Update on Ilum Open World PvP issues

GabeAmatangelo

So a fix about 20 hours later after patch to prevent further doing of what has already happened during the first 20 hours is OK to you?

What about the 20 hours that have passed and all the valor ranks that have been gain?

Do you UNDERSTAND that there are people on this game that DO NOT PvP?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they are taking the servers down at 5am, it means they aren't taking them down right now. If they were going to roll back the servers (as they should) they wouldn't wait until 5 am the following morning, they'd just do it immediately.

This changes nothing. They are going to fix Ilum... maybe. It doesn't change what already happened, what they allowed to happen for 9 straight hours. The grief entire factions went through, that will never go away. Those players who experienced the griefing for hours and hours while BioWare wouldn't even RESPOND to forum complaints... those players might never (and really, should never) trust BioWare again.

-Macheath.

agreed .... if no rollback than the game is ruined

no challenge at all... just ruined

Overlooking the obvious huge issue of the valor, who in the world would release a "patch" where a random load screen pops up while you are fighting. Just randomly pops up to say hi. How can you claim to be committed to the future of the game when you let obvious crap slide through the door just to meet deadlines or whatever. Take pride in the work you do don't just shovel **** to the people who pay for the product.

You are either incredibly misinformed and closeted, or simply lying.

"NCsoft, developer of Aion, have recently had to perform a nearly fourteen hour rollback on live server Azphel last weekend after a reward glitch distributed over thirty trillion kinah to players on that server.

Earlier today we began to receive reports that a small number of players on the Azphel server had received over 30 trillion Kinah as part of a reward glitch. Since that time, we’ve brought down the Azphel server and have been working diligently to identify how to restore economic stability. We’ve made the decision to rollback the Azphel server data to 6:00am CST this morning and will continue to monitor all servers for related anomalies.

Full Details can be found at Aion’s website."

http://www.mmogamer.com/01/11/2010/aion-server-suffers-fourteen-hour-rollback

A simple google search will show that almost every MMO to date has had to rollback their servers at various points in time, for various reasons. Took about 15 secs. I'm sure you can find many other examples.

Exactly.

Aion has done it.

Rift did it with a pvp exploit.

WoW has done it. (You could purchase season 2 arena gear for free during BC. The following day, it was all gone. They rolled back all pvp gear acquisitions.)

It's been done before. MMOs have historically had a zero tolerance policy for exploits. If you were lucky, you just lost the stuff. If you weren't, you lost it and had account penalties. When BW fails to live up to that, people see a system open for cheating. I'm a battlemaster, this isn't make or break in the sense that others get BM easier. I don't care. The real issue is knowing that people will try to do any exploit and any douchebaggery to get an edge because the 'penalty" is non-existent.

Edited by Dosvidaniya

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to be clear and let you all know that we’re definitely aware of individuals who took extreme advantage of this situation and we will be carefully evaluating and taking action as necessary.

Get through your thick head that this is the only realistic solution that they can implement. If you think they can punish hundreds of thousands of players that got their progression legitimately in the whole game today in order to roll back the few hundreds that got it by exploiting, you must be the most delusional creature on the planet.

People at level 50 fighting it out on Ilum are the vast minority compared to the vast majority of the playerbase that isn't even near to get there.

Demanding for them to completely void the progression of the vast majority in order to hit the vast minority is ludicrous. The only thing you should be asking for is exactly what they promise, for those in that vast minority to be pinpointed and adressed individually.

There's no other solution in the realm of realism. Simple as that.

Overlooking the obvious huge issue of the valor, who in the world would release a "patch" where a random load screen pops up while you are fighting. Just randomly pops up to say hi. How can you claim to be committed to the future of the game when you let obvious crap slide through the door just to meet deadlines or whatever. Take pride in the work you do don't just shovel **** to the people who pay for the product.

bro they are there to test your reflexes and build your skill that the kids on the forums keep talking about. lern2pvp

I have no words for this...but...

............................................________

....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,

.............................,.-”...................................“-.,

.........................,/...............................................”:,

.....................,?......................................................\,

.................../...........................................................,}

................./......................................................,:`^`..}

.............../...................................................,:”........./

..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../

............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../

.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/

..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}

...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../

...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../

............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”

............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\

.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__

,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,

.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\

...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\

................................`:,,...........................`\.............._​_

.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``

........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\

...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

Any reason why they should roll back all the hundreds of thousands that got their progression legitimately again? Do tell.

To correct their mistake.

Other companies have done it.

The real mistake was that they did not bring down the servers with in the first hour to correct the problem -- or simply turn off the Illuim zones for the time being.

Rather, BW let the problem continue.

This is what Ilum has looked like all day on my server; about 1:1 ratio of republic to empire and back and fighting generally staying in the center of the map. There were a few pushes to each others bases when people decided to go between Ilum 1 and Ilum 2, but that's it.

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/1479/ilum.jpg

Roll back the valor gains for everyone if you want but there was hardly a faction imbalance in this case.

Which server is this?

Looks nice.

Fantastic.

Congratulations on officially the worst MMO launch period ever. I never thought Vanguard would get knocked off the bottom rung, but amazingly you managed it.

It's not that this debacle is incredibly earth shattering and the game is definitely still playable, but the simple facts of the matter are:

a) It took way to long to form any sort of coherent response (why wasn't Ilum just shut down till a fix was implemented?)

b) A second year programmer (let alone any developer with any pvp experience at all) could have seen this happening from a mile away.

c) People on the Public Test Server forums told you that this is exactly what would happen

d) Your response is completely inadequate

e) You are more interested in deleting posts or tickets than actually fixing problems

f) I've run out of tissues and now my salty tears are streaming down my face.

I am embarssed that I spoke out for this dev team previously - yes people make mistakes but this goes far beyond that. No consideration for the quality of your product or the experience of your subscriber base at all. Just keep raking in the cash.

100% this. This pvp team is entirely inadequate and SWTOR deserves better. The MMO community will know of this team's shortcomings and we will all avoid their games like the plague.

Not really, cosidering the hundreds of thousands playing the game right now and enjoying it, caring nothing about all the tears and rage of the overwhelming minority camping the forums. :rolleyes:

Failure does not mean they will end, but your "hundreds of thousands playing the game right now" means it will never be 10's of millions ever

NO NO AND NO!!

You dont just pick and choose who gets rolled back, you roll back everyone or no one.

I don't think he's talking about a "roll back." Usually in cases like this when players abuse a clear dev miscalculation to excess, one of two things happen.

1.) Their progress is reset to 0. (in this case, valor level = 0)

2.) They get banned.

If I somehow gained 20 valor levels overnight (I've gotten to about valor level 32 over the last two weeks pvping non-stop to put that into perspective) I would be waiting for one of these things to happen.

Rollback the valor.

Do the right think for once, Bioware.

Yeah because of course they have a separate database backup for every single parameter in the game right?

You seem to have no idea on how utterly unrealistic your suggestion is.

Why did Gabe lie to us?

Why would they say that enemy forces were suppose to instantly die when entering the camp

if there are turrets their to obviously kill enemies in the town?

They were just there for looks, you know, set pieces. ;)

Tapping out of TOR. It's been a fun month. I really wish the KOTOR series hadn't been abandoned for this.

I mean not one KOTOR released on the current console generation? Wow. We waited for this like some folks waited for DNF. (well, not that long!)

Hopefully the pace of the game can slow down. people completely capped out in every respect in an MMO in one month is a little... too fast.

I honestly hope to see a KOTOR 3 at some point, and that's why I'm posting here. Please have someone revisit this as a pure single player title.