Don't you think The Star Wars is a modified Dune?

MilesTeg_cy

I really like The Star Wars universe and enjoy playing all kinds of games about it but I'm much more into the Dune universe. Unfortunately no one could be able to make a fine movie out of this such magnificent novel yet. Even David Lynch's Dune was not enough to tell the Dune story at its best. I doubt they will ever be able to do it as it should be.

But it is a very well know truth that The Star Wars story and everything in it has very big similarities with Dune, which makes me think that The Star Wars is not an authentic one. Even George Lucas admitted that he inspired from Dune a lot. What is your opinion about that? Aren't the similarities a bit too much? Is that a wrong forum to ask such a question?:D

You can find alot of those pages on the net.

http://www.dahoudek.com/pages/starwarsdune.htm

http://moongadget.com/origins/dune.html

There are many similarities.

But if Lucas had added more factions and treachery, as in Dune, the Star Wars series [especially the prequels] would have been much, much better. :D

i will say i loved the dune series and yet i think it never should have made it to the movies as though interesting there is too much that can't be told in 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours of a movie and that is what a lot of dune is .. it is about the back drop

star wars was not about back drop but about the heroes from the most unlikely places standing up against the odds (having been born in 1970 i still remember the fear for the cold war ear and the wish for a larger than life hero from no where)

are they a like .. sure as every story is alike but they aren't the same (there were times during reading the dune series that i couldn't tell who you should cheer for as they were all backstabbing SOBs) while you could always tell who was the hero in star wars.

They share some things, but not many. Most obvious point is that in both sagas there is many time spent on a desert planet. And both play a lot wirh cybernetics/biological engineering/altering human powers. But, there it ends.

Herbert chose more the SF way, Lucas more the fantasy way.

Dune is the story what actually "happens" to humanity in the future; it deals also strongly with religion, especially the Islam and the Jews, latter even occur as such in it. There are no aliens in Dune, only strangely altered, cloned or strongly mutated humans.

Star Wars is very "human" (sometimes a bit too much to me, there could have been much more aliens for pivotal characters), but is not connected to the real world. The strongest individuals use no technics, but some kind of magic aka "the force".

And while the desert planet Arrakis in Dune is the most important planet in the galaxy, Tatooine is an offside-low life planet (come on, who wants to be a "moisture farmer"?) where strangely enough two of the strongest force users are born and raised.

May be this is the main diffrerence. SW is more fictional and Dune is more connected to the real world.

Same thing happend to Dune prequels tough. Frank Herbert's son Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson who has written the Star War novels wrote the Dune prequels together and the stories they told very just got similar to the Star Wars. At least the hero concept just became similar and the whole story became less connected to the real world than the ones that Frank Herbert wrote.

Anyway there is another link here:

http://boards.theforce.net/star_wars_saga/b10456/12073632/p1

Apart form the differences I guess noone can say that these similarities are just coincidences. There are lots and lots of similarities between them.

Edited by MilesTeg_cy

Actually it's a well known secret that Lucas ripped off Star Wars from Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress. Hell he even paid homage to the latter's film-making techniques in Attack of the Clones, perhaps the only thing worth watching in the film.

I´m quite a fan of both series (although only read the Frank Herbert´s book from the Dune saga, not his son´s). There may be some similarities, but I wouldn´t say George Lucas was derivative, at least not regarding the similarities with Dune.

The stories play in very different scales, if you take into account that the Dune saga spans for thousands of years (comparing the Dune books with SW´s movies here). Also, SW main theme is good vs. evil, humility vs. greed, etc, while Dune has a much broader theme scale (IMO, at least).

Also, the idea of the Messiah is well known from, like, forever. So I wouldn´t say Luke = Paul as easily.

And, btw, I agree with the poster above... I seriously doubt anyone can make a movie that successfully adapts Dune in all its complexity.

