Already Lost my Video Cards, Game Runs Hot

iphonemilk

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Just recently had to replace my 2 6870's.

Recently just bought 2 new 6970's.

**Btw my 6870's have been working PERFECTLY until this game came out**

I'd say maybe 2 weeks into playing SWTOR? My cards died...

Now i'm on my new 6970's and I notice the fans on them are SPIKING up sometimes, probably because THOSE AS WELL are getting hot.

Going to have to take the other posters advice and LIMIT my FPS now.. and do some other regulatory measure to make sure my cards don't die.. or just quit playing.

Bioware are you reading this? Your GAME IS DESTROYING HARDWARE.

Provide a photo of your computer setup. I'm sure you won't/can't because you're making this stuff up.

Skyrim runs far hotter on my GTX 570 Superclocked than SWTOR does, even with AA enabled through the .ini. Definitely check your system airflow and the like.

People need to understand that there are a million different things that can influence why it happens to some people and not others, and they arent all user related.

I'm sure some people do have naff airflow or cable management. Others (like myself, long time gamer, IT Professional) have a pretty in depth understanding of computers and how they are meant to run and more than likely dont have pigeons roosting in our fan vents.

Either you live in a Africa or you are full of crap, cards are safe up to a pretty high temperature and this game doesn't run the cards THAT hot.

Sorry but amongst all the different claims for this game, this has got to be the most stupid one I have seen. Two high end cards failing at the same time? Nah brah.

What do you know about GPU hardware implementation, drivers, and interfaces/interfacing between computers? Sounds like you just read something off the internet and think you know something.

You don't know ****, don't post garbage like this.

And @ whoever said the eye sees 24 FPS, same to you.

No wonder I make so much money off people when some of you actually believe in the false crap floating around the net + word of mouth.

An mmo like this should try to appeal to as many people as possiblr. Meaning they should work on improving performance on all machines but especialy low end machines. More graphics options to start, we cant even turn off particle effects.

i have a phenom 1090t with a radeon 6850hd ... The game barelly scratch 40% usage on my video card and it's the cheap less than 1 gig ram ....

If the game is riding any higher than this it's because you have a CPU/ram bottleneck ... the video card in this game is near useless it could run on a 9600GT from 2006.

That makes sense as from what I've seen this game runs BETTER on low end, old ops, one card machines and seems not to run well at all on dual card, high end machines, ops.

I got better graphics/performance by dumbing it down.

Just recently had to replace my 2 6870's.

Recently just bought 2 new 6970's.

**Btw my 6870's have been working PERFECTLY until this game came out**

I'd say maybe 2 weeks into playing SWTOR? My cards died...

Now i'm on my new 6970's and I notice the fans on them are SPIKING up sometimes, probably because THOSE AS WELL are getting hot.

Going to have to take the other posters advice and LIMIT my FPS now.. and do some other regulatory measure to make sure my cards don't die.. or just quit playing.

Bioware are you reading this? Your GAME IS DESTROYING HARDWARE.

Troll.

you're using ATI cards, that's your problem :)

Sigh, know anything about hardware? Or about how AMD cards (they're not called ATI any more, haven't been for a while) run a lot cooler than NVidia cards? Or how GPU for GPU on relative cards the AMD cards are much more efficient, give higher performance, and their crossfire and tri-fire set ups destroy NVidia cards in every single benchmark test available?

I'm not an AMD fan or an NVidia fan, I had NVidia before this card and AMD now... because I did a lot of research and AMD cards are vastly improved.

NVidia fan boys need to do some research before they talk rubbish about cards.

Sigh, know anything about hardware? Or about how AMD cards (they're not called ATI any more, haven't been for a while) run a lot cooler than NVidia cards? Or how GPU for GPU on relative cards the AMD cards are much more efficient, give higher performance, and their crossfire and tri-fire set ups destroy NVidia cards in every single benchmark test available?

I'm not an AMD fan or an NVidia fan, I had NVidia before this card and AMD now... because I did a lot of research and AMD cards are vastly improved.

NVidia fan boys need to do some research before they talk rubbish about cards.

I'll stick to my personal experience and what actually works, regardless of what a benchmark setup says.

That makes sense as from what I've seen this game runs BETTER on low end, old ops, one card machines and seems not to run well at all on dual card, high end machines, ops.

I got better graphics/performance by dumbing it down.

the game pre render on your card ... and it's exactly why it looks like crap on high end because the software does not recognize it ... i have an old turd laying around from 2008 and i tried it on ... Swtor run just as well on my 4 year old boxed computer than my brand new one from late 2010..

That's why the whole heating thing is a trololol... If i can run the game on a 9600gt overclocked to meet basic spec i'm not sure why your computer cannot handle it....Worste my 2005 laptop that i use to watch movies during traffic can run the game with a cheap inboard video card with no ram on it... granted it takes 5 minute to load the graphic and the fleet is unnacessible.

