Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

1 - A rough eta on same sex relationships (flirting ect) Were not after a nailed down etched in stone, be all end all date, Just a rough idea. A week/Month maybe 3 ect ?

This.

There was nothing wrong with "we will add it after launch" as an initial answer, especially before launch. But declining to provide anything resembling an ETA or any idea how same gender stuff is going to be implemented makes one wonder if there is an actual plan yet.

Since this is the Internet, any absence of information will be filled by speculation.

But then, maybe the forum admins actually *enjoy* closing these threads every other day.

Edited by PTElder

• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The idea of new companions seems like a very hard and that's just from a writer's perspectives as you'd have to make 8 new characters, all with interesting and different pasts, personalities, dialog and of course relatable missions and scenes when you meet the person for a chat on the ship or something. The extra characters sounds like something that will take quite some time before it's even implimented.

8? Don't you mean 16? One of each gender for each class (at least).

It seems to me like Bioware had SGRAs planned right from the start, and if that is actually true, then they've probably got them ("new" SGRable companions) at least sketched out, if not some voice work already done.

Just because something wasn't included at launch, doesn't mean they haven't worked on it at all.

Also, there are complications with using existing characters that don't apply to totally new characters. For each existing romance they turn bi they'd have to give a good explanation as to why they've suddenly gone gay for your same sex protagonist. In my opinion, you can't just take lines with pronouns, record them with the opposite pronoun, bang them into the game, and flick a switch to make them suddenly bisexual. If the NPCs were bisexual from the beginning, why didn't they ever respond to my character who will most likely be 50 by the time the romances get introduced?

No one likes a retcon. (Having said that, I really wouldn't mind if Kira became bisexual, as I really like her and wish my JK could flirt with/romance her... But I'm sure others might find that annoying.)

Edited by Zandilar

8? Don't you mean 16? One of each gender for each class (at least).

It seems to me like Bioware had SGRAs planned right from the start, and if that is actually true, then they've probably got them ("new" SGRable companions) at least sketched out, if not some voice work already done.

Just because something wasn't included at launch, doesn't mean they haven't worked on it at all.

Also, there are complications with using existing characters that don't apply to totally new characters. For each existing romance they turn bi they'd have to give a good explanation as to why they've suddenly gone gay for your same sex protagonist. In my opinion, you can't just take lines with pronouns, record them with the opposite pronoun, bang them into the game, and flick a switch to make them suddenly bisexual. If the NPCs were bisexual from the beginning, why didn't they ever respond to my character who will most likely be 50 by the time the romances get introduced?

No one likes a retcon. (Having said that, I really wouldn't mind if Kira became bisexual, as I really like her and wish my JK could flirt with/romance her... But I'm sure others might find that annoying.)

ahh yes 16, sorry I was thinking of 1 for each class for some reason :p

If it's true they had them workable, then perhaps it won't take as long as I fear as hthey said they origonally were going to impliment it. Could mean they have some of the voices for some of the pre-existing characters, but one or two of the voice actors were pulled away for family reasons or a spot in a tv show or even movie. That's my hope anyway and the reason I've made a jedi knight to mess around on in the time being.

I agree we need some kind of rough ETA or more info as the current quote given to us is a little unclear if they mean to add new companions that are bi or if old ones will become bi when new companions appear. I'm also interested in what this new planet might be someone above mentioned.

This.

There was nothing wrong with "we will add it after launch" as an initial answer, especially before launch. But declining to provide anything resembling an ETA or any idea how same gender stuff is going to be implemented makes one wonder if there is an actual plan yet.

Since this is the Internet, any absence of information will be filled by speculation.

But then, maybe the forum admins actually *enjoy* closing these threads every other day.

Exactly, I also kind of need to know a rough estimate of when this will happen to decide if I'm going to stick with the game or stop playing until they implement it. I know the romance options aren't as important to everyone, but to me, in the games that have them, the romance storylines are among the things I look forward to experience the most.

The initial statement says this will be a post-launch feature and then "the game will live on through content expansions". In World of Warcraft, content expansions happen every year or so. I'm worried that we're not talking weeks or months, but more than a year, and if that's the case, or if we hear nothing, then I'd rather play something else.

As to how I wish they'll implement it, well, hopefully in a way that doesn't break the immersion and doesn't seem tagged on as an afterthought. The problem is that the thrill of a game is never as exciting as the first time it's played.

I don't even know how romance is implemented for different sexes right now, and I don't really want to know until I can experience it with the same gender, so as not to spoil the experience.

