Sith Inquisitor story vs. Sith Warrior (SPOILERS)

Esbia

Hmm I found the SW cliched in a good way. He was the archetypal villain. The lines were cheesy but in a vaguely ******ed way. Yes nothing was resolved at the end of it. Yes he spent 95% of his time hitting stuff until they stopped talking/moving. But I felt like a ****** doing it. The last time I felt such way about a game was Dungeon Keeper.

My major criticism of the SI's story are as follows:

- The Voice Acting and the sometimes petulant choices you're forced make. Which is weird as I'm pretty sure that the VA is the same in the IA PC's quest. And in that he sounds sneaky, suspicious and sinister.

- The dialogue options of the SI often makes him come across as a spoilt child rather than an aspiring Lord.

- Your PC is an idiot. The only reason why he wasn't slaughtered brutally was Kallig's ghost and that special power you PC has. Going into a dead Lord's chamber to get something for Thanaton rang every alarm bell possible and yet I was railroaded in. The fact that your PC is an idiot in the SI story significantly mitigates the rags to riches aspect of the story.

The story is lacking compared to the other Imperial stories but it pays off in the end. The escalating conflict between you and your nemesis is intriguing to watch, especially as the latter's plight becomes more and more hopeless. The ending of the SI's storyline was worth all the annoyances and gripes I had.

Edited by Lexandar

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As stand alone stories, I would have to give the thumb-up to the SW. The ability to turn Jaesa really gives the char a sense of command, much in the same way the lack of ability to turn Ashara diminishes the SI. Its the story of a hero (SW) who fights his way into power vs the SI who sort of backs his way into it.

However ....

These are not really stand alone stories. I have no doubt that as time goes on, the stories will be built upon with updates and expansions. This is where, IMO, the SI has the advantage. Unlike the SW who has become an official BA and is still nothing more than a tool to be used by the Dark Council/Emperor, the SI has the ability to actually pull the strings. To make things happen. To set policy. The SI is the one who will summon the SW to do their bidding, not the other way around.

To me, the SI has the most upside for future story expansions. The game release story has put the SI in a position of power while it has simply made the SW into a powerful tool to be used by the aforementioned SI. Only time will tell how it all plays out.

Edited by Malkosha

What, on a thread making a value-based comparison between the two stories, you're actually offended that someone indicated preference for one over the other? I don't know what's funnier, your lecture explaining the supposedly hidden nuances of the SW tale you assume that I missed or your belief I was disrespecting the SW story that I find rather refreshing more often than not.

There's a simplicity to the SW approach to things, anyway, that's often more comfortable than the manuevering the SI has to make so often. The SW just bulldozes forward with just an "in your face" level of force and power and that is, in fact, very fun. I enjoy playing my SW.

But if you want to make a real comparison, don't tell me it's any more compelling than being the person who fights her way through crap, with so many people telling her she's never going to make it, against those who are determined to hold her back or ruin her chance. My Warrior is tough and blunt, and I like that. But my Inquisitor is smart and ambitious, and I like that more.

I'm not offended that you showed preference for the Inquisitor. I was more upset you gloss over the SW storyline and then make the Inquisitor story sound like a masterpiece of story telling.

I haven't played through most of the Inquisitor storyline, still on Kaas for example. But from what I heard, the storyline leaves much to be desired... mostly in the way that it isn't a steady storyline but filled with random hiccups.

I'm not offended that you showed preference for the Inquisitor. I was more upset you gloss over the SW storyline and then make the Inquisitor story sound like a masterpiece of story telling.

I haven't played through most of the Inquisitor storyline, still on Kaas for example. But from what I heard, the storyline leaves much to be desired... mostly in the way that it isn't a steady storyline but filled with random hiccups.

Ah, then. What you're describing is a failure just to appreciate the "tone", so to speak, of my forum message. Still confused where you got "it was a masterpiece of story telling" from my own "it was more interesting".

Ah, then. What you're describing is a failure just to appreciate the "tone", so to speak, of my forum message. Still confused where you got "it was a masterpiece of story telling" from my own "it was more interesting".

I was more using that as a comparison to what you described with the Warrior. I wasn't saying you actually thought it was a masterpiece. Hyperbole.

I was more using that as a comparison to what you described with the Warrior. I wasn't saying you actually thought it was a masterpiece. Hyperbole.

What's really funny is neither of these stories are my favorite. That title is tied up between two other classes, in fact.

Hello all!

After reading all the posts, it's clear that there are fantastic reasons to choose either class. However, I am looking for some advice as to which of these classes may fit my profile best.

- Currently, I am playing a Commando Trooper (level 38) and I really enjoy this class and it's story. The only drawback is that at times, I miss the iconic aspects of the Star Wars universe such as using the force and swinging a lightsaber...which has led me to looking at these two classes: Sith Warrior and Inquisitor.

- I have played Jedi Knight and Consular: both to about 15-17 each and they are fine in their own right, but since I already have a main that has seen a great deal of the Republic "lands" if you will, I wanted to see the story from the Sith perspective.

