Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

I don't think this has been said enough, so I'll just go ahead and quote the poster who worded this quite succinctly:

I'm not sure why people get hung up on 'hero sexual' companions when the game allows you to drastically alter a companion's appearance or turn them to the dark side at your whim.

That should be the only answer needed for people who think that making the companions all bisexual is somehow cheapening them.

Yes, in an idea world we'd have the full spectrum represented in the game, with some people of exclusive sexualities and others falling in between - but Bioware doesn't have infinite resources with which to make this happen... The simplest solution, with probably the least amount of work would be just to turn existing companions "hero sexual".

Edited by Zandilar

• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

making all characters bisexual

Still think that is the worst option. The easiest, but the worst.

For the same reason as this:

I'm not sure why people get hung up on 'hero sexual' companions when the game allows you to drastically alter a companion's appearance or turn them to the dark side at your whim.

I don't understand how can someone just change the character's appearance like that. I know I would never do it. I couldn't even bring myself to change the armor on some companions simply because that was the armor they were wearing when I met them.

Edited by Mechavomit

Looks like we cross posted each other. :) So, I'm just going to reply to your post here...

I don't understand how can someone just change the character's appearance like that. I know I would never do it. I couldn't even bring myself to change the armor on some companions simply because that was the armor they were wearing when I met them.

The reason some people do it is simply because they have the option to. I think I've only changed the appearance of three companions - Khem Vel, Kaliyo, and Corso, the former because I preferred the colour scheme I chose, and the latter two because... well, as I said, because the option was there. (Kaliyo's appearance change seems more realistic, since it's just the markings and facial piercings that change, and could be explained away as something Kaliyo did herself on a whim... can't recall if her eye colour changes too - maybe I'll check next time I'm on Jan'neria.)

As for armour, that's a really odd hang up. I'd want my companion protected by the best money could buy, so I have no problems changing their clothes/armour.

However, the main attribute that is changeable that I would put on the same level as sexuality, would be morality. There is at least one companion who can turn out light or dark sided depending on the actions of the player's character. If you're going to ask that the companions all have their own sexualities (and because they appear heterosexual right now, they should stay that way), then you have to ask that they remove the ability to determine [redacted due to spoilers]'s side of the Force - because that is just as realistic as letting the player determine their companion's sexuality.

Edited by Zandilar

But I do have to ask, what's the problem with all bisexual companions? After all, we can physically alter their appearances, and in some cases we can determine the companion's morality. Which is something we cannot do to our friends or family IRL, well, probably not without being arrested.

It is in canon that you can turn a force-user to the opposite side, plus, it fits when someone hangs out with a bad guy for long enough, they become bad themselves. Sometimes.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here. I can't stand when character stories differ so much (like it happened in DA).

Yet, there will always be non-canon pairings (and that is the worst possible thing that can happen to a franchise)

I am not trying to get uppity about anything. And I regret that "political correctness" has become a pejorative term when the intention is simply to be aware of other views and not to callously dismiss them.

Is allowing 2 or maybe 3 companion characters per faction really inclusive? Mathematically, perhaps. But if you can only meet them playing a female trooper, a female smuggler and a male consular, that's boxing it in pretty tight, making it a choice between class & gender or accessing same-gender content.

Okay, so let's look at the broadest possible application, that all romanceable companions are open to romance if the player pursues it, regardless of character gender. That leaves things in the hands of the player.

I don't see how a few different lines of dialog required for the difference ammounted to a strain on the voice acting at the time of production. New studio sessions with voice actors to add content will be more difficult and, I do not doubt, expensive.

Okay, now let's assume same-gender content is confined solely to romances with companion characters, which is in fact the only same-gender content to which BioWare has committed at this time.

Companion romances are buried fairly deep in the story. They are unlocked through furthering an ongoing friendship with the companion over a considerable span of time and requiring some dedication to reveal. Same-gender content limited to this aspect of the game is effectively invisible.