I also hope they don't make the companion I like the most unavailable for romance, so that probably means I'm voting 2a, that they make everyone bi. Games like these are there, after all, to let the each player live out their own fantasies and thrills.

Edited by gekko_s

Exactly, I also kind of need to know a rough estimate of when this will happen to decide if I'm going to stick with the game or stop playing until they implement it. I know the romance options aren't as important to everyone, but to me, in the games that have them, the romance storylines are among the things I look forward to experience the most.

The initial statement says this will be a post-launch feature and then "the game will live on through content expansions". In World of Warcraft, content expansions happen every year or so. I'm worried that we're not talking weeks or months, but more than a year, and if that's the case, or if we hear nothing, then I'd rather play something else.

Very much this. An ETA or even just an indication that they are working on it would be wonderful. The character interaction with companions was one of the reasons I started playing Bioware games in the first place, and gave up games like WoW. The storylines are incredibly compelling so far, but I hope it's not going to be upwards of a year before I'd be able to participate in a major component of the gameplay. If so, I'll happily play something else until we get an update.

Edited by justjking

Very much this. An ETA or even just an indication that they are working on it would be wonderful. The character interaction with companions was one of the reasons I started playing Bioware games in the first place, and gave up games like WoW. The storylines are incredibly compelling so far, but I hope it's not going to be upwards of a year before I'd be able to participate in a major component of the gameplay. If so, I'll happily play something else until we get an update.

Yes, I agree, the storylines in Star Wars have been much more engaging and fun so far than World of Warcraft ever was, and that makes me want to know about the same gender romance progress even more, because I want to get the best game experience possible from it.

Edited by gekko_s

Please stop pushing sexuality into my games.

Thank you.

Lol Really? Sexuality already exists in the game. And it's very one sided. Which is sad and unexpected considering Bioware is behind this game.

Anyway, I think for them to make SGRA work they would have to either do it with new companions/characters or expand on the already existing companions/characters and just open up a new "path" for them.

I mean, they're bringing the level cap up, right? And I'm sure we'll get plenty of expansions and such. So the already existing companions can just... decide they fancy your character in a new way as you push through new game material.

I even think it would be great for one companion to "come out of the closet" to you and bring out a back story about them hiding their real sexuality for one or more reasons. It'll give at least one companion a little more depth, I think.

Edited by EnufThree

Lol Really? Sexuality already exists in the game. And it's very one sided. Which is sad and unexpected considering Bioware is behind this game.

Anyway, I think for them to make SGRA work they would have to either do it with new companions/characters or expand on the already existing companions/characters and just open up a new "path" for them.

I mean, they're bringing the level cap up, right? And I'm sure we'll get plenty of expansions and such. So the already existing companions can just... decide they fancy your character in a new way as you push through new game material.

I even think it would be great for one companion to "come out of the closet" to you and bring out a back story about them hiding their real sexuality for one or more reasons. It'll give at least one companion a little more depth, I think.

That would be a compromise I'm not entirely fond of. I want the options added to the current stories and companions the way they were intended to be/should have been. Having the companions suddenly get interested after 50 levels worth of content is a pretty contrived way of introducing the content.

No, they just need to go back and fix the existing romances. Until then my JK remains un-played (and my subscription un-renewed).

Just wanted to add a little "don't feed the trolls" sticker, here. A few posts were already removed from the thread, one of which has been reposted by the same offender here! Just ignore them and you take away their power.

We now return to the intelligent discussion that I'm really quite enjoying!

I think this is part of a larger issue for Bioware, namely 'refreshing' the companions.

I think one of the things they really need to do to keep the game alive and fresh is to ensure that the companions have continuing and evolving stories. I think companions will get old pretty fast if after you get them to 10K affection (not hard) you've heard all they are ever going to say and that's that.

So in the process of doing new story driven content for the companions, I think it wouldn't be hard for them to open up the romance options for them.

For myself, I think that you should be able to romance them all, because:

1) this is a game. In the 'color' part of the game you should let people do what they want to have fun. Seriously, why care?

2) the idea of the game is that it is supposed to be representing a whole 'universe', but really they can only show little parts of it. In that big universe, you could pretty much find whatever you want, but Bioware can't design the whole universe, so the next best thing they can do is to make sure what they do design has as much flexibility as possible to represent that universe. Which leads me back to point 1.

