The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Is the game failing? :(

Blackweb

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very informative tbh, I'm no developer but I do know that bug reports are essential which is why I have been making them during beta and now still in the actual game.

I'm just... dissapointed, I was hoping that they would somehow hit that X-factor like wow has, you know what I mean? When you take all these things that the game consists of, graphics, sounds, community, infrastructure etc. etc. etc. and they all come together in harmony to give you that "wow" feeling. Cuz wow did give us that feeling when it was released, yes there were bugs and plenty of things not working right, but even then it had the "wow" feel, it had the x-factor and this game just doesn't have it. I truly hope they find it though... crossing my fingers all the way.

Having survived the QQfest which was WoW's vanilla release I feel I have a fairly tempered perspective. The WoW many are trying to compare SWTOR to has had 8 years (including open beta) to get there. WoW was unstable its first six months as servers were crashing, nodes were unfarmable and there really wasn't an end game. Raids were patched in.

What some aren't realizing is that design rules have changed since then - a lot, validating a 2004 vs 2011 cutting edge technology at release comparison. As an example, TOR's character animations are compiled Avatar-like recorded motion capture and biomechanical haptic code which has to be transalated into a controller-based language that an end-user interaction platform can execute. BW wants their game to allow players to control as much of the entire motion captured attack movement sequence as is possible, not just watch an attack animation played over the top of movement. I'm guessing their striving for optimal balance in this may be contributing to the "proprietary" combat glitches we're seeing.

It's Lucas Valley Ranch's Jar-Jar Binks technology integrated into a multiplayer video game. SWTOR IS new in what it is accomplishing, probably more so than what WoW did when it was first released. Bioware is gradually making it work & TOR will get there.

Edited by GalacticKegger

Actually listing the amount of people in any given zone was a HUGE mistake. Just another thing for OCD type folks to obsess about.

Play the game. Are you having fun? Yes? No. Would 2321342341 more people running around not talking to you magically make you enjoy the game?

They have made it very clear from the beginning that they are expanding the population capacity of the servers all the time and thus the server loads are going to look light and standard all the time eventually.

The game is so not FAIL it is hands down the best and most successful MMO already...so stop the nonsense.

I just logged in and took an overall look on the servers... I see maybe 1 server with a high population and 30-40 servers with light/standard)

Are people leaving this game? Is it failing?

I'm kind of a fanboy when it comes to star wars and I TRULY want to love this game. So far I'm loving the awesome voiceovers and the combat system (even though many complain about it cuz of sucky pvp).

But the graphics engine is just... horrendous, the feel of the game is so bad... the world doesn't feel stable and working but glitchy and static, the audio bugs OMG I can't run my speeder for 2 mins without the hovering sound dissapearing all the time replaced by other environment sounds etc. cuz they are poorly programmed they overlap each other I think?

Is serious fixing coming to this game? Do you think it will get the overhaul that it needs?

I'm really worried that the EA budget money making machine, has saved resources on this game in places where they really shouldn't have.

I'm never going back to wow or anything like that, but seriously I'm praying for a golden overhaul for this game cuz I just don't see myself sticking around for anything other than the storylines so far.

I'm sorry if some of you people who can easily ignore all these issue are offended, call me a troll all you want. But I really hope we can get enough attention on these matters, so that one day they will take it serioulsy and throw the resources needed into the game.

No amount of talking about how good it is, can obscure the truth, that this game needs a major overhaul to compete properly.

Please at least try to hold back the trolling monster inside you if you wanna comment on this thread.

Thank you but this is my honest 10 cents and it has nothing to do with trying to bring the game down or promote other mmo's, I want this game to be all it can be and imo it has long way to go.

Based off what? ... the holiday season when everyone was off and playing every day?

I am not sure if the game is failing or prospering since Bioware does not make that information public and I do not know where else reliable information can be found.

I can tell you the game failed for -ME-. That is about all anyone can tell you.

The game failed you because you want and expected it to fail you from the begining like the rest of the wow trolls.

By your logic we should compare windows 8 to windows 32 ?

What about a brand new car ... 2012 car compared to 1913 ?

Cars aren't anything like MMOs. You don't take your car to the shop for weekly content updates and bugfixes. You don't look forward to expansions that will allow you to do new things with your car. Your car is a material object, while MMOs are a service.

That's a really, really poor analogy in all senses.

The operating system analogy is also poor, although less so. Again, an OS is not a service; it's a piece of software that you purchase and then own. It does have updates though and will get better over time, but not in the same way that MMOs do; there aren't many (or usually ANY) content patches with new features.

So, to use this analogy, we should compare the stability and functionality of Windows 8 at launch to the stability and functionality of Windows 7 at launch. It's not like Windows 7 is going to have an expansion later this year that will add new playable races and new flashpoints. ;)

MMOs, on the other hand, are continually updating. Every content patch represents a massive amount of time, from design to coding to art and sound asset creation to testing to bug fixing. You might not know or might not care, but that has no impact on the objective reality of the situation.

MMOs launch with some features, and then more are added over time. This has been true in every MMO ever launched. If you expect a new MMO to launch with the same content as an existing MMO, you're really not understanding the basic processes.

When WoW launched, let's say it had five years of development put into it already. Then it had ANOTHER seven years' work to make it into what it is today. And yet you honestly think it's reasonable to expect that a game with (let's say) the same initial five years' development will be comparable in features and content to a game with twelve years' development?