Now, if BioWare limited any implied intimacy to companions, that would still be pretty darn inclusive. But BioWare has also chosen to insert occasional options to flirt with NPCs encountered elsewhere along the way, either in story missions or side missions. These can result in a "fade to black" implied intimate encounter.

This content is far, far more visible. In the case of some class/gender combinations, it is prevalent to the extent that one cannot opt out of it without losing companion affection. Yet there are no same-gender opportunities at all. One is straight or celibate, period.

This is not inclusive. It is dismissive. The answer some people have suggested is to roll a character of the opposite gender and play that instead. That's not at all satisfactory either - as BioWare would seem to agree as they feel actual same-gender content is worth including with (some) companions (eventually).

Is same-gender content only acceptable where it is invisible and difficult to access? Why, if it deserves inclusion, does it only merit inclusion in the least visible manner possible?

These are amongst the questions BioWare should be prepared to answer, not just in the game design process, but to the players once the game policy has been determined.

That is why the carefully limited intention to include some options with some companions eventually is becoming a bit threadbare as a response. Which is why this thread needed to be created.

Because token inclusiveness is really just as much of an afterthought as no inclusion at all. It is saying, "we feel that this is worth addressing, but not if it's any trouble or risk."

Does BioWare feel that same-gender content ought to be included, or not? Either they do or they don't. To claim they do, where all evidence to date as far as what is in the game as it stands indicates a dismissive indifference, is fence-sitting of the worst kind.

This ought to have been in from the start. Whoever arrived at that notion of a compromise made a terrible decision that outrages both sides of the issue. I wonder why he still has a job.

BioWare has left itself few graceful ways out of this awkwardness. An apology would be a good place to begin, but I am not holding my breath. What is necessary is the sort of dialog on this issue which this thread is calling for. Finally, if BioWare is in fact sincere in its desire to be inclusive, they must act on it.

And a token response will not be an adequate demonstration of genuine support. It will come off badly after this bad beginning.

If a group of people say "we want x" to another group of people, and that group replies by saying "ok, you can have x. We want you to have x", that is not a "token response".

I see very few calls for every single companion to have the option for a same sex relationship. Only 2 or 2 of 6 have options for any relationship at all right now. I have just as much right to say "bioware sucks because as a straight female I can't sleep with the Qyzen or Zenith." In fact as a straight male I only have one relationship option as a consular (as there is only one female companion). As a straight man should I be offended that there is only 1 potential relationship for me, but there might be 3 for gay men?

I'm not. I'm offended there is NO option for gay men, but if they get 3 and I get 1, that's fine with me. Life isn't fair. I don't expect fairness. I expect equality.

Bioware has "apologized" for this not being part of the release game more then once. In the beta thread they kept saying how important it was to them and how they were upset they couldn't put it in from day one.

They haven't "apologized" that there are no guild halls yet, but I know they support guilds.

Bioware supports the BGLT community so much more then any other studio they are not even in the same ball park. Time after time they have made risky, unpopular design choices which are not the norm in the industry. They have taken considerable backlash for them in popular media yet did not back down. Their official stance on same sex relationships in starwars is "yes, they will be there, we know how important that is"

So ... what's the problem?

Edited by lexiekaboom

It is in canon that you can turn a force-user to the opposite side, plus, it fits when someone hangs out with a bad guy for long enough, they become bad themselves. Sometimes.

Canon that someone can be influenced over a LONG period of time, I'll accept. Anakin Skywalker comes to mind (we don't get to see everything that happens that turns him dark, but given the time period the films happen over, it didn't happen overnight).

But Revan and Malak being able to turn Bastila over the course of a week (latter) or a single conversation (former)? That's a plot device, done for the sake of the story. Completely unrealistic.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here. I can't stand when character stories differ so much (like it happened in DA).

I wouldn't know. I only played the stories one way... Well, at least with F!Warden and F!Hawke. And since you're ACTUALLY talking about DA2 (DAO, Alistair and Morrigan were straight unless you modded the game): I never got to see how Merril or Isabela were with male Hawkes, because I don't play male characters as a general rule. So, as far as I was concerned both of them were lesbian (well okay, Isabela is bisexual... But she was "designed" to be bisexual from the ground up).

Yet, there will always be non-canon pairings (and that is the worst possible thing that can happen to a franchise)

Okay, I'm curious... Why is that the worst possible thing to happen to a (game) franchise?

I actually think canon anything with regards to a game franchise where you can choose your character's gender is a mistake - hence my loathing for canon LS M!Revan (I don't care as much about the Exile because I never played KotOR2 beyond the first little bit anyway, but I can see how it would be annoying for DS/LS M!Exile and DS F!Exile players).

Edited by Zandilar

I dont know if this has been mentioned before but I'm thinking something might be mentioned when they discuss the Legacy system more. I believe they said you'd be able to make a family tree etc. have marriages, brothers, sisters, cousins and if you can do that I would assume they'd allow you to say your married to M/M or F/F and obviously M/F as well.

So if they do allow that I would hope that would be followed with more info on the subject actually at hand. Otherwise I think it would be a nice first step (though I'd still prefer some more concrete info regarding companions etc.)

If they don't allow M/M or F/F to be listed with the family tree that would be the first sign I would take that its way on the back burner and that they really don't care about this issue at all.

For me it't not a game ending issue, but I can see that a lot of ppl hold this up as a big deal, and I think as a result it should be addressed in a more timely manner than it has been.

For the topic at hand I'd love to have old companions be viable options, and would support wiping conversations (if needed) but would prefer it if new conversation options were added at the end of the storyline if you had already passed that stage.

Honetly I dont think canon means anything in old republic.. it happens so far before the movies and considering the republic and empire both fall and reform who knows how many times before the films occur that I dont really think what one person does with a npc affects anything especially considering how many options there are to do each converation or interaction.. no to mention there are thousands of instances of every class doiing the same story.. canon doesnt really affect anything in a setting this open.. if it were to be such an important thing then each class would have a set gender race and alignment, so in other words what is "canon" should not affect what possible relationship options there are

See the problem I have with the "it's dismissive" attitude is that it is based on the presumption that people are making a conscious effort to single you out for being ignored.

I have never, EVER played a video game anywhere that allowed me MY sexual preference, and it does not exist in SWTOR either. But I don't say "Those bastards! They left me out on PURPOSE!"

Bioware has "apologized" for this not being part of the release game more then once. In the beta thread they kept saying how important it was to them and how they were upset they couldn't put it in from day one.

Except it is in the game, right now. All the content we are asking for already exists in the game today. This was never an issue of resources or time or money or voice acting or "they couldn't put it in from day one". So any "apology" that might have been given rings pretty hollow to me. There is no "good" reason this shouldn't have been done for launch.

The only question really is has Bioware realized their mistake and decided to fix, if so when and how. All these other issues that keep getting brought up are rather pointless (should it be in, should it be new companions, should there be a toggle, should all the companions be bisexual, etc.). All pointless. BW should already know what the right thing to do at this point is, I simply want to know if they are going to do it.

Edited by Nozybidaj

I dont know if this has been mentioned before but I'm thinking something might be mentioned when they discuss the Legacy system more. I believe they said you'd be able to make a family tree etc. have marriages, brothers, sisters, cousins and if you can do that I would assume they'd allow you to say your married to M/M or F/F and obviously M/F as well.

*SNIPED

that is a very good point, it something i never considerd and if they did have that in it would be a stepping stone to SGRA.

however since you can romance and marry your companions i dont think you will be able to make your family husband and wife ithink or youde be cheating on them.

but who knows we would really need to hear more from bioware on this one.

See the problem I have with the "it's dismissive" attitude is that it is based on the presumption that people are making a conscious effort to single you out for being ignored.

I have never, EVER played a video game anywhere that allowed me MY sexual preference, and it does not exist in SWTOR either. But I don't say "Those bastards! They left me out on PURPOSE!"

its simply because they have had it in their games before that people cant understand why it isnt here, that being said male SGRa wernt in the first 2 mass effects and like you i didnt feel cheated.

An indiviual's sexual preference for, say, girls with large brown doe eyes and long, black hair is a little different than an entire demographic. May I ask what kind of sexual preference you're talking about?

They did make a conscious choice though - Bioware games have had same-gender content for nine years now, and let's remember that Mass Effect had content recorded for m/m and f/f stuff that didn't involve mono-gendered aliens but had it consciously taken out. To leave out same-gender content, something that's a staple for the company, someone must have said "don't do it". Clearly, Bioware have forces affecting them that want this content and those that do not, and sometimes they bow to the forces that don't.

I still don't think it's a coincedence that both SWTOR and Mass Effect were confirmed to suddenly have reversed their stance on same-gender romance in the same year that David Gaider talked about the significant number of people who used that content in DA:O. They finally realized that it wasn't just some social justice dream, but a reality of cold, hard cash. People who want same-gender romance are a market, and not a small one. And a lot of us are brand loyal, which is one of the most vital things for an MMO.

So now the only question is if whether we get another Kelly or Samara - or if we get Fenris and Anders and Isabela and Merrill. I know that I want those companions that are romanceable now to be so for everyone, especially those that you get as your first, who can influence you throughout the game.

If a group of people say "we want x" to another group of people, and that group replies by saying "ok, you can have x. We want you to have x", that is not a "token response".

I see very few calls for every single companion to have the option for a same sex relationship. Only 2 or 2 of 6 have options for any relationship at all right now. I have just as much right to say "bioware sucks because as a straight female I can't sleep with the Qyzen or Zenith." In fact as a straight male I only have one relationship option as a consular (as there is only one female companion). As a straight man should I be offended that there is only 1 potential relationship for me, but there might be 3 for gay men?

I'm not. I'm offended there is NO option for gay men, but if they get 3 and I get 1, that's fine with me. Life isn't fair. I don't expect fairness. I expect equality.

They haven't "apologized" that there are no guild halls yet, but I know they support guilds.

Bioware supports the BGLT community so much more then any other studio they are not even in the same ball park. Time after time they have made risky, unpopular design choices which are not the norm in the industry. They have taken considerable backlash for them in popular media yet did not back down. Their official stance on same sex relationships in starwars is "yes, they will be there, we know how important that is"

So ... what's the problem?

That in actuallity, they don't and it isn't.

Six months ago? I wasn't involved six months ago. I am involved now, as a paying subsciber, playing a game whose developers made a decision not to include same-gender content in the game as I am playing it.

The beta threads are gone. I have no way to evaluate that content, and they are not talking about it. It is easy to make a promise for eventual inclusion. I am simply not overjoyed that BioWare feels I am deserving of small concessions at some indefinite point of the future.

Their response to this community, the subscribers and players with "Founder" over our heads has been nonexistent. The only evidence I have seen of BioWare's vaunted "support" in action has been the thoughtfulness and thoroughness the forum moderators have shown in keeping this thread fairly polite and on-track.

The moderators are to be commended. But they are powerless to discuss content beyond the five month old final statement, much less to act as ombudsmen to the Dev Team, much less to actually influence design and implementation.

I appreciate their work. But that isn't what is missing from this game.

"You can have romances - some day - because that's out of the way and not going to really be visible. But we have this entire other, far more evident and prevalent system for NPC interaction. You'll be left out of that at launch, too, but you'll find out through play, and we're not going to talk about it" is token inclusionism... assuming it ever happens.

Except it is in the game, right now. All the content we are asking for already exists in the game today. This was never an issue of resources or time or money or voice acting or "they couldn't put it in from day one". So any "apology" that might have been given rings pretty hollow to me. There is no "good" reason this shouldn't have been done for launch.

There is no good reason this game didn't have guild halls day one. Time and time again people have said they have wanted them, so the only question now is when and what is taking so long.

Again, this doesn't mean Bioware hates guilds. It means there is a feature they want to get in the game that isn't in yet even though a lot of people want it.

