[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

Let's not forget Ohlen is the one also bragging in interviews that only a very small minority of people have performance issues ingame, and they are all on outdated PC's way below the requirements.:rolleyes: At the same time that Reid confirmed that they were "looking into" performance issues for people with top end rigs, I might add.

The whole company is filled with liars that can't even keep their **** straight with each other, much less with us.

I know the mods might have beef with it, but a new thread needs to be started just for this topic. That's so backwards..

Edit: Ah, here it is: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=172154

Edited by Jessicayla

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Bioware, looks like your bad decision is making its way to the media now -

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/feature/6010/Tightening-Up-the-Graphics.html

And Mr Reid's explanation looks like it came straight out of Animal Farm. I've never seen so much doubletalk/treating people like they are stupid farm animals.

Awesome! Hope more media outlets catch wind of this.

Well, now that Star Trek Online is F2P, I figured I'd test Reid's theory that mmos can't handle high resolution graphics.

I guess he knows best.:rolleyes:

http://i.imgur.com/phNtx.jpg

Ain't that a kick in the nuts, when Cryptic/Perfect World can outdo EAware?

Here is RIFT in that can handle High Resolution. Enjoy.

Edited by Arkulin

The difference between hi-res and what we got the average player doesn't even notice. If you'd never been told your textures weren't in hi-res then you'd probably never known either.

Some people are just happy to be playing the game right now and the graphics look pretty damn good to me.

It's funny how people get so hung up on an issue that couldn't be helped. Don't you think Bioware would have loved to have hi-res ready at launch? Well duh of course they did. They found a problem and the hi-res textures didn't meet their expectations. Bioware is working on the issue and will have them out ASAP. Of course it is a high priority issue for them- they aren't stupid.

If it really is that big of an issue- then might I suggest leaving and coming back after they get the textures in? The game isn't going anywhere but you won't be playing.

BW made a decision. Get SWTOR out so people could actually play OR put off the release for another 6 months to a year. I've been waiting since 2007ish easily and I'm not sure how much more my enthusiasm or interest would have held up. Releasing a game at the right time is very important. The right time for SWTOR was Dec 20th, 2011.

I think, at this point, Bioware would do better to re-implement the high-res texture option. Yes, it may cause game instability -- provide a warning for such. Let players have the option.

You'll have people complaining either way. They're mad now because they feel "cheated" without the textures -- they can be mad later when the game runs sluggish, as Reid predicts, with high-res textures. At least in that second scenario, BW can say "you asked for it, we gave it to you, we warned you it may not be ideal gameplay" (more diplomatically, of course).

So, in that regard, I support the option for high-res textures.

This.

The difference between hi-res and what we got the average player doesn't even notice. If you'd never been told your textures weren't in hi-res then you'd probably never known either.

Some people are just happy to be playing the game right now and the graphics look pretty damn good to me.

It's funny how people get so hung up on an issue that couldn't be helped. Don't you think Bioware would have loved to have hi-res ready at launch? Well duh of course they did. They found a problem and the hi-res textures didn't meet their expectations. Bioware is working on the issue and will have them out ASAP. Of course it is a high priority issue for them- they aren't stupid.

If it really is that big of an issue- then might I suggest leaving and coming back after they get the textures in? The game isn't going anywhere but you won't be playing.

BW made a decision. Get SWTOR out so people could actually play OR put off the release for another 6 months to a year. I've been waiting since 2007ish easily and I'm not sure how much more my enthusiasm or interest would have held up. Releasing a game at the right time is very important. The right time for SWTOR was Dec 20th, 2011.

Uh, what resolution do you play at that you cannot tell these are low res textures? At 2560x1440 it is very noticeable.

So has this problem been fixed? I can't read through the entire thread, but it seems like people are saying I have to reinstall to get hi res textures. Is this true? I really don't want to because I bought the game digitally, and it's a huge pain to redownload the entire client.

Its amazing to me how many people are playing mind tricks on themselves. They know if they dont, they wouldnt be able to play considering all the issues with swtor currently.

Pick 3 random MMOs out of the best (Lotro, Rift, Eve-online. WoW, etc.) Load'em up and try'em out on high, assuming you have a high end system. The character gear in every single one looks better than swtors current display. Staggeringly better... more detailed, higher resolution, more intricate details up close or at a distance.

