Ninjaing other people's objectives is just rude and wrong

Trashbone

You're absolutely right, you're not entitled to it.

So why are you complaining about people looting items you're not entitled too?

If you are waiting in a line for a cash machine, what do you think of the person who just skips the 3 person queue, and walks straight to it in front of the obvious queue? You kindly tell him there is a queue, and he says, "Up yours" and continues using the machine.

Do you know why there are very few people around who do that sort of thing? Well the first answer is that because their ancestors didn't survive in our society (go and look up the meaning of the word society and that will give you a few insights). The second answer is that people learn from a very young age, usually from their parents, that this sort of behaviour may achieve a short term gain, but usually leads to a long term loss in some way.

Whether that means getting beaten up by a disgruntled member of a bank machine queue, imprisoned for theft by the police, or generally isolated from all of the people around them, there are almost always consequences. The problem many people see with the internet of course is that these consequences don't always apply. We can change that however and make sure people like you don't thrive and prosper. That's the way we people work and we will always win, and you will always lose, long term that is.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are waiting in a line for a cash machine, what do you think of the person who just skips the 3 person queue, and walks straight to it in front of the obvious queue? You kindly tell him there is a queue, and he says, "Up yours" and continues using the machine.

Do you know why there are very few people around who do that sort of thing? Well the first answer is that because their ancestors didn't survive in our society (go and look up the meaning of the word society and that will give you a few insights). The second answer is that people learn from a very young age, usually from their parents, that this sort of behaviour may achieve a short term gain, but usually leads to a long term loss in some way.

Whether that means getting beaten up by a disgruntled member of a bank machine queue, imprisoned for theft by the police, or generally isolated from all of the people around them, there are almost always consequences. The problem many people see with the internet of course is that these consequences don't always apply. We can change that however and make sure people like you don't thrive and prosper. That's the way we people work and we will always win, and you will always lose, long term that is.

none of these things will happen from my Sorc amoungst thousands nipping in and whacking the other players target to death whilst they are getting clobbered in a nearby corner, people just forget who you are as soon as they see you rob them of their invested time..

Cant say I do it often but I will always do it given a chance, and really dont mind letting others do it to me... spawns are so stupidly fast anyways

I don't defend the ninja attitude because this isn't ninjaing

Still no one has come up with a logical argument against me.

Once again - These are not your items. Get it? they don't have your name on them, they are not owned by you and you thinking you have the right to loot them just because you saw them first is disgustingly arrogant.

Alright, then I suppose you won't care a bit if you come across a quest objective where you have to clear a mob before taking the objective and someone takes advantage of the "distraction" you provide while fighting two inches from the objective and takes the objective for themselves. Then you can remember that the objective did not in fact have your name on it as you wait for it to respawn and then fight the mob that respawned with it again.

This is why MMO's should have open FFA pvp. You need to be able to kill someone who is being a douche.

I agree, as a Sith I really want to murder everyone I meet more often than not so I think we should just have full pvp and let everyone kill everyone in an orgy of death, destruction and spacetits

I guess I've become used to it after many years of playing MMOs. It is rude, and it happens to me a couple of times every week. I don't bother to get angry, I just wait for the next spawn and go on my way. I also think about the number of times that another player and I have come to the objective at the same time and each alternated groups of mobs so we leapfrogged each other in. Then someone gets the objective and hangs around to cover the second player. It cuts both ways, more good than bad by far in the game.

Alright, then I suppose you won't care a bit if you come across a quest objective where you have to clear a mob before taking the objective and someone takes advantage of the "distraction" you provide while fighting two inches from the objective and takes the objective for themselves. Then you can remember that the objective did not in fact have your name on it as you wait for it to respawn and then fight the mob that respawned with it again.

Quest respawns are so stupidly quick it really doesnt matter, anyways people will always do this, always have and its part of gaming.

In real life however I being British will always stand in queues properly as the queen insists we do, in virtual world however I am merkin the queue jumper.

Ask the question. What would Han Solo do?

Han would run up, take the item, and give a winning smile while the Inquisitor shouted his rage as he is still tied up in battle.

How about Bobba Fett or Darth Vader? They aren't particularly polite folks either.

Yoda or Qui Gonn might wait or even help.

In-game behavior can depend on how heavily a player is into role playing and the character that they are portraying.

Many people here may think that's going too far with RP. But at that point it is just a matter of differing opinions.

Edited by Democratus

Ask the question. What would Han Solo do?

Han would run up, take the item, and give a winning smile while the Inquisitor shouted his rage as he is still tied up in battle.