Just wanted to add a little "don't feed the trolls" sticker, here. A few posts were already removed from the thread, one of which has been reposted by the same offender here! Just ignore them and you take away their power.

We now return to the intelligent discussion that I'm really quite enjoying!

The exact same post that had been removed, I believe.

Why he felt the need to restate such an off-topic tangent is beyond me... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I have to throw my hat in for 2a, simply because I adore most of the current female romance-options. Mako is adorable, Dorne is so rigid and proper, and Kira... Oh, Kira just has the greatest chemistry with the Knight. An absolute joy to have around while leveling, really.

It would be a shame to miss out on seeing the current romances, just because I exclusively play female characters. :( But 2b is certainly better than nothing.

Edited by Raiellyn

That would be a compromise I'm not entirely fond of. I want the options added to the current stories and companions the way they were intended to be/should have been. Having the companions suddenly get interested after 50 levels worth of content is a pretty contrived way of introducing the content.

No, they just need to go back and fix the existing romances. Until then my JK remains un-played (and my subscription un-renewed).

I agree that it would be very silly if current companions only got interested when you're 50 if you're same sex, but retconning companions is just as silly, as far as I'm concerned.

There must be some middle ground? Maybe changing some of the existing companions (but not all of them), adding some new ones, and also adding in some non-romance same sex flirt options into missions.

I suspect, if Bioware has been true to themselves, some of this was already in the works before launch when same-sex content got nixed.

Here's something I hope they make clear and that is if they will allow us a toggle filter much likthe profanity filter so people who don't wish to have domestic relationship politics pushed on them while gaming...

I'd also like to remind people whos sigs point to real life protests and movements are being reported shortly

I agree that it would be very silly if current companions only got interested when you're 50 if you're same sex, but retconning companions is just as silly, as far as I'm concerned.

Its not retcon'ing, its simply adding missing content.

If they want to tack on some sort of quest at 50 to allow the companions to then be romanced for folks that already leveled, fine, but not at the expense of having the content added to allow the romances to evolve naturally while leveling.

Its the sole reason I'm not playing my JK, hoping that it gets added in later. If all we get though are tacked on silly little conversations at 50 "oh I love you now" then I wouldn't even bother. That would just feel really cheap to me and would have basically no pacing to the story at all.

There must be some middle ground? Maybe changing some of the existing companions (but not all of them), adding some new ones, and also adding in some non-romance same sex flirt options into missions. .

All the companion romances that tie into the class story should be allowed to be romanced by either gender. It really detracts from the quality of the class story when they are not. New companions is always good, but a lot more work that we won't see for a long time, and won't be nearly as important to the character's overall story since they are added after the fact. More flirt options all around would be a good thing.

Edited by Nozybidaj

I hope they make clear and that is if they will allow us a toggle filter much like the profanity filter so people who don't wish to have domestic relationship politics pushed on them while gaming...

I believe that would be the other two dialogue options that don't have the bracketed [flirt] option next to them...

I realize it went by quite a few pages back, but I wanted to highlight this for effect, as it sums up very eloquently my, disappointment, with the current situation we've stumbled into:

Adding in a set of second hand companions with (at best) peripheral impact on that story simply to throw those who want same gender relations a bone would be rather insulting (though not as insulting as having been excluded from the start).

There have been countless games of all genres where romance of any sort was simply irrelevant, and I have enjoyed many of these. Ironically it is Bioware that has made me feel marginalized more than so many others, by first teasing me with promises of more complex and provocative story-lines and lasting decisions than we've come to expect, then reaching out a sympathetic hand and declaring that I too can partake of these adventures, only to fall back on promises of "Umm, sorry, we'll put it in the next game."

I don't believe anyone here wants to see a kludgy set of hand-waved casual hook-ups bolted onto a mature, evolved story that each of us will have already spent a hundred hours or more exploring, just for the sake of appeasing the 10% of the player base that feels hurt. It was a conscious, and bold, choice for Bioware to broach the traditional manner of how we interact with our AI-NPCs at all, and so unfortunate that it was done piecemeal, but that is where we are.

No one is chanting "SGR Now!" and I doubt anyone will, but add me to the list that would just like some inkling of whether the wait will be in days, moons, or turns of the galactic spiral. In Dragon Age, the answer was "Allister has no idea what you're getting at, but wait until a little later, wink wink nudge nudge." For Mass Effect, it's "Not until Episode 3" (I skipped the second, for now at least). Please just communicate with us.

/soapboxoff, thanks.

