Is TOR done growing?

JediMasterShake

I am hoping this game is around for maybe a year, not more. I do not think this MMO lives up to my standards or the standards of the MMO market in 2012.

Just gonna play it while other people are still playing and (I assume) be forced to finally quit when there are always 50 people in the Fleet regardless of time of day.

Just for the record I am only still playing now because I have not decided what other MMO to play. ANy suggestions guys?

Appreciate it!

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We were having a discussion about the MMO genre in another thread, but it got deleted for other reasons. I think it's an interesting one to have, so maybe those folks want to rejoin it here.

I was saying that I didn't think there were many gamers out there left for TOR to snag, and I thought the game's subs would decline from here on out. Someone remarked that WoW grew over many years, and I made the point that the market was just different then - younger and less saturated.

Basically, most people who would be inclined to pick up and play TOR have already done so. Sure there are new/young gamers out there who could be drawn in, but the majority of people who would likely play a game like (Bioware fans, MMO fans, Star Wars fans, general gamers) have either heard about the game, had a friend play, seen a video on youtube, etc., and they've made their choice to play or not to play. Considering how long it's been hyped up, I just don't see many "undecideds" still out there.

I think that the game will lose 200-400k subs this month, which would still put them at a healthy 1.5+ million. But I definitely believe this game is done growing.

1. I have no idea what each server indicator means ie Full means 10k standard 5 k and so on

2. I have no idea how many people subscribed.

3. I have no idea how many people will leave

so in other words it's impossible to know

I have a high end system, and no lag.

no high res -- being added

Pointless crafting = your opinion

Boring PvP = again your opinion

Laggy and very basic combat -- I have no lag, but Ability delay is being handled by devs.

Dull and uninspired missions -- again your opinion

Broken high end raids = being addressed.

That wasnt my oppinion, i just pasted it from the post that you said is things that only minority suffers. Developers only stated that 5% are having performance issues. You or me dont know how majority feels about this game, best we can do is to guess.

So when a few hundred thousand unsub in the upcoming days are you gonna still go with the 5% theory just so I know to qoute you on it.

Few hundred thousand? I will take that bet. I bet it is only a few thousand to tens of thousands. If they have really reached 2million like another poster said I bet the amount lost on the 19th is less than 100 thousand.

Glad we have a bunch of fortunetellers here. I'd like to sign up for a private meeting with one of you guys to discuss my future.

Seriously, you guys wouldn't know if a good MMO hit you right in the face. What kind of expectations do you honestly have on a new MMO? Making you pregnant with an angelic child that will save the world from everything that is not perfect?

This is a newly launched MMO that has 10x the amount of content and polish any other MMO had in the past... yea since WoW launched. It had the biggest initial sales, and it has some great post-launch updates planned quickly.

If you want to see a horrible MMO launch, look at Final Fantasy 14.

And all those other games were somewhat good, but they definetely did not have the polish this game have. This is also coming from someone who totaly lost interest in this game and thought it looked like another bad WoW-clone, but on release day decided to buy it and got quite surprised how wrong I was.

This game will grow - no doubt about it, as long as Bioware can keep up with a fast update schedule.

Such polish when my main PVP and PVE shot over writes it self every other shot or just simply never fires. That I must stop and wait to use my escape ability. That my other charged shot over writes itself if you don't pay attention. Those are game breakers and hardly the list.

The game's been out for a month. If you honestly, honestly, honestly think it has such a short product cycle, you should get your head checked.

Honestly, son.

Yeah yeah it's been out for a month...it also had seven years worth of development and like a $300 million dollar budget. I could have made the greatest game of all time with those resources.

I think if you look at the PVP forums, the part of your post I bolded makes you look really stupid.

Just throwing that out there. :)

I'm a PvP'er and I don't think the PvP is boring in this game. Does it need work? Yes, but it's easily the most fun I've had PvPing in a MMO the past few years.

Just because the people who cry about the game are the ones that post a majority of the time doesn't mean everything on there is 100% true.

Yeah yeah it's been out for a month...it also had seven years worth of development and like a $300 million dollar budget. I could have made the greatest game of all time with those resources.

Stop spewing that $300 million line, it gives you away.

Edited by Meluna

Performance issues. They didnt say that only 5% suffered from boring PvP and other things you mentioned.

Yet several people I know who were big PvP fans of WoW says this games PvP is a lot more exciting and interesting.

I haven't tried it yet because I don't want to mess with Warzones too much until I hit 50, but the world PvP I have done has been great. I was a huge fan of WoW's world PvP when it was something good, and this game has the potential to make old school WoW world PvP look lame. The terrain design in SWTOR is far less restrictive than that of WoW...there are tons of interesting terrain features that can make PvP interesting and engaging. I've already been part of some great PvP battles that felt like something straight out of the movies, people maneuvering on mountainous inclines to get a strategic advantage, all sorts of really fun stuff that wasn't really possible in WoW.

So in reality, the PvP is not boring to most or even a serious percentage of players. If you are complaining because SWTOR hasn't launched with the kind of Arena system WoW took years to develop and which wasn't even part of their original game design, well I guess you may have an issue there, but not one someone with any common sense would think is a reason to act like a poo flinging monkey over.

Which is beside the point I'm making, kid. The product has only just hit retail, it's hardly done growing, no matter how much you dislike the current state of it.

Don't blame me because you lack insight in how product markets act and evolve.

Edited by Dekadez

That wasnt my oppinion, i just pasted it from the post that you said is things that only minority suffers. Developers only stated that 5% are having performance issues. You or me dont know how majority feels about this game, best we can do is to guess.

Finally something we can agree on :D

Lol @ people still using the "$300 million dollar budget" statement.

Warhammer sold a lot of units opening week. It's doing great, right?

Age of Conan sold a lot of units opening week. It's doing great, right?

Star Trek Online sold a lot of units opening week. It's doing great, right?

TOR will follow.

all three of those games saw a HUGE drop in players after the first 2 weeks.

That hasn't happened here.

At the end of the day, the game doesn't need 5+ million subscribers.
I'd be surprised if it's over 500k one year in.

I just don't think you can run the content that many times to keep you occupied longer. It took me one month to reach 50, and I had never played the game before, or had any exposure to the beta, etc.

Edited by Ansultares

Im sure you could, question is then why dont you? And dont say money, Trion got $100 million to make an MMO without anything to their name.

Which is beside the point I'm making, kid. The product has only just hit retail, it's hardly done growing, no matter how much you dislike the current state of it.

Don't blame me because you lack insight in how product markets act and evolve.

No need for insults. BioWare should have released a great product out of the gate instead of banking on player goodwill to hold them over until they have a game that is actually workable/fun/worthy of a subscription fee.

all three of those games saw a HUGE drop in players after the first 2 weeks.

That hasn't happened here.

Yes it has. Everyone I know has stopped playing this game add me and that 8. Which is unusual given the fact that I generally only know a couple of gamers. Many tried MMO for the first time and sadly this isn't an MMO and it is mostly boring.

The servers are dead man

Warhammer sold a lot of units opening week. It's doing great, right?

Age of Conan sold a lot of units opening week. It's doing great, right?

Star Trek Online sold a lot of units opening week. It's doing great, right?

TOR will follow.

None of the games you listed were anywhere close to TOR in pre-orders or box sales.

Apples n' Oranges.

I'm a PvP'er and I don't think the PvP is boring in this game. Does it need work? Yes, but it's easily the most fun I've had PvPing in a MMO the past few years.

Just because the people who cry about the game are the ones that post a majority of the time doesn't mean everything on there is 100% true.

You sir are not a pvp'er, you may think you are. But you are not.

If you did not play IPY2 you are not a pvper at the core, because in 2011 that where real pvpers hung out. Stuff like CoD is not pvp, that is competitive mode!!!

But if you think button smashing aka swtor pvp is good, ok or just plain not terrible pvp I am sorry but you dont know what you are talking about.

Edited by WutsInAName

Glad we have a bunch of fortunetellers here. I'd like to sign up for a private meeting with one of you guys to discuss my future.

Seriously, you guys wouldn't know if a good MMO hit you right in the face.

It'd be nice to skip this type of stuff and have real conversations for once.

My prediction is that most people who would be inclined to by TOR have either already done so, or decided not to. And that TOR is not going to do anything to change their minds.

I just don't see this game gaining players from any of these groups:

"I love WoW more than anything" - TOR can't compete with WoW at WoW's game. These folks will continue playing wow.

"I love Star Wars but I'm not really into MMOs since they are such a commitment. 200 hours til the level cap! No way" - This game is a grindfest. It's a true wow-era MMO. People know this.

"I like MMOs, but I am holding off for other PvP based MMOs" - The PvP in this game is very mediocre, at best.

"I was really on the fence, and I was waiting to see how the game panned out" - There is alot of negativity swirling around this game, and if it loses 200-400k subs, you're not going to see many fence sitters jump in.

There a LOT of new, big games coming out in the next few months. MMOs are always front loaded - their subs roll in early and they need to hold onto them. That's just how the market works in the last 3 years (please do not quote wow... the market was completely different 7 years ago).

I just see this game in decline. But feel free to constructively lay out your prediction. I promise not to insult you.

Edited by JediMasterShake

None of the games you listed were anywhere close to TOR in pre-orders or box sales.

Apples n' Oranges.

They all had close to a million box sales or at least 700,000+

Heck, most of the Warhammer team got cannibalized and shifted on over to BioWare to work on TOR. So yeah, it's a pretty apt comparison.

TOR is Warhammer 2.0

The game will have a BIG decline on the 20th, will it grow afterwards? Doubtful.

Because everyone has a "huge list" of things they hate about the game, play "that other game" yet feel compelled to post/troll on a game they hate right?

Just curious seeing as you have literally "nothing" good to say about the game. What's your deal?