May be it is a very common cliché. A young man goes to another planet(country), learns their way of life and saves them from injustice and cruelty, giving them back the control of their lives. Like USA claiming that they are bringing democracy to the 3rd world countries and giving back the power to the people. Well, that's an another story :)

Same story was in the Avatar. The first time I saw the movie I tought that this is "another" Dune movie. Actually the cliché story was used in Dune before also just like in Star Wars.

I agree that Dune can not be carried to a movie as it should be. However the mini series(especially the Children of Dune) managed that a little bit. With more resources it seems to be possible to create a visual Dune world but I don't think real story can not be filmed with its full profoundity.

Same thing happend to Dune prequels tough. Frank Herbert's son Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson who has written the Star War novels wrote the Dune prequels together and the stories they told very just got similar to the Star Wars. At least the hero concept just became similar and the whole story became less connected to the real world than the ones that Frank Herbert wrote.

They should not have made that prequels. Problem was that Frank Herbert was a very original writer with unusual ideas, and they just made conventional stuff.

well the human imagination is limited to what it has perceived before so nothing is ever really new . but

a dark power rises

a hero with a mysterious past refuses the call to fight

personal tragedy brings our hero back

training montage

pivotal battle between good and evil

episode 4 is basically a point for point remake of any number of samurai films.

if you want to see blatant theft of Dune IP check out the game Dune 2 then look at starcraft and warcraft ;)

May be it is a very common cliché. A young man goes to another planet(country), learns their way of life and saves them from injustice and cruelty, giving them back the control of their lives. Like USA claiming that they are bringing democracy to the 3rd world countries and giving back the power to the people. Well, that's an another story :)

Same story was in the Avatar. The first time I saw the movie I tought that this is "another" Dune movie. Actually the cliché story was used in Dune before also just like in Star Wars.

This. Both Star Wars and Dune borrow from the same tropes.

well the human imagination is limited to what it has perceived before so nothing is ever really new . but

a dark power rises

a hero with a mysterious past refuses the call to fight

personal tragedy brings our hero back

training montage

pivotal battle between good and evil

episode 4 is basically a point for point remake of any number of samurai films.

if you want to see blatant theft of Dune IP check out the game Dune 2 then look at starcraft and warcraft ;)

Actually Dune 2 is the father of all RTS games we are playing now :-)

And dune is based heavily on asimov's work. Sci-fi is all pretty derivative especially in the space opera type stuff, which is also oddly enough based somewhat on opera. Which in turn is based heavily on mythology. It goes on and on. There is nothing new under the sun.

Yes. Its quite forgotten that Dune 2 was probably the first real time strategy game which was ahead of its time and had already many elements like base building which were in later games.

There was a very good 3-part Dune miniseries on SciFi a few years back. And an even better followup 3-part Children of Dune. Find them and watch them. Way better than the Lynch debacle... i WILL kill HIM!

I agree with the second 3-part miniseries(Children of Dune) but the first one was a little amateur for me. Especially the costumes and all that colors in the series. Dune should be less colored IMO. Children of Dune was great however. Director pulled up a real job there. Ofcourse it could be better in many ways but it was far much better than the first miniseries.

I agree with the second 3-part miniseries(Children of Dune) but the first one was a little amateur for me. Especially the costumes and all that colors in the series. Dune should be less colored IMO. Children of Dune was great however. Director pulled up a real job there. Ofcourse it could be better in many ways but it was far much better than the first miniseries.

I watched the Dune miniseries and didn´t like it too much, so didn´t watch the Children of Dune miniseries later. If you guys say that Children of Dune is great, I´ll probably give it a try.

I loved Dune and I can certainly see the similarities. I think the biggest problem with translating it into film is the novel God Emperor Dune. It just hits such a huge scale of everything that has has been effected by Leto over .. it's been a while.. what was it like tens of thousands of years? It was heady to say the least and, if I'm being honest here a little bit of a struggle to get thru. Then Heretics pretty much blew my mind. I always wondered if there was some type of hidden agenda behind writing a longer slower paced book and then the next book being much faster paced.

And Miles Teg was pretty much the Chuck Norris of the Dune novels.