Consider that your character is in the center of the screen, and is the only graphical constant no matter where you travel. In hindsight, could they have made a worse decision? How could they make that decison? A players character is the one thing in the game world that is always right infront of them, all the time, no matter what. Even without the UI its the one thing that remains contant.

Its laughable how bad this decision was. It seems obvious that none of them have played their own game, much less any other mmo, for any significant amount of time.

Edited by Redorbz

So has this problem been fixed? I can't read through the entire thread, but it seems like people are saying I have to reinstall to get hi res textures. Is this true? I really don't want to because I bought the game digitally, and it's a huge pain to redownload the entire client.

Noone should be saying its fixed. It isnt, and it wasnt supposed to be. Whatever fix they are going to implement is coming with 1.2. Dont download again it will do nothing.

Its amazing to me how many people are playing mind tricks on themselves. They know if they dont, they wouldnt be able to play considering all the issues with swtor currently.

Pick 3 random MMOs out of the best (Lotro, Rift, Eve-online. WoW, etc.) Load'em up and try'em out on high, assuming you have a high end system. The character gear in every single one looks better than swtors current display. Staggeringly better... more detailed, higher resolution, more intricate details up close or at a distance.

You prob shouldnt put Eve and WoW in you little list. And staggeringly is prob not the best adjective to use either. Although if youre just going for sensationalism then ... job done.

You prob shouldnt put Eve and WoW in you little list. And staggeringly is prob not the best adjective to use either. Although if youre just going for sensationalism then ... job done.

Why shouldnt I put eve on my list? They have avatars, and they are amazingly hires and detailed.

This is pre-release, but its been ingame for months now.

and some wow examples

Both of arent even HD video, and they still blow away anything currently in swtor. In terms of detail and intricacy, not art style, stricly detail and resolution. I could go on with about a dozen other games. staggeringly better doesnt work for you? How about my impression of swtors current gear textures then staggeringly bad... job done.

In both those example, and in Rift, and Lotro I can see the stitching threads, creases in the cloth, metal pins and buttons holding the things together, in addtion to the major features of the gear. In swtor everything is jagged, blurry and looks terrible with current textures compared to all these.

Edited by Redorbz

Why not, Have you seen the character creation for EvE today? its BLOWS TOR away in every single way.

For a game that is about internet spaceships (rarely do you have to, or will see your avtar) the game has a staggering amount of options.

I tried out STO last night (F2P now) and even it has far more graphical setting options along with a FAR better character creation screen. For free players to top it off.

APB DIED and came back and even it has better graphics options and character choices, and it manages to look just as good (or better) than TOR.

Look I fanyboyed TOR quite a bit when it came out, but after checking out STO and looking to go back to either EvE or Rift or warhammer, I just can't see a reason for TOR to launch lacking so many basic features.

I have been playing KOTOR and it had AA and AF at launch, it came out in 2002/3?

I got three months of TOR left, and if its not improved by the end of that time I will just leave.

I want to see TOR do good, but from the sounds of it they managed to screw up adding a feature they removed from beta back into the launched product.

After Bioware/EA's implementation of 'off, low, high' AA, which equates to '0x,1x,1x,' I'm starting to think that they are simply incompetent when it comes to graphics. Or the engine they designed is so flawed that they simply can't get basic functionality.

Maybe the guys who started work on the engine during alpha/beta quit and the new guys can't figure it out? Seriously, this is crazy for a game with this kind of budget.

Why not, Have you seen the character creation for EvE today? its BLOWS TOR away in every single way.

For a game that is about internet spaceships (rarely do you have to, or will see your avtar) the game has a staggering amount of options.

I tried out STO last night (F2P now) and even it has far more graphical setting options along with a FAR better character creation screen. For free players to top it off.

APB DIED and came back and even it has better graphics options and character choices, and it manages to look just as good (or better) than TOR.

Look I fanyboyed TOR quite a bit when it came out, but after checking out STO and looking to go back to either EvE or Rift or warhammer, I just can't see a reason for TOR to launch lacking so many basic features.

I have been playing KOTOR and it had AA and AF at launch, it came out in 2002/3?

I got three months of TOR left, and if its not improved by the end of that time I will just leave.

