100 Million Dollar game and the UI overlaps...

RoughCut

Did this entire UI team go on a 'team bonding' boat trip into the bermuda triangle and vanish then?

To even SUGGEST there has been any time allocated to the UI in the past 3 months is crazy. ONE person could significantly improve the UI in a single afternoon...

If they would just allow the user community to create custom UI mods, we could have it fixed in a couple hours. I know people who already have nice UIs designed. While 3rd party should not be required, it would be a nice interim solution.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So am I the only one wondering how this stuff got through BETA testing?

It got through because Bioware ignored most of the bug reports people filed, they were determined to release on 20 December and Hell freezing over wasn't going to prevent it.

They have a UI team

IMO there's no chance in heck that they have a dedicated UI team.

There's perhaps 2 people, one from the texture team and one from the coding team who also takes care of the UI when they have time. (which they probably never have).

I'm in PvP on Voidstar, and the map overlaps the right hotbar. And on the left the OPS groups overlap the left one... I have absolutely no idea how this stuff made it to live...

Thats becouse all beta testers are slckers looking only for best PvP class.

There are so many bugs in the end game that it makes you think what was beta testers doing all this time.

What happen to this UI? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar64ly0B-mU Look at that and tell me its not miles better than what we have now. Seriously....***..

Oh damn... Apart from the dark "something" all the way across the bottom of the screen that UI is MUCH better!

Why can't some UI designers understand that UI must be usable first and pretty second? Not the other way?

What happen to this UI? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar64ly0B-mU Look at that and tell me its not miles better than what we have now. Seriously....***..

People didn't like it so they changed it. I don't particularly like that one either, but at least the buff icons are a little more obvious.

No UI they design is going to appease the majority of players. Unfortunately, I don't think a scripting language/mod system is anywhere near getting done. Face it, these guys aren't the developers Blizzard are, they don't employ the best software engineers in the industry like Blizzard did for many years. They may just not have the capability to ever make a competent mod system. . . if they ever even try. WoW is the only MMO I ever played with a mod system that was remotely good; I don't think it's something any studio can just do competently.

The thing about the UI that really blows my mind is that they have an actual UI team. We constantly complained about the UI during beta. And devs (I remember GZ specifically as one of them) made comments indicating that they have a UI team that is working on it.

I, too, remember the Friday update that someone mentioned on the first page. They had a freaking video raving about how great they were for listening to the testers and the UI team created this great UI in response to tester feedback. (Also, I could swear that the video made mention of the UI being movable; I don't consider raid frames and chat box to qualify the UI as movable.)

So, the UI we have was made by a dedicated UI team. . . and they were, at least at one point, proud of it. :eek:

Ya but they really have lied about everything about this game..

There are so many bugs in the end game that it makes you think what was beta testers doing all this time.

Sadly you're wrong mate... All those bugs and imperfections we see today are STILL here, despite beign reported time and again by the beta testers. This one's on Bioware.

I play at 1950 x 1080 on a 27" monitor and have all of the same overlapping effects. I don't understand why we can't at least globally scale the UI down. My bar buttons are about a one inch square on my screen.

Also ditto the WZ interface overlapping the top slots of the right quickbar.

I have a 27inch IPS screen and play on 2560x1440 resolution and experience all the same crap as everyone else.

It doesn't matter how small or how large your monitor is.

It doesn't matter how low or how high your resolution is.

The UI is crap and a total joke for a big budget MMO like this in the year 2012 !

Well, if you look at how windows organize themselves (just two at a time) and switching from right to left, no resize, no possibility of changing position and such, it makes me think that it's somewhat a console GUI experiment for a game that was designed by console designers initially thought to be released in both formats (ala Final Fantasy XIV) only thing is that the console version didn't went through yet and the PC version was only half done xDDDD

Damn, I want to enjoy the game but having quite a hard time trying

I have a 27inch IPS screen and play on 2560x1440 resolution and experience all the same crap as everyone else.

Damn, if the UI is too big for my taste on 1680x1050, I can only imagine how much space it takes on your resolution...

I'm in PvP on Voidstar, and the map overlaps the right hotbar. And on the left the OPS groups overlap the left one... I have absolutely no idea how this stuff made it to live...

The overlapping was one of the big selling points actually, and one of the main reasons I waited so long for this game.

Next time, look up some info about a game you're planning to play.

And who was the Bioware person that decided it was a good idea to put a easily moused over icon of our ship in the lower left with a tooltip that completely covers our action bar?

Yeah that's exactly what I need in the heat of space battle.

Oh wait, stop shooting at me everybody! I want to look at the name of my ship. mmmmmmm such a nice name.

mission failed

The overlapping was one of the big selling points actually, and one of the main reasons I waited so long for this game.

Next time, look up some info about a game you're planning to play.

You waited for a game where multiple windows overlap, often without being obvious?

You love trying to activate one button, and something else happens?

But then again, this is the game where the ticket system activation is hard-locked to the key left of [1], under [ESC] and above [TAB] on many keyboard layouts. :sy_title:

That's really interesting. I have the same screen resolution and monitor size and nothing overlaps on my screen.

Don't get me wrong - I am not saying "it's your problem not the game's". I've seen some of my freinds' screens who have the same issues you speak of, I just haven't experienced it myself.

I actually notice that sometimes when I zone the size of some things on my screen (e.g., chatbar) will increase/decrease. However, it never changes so drastically as to cause overlap.

If my tip didn't work, I do wish that you find a solution. I am sure it is frustrating.

I too use a 27" at 1080p 1920x1080 and I see these overlaps, did you change something in setting somewhere?

Because when EA forced Bioware to stop twiddling their thumbs and release the game already many systems were still in a very incomplete state (UI/Companions/Crafting/etc.).

In order to make the deadline they had a few months to make 'release candidate' version of all the systems. It's the same reason you can't scale, move, resize, or otherwise change any UI element except raid frames (and I'm pretty sure those are an artifact from the previous UI).

I must say I am disappointed in this answer. You don’t sell a car to someone that has unfinished paint or without a window. How do you justify sell an unfinished game to millions of people? I understand that you are constantly updating the game which we pay ( ~ $ 15.00) per month for ( some things take time and patching ) I understand that but a broken UI really?

Of course there were some testers who were only looking for PvP p0wnage and nothing else during beta. But that was only a very small portion. The beta forums were very active and bug reports were filed very often. I haven't pvp'd in this game. At all. Not once; I don't care to sit in a queue for a random WZ, for one thing. Ans I was in testing for 6 months.

The end-game problems are in very large part to 2 factors. The first being that testing characters were constantly being wiped between builds, meaning starting from level 1 with each new build. Even their attempts to implement pre-made level 40+ characters didn't do much since the first bunch of times they broke the game and had to be pulled, and even once they got them stable, they were broken from a playability stand-point; quest problems, not enough credits to even gear properly, etc. . .

The second was that so much of the end game was added/changed at the last minute. Even the original Op that was advertised so far back, EV, wasn't put on the testing servers until the final build or the build just prior to that.

So, yes, you are right that end-game wasn't tested very well, but that was not a result of testers being lazy and spending all of their time on pvp.

This puzzles me just as much as there being no way to turn the camera smart pivot off...

dont have any of these problems here...must be your PC :)

ok at least now we know the problem doesn't exist at 800x600 res. thanks for the feedback bro :cool:

Edited by mufutiz