Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Coming Up in STAR WARS: The Old Republic

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All sounds good. However I wanted to discuss something that wasn't directly addressed there :)

I will share the biggest secret, possibly not so secret, to MMO success. Everybody and their great-grandmother always talks about content: more PvP content, more PvE content, more items. Better interface, better mechanics :p More story! People will talk your ear off with requests for additional game content. However -- the quantity of game content is actually -not- why people do or do not play a game. It isn't, it never has been. *Quality* of game content, sure, that has a lot of impact. One really solid, high-quality piece of content is 10x better than 10 pieces of half-baked content. For example, I'd rather watch one amazing video over and over; than watch 12 mediocre or boring videos in a row. Likewise, people would rather play 12 iterations of a really amazing game, than play even one iteration of 12 poorly designed games. All this should be old advice by now. But it's easy to forget the classic wisdom when you're chasing the newest things. So this is all worth emphasizing, and re-iterating on a constant basis.

That all said, the top reason why people play MMOs is not the content. The main reason is actually community. Namely, the other players, and how they interact with those players.

When I played Warcraft, I remember doing Warsong Gulch, Alterac Valley, Arathi Basin more times than I can count. And while sure, the "gear" was the nominal motive. The truth is that in *every* single game, whether or not it was an enjoyable experience was entirely dependent on *who* was there, and how we played together. If people were there to compete and have fun, and we worked well together, the game would be amazing. If people were not there to have fun, we didn't work together, nobody was there except to get their badge timecard punched... that led to some of my worst experiences in all of WoW. The same is true with PvE. You're with a good group, one that's competent and good-natured, the raid will be fun. You're with a horrible group of incompetent players or anal-retentive douches, well the raid will be a chore or an outright disaster. This carries on into guilds, exploring the world, interacting in towns, etc. etc. And at the end of the day -- the people you meet, the people you interact with and form relationships with, are the main reason why people do or do not keep playing an MMO. This is the reason why people will keep playing TOR, even when there's no new content. Because of their friends, their guildies, that one legendary enemy PvPer that's always in their way... Or just the general player environment they're routinely exposed to.

Since this MMO is just starting out, the designers have a golden opportunity to focus on this issue from day one. I know that in the past, this has often not been considered a design issue; I guess designers figure, "oh the players will figure that out on their own. They'll get together with people they like, and avoid the ones they don't. And everything will take care of itself" etc. Sure, a lot of the social interaction is player driven, and ultimately their responsibility. However, that does not mean there's nothing the designers can't do to facilitate good interactions, and to minimizing negative interactions. Indeed, another way to look at it, is to say that's ALL an MMO designer does: facilitate interactions among players. So the top priority, beyond simply "adding new content", has to be anything which allows players to create and grow bonds of community. So for example, right now, guild banks and guild functionality should be at the top of the list. So should being able to play on the same server as your friends. So should ways of being able to find like-minded individuals in the game; as well as increased rewards for positive interaction with people. If we're talking about PVP, then rankings, bragging rights, etc all that type of functionality should go to the top; so that you have increased incentive to be part of the group. (in a productive way, not an AFK for badges kind of way) New stories, planets, quests, items etc are fine; but at the end of the day, just remember that there are two M's in MMO; TOR is a social game before it is anything else. If you can become the best designers at facilitating and encouraging the player interactions, then you will be the top MMO, no doubt.

Thanks for reading. Best wishes, and take care.

Edited by Darth_Indomitus

All sounds good. However I wanted to discuss something that wasn't directly addressed there :)

I will share the biggest secret, possibly not so secret, to MMO success. Everybody and their great-grandmother always talks about content: more PvP content, more PvE content, more items. Better interface, better mechanics :p More story! People will talk your ear off with requests for additional game content. However -- the quantity of game content is actually -not- why people do or do not play a game. It isn't, it never has been. *Quality* of game content, sure, that has a lot of impact. One really solid, high-quality piece of content is 10x better than 10 pieces of half-baked content. For example, I'd rather watch one amazing video over and over; than watch 12 mediocre or boring videos in a row. Likewise, people would rather play 12 iterations of a really amazing game, than play even one iteration of 12 poorly designed games. All this should be old advice by now. But it's easy to forget the classic wisdom when you're chasing the newest things. So this is all worth emphasizing, and re-iterating on a constant basis.

That all said, the top reason why people play MMOs is not the content. The main reason is actually community. Namely, the other players, and how they interact with those players.