I just wanted to add my voice to the request of getting some kind of ETA on this, however broad and vague it may be. I just want enough of an estimate that I can make the decision about creating a character of a particular class now or waiting a bit, given that enjoying the romance story arc is a substantial part of the game experience for me.

Given that the official response always seems to be to point to the original statement about this being a post-launch feature, I am very pessimistic about getting any new information (and has me wondering about the placement of this on BW's priority list), but doesn't hurt to ask...

Making every character Bi would be completely pointless and hollow them out beyond repair, making a few ones Bi, like these new companions they're talking about adding with this feature, or Kailyo would if anything make the characters, their story, the game a little deeper.

As far as I know this seems to be the general rule when it comes to games with this feature.

Given that the official response always seems to be to point to the original statement about this being a post-launch feature, I am very pessimistic about getting any new information (and has me wondering about the placement of this on BW's priority list), but doesn't hurt to ask...

My own personal guess, based on nothing more than personal experience with MMO's and how promises made at times around launch tend to go, and my own gut feeling?

If they decide to only allow SGRA's by way of new companions the earliest I expect them is the first full expansion with a raise in the level cap so that the new companions can be written into the story. So a year maybe more at the least?

If they decide to update the existing companions with the missing content it could be any time, all they need do is implement the PC VO's, though they don't seem to be particularly interested in doing so, it could be years though the actual implementation effort would probably be relatively minor.

My pessimistic side say this will be vaporware and they'll never get around to it.

I would prefer 2a because I actually feel like it would be less work for Bioware. The lines of dialogue are already there, and I honestly wouldn't be at all surprised if Bioware had plenty of lines that were recorded but never used floating around at the office. Think about how long it takes to tape a 30 minute show in a TV studio; I could totally see them having recorded twice as much dialogue as there actually is in the game. Plus I'm really holding out for the ability to romance Sgt. Dorne on my female Vanguard. Dat voice. :D

They probably didn't want controversy at launch (Remember the Faux News idiots crying about how ME was a "sex simulator?" Yeah, like that.) so that's why it wasn't a launch option. And it's not a priority right this second because there are more pressing issues, like making sure their paying customers can actually play the game. But I wouldn't be surprised to see SS romance quietly sneak its way into the game very soon.

If they do decide to include "same gender" romance options, I hope they include some kind of filter similar to the profanity filter to block that option for players who don't want it for their characters (I think another poster in this thread mentioned something similar).

Many, like myself, play this game as a fun escape from reality, and have more traditional views concerning morality and human relationships. I don't even bother with any of the already existing "flirt" options during interactions with npc's or companions. While others here should have the options they want, the rest of us should have the option of filtering out aspects that we consider to be controversial sociopolitical issues.

Personally, I just want to have fun escaping from reality a few hours a week, being a Jedi fighting for peace and justice, or a Republic Trooper defending the Republic from the Sith Empire, or whatever. I see enough sociopolitical controversy in real life, I don't want to deal with it in a game.

If they do decide to include "same gender" romance options, I hope they include some kind of filter similar to the profanity filter to block that option for players who don't want it for their characters (I think another poster in this thread mentioned something similar).

Lucky for you, that option is already in. It's called "not picking things your character wouldn't do." At least it seems to be automatically enabled on all MY characters. It's why I'm completely free to not flirt with people I don't want to flirt with, not buy equipment I don't want to buy, and not participate in PVP.

Lucky for you, that option is already in. It's called "not picking things your character wouldn't do." At least it seems to be automatically enabled on all MY characters. It's why I'm completely free to not flirt with people I don't want to flirt with, not buy equipment I don't want to buy, and not participate in PVP.

To be quite honest, I think you do have a valid point. Like I mentioned in my other post, I don't even bother with the "flirt" option when it comes up in interactions with npc's and companions. I suppose my original post might have been a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to this topic....

;)

Edited by Eldartank

To be quite honest, I think you do have a valid point. Like I mentioned in my other post, I don't even bother with the "flirt" option when it comes up in interactions with npc's and companions. I suppose my original post might have been a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to this topic....

;)

Wow! Thank you for the really reasonable reply, actually. I'm sorry for the snark, in that case.

In a nicer way, I'm basically saying that including more things that more people would enjoy is a good thing for the game, even if not everyone enjoys them. I don't like PVP, you don't like same-sex relationships, others probably hate crafting. As long as nothing is forced (and seeing how things were done in Dragon Age, I don't think it will be) I'm all for adding the stuff!