Combat delay was NOT fixed

Weeps

Why is this not a game breaking bug? Because MMOs are 90% strategy and skill rotations instead of reflexes. Strategy games require better reflexes (micro) than MMOs. MMOs have been tab-target, skill rotation games for quite some time.

Two scenarios at play: you stand in a really poor position while casting Force powers, attacks, whatever you class uses. Either move 3 ft. closer or position yourself at a better angle. Alternatively, you have a really, really bad computer/Internet connection. That's your personal problem. While unfortunate, only you can fix it.

With that said, do I want smoother combat? Yes. Do I want less lag? Yes. However, combat a bit less smooth than what we're used to isn't "ground breaking" for the following reasons:

1. Everyone has to deal with this handicap.

2. We can all adapt in the ways I specified above.

No, it's not an ideal situation. I mostly agree with the sentiment that combat would benefit from snappier responsiveness. However, sensationalism never promoted rational discourse. I know it's the Internet, but if you come on these forums to make a logical argument, you should also know its limitations. Otherwise, people will just label you "whiner" or "troll" and dismiss anything out of hand that you might say.

t

I don't think everybody has to deal with the handicap. There is problem with ability delay but to me it seems it doesn't affect anyone as much and mostly Republic side.

Looking many imps they seem to co-ordiate just fine their abilities. Otherwise agents could not do stun locks so well for example.

I couldn't do it because I got 1,5 sec lag if I try to use CC and another one if I try to use ability after that. Thus players are affected by severe lag AND ability delay top of it.

But I don't believe its universal.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW? You sure? Because this sounds more like Warhammer to me. Everything is very similar to WAR, btw, starting from bugs and finishing with Good/Evil unbalance... Guess, this is the curse of Hero engine and Mifics presence in the team.

Are you asking whether I'm sure I'm spamming skills in wow? I'm pretty sure I'm sure >> Perhaps people with better reflexes don't need to spam skills but if I don't do it I'm missing on dps.

Proof.

I think I was pretty clear when I wrote "proof that most 50s have 3-4 seconds delay". This is one person. Just like me. There can't be a statistical evidence on how many people are having this problem. Should it be fixed? Obviously. But let's not try to state as facts things we can't possibly know, ok?

Edited by Safiir

It is game breaking though. If you lose even once because ability delay in the game engine that's too much. But we're not even talking about a hiccup here and there. We're talking about

Effect condition failed

Target not in range.

Effect condition failed

Target not in range.

Effect condition failed

Target not in range.

Effect condition failed

Target not in range.

I was getting a lot of this last night:

Cannot use ability while moving

I was playing no different than to other nights, but this seemed to be coming up a lot more, even when I thought I was standing still. Felt like I needed a bigger gap between coming to a stand still, and actually standing still, before I could do something.

I'm not sure if you guys have noticed... but swtor is a different game :eek:

Maybe this is your problem?

Anyone who finds this fustrating should invest in anger management classes.

Gamebreaking... trollolol

yeah maybe i just set my standards too high. Imagining a game coming out in 2011 with a fluid combat system is obviously delusional.

What makes swtor stand apart from the competitors is the combat delay, its a selling point I see!

It is game breaking though. If you lose even once because ability delay in the game engine that's too much. But we're not even talking about a hiccup here and there. We're talking about

Effect condition failed

Target not in range.

Effect condition failed

Target not in range.

Effect condition failed

Target not in range.

Effect condition failed

Target not in range.

This happens to me constantly in Alderaan warzone.

Also "Not facing target" when I do a perfect strafe around them.

and a delay of approx. 3 seconds when I try to enter cover.

Come on...

Is this much worse for wars / knights perhaps? My sentinel does that same exact dance as the OP's youtube video. Also, can it be down to abilities and animations? It is the same skill / animation where this happens to me the most, unfortunately it is an ability you need to use to be your most effective.