Five years is a lot shorter than seven years. In those extra seven years, Blizzard's team quite naturally was able to do a lot. If you want to compare apples to apples, then compare the features in these games at launch.

This isn't making excuses or rationalizing; it's recognizing objective reality.

Cars aren't anything like MMOs. You don't take your car to the shop for weekly content updates and bugfixes. You don't look forward to expansions that will allow you to do new things with your car. Your car is a material object, while MMOs are a service.

That's a really, really poor analogy in all senses.

The operating system analogy is also poor, although less so. Again, an OS is not a service; it's a piece of software that you purchase and then own. It does have updates though and will get better over time, but not in the same way that MMOs do; there aren't many (or usually ANY) content patches with new features.

So, to use this analogy, we should compare the stability and functionality of Windows 8 at launch to the stability and functionality of Windows 7 at launch. It's not like Windows 7 is going to have an expansion later this year that will add new playable races and new flashpoints. ;)

MMOs, on the other hand, are continually updating. Every content patch represents a massive amount of time, from design to coding to art and sound asset creation to testing to bug fixing. You might not know or might not care, but that has no impact on the objective reality of the situation.

MMOs launch with some features, and then more are added over time. This has been true in every MMO ever launched. If you expect a new MMO to launch with the same content as an existing MMO, you're really not understanding the basic processes.

When WoW launched, let's say it had five years of development put into it already. Then it had ANOTHER seven years' work to make it into what it is today. And yet you honestly think it's reasonable to expect that a game with (let's say) the same initial five years' development will be comparable in features and content to a game with twelve years' development?

Five years is a lot shorter than seven years. In those extra seven years, Blizzard's team quite naturally was able to do a lot. If you want to compare apples to apples, then compare the features in these games at launch.

This isn't making excuses or rationalizing; it's recognizing objective reality.

Ack, logic!

You posted this at 2 in the afternoon in the middle of a work week.

I'm pretty confident that the majority of this game's player base is not on winter break.

Some people have these new amazing phones that let you go on the Internet. I heard it's a secret technology.

Several things...

In the US, it's between 6am and 9am - People are going to school/work.

In the EU, it's between 2pm and 4pm - People are at school/work.

The servers have been down all morning for a patch and only recently came back up.

No, this game isn't failing, but I think you might be...

this.

@ OP. nice thread

The game hasn't failed me. So by my perspective the gaime isn't failing.

And to be completely candid the question is not a well considered one. The game is still very new. In much the same way one could ask of an infant child, Is the child failing? And the same answer applies... I very much doubt it.

Several things...

In the US, it's between 6am and 9am - People are going to school/work.

In the EU, it's between 2pm and 4pm - People are at school/work.

The servers have been down all morning for a patch and only recently came back up.

No, this game isn't failing, but I think you might be...

this has nothing to do with what the guy said. this is one of those comments from a person who walks while looking up in the air because they dont want to see whats in front of them. the post before this was dead on. servers being called full then when you log on you see no one in places where it matters. a planet with 3 people on it? someone tried to say well that was prob your faction. so im riding around the whole planet and didnt even run into the opposite faction.

I think the server numbers and populations are fudged.

I am on a high/full server and in some planets and areas there areonly a small handful of people. How can my server be full?

The servers themselves are heavily instanced. I'm on a medium/light server, and there are times the number of instances of the Imperial Fleet that are running are upwards of 30 or 40. What that means is that for every player you see while walking around the fleet, there are 30 or 40 more in other instances that you don't see. This can make the game look less congested or filled than it actually is.

I just logged in and took an overall look on the servers... I see maybe 1 server with a high population and 30-40 servers with light/standard)

Are people leaving this game? Is it failing?

I'm kind of a fanboy when it comes to star wars and I TRULY want to love this game. So far I'm loving the awesome voiceovers and the combat system (even though many complain about it cuz of sucky pvp).

But the graphics engine is just... horrendous, the feel of the game is so bad... the world doesn't feel stable and working but glitchy and static, the audio bugs OMG I can't run my speeder for 2 mins without the hovering sound dissapearing all the time replaced by other environment sounds etc. cuz they are poorly programmed they overlap each other I think?

Is serious fixing coming to this game? Do you think it will get the overhaul that it needs?

I'm really worried that the EA budget money making machine, has saved resources on this game in places where they really shouldn't have.

I'm never going back to wow or anything like that, but seriously I'm praying for a golden overhaul for this game cuz I just don't see myself sticking around for anything other than the storylines so far.

I'm sorry if some of you people who can easily ignore all these issue are offended, call me a troll all you want. But I really hope we can get enough attention on these matters, so that one day they will take it serioulsy and throw the resources needed into the game.

No amount of talking about how good it is, can obscure the truth, that this game needs a major overhaul to compete properly.

Please at least try to hold back the trolling monster inside you if you wanna comment on this thread.

Thank you but this is my honest 10 cents and it has nothing to do with trying to bring the game down or promote other mmo's, I want this game to be all it can be and imo it has long way to go.

and youre not going to get any honesty from a majority of the replies. they see only what they want to. even if you make an honest comment, not even putting down the game or bbad mouthing it youre gonna get the eyes wide shut people to tell you just how stupid you are for saying the game has seriously low populations per server. but then the server shows that its full ! and if you dont run into anyone ( on a full server..a full server) then youre not playing at peak times. ( what?) people are sleep (server is full) well youre faction pop is low, everyones playing empire.. uh ok then