How about Bobba Fett or Darth Vader? They aren't particularly polite folks either.

Yoda or Qui Gonn might wait or even help.

In-game behavior can depend on how heavily a player is into role playing and the character that they are portraying.

Many people here may think that's going too far with RP. But at that point it is just a matter of differing opinions.

That isn't RP, that is just being a douche taking advantage of game mechanics. Please come with something else to justify greediness.

That isn't RP, that is just being a douche taking advantage of game mechanics. Please come with something else to justify greediness.

That's your opinion. But it doesn't make you objectively right.

Many people come to this game for many different reasons. Some don't like the immersion-breaking request that they be a "Kind and Polite Sith Lord of Darkness."

I know how you feel, it happens to me all the time. It happens more in this game then it ever has in any other game. The other day someone did this to me so I followed him and watched him run into an elite. I just sat and watched him get his *** kicked.

LOL Someone snuck into a heroic area solo and did that to the group I was with, more than once. So I kept aggroing everything and dragging it over to that player :)

"Kind and polite Sith Lord" has nothing to do with stealing objectives. You can RP your evil mastermind of a Sith however much you want and still be a nice player. Differentiate character from player.

To steal an objective is not aggravating the character, as it has no knowledge of game mechanics, and wouldn't care. It is only the player behind the character you are aggravating doing that and will ultimately just hurt yourself in the end.

Scenario: You steal objective of a low level character while leveling, you later try to get into a guild or raid and another player says you are not coming due to being a douche ninjaing him while leveling an alt.

How is that RP related?

Respect is earned and courtesy is for the dead my friend.

I don't know you, so I don't respect you. I do not know if you have any features that are worthy of respect.

I also don't disrespect you.

Due to not knowing you, you are a non-factor in my life and, therefore, decision making processes.

Your emotions and quality of life aren't any of my concern, because we don't know each other. If you're happy or sad, my life doesn't change in any way, just like if I'm happy or sad your life doesn't change.

Again, respect is earned, not given.

Being born does not imbue you with any sort of transcendent value.

You're a congregation of atoms and electrical energy, I am a congregation of atoms and electrical energy.

We're not special.

What a childish and immature attitude. So by default you treat everyone you meet in life with indifference bordering on contempt unless they somehow actively 'earn your respect' whatever that is, a meaningless expression.

How about if instead of expecting everyone to 'earn your respect' you treat them with a bit of humanity? Too much to ask I guess. It's very easy to spout the sort of pseudo-existential bullsh*t that you think you believe in, but I'd like to see you put your money where your mouth is i.e. be genuinely unconcerned if everyone you met in life treated you with complete indifference.

Edited by Hexide

That's your opinion. But it doesn't make you objectively right.

Many people come to this game for many different reasons. Some don't like the immersion-breaking request that they be a "Kind and Polite Sith Lord of Darkness."

No, he is objectively right.

Griefing or harrassing other players is never justified by RPing.

RP rule #1.

This is why MMO's should have open FFA pvp. You need to be able to kill someone who is being a douche.

I also agree. This is what the 'consequences' should be in a game such as this. Behave like an ***, then expect to die like an ***, or if you can fight me off, die like an *** when I bring my 10 mates back later on because I noted your name down.

Ninja 'ing is part of the game, it isn't ever going to go away. But then you have days like today, when a republic player helped me get a holocron... then you realise that not everyong in this game is a total douche.... pay it forward!!!.. lol

I have also experienced the nice side. I was fighting mobs in front of an item I needed to repair. Someone else showed up and I just knew they were going to ninja. Instead, they helped me finish the fight and waited for me to repair the item. Two others showed up as well, and they waited.

It was a string of stops that we all continued through, everyone helping and waiting their turn. Probably the most awesome experience with people who weren't guildies that I've ever experienced across many MMOs and many years playing.

I have also experienced the nice side. I was fighting mobs in front of an item I needed to repair. Someone else showed up and I just knew they were going to ninja. Instead, they helped me finish the fight and waited for me to repair the item. Two others showed up as well, and they waited.

It was a string of stops that we all continued through, everyone helping and waiting their turn. Probably the most awesome experience with people who weren't guildies that I've ever experienced across many MMOs and many years playing.

Those moments of my early MMO experience is why I stuck with the genre.

I have a rule, if anyone does that to me I follow them and do it to them for as long as possible until they log off or change instances. It's a great way to teach them manners.

haha, i do the same. Its especially satisfying when they send a tell to me saying how rude it is.