Having abilities not fire has been responsible for a good majority of my deaths, add in the actual delays which are very noticeable on my sentinel and I am surprised how well I do. I honestly think if they fix this stuff, people will not think the sentinel is so weak. Fights last longer then they should because of the delay. If I get stuck in a loop of abilities not firing, it spells trouble. I usually see it happen once and try other abilities and resort to button mashing to get any ability to fire then try to get back to my normal progression.

I can't figure out why it is happening, because the mis-firing does not happen every single fight, say maybe a third of them. Sometimes it is worse where I can only get one or two abilities to actually fire, sometimes it is just a single abiity that refuses to work. Worse still is when the ability does not work, yet the cooldown is started anyway.

I don't recall this in the beta weekends, but I was playing a Consular and I didn't get to nearly as high a level.

To me it seems this game favors imperials great deal. Republic side has most of the animation delays and also suffered most because last patch.

I'm sure its not intentional. But still its funny how most of the problem hit republic side of players that are minority in most servers.

One way would be remove the republic side from game altogether. It probably would be best solution anyway if imperials want to play something than hutball. Because this way republic player base is going down so fast there won't be lot of voidstar or civil war to play.

Most MMO's have had faction imbalance thats nothing new. The contest of p****g to over another side is something new however.

Why would anyone soon want to play republic side?

OK, you don't get it. Fine. One more time...

How many times do I have to say I understand that it's a bug? I know it happens. I know sometimes you hit a button and the ability does not go off.

That's not game-breaking. Never has been, and never will be.

That doesn't mean it's not a bug. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed. It doesn't mean it's not a royal pain in the butt.

When it prevents you from playing, or progressing in the game, it's game-breaking. Can you still play? Yes. Can you still progress? Yes.

It's not game-breaking. It's just not.

Wow, defend harder bro. You are not defending hard enough.

Do you even read and understand what you are saying?

I know sometimes you hit a button and the ability does not go off.

When you activate a ability and IT DOES NOT GO OFF, that is BROKEN.

That's not game-breaking. Never has been, and never will be.

So the game not working as intended, is working as intended?

Here is a example, you are playing GT5, sometimes when you press the analog stick for 100% throttle, you might get 100%. But sometimes you only get 50% and sometimes nothing.

Its not the controllers fault, its the games fault.

How is that not broken?

When it prevents you from playing, or progressing in the game, it's game-breaking. Can you still play? Yes. Can you still progress? Yes.

You car only goes 35MPH, can you still go? Yes! Can you still get to work? Yes!

Then why take it to a dealer?

Its not broken, its just not.

:rolleyes:

Oh my God, I give up. If you think the occasional command not going off completely prevents you from playing at all, I can't help you.

You make it sound like you can't use any of them, ever. If that's the case for you, we're not even talking about the same bug.

:rolleyes:

No one can be this much of a staunch defender of a game and be serious.

The delay is so apparent in PvP its not funny, and its there in PvE too.

its ok guys, if you can't use abilities when you want to use them..you can still play and progress when it does work..the game isnt broken.

ROFL.

No game this game is perfect, it is the wowo killer and there is NOTHING wrong with it.

Anyone who says otherwise is a troll and a failure.

:p

Look, I want to see the game do well, but I have more fun playing STO because when I press the pew pew button it works, like its supposed to.

Even alpha protocol is less broken than TOR.

If you think this is a prob for DPS try healing. The lag i can live with but when an ability does not go off and you still get a GCD is just plain frustrating. The number of times i have just stood there watching as someone dies, while getting yelled a because i'm "not healing". In MMO's there tends to be a shortage of heals and tanks, this issue does not help matters. Going off topic for a moment, this is why this game is not ready for DPS or heal meters.

If you think this is a prob for DPS try healing. The lag i can live with but when an ability does not go off and you still get a GCD is just plain frustrating. The number of times i have just stood there watching as someone dies, while getting yelled a because i'm "not healing". In MMO's there tends to be a shortage of heals and tanks, this issue does not help matters. Going off topic for a moment, this is why this game is not ready for DPS or heal meters.

