Hood On/Off Toggle?

Morniel

" Why would they deliberately scrap hours of worked that they felt looked so cool they used it to advertise the class for years, even putting such an image on the cover of the game? To make us not want to play the same class they spent so much time making us want to play?"

To balance out the classes, guessing they did not want too many Jedi running around. They always tried to show the other classes as cool as they could, probably because of the same reason.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that's just not true.

As you can see, the "twilek" toggle, actually makes the hood completely disappear. The same way goggles or helmet make the hood disappear.

On screenshots and NPC, you can clearly see a clipped "hood down" part on the shoulders.

If they thought they didn't have the time to work on the textures for all those hoods (because as you probably noticed, they tend to differ with different gear), it might take them a decent amount if time before fixing it.

And worst, there are MANY pieces that have a hood down, but tied to the chest. And there's nothing "easy" about having a toggle on that... While it's clear many gears were designed to have or not the hood (many jedi gear), many of them were thought "without a hood" right away (mainly, the sith armors, or the kind you get on tython).

I guess that they want something "equal" for everybody, so it might take a while.

But if we wait 9 months for a "hood disappears" toggle, I'll rage more than they can ever imagine.

I already gave two answers to that. (two possible answers)

1) They wanted a lot of people to "switch" and reroll, and play other classes so the Jedi Knight doesn't end up being TOO popular.

2) They keep the good stuff from us so they can add it in "content" updates, and pretend they worked on the content while all they did was actually working on the game breaking bugs that weren't supposed to be there for launch.

Then they are deliberately being jerks and saddling us with bald hooded characters to thin the ranks? I really don't want to believe that, so I'd have to go with number 2, but then so much evidence is in plain sight that they are done already and then I'm back to 1. Ugh. Really gross.

Sigh and no answer to the Twi'lek hood question. So frustrating. Going to be stuck wearing a non-hooded low level robe forever just to avoid graphical errors (Twi'lek bald syndrome) at this point. Stupid.

There's at least a couple decent caped options. I've got one now wearing at level 25 that is decent.

Unfortunately, haven't seen any heavy varieties that are orange yet.

I dont like the caped ones. They are really NOT for Star Wars. I really really cant imagine Kenobi in a triangle shaped cape. I wonder why there are so much of them anyways as only the Grievous Battle Droids wear something like that - correct me if I'm wrong. They are no Jedi robes they look so old-comic-style fitting for Heman or something.

At that state of information i'd prefer you, Bioware, to completely take out the hoods of any robe until you complete the luxury present of a toggle for the community (until then I don't care for the "hoods down thing" in the neck). As its an awful thing that Knights and others are damned to be bald. And for Luxury you might include one robe with a hood or something...

...however take them hair-thieves off my chest piece, please :rolleyes: ...just my 2 cents

Edited by Azrhyel

I dont like the caped ones. They are really NOT for Star Wars. I really really cant imagine Kenobi in a triangle shaped cape. I wonder why there are so much of them anyways as only the Grievous Battle Droids wear something like that - correct me if I'm wrong. They are no Jedi robes they look so old-comic-style fitting for Heman or something.

At that state of information i'd prefer you, Bioware, to completely take out the hoods of any robe until you complete the luxury present of a toggle for the community (until then I don't care for the "hoods down thing" in the neck). As its an awful thing that Knights and others are damned to be bald. And for Luxury you might include one robe with a hood or something...

...however take them hair-thieves off my chest piece, please :rolleyes: ...just my 2 cents

Agreed that I'm not a huge fan of the caped ones either, although I'm making due for now so I don't have to completely abandon my Knight. That said, I'm only playing half-heartedly at this point, finished Taris and at level 25 I don't even want to move onto Nar Shadda until I can get a proper robe with the hood down.

but it's more work than you might expect

If it's so hard, then how come Dark Age of Camelot has had the option to toggle hoods for TEN YEARS.

Absolutely pathetic. Putting in an option should not take too long. Then again, they are using the garbage HeroEngine, so maybe it is.

Here's the thing that baffles me.

Even if it IS hard, how on earth do you justify going life without having it coded in??

Or at the very least, NOT make every single robe set be hooded???

I cannot for the life of me believe that someone thought that it was fine and dandy that EVERYONE be hooded.

Here's the thing that baffles me.

Even if it IS hard, how on earth do you justify going life without having it coded in??

Or at the very least, NOT make every single robe set be hooded???

I cannot for the life of me believe that someone thought that it was fine and dandy that EVERYONE be hooded.

Right!! If the toggle was the coding equivalent of the Manhattan Project and they knew it, wouldn't they have been like, "fine, we'll just go half and half." Why would they feel the good bet was to go, "Everyone everywhere will prefer hood up even though we showed them 90 percent hood down images for three years and those videos are the reason they are playing the game in the first place! "

Edited by JohnRoy

I've been seriously considering parking my Guardian and rolling a Trooper. But no matter how much I try, I can't stop wanting to play what I had been picturing for close to 3 years now. The second I saw Ven Zallow in Decieved I knew what I wanted. It seemed so simple... no more alt making and class confusion, nothing balance wise would ever set me off. Now I'm level 32 with 48+ hours invested and I find out I may not see my face until 50 and beyond... and 75% of all armor they used to win me over was removed right before release?

In beta at level 15, I had already used two hood-down robes. One from Tython commendations (now a tunic) and one from Trouble in Deed on Coruscant (now a hooded cape, like a 100 others)

Why fix something that isn't broken? It makes absolutely no sense.