I want to see TOR do good, but from the sounds of it they managed to screw up adding a feature they removed from beta back into the launched product.

Thus why I chose to use the word staggering, because it really is amazing how much better dozens of other MMOs look compared to swtor.

^

LOL, don't even know where to start with this one, following your logic anything over 800x600 resolution is not needed. Fact is this game is at least 5 years behind hardware graphically speaking.

You forget the fact that:

1) It was in Beta

2) We played that Beta

3) Released SWTOR worse than Beta release

Are you serious. Look at these EvE INGAME trailers and QFT.

The Trinity Graphics Engine renders the stunning appearance of our virtual worlds. Since 2003, it has powered the graphics of EVE Online, and during this time has been constantly improved to maintain its position at the cutting edge of graphics technology.

Oh, look, they said in their "little disclaimer" at the begining of the video below:" ALL SCENES IN THIS TRAILER WERE CAPTURED FROM ACTUAL GAMEPLAY WITH REAL PLAYERS"

After Bioware/EA's implementation of 'off, low, high' AA, which equates to '0x,1x,1x,' I'm starting to think that they are simply incompetent when it comes to graphics. Or the engine they designed is so flawed that they simply can't get basic functionality.

Yup, the AA is a JOKE

Holy ****, eve looks amazing

Edited by Kserberus

still not fixed as of todays patch, this is becoming an industry joke

Its sad for the gamers too. Swtor had a lot of potential. The more I read the patch notes, fanboy posts, Dev posts, etc., the more obvious it is that theres a trend of bad decisions and/or poor leadership here. It becomes more clear with each one I notice, that cancelling is the only choice. Just glad it was sooner rather than later.

I used to say Id resub if they started working on the real problems, but now Im not even sure about that.

If BW just renamed the buttons to "Regular" and "High", would you all shut up about this?

This is such a non-issue it honestly hurts my brain thinking about all the petty people in here whining about something so inconsequential.

Thus why I chose to use the word staggering, because it really is amazing how much better dozens of other MMOs look compared to swtor.

Not only look better, but run more than twice as fast as well.

On the textures, why not give just the main character high res textures? Won't cause that much of a performance hit would it? The rest can be the same as it is, I would just like to see my own character in high res. I've seen this very good idea pass a couple of times.

If BW just renamed the buttons to "Regular" and "High", would you all shut up about this?

This is such a non-issue it honestly hurts my brain thinking about all the petty people in here whining about something so inconsequential.

What High are you talking about you troll ?

Are you serious. Look at these EvE INGAME trailers and QFT.

The Trinity Graphics Engine renders the stunning appearance of our virtual worlds. Since 2003, it has powered the graphics of EVE Online, and during this time has been constantly improved to maintain its position at the cutting edge of graphics technology.

Oh, look, they said in their "little disclaimer" at the begining of the video below:" ALL SCENES IN THIS TRAILER WERE CAPTURED FROM ACTUAL GAMEPLAY WITH REAL PLAYERS"

What is the point of this post?

The first video is a technology demonstration. It would be sweet if any game had that type of character to play but its just a demo.

Out of the next three. Only the one you cleverly highlighted in huge red letters is in game footage and it shows a bunch of spaceships having a space battle. Does it look good, sure. Does it have anything in common with a rendered 3d world with animated avatars? No .. not at all. EVE is a great looking game but lets stick with apples.

The video your compadre posted of captains quarters is equally pointless. Its one avatar walking around in a fairly low detail ship. It like if i posted a video from swtor showing the ship interiors in this ... equally unimpressive.

This all gets back to the whole problem I have with some of the posters in this thread. That is the ridiculous hyperbole and inaccuracy you will go to to try and prove a point. You are upset that theres no HD textures in swtor general gameplay .. so am I. Leave it at that.

Its absurd to say things like wow looks staggeringly better from any distance, similarly LoTRo. I played that for nearly a year. Its not great. The animations are awful, the textures are not staggeringly better than anything. They arent nasty but they arent great either. And STo?? Are you serious, did you actually play the the portion of the game with your guy running around? .../shudder. And now its dozens of mmo's that are staggeringly better than swtor? I really wish I could stop reading this thread .. its like a bad movie, i just cant look away.