Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

Just wanted to chime in that I love the gift idea -- it's a cute, semi-immersive way of toggling options. As someone mentioned above, the New Hope "reset" might be handy for anyone, SGRA or OGRA.

It doesn't really have an effect on random NPC flirting, no... I'd be just as happy getting equal flirt options for any flirtable NPC, regardless of gender -- and then being shot down by the NPC if need be. But that'd need some work possibly writing/recording appropriate rejection commentary... ;)

• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Althought I don't have any particular idea about how to implement it, I just wanted to input my full support into the same-gender relationships! Mako is just too cute, I want my bounty hunter to hook up with her! :p There's also Kira, for my future Jedi!

Just saying! lol

But, yeah, full support for this! I do want it to happen! If not with actual Companions, at least make nice ones that would work out in the future! :)

Just wanted to chime in that I love the gift idea -- it's a cute, semi-immersive way of toggling options. As someone mentioned above, the New Hope "reset" might be handy for anyone, SGRA or OGRA.

It doesn't really have an effect on random NPC flirting, no... I'd be just as happy getting equal flirt options for any flirtable NPC, regardless of gender -- and then being shot down by the NPC if need be. But that'd need some work possibly writing/recording appropriate rejection commentary... ;)

I too actually support these options, seems like a FAIR way to implement it and others might find the "New Hope" useful, Also LOVE THE REFERENCE.

I do like how the game remembers your choices though, Gives me a LOT of hope for the future

Have to say, I quite like the gift idea.

Personally I don't mind re-playing a character, but understandably many do. With the gift option it would open things up nicely for those who want it - same or opposite gender.

Perhaps a player romances Vette then decided on Jaessa for example, with the gift it would be a simple do-over.

Yup, a good idea - and love the 'New Hope' terminology.

While I'm here, I found this link on IGN about gay gaming that is not as bad as most IGN articles, a little light reading compared to how deep the article could've gone, but still a nice nod to our issue:

http://uk.games.ign.com/articles/121/1217180p1.html

Edit - blergh my spelling sucks today - I blame the tiny notebook I'm using and definitely not my failing mental faculties :D

Edited by MoogleNut
spelling

Which leads me to what I believe would be (in my humble opinion) an elegant solution to the issue of how to retroactively add this feature. Add two new gifts to the game, of the Courting type (or of a special alternate type). The gifts should be easily available to all players, just as regular gifts are in the fleet.

/meh Why should same gender romances be singled out as needing a "gift" to start the romance instead of just naturally the way the romances are intended to start? BW has already singled them out enough by not including them haven't they? The very fact we are even having this discussion is proof enough of that.

The second gift (let's call it "A New Hope"), when presented to a companion, will reset their romance and possibly quest conversation options. This might be best coupled with a corresponding reduction in affection, as a semi-artificial way to control the pacing of the conversations and romance. This would allow those who have progressed in the story the chance to play these romance options without having to re-roll.

That's fine for folks who have already leveled, but not for people just starting. So long as it isn't the "only" way to do it, have at it. I've purposefully been NOT playing my JK simply because I don't want to have to replay the same character later and in the meantime ruin the feeling of the leveling experience and the story telling. So long as they allow us to play the game the way it was meant to be with a new character, they can have an option to "reset" the romances however they choose I guess, won't effect me.

As for me, I also hope to have some official clarification soon

Definitely. In fact a renewal of my subscription hinges on it. I'm not entirely anticipating one though.

Wonder how many pages this will have to get to for "some" sort of answer :rolleyes:

Personally I think instead of Bioware adding another CONTENT PATCH in the form of flashpoints, and continuing story arc, They should get the following done first, call it a SOCIAL PATCH.

- FIX the /emote's, None of them work, /flirt /kiss /joke, no sound at all with those, and /sleep is broke unless every humanoid sleeps standing up.

- Allow NPC's ect to respond to above emotes. (you /dance with them, they dance with you ect)

- Same sex romances (DUH its what the topic is about)

And anything else they can think of to add to the RPG aspect of the game rather than another flashpoint for people to burn through within 3 days. (You will never keep up with the hard core so I wouldnt try tbh, there plenty else to try at the moment the game is young)

Wonder how many pages this will have to get to for "some" sort of answer :rolleyes:

437 :p

Personally I think instead of Bioware adding another CONTENT PATCH in the form of flashpoints, and continuing story arc, They should get the following done first, call it a SOCIAL PATCH.

- FIX the /emote's, None of them work, /flirt /kiss /joke, no sound at all with those, and /sleep is broke unless every humanoid sleeps standing up.

- Allow NPC's ect to respond to above emotes. (you /dance with them, they dance with you ect)

- Same sex romances (DUH its what the topic is about)

And anything else they can think of to add to the RPG aspect of the game rather than another flashpoint for people to burn through within 3 days. (You will never keep up with the hard core so I wouldnt try tbh, there plenty else to try at the moment the game is young)

Agree. The last thing the game needs is more Rakghouls, I mean seriously..... The game is terribly lacking in a lot of the features you mention though, and while they might seem silly or not very important in and of themselves at first glance they do help set atmosphere and improve and facilitate social interactions. In the end no matter how good the game is or isn't, if the social interactions are lacking, people are going to move on.

Now I'm really annoyed, but I'm not sure if I'm more angry at bioware or myself. Since SW:ToR doesn't have same gender romance yet, I decided to cancel my subscription and play something else while waiting. Since people here wrote that bioware was known for giving same gender romance options I thought I'd try out Mass Effect 2.

I've played through it. The game is really cool and the story lines are excellent. The only problem was that I ended up getting "*****" by one of the female crew. I was playing male, and the girl in the basement, for those who have played the game, the one who's so emotionally scarred. I tried to build a friendship with her, but it was really hard, since there seemed to be no middle ground between her shutting me off and her thinking I wanted a romantic relationship. Anyway, she completely got the wrong idea and then she surprised me in my quarters and there were no options for me to stop us ending up in bed together.

Then LATER I discover that there are no freaking same gender romance options in Mass Effect 2 either, so not only do I get ***** by a girl, I don't have the option of trying again and getting it right.

That's the reason why I'm angry at bioware, but the reason why I'm angry at myself is that I bought the game and I also bought SW:ToR before researching if the option was there. A lesson learned, I guess. Always research if a game has romance options, and if it has, check if it has proper same gender options, even if it spoils a bit of the fresh experience.

I will NEVER again give a single dime for a game with romance story lines that does not have same gender options. I will also encourage everyone also who are interested in that to not buy these games for the other content. Obviously, same gender romance will not be created for us if we give the companies our money anyway.

/RANT

Edited by gekko_s

The picture that I am seeing from all this . Is that there trying to delay it even further , in hope that players would just give up on asking about it. No ETA or anything from devs yet patches keep coming. Started asking myself if the devs actually know how to enable these features or not. On the other hand there are"rumors" that George Lucas is against this. So starting to question if we should be emailing him with this issue .:(

Well, we're not going to give up asking, are we? :p As for Georges Lucas being against it, I guess mass e-mailing him could be a good idea! Or start an Online petition and sending it to him! That might convince him! Then again, they are just rumors, right, there is no confirmation that he's truly against the idea! But that would surely suck!!! :(

Then LATER I discover that there are no freaking same gender romance options in Mass Effect 2 either, so not only do I get ***** by a girl, I don't have the option of trying again and getting it right.

There are indded Same sex romance options in ME2. They're just F-F, no M-M.

As for trying again.. you do know ME2 is a single player game? You can save at almost any point you'd like and load that save and try somethign different.

Now I'm really annoyed, but I'm not sure if I'm more angry at bioware or myself. Since SW:ToR doesn't have same gender romance yet, I decided to cancel my subscription and play something else while waiting. Since people here wrote that bioware was known for giving same gender romance options I thought I'd try out Mass Effect 2.

/RANT

Yeah, you should have done the research on that one. Only an F-F possibility in either ME1 or ME2. Dragon Age 2, while an ultimately disappointing game when compared to Dragon Age Origins (which is also a good choice for this) does have far more options regarding S/S content- and they aren't just dialogues that switch a "he" for "her" characters will love you for different reasons if you're male, female or whether or not they like or hate you. Yes, you can have love/hate relationships.

THAT is the only reason I'd ever recommend Dragon Age 2. Dragon Age Origins I will always recommend.

As for this game, as I was telling my friends tonight, it looks like my female Consular and female Trooper are going to be the only celebate player characters in this game the way things are going. Neither has the option for Nadia or *sigh* Elara *dreamy eyes*... I can be patient.

Regarding ME2. It is possible to avoid the romance with Jack (the girl in the basement). But yes ME1 and ME2 onlxy have f-f options and no m-m ones. this will be changed in the upcoming ME3 when for the first time a male Shepard can romance a male crew-mate. So if you like the gameplay of ME2 keep your safe games and import them into ME3. The DA franchise is much better in that regard and Jade Empire also allows you to have a lesbian or gay relationship ,though it is pretty easy to miss in JE so I recommend reading up on the forums on how to start it.

God I am such an embarrasing BioWare fanboy doing their promo here.

As for long we have to wait:

The first SGRA thread(s) reached about 14000 posts and never recieved an official statement. The second version (after that one interview when all hell broke loose) also counted several thousend post and the storm lasted weeks before any official answer.

So somehow I am not holding my breath for any announcement since they will likely only talk about it five minutes before the servers come up again after the patch has been uploaded to avoid controversy.

I really like the idea of a gift that serves to reset a NPC to the point when you meet them since a lot of players (not only those who want SGRAs) could benefit from it. What I do not like is a gift that would serve to unlock SGRAs specifically. Making any romance so that you first have to unlock it with a gift would be fine, but just singleing out SGRAs that way would feel wrong.

Edited by Wittand

The first SGRA thread(s) reached about 14000 posts and never recieved an official statement. The second version (after that one interview when all hell broke loose) also counted several thousend post and the storm lasted weeks before any official answer.

I am a Veteran of that war for equality, we won, but lost many in the fighting, the scars are still fresh in my memory.

As for trying again.. you do know ME2 is a single player game? You can save at almost any point you'd like and load that save and try somethign different.

Yes, I know, and you're missing two points. The dialogue that leads to Jack thinking you're interested in her is not time related to the point where she forces herself on you. That talk happened a long time ago, then when I fly through that Omega Relay, that's when she turns up and there are no options to avoid the scene. So I have no idea how far back into my load games I'd have to go to undo the damage, and I'd also have to play half the game over from that point, anyway.

But the important point is that if I did load or start over, I could try all the different I'd want and there still wouldn't be any possibility for me to get a romance that I'd like. Well, I did have a thing for Samara, but it wouldn't be the same. Thane was attractive and seemed like the likely candidate for romance and I kept going back to him for ages hoping he'd have something new to say other than that he'd like to think about what we'd just discussed.

F-F romance does nothing for me.

Edit: Apparantly, there is a way to avoid the scene with Jack, but I have to be a complete jerk to her to avoid it, but the damage has already been done. And since when did "I'm glad to see you" mean that I want to do the nasty with someone.

Edited by gekko_s

Yes, I know, and you're missing two points. The dialogue that leads to Jack thinking you're interested in her is not time related to the point where she forces herself on you. That talk happened a long time ago, then when I fly through that Omega Relay, that's when she turns up and there are no options to avoid the scene. So I have no idea how far back into my load games I'd have to go to undo the damage, and I'd also have to play half the game over from that point, anyway.

But the important point is that if I did load or start over, I could try all the different I'd want and there still wouldn't be any possibility for me to get a romance that I'd like. Well, I did have a thing for Samara, but it wouldn't be the same. Thane was attractive and seemed like the likely candidate for romance and I kept going back to him for ages hoping he'd have something new to say other than that he'd like to think about what we'd just discussed.

F-F romance does nothing for me.

Trust me , us girls were burned by ME2 as well - all thaose suggestive conversations and camera-angles with Jack/Miranda and Tali? Yeah, we got those too. Except with us the whole thing just stopped without warning at a certain point leaving a lot of rage - ESPECIALLY since we got the 'linking suits' comment from Tali, then Bam! Nothing.

Sorry but Mr Boring McToothy (Jacob), best bud/drinking partner Garrus or emo kermit, ahem Thane, Sorry :D are even remotely on my FemShep's radar. At least Kelly provided some amusement (until I got scared of Liara coffee-cupping me so re-loaded :o ).

