Stupidity at it's finest

FalcoLombardi

So, today. I decided to check the Galactic Trade Market to see how much I could sell an Advanced Skill Barrel 22, which I can make. I saw the lowest one was 15K. With it being that cheap, I decided to buy it and sell it for 17,500 so I could initially make, a 16.6% profit.

However, there is something in place that I find completely stupid. I had to pay 2300 something credits to put it up on the market (the details didn't really go through my head until recently) but I only made 200 credits off the sale. Why do I have to PAY something to sell something? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of selling stuff?

In my honest opinion, this should be removed. I can already see some of the comments in the future that will attack me..

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, today. I decided to check the Galactic Trade Market to see how much I could sell an Advanced Skill Barrel 22, which I can make. I saw the lowest one was 15K. With it being that cheap, I decided to buy it and sell it for 17,500 so I could initially make, a 16.6% profit.

However, there is something in place that I find completely stupid. I had to pay 2300 something credits to put it up on the market (the details didn't really go through my head until recently) but I only made 200 credits off the sale. Why do I have to PAY something to sell something? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of selling stuff?

In my honest opinion, this should be removed. I can already see some of the comments in the future that will attack me..

I support this, the cost to list on the GCN is way too high at this point (it's something like 7.5% of the listed price per day). Should be more like 1 or 2%

Posting prices are common, and are generally a fixed percentage of the vendor cost and the asking price...

There's several reasons for this, two of which are concerns over people using the auction slots as extra temporary storage, and the other is simply posting things for astronomically high prices when they are worth a fraction of it.

I support this, the cost to list on the GCN is way too high at this point (it's something like 7.5% of the listed price per day). Should be more like 1 or 2%

I think it's closer to 12% to list.

I agree that it is a bit much, even if you do get it back after it sells or expires.

I also agree it's a bit too high. It's why I have not sold (or listed) a single item on GTN.

There should be some cost to listing, but at the current rate, it's not worth it when you can sell other ways (IMHO).

Maybe it's to help prevent resellers? There are valid arguments for and against that (also IMHO).

The reason i've seen it put in other MMO's in the past is to stop people from spam selling a ton of garbage. I'd imagine that's why it's here.

Plus you could potentially use it as a storage if the price is high enough, no one will buy it and you have 50 extra storage spaces.

Serves you right for victimizing your fellow MMO players with this reselling scheme nonsense. It is bad enough when this kind of stuff happens in the real world, but among a community of gamers who come together to enjoy a common interest in a social environment it is despicable.

I am tired of hearing this nonsense about "wha wah it is my $15 a month and playing the market is how I like to have fun". You know what? Find yourself an economic sim, or virtual gambling, or even better, INVEST YOUR MONEY IRL if you want to play with markets...instead of inserting bad will into the gaming community with this farce of a playstyle.

there is something in place that I find completely stupid.

Me too.

And it's someone who rants about a deposit fee taking away from his profits on the sale, especially when the deposit fee is refunded back to the seller when the item sells. So the deposit fee is not lost at all.

The market does take a small percentage of the selling price as it's "cut", but that is nowhere near as much as the deposit fee.

Why do I have to PAY something to sell something? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of selling stuff?
Must not play WoW at all or sell on the Auction House. You get it back after it sells, they only take a small fee from it.

The main reason it is there is to stop people transferring cross-faction through the Galactic Market and hinder gold farmers. Someone buys credits, they put a cheap item on the market for an insane price. Gold farmer buys it, and seller gets the credits. By making the player have money, it slows this down. Also stops someone from basically listing an item at a high price, then having their other character on the other faction buy it, without it being a free item transfer. It also helps slow down gold farmers from getting bunch of items and trying to sell them by spamming the market without actually having any initial credits. They don't completely stop these things, but they are hindrances.

If you sell an item most of the deposit is returned. I think the market only keeps 20% of the deposit. I'd have to research it to get exact figures. So if it costs 2300 to post an item then you should get around 1840 back. So of the 2500 profit you would have gained it'll be reduced to 2040 cr.

EDIT:

From the online Manual -

http://www.swtor.com/gamemanual/exploring-galaxy/galactic-trade-network

....It's a great place to make money, but keep in mind that the Galactic Trade Network requires a deposit for items placed on sale and takes a small commission on everything you sell. Once an item is sold, the Galactic Trade Network holds the Credits for an hour before the seller can collect.
Edited by Palathas

You know the you get your deposit back if it sells right?

The deposit is there so you don't take the item off early - that's when you lose your money.

Ok, I suppose that's fine. But it shouldn't be there at all. I put it up for sale and then what if a guildy says he wants it? I lose money because I have to take it off. It should be removed

Posting prices are common, and are generally a fixed percentage of the vendor cost and the asking price...

There's several reasons for this, two of which are concerns over people using the auction slots as extra temporary storage, and the other is simply posting things for astronomically high prices when they are worth a fraction of it.

If people sell too high, no one will buy and they will have to lower their prices. It's basic business

Ok, I suppose that's fine. But it shouldn't be there at all. I put it up for sale and then what if a guildy says he wants it? I lose money because I have to take it off. It should be removed

If your guildie wants it so badly, then wait for it to expire, or just make another one! You can also post shorter auctions.

Serves you right for victimizing your fellow MMO players with this reselling scheme nonsense. It is bad enough when this kind of stuff happens in the real world, but among a community of gamers who come together to enjoy a common interest in a social environment it is despicable.

I am tired of hearing this nonsense about "wha wah it is my $15 a month and playing the market is how I like to have fun". You know what? Find yourself an economic sim, or virtual gambling, or even better, INVEST YOUR MONEY IRL if you want to play with markets...instead of inserting bad will into the gaming community with this farce of a playstyle.

I'm not victimizing ANYONE. He get's 15K for me buying it, I resell it. I make less money then he does, still making money though. Everyone wins. It's called Capitalism and a Free Market, it's the best form of Economics there is. If I sell too high, no one will buy it, I lose money and must lower my prices to what people are willing to pay.

If your guildie wants it so badly, then wait for it to expire, or just make another one! You can also post shorter auctions.

Or the stupid fee could just be removed..and it saves me rescources

Edit: Sorry for the string of posts, lots of people to reply too as you can see

Edited by FalcoLombardi

I'm not victimizing ANYONE. He get's 15K for me buying it, I resell it. I make less money then he does, still making money though. Everyone wins. It's called Capitalism and a Free Market, it's the best form of Economics there is. If I sell too high, no one will buy it, I lose money and must lower my prices to what people are willing to pay.

No. The eventual user pays more for it. You get the difference for adding absolutely nothing of value to the transaction.

You get the money back when it sells (minus a small fee), or it expires (whichever comes first).

You'd know that if you ever sold something on the market before.

Sorry, I've never played a game like this. Only SWG and GW. However, that has nothing to do with it. The point still stands that it's not needed