I bet the meters were taken out because they would reveal this problem almost immediately.

So we should, uh settle for garbage like the ability delay?

But, but, but its not WOW!

No its not, thats still not a excuse for smooth game play to be absent.

Yeah, clearly we should all just leave.

Why? Because something that is not working like it should is annoying?

White-knight.....trolololololol.

Hmmmm I thought it had been fixed because it did actually feel better after 1.1 , But now im thinking maybe ive just adjusted my play style or just started getting used to it hence dont notice it as much.

either way , needs fixing :(

I bet the meters were taken out because they would reveal this problem almost immediately.

im sure they didnt put in meters because then they would have to actually balance classes. right now it cant be proven that classes arent balanced, but once someone makes a mod that measures dps or hps they will have another problem to deal with.

think about it, whats the advantage of playing a marauder, who is a pure dps class, over a juggernaut, who can dps or tank. they advertised as all dps is equal. whats the advantage of a pure dps class then?

So far I've supported BW on everything from not introducing lfg to..well almost everything.

But ability delay, no thats just not acceptable. I play pvp for fun, but its getting a bit frustrating to save ur stun for the ball carrier in hutball..u wait and ...now hes on the platform with fire...u smash the stun button...and nothing happens..and they score....

Its happened a few times so yeah its getting old.

Things like that kinda kills the fun. If the devs arent on this as the no 1 prio issue atm, they need to switch their full attention to it immediatly. Things like this can actually kill even a very good game like SWTOR.

And yes its still a very very good game, im trying the story of an imperial agent atm and it beats the levelling experience in wow with lightyears.

I LOL'd so hard at this video...LOL Im still laughing.

Ok, but seriously, I do not think this is the 'combat delay' Bioware is referring to. They are referring to the fact that when you press an ability, it takes several seconds for that ability to register and execute. This is particularly relevant in warzones.

What you are experiencing, I have experienced too. I just move back or forward the ability goes off. I think it might be a problem that your character might be a bit too close to the target, sometimes the engine cant execute the ability, sometimes it does. A bug yes, game breaking no, and definately not what they are referring to.

Ok, but seriously, I do not think this is the 'combat delay' Bioware is referring to. They are referring to the fact that when you press an ability, it takes several seconds for that ability to register and execute. This is particularly relevant in warzones.

What you are experiencing, I have experienced too. I just move back or forward the ability goes off. I think it might be a problem that your character might be a bit too close to the target, sometimes the engine cant execute the ability, sometimes it does. A bug yes, game breaking no, and definately not what they are referring to.

It also happens with instant casts like defensive cooldowns that have no range.

Yes, it's a bug. It happens.

It doesn't prevent you from playing the game or progressing in it, which is generally the definition of "game-breaking."

I'm not defending it, I just think it's ridiculous to call it game-breaking when it's not.

Oh, it can prevent you from playing the game if you're doing stuff like PvP, heroics, flashpoints, or raiding, where it can lose you the whole fight consistently. AKA, everything that isn't soloing.

Just because it doesn't always prevent you from progressing in singleplayer content doesn't mean it's not gamebreaking. It gets far worse in group content. I once had this happen to me during a heroic and I could not tank a damn thing. It almost got me kicked from their group, but I apologized and redeemed myself in a different heroic where I magically had no ability delay anymore.

No, this is a different bug, one that has especially to do with lightsaber classes. When you parry or deflect an attack, it interrupts whatever attack you were in the middle of to show the defense animation, which causes ability failure and wastes a GCD. This happens most often when Saber Ward is up, since it increases the parry and deflect rate immensely, which is what the video demonstrates.

if abilities not going off when pressed is not game breaking, id love to see what you think is. its literally broke. you press an ability and it doesnt go off. i dont know how you can defend that

Isn't game breaking where you actually can't play the game? :rolleyes: