impractical orange cape, Bounty Hunters can dress like Sith, my Consular can wear "heavy armor" looking social gear, etc.

Isn't this exactly why Orange-quality gear was created? So you could wear something you liked the look of regardless of what level you were, by updating the mods in it?

Partly, except orange quality gears are crappily implemented and are mostly palette swaps of each other.

Orange gears are mainly used for the stat configurations, which is a completely different part of the game than cosmetic changes.

Not to mention the excessive cost of pulling and removing mods, as well as the lack of balance in terms of armor types for social orange armors.

Yes, they are working on "adaptive gears" for social gears, but if they just put in appearance tabs, social items can be used without the need to make the gear change its armor type based on players. Adaptive gears is likely to be bugged right out of release, if they ever get around to it as even I can see the many problems of trying to change a gear's properties with that many variables available for the players.

The solution to appearance problems have long since been completed and perfected, appearance tabs and item remodeling has always been the final step in terms of balancing appearance and player choice.

Currently the game is NOT in favor of players customizing their appearance by their own choices, visibly evident with the insistence on NOT including a proper gear dye/paint system, palette swapping for the entire game, and the low priority placing on barbershop feature.

If they simply add in appearance tabs, that's one problem solved for good with this game.

But they don't, they want to be "unique" and invest months of time and waste it away with solutions that are still buggy and completely lacking in ability to deliver the intended purpose. Unify to chest for example, is still a poor excuse in terms of customizing player appearance. You're now more or less the same shade of black or brown all over compared to before due the lack of palette variety in chest piece colors. Not to mention the helmets are now bugged with the implementation of this option as it either doesn't unify or it makes it disappear altogether.

They have available a solution that's tested and favored by most for years, yet they don't want to listen to the people that care and play these games and insist on wasting both our time on meaningless and useless features that people don't want.

I'd much rather they just stop working on adaptive gears for social armor types and just focus on making appearance tabs and a proper gear dye system up and running. This isn't clone wars and it should never have been the clone wars that we're getting. We've been telling them to do this since beta and they have yet to listen to the more experienced customers they're supposed to cater to. They've wasted more than 6 months by not listening and doing the wrong things, there are other places to make this game more unique, player appearance customization isn't one of them when you can't and haven't been able do it properly after several iterations.

Partly, except orange quality gears are crappily implemented and are mostly palette swaps of each other.

Orange gears are mainly used for the stat configurations, which is a completely different part of the game than cosmetic changes.

Not to mention the excessive cost of pulling and removing mods, as well as the lack of balance in terms of armor types for social orange armors.

Yes, they are working on "adaptive gears" for social gears, but if they just put in appearance tabs, social items can be used without the need to make the gear change its armor type based on players. Adaptive gears is likely to be bugged right out of release, if they ever get around to it as even I can see the many problems of trying to change a gear's properties with that many variables available for the players.

The solution to appearance problems have long since been completed and perfected, appearance tabs and item remodeling has always been the final step in terms of balancing appearance and player choice.

Currently the game is NOT in favor of players customizing their appearance by their own choices, visibly evident with the insistence on NOT including a proper gear dye/paint system, palette swapping for the entire game, and the low priority placing on barbershop feature.

If they simply add in appearance tabs, that's one problem solved for good with this game.

But they don't, they want to be "unique" and invest months of time and waste it away with solutions that are still buggy and completely lacking in ability to deliver the intended purpose. Unify to chest for example, is still a poor excuse in terms of customizing player appearance. You're now more or less the same shade of black or brown all over compared to before due the lack of palette variety in chest piece colors. Not to mention the helmets are now bugged with the implementation of this option as it either doesn't unify or it makes it disappear altogether.

They have available a solution that's tested and favored by most for years, yet they don't want to listen to the people that care and play these games and insist on wasting both our time on meaningless and useless features that people don't want.

I'd much rather they just stop working on adaptive gears for social armor types and just focus on making appearance tabs and a proper gear dye system up and running. This isn't clone wars and it should never have been the clone wars that we're getting. We've been telling them to do this since beta and they have yet to listen to the more experienced customers they're supposed to cater to. They've wasted more than 6 months by not listening and doing the wrong things, there are other places to make this game more unique, player appearance customization isn't one of them when you can't and haven't been able do it properly after several iterations.

tl;dr this system isnt the same as the system in game x, so its terrible.

seriously. dye systems are almost universally bad, for a number of reasons, all of which have been explained countless times on there, and many other boards. besides that, attempting to imply that the devs dont care about customization because other features are deemed "more important" is pretty disingenuous, and really unfair. barber shop in general is really a minor thing, while nice to have, its nowhere near the kind of necessity that transfers, lfg, new content, etc are, and im a very character centric player. the gear is out there. there really isnt all that many palette swaps either, if anything i think there should be more of those. a great number of those you are referring to as palette swaps im willing to bet are the different pieces with or without hoods and such, since there are a large number of those kinds of patterns around. i personally find it really hard to believe that between all of the different sources available you cant find a minimum of 5 outfits that you like for any of your toons. the bigger issue i have found is outfitting companions, since a large chunk of patterns are class specific and they cant wear them. but that really belongs to a different thread.

as to the whine about mod pulling, besides the obvious that cash is REALLY easy to come by, if the "cost" is too high, collect multiple mods. i know that i personally have 3 sets at almost 140 bis, with another 2 that are "close enough" that i dont feel any problems with wardrobe.

im really surprised, and mildly amused, that you are getting so worked up to rant this much about this minor of an issue.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.