When I played Warcraft, I remember doing Warsong Gulch, Alterac Valley, Arathi Basin more times than I can count. And while sure, the "gear" was the nominal motive. The truth is that in *every* single game, whether or not it was an enjoyable experience was entirely dependent on *who* was there, and how we played together. If people were there to compete and have fun, and we worked well together, the game would be amazing. If people were not there to have fun, we didn't work together, nobody was there except to get their badge timecard punched... that led to some of my worst experiences in all of WoW. The same is true with PvE. You're with a good group, one that's competent and good-natured, the raid will be fun. You're with a horrible group of incompetent players or anal-retentive douches, well the raid will be a chore or an outright disaster. This carries on into guilds, exploring the world, interacting in towns, etc. etc. And at the end of the day -- the people you meet, the people you interact with and form relationships with, are the main reason why people do or do not keep playing an MMO. This is the reason why people will keep playing TOR, even when there's no new content. Because of their friends, their guildies, that one legendary enemy PvPer that's always in their way... Or just the general player environment they're routinely exposed to.

Since this MMO is just starting out, the designers have a golden opportunity to focus on this issue from day one. I know that in the past, this has often not been considered a design issue; I guess designers figure, "oh the players will figure that out on their own. They'll get together with people they like, and avoid the ones they don't. And everything will take care of itself" etc. Sure, a lot of the social interaction is player driven, and ultimately their responsibility. However, that does not mean there's nothing the designers can't do to facilitate good interactions, and to minimizing negative interactions. Indeed, another way to look at it, is to say that's ALL an MMO designer does: facilitate interactions among players. So the top priority, beyond simply "adding new content", has to be anything which allows players to create and grow bonds of community. So for example, right now, guild banks and guild functionality should be at the top of the list. So should being able to play on the same server as your friends. So should ways of being able to find like-minded individuals in the game; as well as increased rewards for positive interaction with people. If we're talking about PVP, then rankings, bragging rights, etc all that type of functionality should go to the top; so that you have increased incentive to be part of the group. (in a productive way, not an AFK for badges kind of way) New stories, planets, quests, items etc are fine; but at the end of the day, just remember that there are two M's in MMO; TOR is a social game before it is anything else. If you can become the best designers at facilitating and encouraging the player interactions, then you will be the top MMO, no doubt.

TL;DR

Community is everything. Period.

+2^30492458824580 for you, sir.

I love doing Warzones all the time in succession because I know I'll see the same people eventually, the people that helped me win that Warzone, and it drives me to keep playing. Same thing with leveling. I see somebody my level, we join up, afterwards I keep leveling to keep up, to run into that person again.

Social ftw.

Awesome post!

I remember when my loved guild in WoW, that I had spent countless of hours together with, decided to stop raiding. Our leaders had to stop playing etc, and I can tell you, this was a sad moment of my life. Now that sounds very geeky, but in fact, it wasn't sad because I had lost my RAIDING guild, more of a bunch of awesome people to play daily with.

We had a guild meeting in Dalaran, even though it was in Cataclysm. We were at our peek in WotLK, which was the reason for this. But actually, this was an awesome moment. We just ran around with together and remembered what we had gone through together.

Hopefully I'll find a guild like that one in SW:ToR!

Excellent post!

You said so eloquently what I've been saying for months, though in not the most eloquent way. I'm a bit blunt to say the least.

Anyway, well said. You captured the nuance of what an MMO should be.

+1

Couldn't agree more.

Well said.

False. The community is a plus, but it isn't the reason. Were it the reason you would be playing Farmville.

Or do you?

PvP is also a plus. PvE is a plus. Gear progression is a plus. Character build is a plus. The forums are a plus.

But none of them in isolation is why people play MMOs.

It is the whole that is the game, not your particular favorite part.

Damage one part and you damage the whole. Miss one part you lessen the whole.

It is the whole that matters, and with play it is more than the sum of its parts.

Edited by Gleneagle

Of course the whole is greater than the parts, that's why I only said it's the top reason.

But honestly, it is just a simple fact, massively multiplayer games do not work, without massive amounts of players :) And the designers should understand that is really the main purpose of everything.

Edited by Darth_Indomitus

Saying swtor should find its own way and not just copy others is whining? If you say so..........

Ok. So there seems to be some confusion. People honestly think that there is "original" content" that, in no means, derives itself from games before it?

I believe it was Plato who said that there is no creation, only remembering. There are similarities to quite a few MMOs . . . but so what. Star Wars was around before WoW, and that makes the game unique.

Why exactly did that need to be a video, rather than a few sentences of text?

And while I'm at it, since this is my first post here, why does logging in take me to the "download the client!" page rather than back whence I came?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.