HERO ENGINE WHY?? So this is why Bioware went with the HERO ENGINE

galataea

http://www.heroengine.com/2011/11/heroengine-meets-starwars/

To sum it up if you dont want to read it, basically a guy working for HeroEngine knew an old colleague from a few years back, named Gordon Walton, who worked on Star Wars Galaxies previously.

The HeroEngine employee showed this Gordan dude the HeroEngine and this is what Gordan said as to why he wanted to use the HeroEngine for his next project (which turns out to be swtor)

“I need this,” said Gordon. “I am about to start a special project and these tools will let us build and prototype fast and get something running in a hurry.” Gordon is not an excitable guy by nature but this had his adrenaline flowing. “This is just what I need! I want to license your engine.”

So hero engine was not chosen for its superior technological capabilities and well-functioning design, it was chosen because Mr. Gordan Walton knew a friend that worked on the HeroEngine.

Thanks Gordon! Instead of having an amazing game with the unreal engine.. we have this have-a**ed, super buggy, and imbalanced mess you call swtor :(

I wanted to like this game but I knew better. I think many people are trying to remain oblivious to the fact that this game just isn't that good, and I was one of them. Great cinematic trailers though, if only your game was on par with the effort put into those videos.

Edited by galataea

I honestly don't care if they build the game upon an engine made from the dreams of children and rainbow drops as long as they can get the bloody thing working properly.

Thats why you use an engine that is tried and tested and has major support behind it.

Not the cheap fast solution. Money should not have been an issue EA could afford any engine, hell they could have hired 1000 developers to create a whole new engine lol.

The hero engine is so horrible that I can't believe anyone is paying for it. Take a look at all hero engine games, what do they have in common? Poor controls with huge input delays AND really poor performance compared to actual visual quality.

Additionally, the engine is single-threaded. This means that it has to take the time to process that you pressed a button, that the animation needs to start, that the attack needs to start, etc. It is incapable of multitasking, which explains the delay in abilities many people are experiencing.

thats pretty messed up lmao not even funny sickening really But this thread will be removed or fan-boys will just come in and say nothen is wrong stop the QQ.

IMO they are never going to be able to tweak this game very well but fanboys will prolly still play it for a few years.

The hero engine is so horrible that I can't believe anyone is paying for it. Take a look at all hero engine games, what do they have in common? Poor controls with huge input delays AND really poor performance compared to actual visual quality.

Yea its beginning to look more clear that this was just a way for EA / Bioware to generate some extra income while the ship was still afloat. Everything in the game is pretty much outdated, aside from the voice acting.

Every product has its niche or specialty. This niche was the voice over. But when you put priority of Voice Overs above Gameplay its a recipe for disaster

http://www.heroengine.com/2011/11/heroengine-meets-starwars/

To sum it up if you dont want to read it, basically a guy working for HeroEngine knew an old colleague from a few years back, named Gordon Walton, who worked on Star Wars Galaxies previously.

The HeroEngine employee showed this Gordan dude the HeroEngine and this is what Gordan said as to why he wanted to use the HeroEngine for his next project (which turns out to be swtor)

“I need this,” said Gordon. “I am about to start a special project and these tools will let us build and prototype fast and get something running in a hurry.” Gordon is not an excitable guy by nature but this had his adrenaline flowing. “This is just what I need! I want to license your engine.”

So hero engine was not chosen for its superior technological capabilities and well-functioning design, it was chosen because Mr. Gordan Walton knew a friend that worked on the HeroEngine.

Thanks Gordon! Instead of having an amazing game with the unreal engine.. we have this have-a**ed, super buggy, and imbalanced mess you call swtor :(

I wanted to like this game but I knew better. I think many people are trying to remain oblivious to the fact that this game just isn't that good, and I was one of them. Great cinematic trailers though, if only your game was on par with the effort put into those videos.

Unreal engine? Haha you clearly don't know anything about engines.

Stop talking, you are only making yourself look bad.

Unreal engine looks good, but it can't do that much. I wont go into further detail, google is there for a reason if you would like to take a peek at what it doesn't do.

I doubt that they made the decision like that.

But well what ever the reason is accord to S,Reid my computer can't handle high res textures.

Blooming also eats 30 FPS of my high end game rig with no real visual gains.

I don't know if they just didn't modify the engine properly or that the hero engine is not good for this type of MMO's.

But I run into a lot of issues with this game and they are not related to my drivers/hardware.

Unreal engine? Haha you clearly don't know anything about engines.

Stop talking, you are only making yourself look bad.

Unreal engine looks good, but it can't do that much. I wont go into further detail, google is there for a reason if you would like to take a peek at what it doesn't do.

I didnt want to do this to you but really son??? REALLY??

I guess all these games on this list are bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games#Unreal_Engine_3

Game, Set, and MATCH

Thanks Gordon! Instead of having an amazing game with the unreal engine..

That is where I lost faith in you.

I can quote a series of buggy as hell mmos that used the Unreal, 1 of the top of my head APB.

Do not blame the engine, blame those who have no skills and are lazy as hell, but got a job as a coder for the engine team, leaving those who actually have amazing coding skills jobeless and forced to take crappy part time jobs.

Circle of life.

That is where I lost faith in you.

I can quote a series of buggy as hell mmos that used the Unreal, 1 of the top of my head APB.

Do not blame the engine, blame those who have no skills and are lazy as hell, but got a job as a coder for the engine team, leaving those who actually have amazing coding skills jobeless and forced to take crappy part time jobs.

Circle of life.

Point being, they chose the cheapest engine they could get their hands on. Its not like there's millions of game engines to choose from. Either they make their own and be fully dedicated to it, or they use something tried and tested.

What's done is done, so get over the whole hero engine thing and start coming up with ideas on how to improve it etc. instead of just whining about it.

If Bioware doesn't see an issue with the engine, how can we make them improve it? We're paying them to make this stuff work for us.