The only question really is has Bioware realized their mistake and decided to fix, if so when and how. All these other issues that keep getting brought up are rather pointless (should it be in, should it be new companions, should there be a toggle, should all the companions be bisexual, etc.). All pointless. BW should already know what the right thing to do at this point is, I simply want to know if they are going to do it.

I can answer that for you! (I did in my last post, which I'm guessing you didn't read even though you quoted it)

Yes. They said they are going to fix it. More then once. In various media. They have said in no uncertain terms that same sex relationships WILL be added to SW:TOR. Not may, or might, or "if the options of the people playing the game is favourably". They have not given a date (just like guild halls).

There is no good reason this game didn't have guild halls day one. Time and time again people have said they have wanted them, so the only question now is when and what is taking so long.

Again, this doesn't mean Bioware hates guilds. It means there is a feature they want to get in the game that isn't in yet even though a lot of people want it.

I can answer that for you! (I did in my last post, which I'm guessing you didn't read even though you quoted it)

Yes. They said they are going to fix it. More then once. In various media. They have said in no uncertain terms that same sex relationships WILL be added to SW:TOR. Not may, or might, or "if the options of the people playing the game is favourably". They have not given a date (just like guild halls).

The difference between this and guild halls, however, is that they didn't add guild halls for Empire and left Republic with a "it's a post-launch feature" for weeks and now months. Because that would be ridiculous. The guild features that are coming up are entirely new content that has no equivalent already in the game. But romances are here. Same-gender romances are not going to be coded somehow differently or need extra UI space or even that much more graphics work than they've already done. They chose to include a feature for only a part of the player base and all we want is that same feature for all of us.

The difference between this and guild halls, however, is that they didn't add guild halls for Empire and left Republic with a "it's a post-launch feature" for weeks and now months. Because that would be ridiculous. The guild features that are coming up are entirely new content that has no equivalent already in the game. But romances are here. Same-gender romances are not going to be coded somehow differently or need extra UI space or even that much more graphics work than they've already done. They chose to include a feature for only a part of the player base and all we want is that same feature for all of us.

That's not ... really how coding works.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume you are NOT a fanatic give you the respect of assuming this is really just a understanding problem; that you're not just looking to hate Bioware regardless of fact.

You can't add to code like you are editing a word document. That's scripting. There isn't a line of code that says "in this conversation with Jack, give 3 options. If they hit one, this, if they hit two, this, if they hit three, this.". There is a script that says that.

But the CODE that says "male human can interact with female companion 1 when global variable x23s 4GU7 are both correct" is buried so deep in linked libraries that it's impossible to make any easy sort of change to this.

It's also pretty common knowledge that in the early development of this game LA said no to same sex relationships in a BIG way (there were official posts about how it would never be part of the game, the most famous being "there are no gay people in the starwars universe" one.)

So BW went ahead and coded the relationship system, compiled it, and tucked it away without same sex relationships being part of it because the people they were licensing the IP from said no.

Then (and this is why I am so vocal in making these post in support of Bioware) they FOUGHT WITH LA FOR 2 YEARS IN SUPPORT OF LGBT RIGHTS.

It fight ended when Bioware was given complete creative control of the game, and LA announced they would only be involved in marketing. This was after EA acquired BW, and late into the developmental of the game.

Within days of gaining control of the game they posted that, like all BW games, same sex relationships would in fact be part of SW:TOR and apologised for the statements made by LA (statements they did not even make).

Now they are spending time and money on having a team decompile the relationship libraries, change them, and test them.

And likely do a lot of new voice acting.

Hot, hot voice acting.

So no, they don't own you an apology. They have been fighting for you from day one. You are bighting the hand that feeds.

Except guild halls don't already exist in the game today but they decided only female characters can access them and they really really promise that "some day" males will be allowed to as well. That is the situation here.

It isn't a matter of the content not existing, it is the conscious choice they made to exclude particular characters from that content.

Considering how dubiously they have handled the issue to this point, I think I'll wait till i see some patch notes till I believe it. For that matter the form letter they copy paste in reply to questions about same gender content doesn't even actually say they WILL put this in the game, and it certainly doesn't include the hows and whens. It is just a vague made up excuse as to why they didn't already have it in the game.

