New cooldown icon effect bothering anyone else?

Parthenon

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but limited time and no search feature is keeping me from finding it.

I was just curious: does anyone else feel like the new cooldown change from the latest patch is just...wrong?

I'm referring to the change that makes powers on CD NOT be greyed out, but instead keeps them lit up if the conditions to activate that power are met.

I play as a Jedi Guardian, and since JK's powers are mostly tinted a bright blue, and since the cooldown "countdown" bar on the icon is a shade of blue, if I have an ability on CD that has its conditions met, for the last 30-45 seconds of the cooldown it looks exactly like the ability is available. Last night I found my self wasting valuable seconds trying to activate powers that still had 30/20/10 seconds left on CD.

In PVE, it's a nuisance. In PVP, it got me killed multiple times. Not that I wouldn't have been killed anyway, but ya know, I could have lasted a little longer if I hadn't been frantically trying to activate Warding Call while it was still on CD. :)

What do you guys think about this change?

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but limited time and no search feature is keeping me from finding it.

I was just curious: does anyone else feel like the new cooldown change from the latest patch is just...wrong?

I'm referring to the change that makes powers on CD NOT be greyed out, but instead keeps them lit up if the conditions to activate that power are met.

I play as a Jedi Guardian, and since JK's powers are mostly tinted a bright blue, and since the cooldown "countdown" bar on the icon is a shade of blue, if I have an ability on CD that has its conditions met, for the last 30-45 seconds of the cooldown it looks exactly like the ability is available. Last night I found my self wasting valuable seconds trying to activate powers that still had 30/20/10 seconds left on CD.

In PVE, it's a nuisance. In PVP, it got me killed multiple times. Not that I wouldn't have been killed anyway, but ya know, I could have lasted a little longer if I hadn't been frantically trying to activate Warding Call while it was still on CD. :)

Yeah there's already a big thread about this with many people asking for a rollback on this feature.

It's exactly as you say. While it looks nicer seeing the icons clearly, it's less functional because you have to peer at the icon to check whether it's really off CD or not (i.e. whether there's just a sliver of blue left, or no blue at all), whereas before, you could easily notice both the GCD and the individual power coming off CD because when it was off CD at that point it became a clear icon, much easier to notice in peripheral vision without having to peer at the actual icon.

If the way it was before was bugged, and this is the way it should be, BW should take note that the bugged version was better for some not inconsiderable (judging by the big thread) number of people and eithe rollback that feature or do something else that has the previous feature's functionality (i.e. being easily checkable without having to peer at the icon).

Yes it sucks and needs to be corrected. It is IMPOSSIBLE to know when your cooldown is finished or just near the end. It is causing problems in every single fight now. There are multiple long posts about this topic, still not a peep from BW.

Imo this was not intentional change. I think it got screwed up somewhere on the way during making other changes. Cause I cant see any logical reason for this change. Everybody was happy with the state it was before, so I guess we can just add this to the list of "Not working as intended stuff".

Aye, totally agree. Here my thread ive made two days ago in the pvp section about it...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=195978

Mine have been fine, weird it doesn't affect everyone.

You don't play a Jedi knight / Sith warrior do you? Because that's where he was referencing.

Go use your 3 minute CDs and come back to the forums and tell me you don't see a problem. You'll think it's up when, really, there are 10 seconds left on it.

Of course this has been posted everywhere and if you missed it... well...

Yes - I can't understand why they changed this - it was fine the way it was - now I am aimlessly hitting buttons for abilities that I think are available but have still 8-10 seconds left. Its getting really annoying!

ya its friggin horrible . It affects tanks horribly.

Yes to OP I was running into that last night in PVP. I kept trying to click the Cryo Grenade becasue it was lit up.

Thinking there was some kind of bug I stopped playing and continued questing.

It was in PVE that I noticed that the grenade was still lit even though there was like 7 sec. left on the cooldown. Hovering the pointer over the icon showed me this.

Cant wait for the next patch, hopefully they will adjust this.

Im not even going to get into the full auto interupt, Im sure there a tons of postings on it already.

Edited by whataboutbob

Yes, it's really bad.

So far, I have cd's on cd that show off cd. I also have cd's not on cd that show a progress line as if they were on cd. Oh and btw, the whole point was to fix the fact that the relics stayed grayed out after use and their cd was up, guess what, they still stay gray.

I actually REALLY like the new way. Powers which have a variable trigger of stun/no-stun or held/not-held now light up prior to the GCD ending. Who really waits, every time, for your GCD to fully end and then trigger your attack?

There is an over 60 pages long thread about this issue already.

And yes, you are right, it's a bad design decision or just a bug, we need it changed back.

But better keep it all in one thread for easier i think.

Edited by Asparhruk

I prefer the old way, my wife prefers the new way. Maybe there is a compromise of greying them out, but less severely so. It's not a huge problem for me; I adapt and move on, but I do find it hard to see when there are only a couple of seconds left. Edited by Kthx

I prefer the old way, my wife prefers the new way. Maybe there is a compromise of greying them out, but less severely so. It's not a huge problem for me; I adapt and move on, but I do find it hard to see when there are only a couple of seconds left.

Yeah that's true. It seems like the kind of thing that could be made togglable.

I think this change impacts some classes/builds more than others. I don't really feel an impact on a Balance Sage, as I don't have many abilities that proc due to external conditions (meaning, that I know that to be able to use Tumult the target needs to be stunned, and I'd generally be the one to do that with the ability I use).

But for a JK/SW, I can see how an ability like "Retaliate" (I think) that lights up after you do a successful defense (if I recall) requires one to see it lit up on the hotbar since it's not always clear from the animations that this has occurred.

BTW, as for CD indicators, I think I've always liked the "radial shadow" (i.e., the shadow shrinks by effectively sweeping around the icon from the center like a second hand might do on an analog watch) more than the "window blind" effect. I think it's more noticeable, particularly near the end.

It's bothering a ton of people. I've seen at least four different threads about it now... I'm glad glad people are making a lot of noise about it for once because the change really has made things a lot harder. It was so much better with things being grayed out.

Glad to see I'm not the only one.

However, other folks are right in saying the gripes should be consolidated in one thread. If someone who knows where it is could post us a link to the unofficial "main" thread, we can redirect our arguments there.

Thanks!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.