Wether the game causes heat build up is debatable, however there is one thing that isn't.

Your GPU/GPUs/CPU and everything else should be able to maintain a stable temperature even if they are all under 100% load for extended periods. They can not go beyond 100% load, so if they overheat enough to cause damage / shutdowns etc then you do not have sufficient cooling on your PC .... fact.

It may well be that TOR is putting undue stress on the GPU etc due to bad coding, but the same still applies. You should have a sufficiently efficient cooling setup to keep the temps down and this can be achieve on pretty much any system (that isn't overclocked) with stock air cooling (with some exceptions like the new Intel 2011 socket CPUs that don't come with stock cooling).

I dare anyone having overheating issues while playing SWTOR, whether with the graphics card or the processor, to run some benchmark tests.

Run Intel burntest for the CPU and something like Unigine, 3dmark or Furmark for the GPU. They will push your components to maximum useage and unless you can pass these tests without your components overheating, it is pointless to try and blame the game for frying your system.

Edited by Amarinth

Again people show they don't know what they're talking about when they say "but I run Skyrim!!!! Derp derp derp!!". So? You run Skyrim... and? Tell me why that should make a difference, go on, prove to me with facts why Skyrim should make your system "run hotter".

SWTOR has a lot more information going on in it than any top end game out there at the moment. I run the Witcher2 on Ultra settings and that game is an absolute barstuard graphically, and it my system just about runs it smoothly on Ultra. Compared to the Witcher2 though this game is actually more "intensive" when it comes to the work your CPU and GPU needs to do.

That's very strange, because I monitor both my CPU and GPU usage and temps through a number of utilities, and Skyrim is both more CPU and GPU intensive (pushes both to higher usage rates and temps) than SWTOR does. Maybe it's because I'm running with AA, AF, a high-res texture pack, and the post-processor in Skyrim - I don't know. But the fact that both CPU and GPU usage runs consistently higher in Skyrim than in SWTOR seems like pretty good proof to me that it's a more demanding game.

That's very strange, because I monitor both my CPU and GPU usage and temps through a number of utilities, and Skyrim is both more CPU and GPU intensive (pushes both to higher usage rates and temps) than SWTOR does. Maybe it's because I'm running with AA, AF, a high-res texture pack, and the post-processor in Skyrim - I don't know. But the fact that both CPU and GPU usage runs consistently higher in Skyrim than in SWTOR seems like pretty good proof to me that it's a more demanding game.

it is ... don't let the bad troll who think because swtor has so much content that it requires more process.

The fact of the matter i would agree with them if swtor had the same particle effect and reflection than skyrim but it does not the design of swtor is pretty bland take for example lightsaber reflection they only affect your own character and nothing else in the world ... Unlike skyrim where lighting reflection affect the whole world around you.

Swtor feel like a copy paste made in 30 minute by someone who had no idea what he was pasting ... The floor reflection is the perfect example ... camera pivot are not even effecting the correct angle. ( plenty of example in this thread of people who print screen a hanger with the reflection of a hall on their floor... or the republic fleet having the empire fleet reflection.)

SWTOR makes my vid cards hotter than BF3.

2hrs into BF3 and my twin 560ti's are topping out at 57c & 55c. 2hrs into SWTOR and they hit 64c and 60c. No OC, both games settings are maxed out.

Oddly enough, my lappy's vid card (Asus G73jw w/GTX 460) runs at nearly identical temps on both games. Right around 70c.

My temps are obviously nothing to be concerned about, but I've seen enough of these threads to believe there is something odd going on. I hope it gets nailed down soon for you guys!

SWTOR makes my vid cards hotter than BF3.

2hrs into BF3 and my twin 560ti's are topping out at 57c & 55c. 2hrs into SWTOR and they hit 64c and 60c. No OC, both games settings are maxed out.

Oddly enough, my lappy's vid card (Asus G73jw w/GTX 460) runs at nearly identical temps on both games. Right around 70c.

My temps are obviously nothing to be concerned about, but I've seen enough of these threads to believe there is something odd going on. I hope it gets nailed down soon for you guys!

did you redownload the game since the beta ? It seem like it's a common problem betwen people who still use the beta and the release version of the game.

As others have said you need a 3rd party fan controller for ATI I use msi afterburner. An personally I think there has to be something wrong with the game or its just horribly coded cause Ive only every seen 1 other game with graphic's this outdated run cards so hot an that's FFXI an its common knowledge how badly the game is coded anyone who played FFXI and monitored card temps can tell you it ran far to hot for how old it is not to mention the game is nearly 100% CPU bound and still heats cards up like there's no tomorrow.

Personally I recommend anyone who whats to keep there cards healthy to run some 3rd party fan controller there are plenty of games out there that run cards ragged simple because of how much pretty is packed into every pixel and the default fan settings just cant handle it they prioritize so the fan stays slow and quite as long as it can usually to the point there the drivers crash cause the card is overheating.