This is something they could have done and in a patch next week. How hard is it to go check the "Can flirt with male/female" checkbox on the npc objects? Yet after 4 months we still have nothing to go on except a form letter and silence.

Okay, I'm curious... Why is that the worst possible thing to happen to a (game) franchise?

I'm talking more about the kind of pairings artsy teenage girls love to write about. The ones that just HAVE to be slashy and not make any sense.

The characters are friends? Make them kiss!

The charaters hate each other and would kill one another on sight? Make them kiss!

The characters have never met during the plot? MAKE THEM KISS!!!

This results in a lot of Anakin/Obi-Wan kind romances.

I'm talking more about the kind of pairings artsy teenage girls love to write about. The ones that just HAVE to be slashy and not make any sense.

The characters are friends? Make them kiss!

The charaters hate each other and would kill one another on sight? Make them kiss!

The characters have never met during the plot? MAKE THEM KISS!!!

This results in a lot of Anakin/Obi-Wan kind romances.

So teenage girl fanfic is the worst thing that can happen? :p

I'm not sure why anyone would care about that. /shrug

Because it created Twilight.

Point granted. :p:D

Still it isn't as bad as all that. Those things only effect you if you actually read/watch it. Same with same gender romances in TOR. They'll only effect you if you choose to follow the romance arcs.

You can't add to code like you are editing a word document. That's scripting. There isn't a line of code that says "in this conversation with Jack, give 3 options. If they hit one, this, if they hit two, this, if they hit three, this.". There is a script that says that.

But the CODE that says "male human can interact with female companion 1 when global variable x23s 4GU7 are both correct" is buried so deep in linked libraries that it's impossible to make any easy sort of change to this.

Seems to me, then, that if one means to include a possibility from the outset, that's a pretty poor way to accomplish that. Ergo, one infers that the decision was made later. I am all for allowing for a change of heart. I even like to give the benefit of the doubt. But I don't see a lot to encourage me here.

So, they left themselves with a difficult fix. Why not just tell us that, if that is the case?

It's also pretty common knowledge that in the early development of this game LA said no to same sex relationships in a BIG way (there were official posts about how it would never be part of the game, the most famous being "there are no gay people in the starwars universe" one.)

I have heard this alleged. Never seen anyone substantiate it, however. The quote you mention, while unfortunate, seems to have been a miscommunication from what little I have been able to uncover looking into this on my own.

So BW went ahead and coded the relationship system, compiled it, and tucked it away without same sex relationships being part of it because the people they were licensing the IP from said no.

Then (and this is why I am so vocal in making these post in support of Bioware) they FOUGHT WITH LA FOR 2 YEARS IN SUPPORT OF LGBT RIGHTS.

Again, can you substantiate any of this?

It fight ended when Bioware was given complete creative control of the game, and LA announced they would only be involved in marketing. This was after EA acquired BW, and late into the developmental of the game.

Within days of gaining control of the game they posted that, like all BW games, same sex relationships would in fact be part of SW:TOR and apologised for the statements made by LA (statements they did not even make).

Again, source?

You sound like an insider who's not supposed to be talking about this. Where are you getting your information?

Now they are spending time and money on having a team decompile the relationship libraries, change them, and test them.

And likely do a lot of new voice acting.

Hot, hot voice acting.

They are? Then why not discuss this? Why the hush-hush? They have been more than willing to give us a peek at the development process for other aspects of the game. And not offering any elaboration on this point is giving a bad impression.

So no, they don't own you an apology. They have been fighting for you from day one. You are bighting the hand that feeds.

No, I am asking the hand that dangles food out of reach how and when it intends to feed. If you haven't noticed, that bowl is empty.

My "day one" was when I was first able to play this game, over the holidays. All I have to go on is a short comment from last September, relative to what is in the game, relative to the information the Dev Team is clearly willing to discuss on other topics.

All in all, it's not encouraging. If this is not the impression they wish to convey, then it would help a great deal if they would talk about it.