I've been seriously considering parking my Guardian and rolling a Trooper. But no matter how much I try, I can't stop wanting to play what I had been picturing for close to 3 years now. The second I saw Ven Zallow in Decieved I knew what I wanted. It seemed so simple... no more alt making and class confusion, nothing balance wise would ever set me off. Now I'm level 32 with 48+ hours invested and I find out I may not see my face until 50 and beyond... and 75% of all armor they used to win me over was removed right before release?

In beta at level 15, I had already used two hood-down robes. One from Tython commendations (now a tunic) and one from Trouble in Deed on Coruscant (now a hooded cape, like a 100 others)

Why fix something that isn't broken? It makes absolutely no sense.

Wow. I had no idea that hooded robes were in in beta. I only did the three weekend tests and never saw them. I was just as vocal (or obnoxious, depending on your point of view) in beta on this issue and heard nothing, but I didn't know they were ever in the game.

They were in before? And then yanked? Do you think this was part of the switch over from the old mod system and they were just casualties of that transition or do you think there was a deliberate "Ditch the hood down robes" push?

Hearing that they had them in and pulled them adds a dark new twist to this affair.

Wow I guess I'm not the only one who's thought of parking his Guardian until they fix the hood on/off thing. I enjoy playing my character but the hood takes away all the personality of my toon. I am amazed they missed this as immersive as this game was designed to be....

WOW

When they were in beta i really dont understand the whole thing.

I am really curious about the reason. There must be a reason i dont see... maybe they really wanted to avoid the pull-factor in the first wave of character generation and made them ugly hero-capes just keep players off the Jedi Knight... but i guess there must be a more wise reason.

This is EXACTLY what they want! To balance the population by making Knights no fun to play.

And have to admit its working. My knight is still on coruscant, and I have a LVL5 legacy already.

But I dont enjoy the other characters, because that is not what I want to play.

I went to bed last night wondering why I`m raging about this so much. Then I realized, that years ago my first post was about jedi robes, and how important it is to feel like a jedi when playing.

Then I calmed down as all the screenshots and videos came out showing jedi looking awsome. And I realized, that I have been lied to.

This in not the game that they promoted, and not the game I payed £50 for. You can not advertise a PC with one spec, and sell a different configuration and get away with it. Same here. You can not advertise Jedi Knights being great to play, and give us this load of ####.

Bioware, if you lie to people, they will rage and want their money back. JK was the reason I bought this game. So here: I want my money back!

This has probably been mentioned but a lot of visor helmets will remove the hood and make you look like a matrix character (albeit without the black). I've seen two visors that do this so far in my 30's and I'm fairly sure that one was from the class quest chain... That is keeping me sane until we get more options or I run into an orange trooper set I like.

I totally agree we need a toggle.

Simply more options to create a unique character are very welcome. Being able to dye, or at least change colour of a piece of armor would also be nice, like in DAoC.

Bioware needs to address this as it assists with the game play experience. Jedi Shadow.

I just read the Reddit post and it didn't sound like a hood toggle was coming anytime soon.. I'm assuming he meant laying the hood down and having an animation for a downed hood, instead of just removing it like a helmet. Removing it all together shouldn't be hard, they already did it for Twi'lek hoods and helmets in general.

But seriously, he said they knew it was an issue... if that was the case, why not just add a few hood down robes in the game? Give us a few diffrent colored orange moddable ones from vendors. I seriously can't think of a reason, it's like a bad dream...

I just read the Reddit post and it didn't sound like a hood toggle was coming anytime soon.. I'm assuming he meant laying the hood down and having an animation for a downed hood, instead of just removing it like a helmet. Removing it all together shouldn't be hard, they already did it for Twi'lek hoods and helmets in general.

But seriously, he said they knew it was an issue... if that was the case, why not just add a few hood down robes in the game? Give us a few diffrent colored orange moddable ones from vendors. I seriously can't think of a reason, it's like a bad dream...

And here are 14 hood down armors that they already have done that they could add in next week:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=97688&page=5

Agree. It is seriously annoying to have absolutely NO heavy armor robes without a hood, or at least the option to hide the hood.

It is especially frustrating when, e.g. the Jedi Knight progression video shows a hood down version for the guardian side. How did this happen? I don't understand.

Agree. It is seriously annoying to have absolutely NO heavy armor robes without a hood, or at least the option to hide the hood.

It is especially frustrating when, e.g. the Jedi Knight progression video shows a hood down version for the guardian side. How did this happen? I don't understand.

From what others have said, people in Beta complained they didn't have hoods, so they just put hoods on all the robes.

What they should've done is given both options, if they knew a hood toggle wouldn't be possibly by launch. Hopefully if we stay persistent, we can still get a temp fix soon, like a few nice orange hood down pieces added to commendation vendors or something.

Until we get a toggle, I believe we should send the developers a message by refusing to wear chest armor out of combat. Have a galaxy full of shirtless Jedi! Imagine the possibilities!

I already do protest in a way... basically bought a moddable trooper armor for my lvl, ditched the mods from it, put my old good Jedi modifications into it... no hood. :rolleyes:

It's kinda silly that they refuse to add something, what's clearly already done. Sadly, until whole lot of us yells and screams and kicks, they have no reason to do much. After all, we already did pay the money for the game. And honestly, how man people would quit over not having an aesthetic appeasement? Not many, I think. That is why this, from business point of view, they don't need to give a damn about this issue.