And Samara /sigh - stoopid heartbreaker :(

Anyhoo - ETA please Bio? Fankenoo :cool:

I see what you mean. Somehow, I suspect girls and gay guys on average think the romance stories are more important, and are the ones who would consider buying a game because it has well thought out romances, and not because of a new physics engine or cool weapons. Still, it's the guys who like girls that get all the fun

To be fair, the main ss option is in ME1, and I think you have to have played that to toggle the Liara romance to get the option in the Shadowbroker DLC for ME2. Kelly doesn't really count as a romance, and all the actual new romance options in ME2 are heterosexual, much to some of my Sheps' regrets (Tali, why?). I can definitely see being baffled at that if you had assumed that all the MEs had ss options.

But to get back on topic, my game time is expiring, and I don't think I'll be renewing until we hear something from the devs on this. I have 3 characters over 20 and I am really feeling the lack of the romance options. I love the story, but I really don't want to play my main characters anymore while missing out on, what is to me, a major component of the gameplay. I actually put off leveling my favourite so if they implemented it, I wouldn't miss out or have to replay the class.

I'll actually probably replay the MEs in preparation for ME3 until we hear more.

How about a setting in preferences?

Flirt Options Active For:

Male Characters

Female Characters

Both

There already is a setting built into the game to keep you from flirting with NPCs you don't want to flirt with. Its called: Don't flirt with them.

It would be a huge insult to put this kind of safety lock over something like same gender romance in a game which routinely asks you to perform acts of violence, torture, sadism, terrorism, and even genocide without the slightest reservation and without any kind of values-based locking mechanism designed to prevent the player from accidentally experiencing it.

A lock like you describe essentially says "Yes, there's all kinds of horrible disgusting, and vile stuff in this game. But the worst, the stuff that we're willing to let you pre-emptively protect yourself from, is the idea that people with similar sex organs might kiss." It is not inclusive, nor is it a compromise. It is a slap in the face. And I don't think even the most homophobic people in the world can say with a straight face that torture, murder, and terrorism are even in the same league as romance between consenting adults.

Look, no one is asking that the NPCs to don popped-collar shirts and pre-frayed baseball caps and hound your characters with invitations to come over and listen to their new Jack Johnson CD and bro-out with them. You actually have to take the initiative to spark a romance with the NPCs in this game, so just don't do it if you don't want to.

For the record, I have yet to accidentally engage in an opposite-sex romance on any of my characters in the game and I know that all the people who don't want to engage in same gender romances in game are smart enough to be able to do the exact same as I did.

A well thought out romance does make a story 100 times better, even the worst stories in history are made better by a decent romance story within it.

If you want to play along with it great, If not fair enough you DON'T HAVE TO, (just click one of the other two options :p

No, it can be disturbing if you want to romance a full hetero guy (for example). When I flirt with a guy I like manly hetero men, not men who could be attracted by my brother or my best male friend, see? and don't say "just ignore the gay option of the dialogue", no sorry, I'm not blind and can see it. I'm not against gay relationships in the game at all, but I wouldn't like if all the new character are bi just to please people who want same-sex romances.

For some it would be disturbing to romance a guy (basic NPC I don't care, but companions are a different story) and see gay options popping up in the conversation when you don't want to, because you do roleplaying. For officially gay NPCs ok, but I don't want that every new companion turns to be bi. For me, either put the lock/unlock gay option, or create full new bi characters but also full new hetero characters. All of them don't need to be bi.

For people who RP, it's a problem.

But we already talked about that in soooo many other topics and I'm really sick of seeing 100 topics asking for same sex romance... some people are really obsessed and constantly open new threads about that and cannot search properly in the old topics -_- and everyone is saying the same thing again and again.

Edited by Evolvana

For me, either put the lock/unlock gay option, or create full new bi characters but also full new hetero characters. All of them don't need to be bi.

How about the next set of romanceable characters being exclusively homosexual, rather than bi or hetero?

But we already talked about that in soooo many other topics and I'm really sick of seeing 100 topics asking for same sex romance... some people are really obsessed and constantly open new threads about that and cannot search properly in the old topics -_- and everyone is saying the same thing again and again.

They keep capping and getting locked, and as there still hasn't been a whisper from the devs on it, people will keep talking about it until there is a response.

Sorry you've already gotten what you want and been promised out of the game, but there are others who haven't.