From the thread so far it seems like the Warrior maneuvers through intimidation and the Inquisitor manipulates his way behind the scenes.

So, my question to you is: If the classes mirror their Republic counterparts, then the Warrior obviously uses lightsaber combat more and the Inq uses Lighting and the Force more? If so, then Warrior is how I will roll my next character, because for me - stories being equal and a matter of taste - it's really about Lightsaber combat.

Thanks - and sorry if I was long winded. :)

Inquisitor doesn't really maneuver much, and overall the Inquisitor story is much more like Smuggler's than any other Republic class. If you are after iconic Star Wars story, SW seems like the better call. He's far closer to the centre of events than SI is in their class stories.

I must say, there's something about the SI story that has me keep replaying it. >_>

In the beta I played through the class twice, and since launch I have two level 50 SI's. And I think I'd still be interested if I played the class over again.

Although I found it weird that since you're pretty much established as one of the most powerful Sith to have been born in generations, you never meet the Emperor.

Another weird thing is that since the SI's whole MO is manipulation, you never once turn a Jedi (like your "APPRENTICE" Ashara) to the Dark Side.

That brings me to my last point. The SI's entire crew just feels like a bunch of misfits. There is no common "theme" to his crew. None of them have anything really linking them to one another, except that they've been picked up by the SI. The only characters I see that have something close to a good reason to be with the SI is obviously his apprentice -Xalek- (I would have let Ashara die if I could, to be honest), and Khem Val.

Edited by AkilZodiac

I must say, there's something about the SI story that has me keep replaying it. >_>

In the beta I played through the class twice, and since launch I have two level 50 SI's. And I think I'd still be interested if I played the class over again.

Although I found it weird that since you're pretty much established as one of the most powerful Sith to have been born in generations, you never meet the Emperor.

Another weird thing is that since the SI's whole MO is manipulation, you never once turn a Jedi (like your "APPRENTICE" Ashara) to the Dark Side.

That brings me to my last point. The SI's entire crew just feels like a bunch of misfits. There is no common "theme" to his crew. None of them have anything really linking them to one another, except that they've been picked up by the SI. The only characters I see that have something close to a good reason to be with the SI is obviously his apprentice -Xalek- (I would have let Ashara die if I could, to be honest), and Khem Val.

The funny thing is the sith warrior does the SI job better I turned jedi knights, jedi masters and a padawan to the dark side its quite fun.

I dunno why, I've loved inquisitor story. Here's how I took it:

THE SITH INQUISITOR STORY SYNOPSIS, WRITTEN BY SOMEBODY WHO LOVED IT:

A slave mysteriously ascending to become Sith, I was despised by my instructor, Harkun. He hoped to prevent my ascension by reminding me of my heritage and promoting his own, favored, pureblood student. Lord Zash, a Sith lord, plotting her own ascension to the dark council, is seeking an apprentice, she has the whole pool of trainee's to choose.

However, after obtaining a holocron (rather cheaply) She takes a shining to me. Surely, with a slave, and a wimpy pureblood remaining, there has to be some ulterior motive. Sith are too prideful. This has to be a trap.

But I continue my missions, and free the Dashade. Zash, seeing through the lies, chooses me as her apprentice.

But something's still wrong. She's too friendly. Too giving. 'Here take my old lightsaber'. THe sense of an ulterior motive is overpowering.

Regardless, I went to Dromund Kaas, and over the course of the missions there, recovered Tulak Hord's Artifact, and learned that I am in fact a descendant of a powerful Sith lord named Kallig. True sith power runs in my veins. Did Zash know? Even if she didn't, does this play exactly into her hands. I'm more conflicted then ever.

But knowledge is power: when my master decree's that I should go to other worlds seeking the Artifacts, I obey.

I obtain them, and over time, Kallig's spirit appears before me, confirming my suspicions; Zash has been plotting against me. I build a cul that will serve me, and obtain Kalligs lightsaber and mask.

Then Zash demands I return to the Dark Temple.

Something must be wrong.

She insists I bring Khem Val, and upon my arrival, Her true form greets me, warning that as her body aged, she looked for a new vessel to sustain her power. And had specifically trained me for that purpose.

Knew it was too good to be true.

Zash failed and inhabited Khem, and mere moments afterwards, a Darth Thanaton confronts me.

Zash spoke of him. Powerful; more-so then Skotia, and possibly anything else I've faced. A dangerous foe. Again; He's too friendly. Somethings more then off.

He sends me into a tomb, and Kallig appears to warn me that Thanaton is hoping I die in here. Figures.

Kallig informs me of my next journey: To find and bind to my very essence powerful Force apparitions. By doing so, I will find the power to face Thanaton.

So I absorbed the ghosts, carefully binding each one, and on Taris, even swaying the ghosts Descendant to the dark side. With each Ghost, my Dark power grew, until I had gained the power to rival a senior Dark Lord.

Thanaton was not amused. He sent his apprentice, and though I managed to slay him, I learned the truth: I was meant to absorb only one ghost; Not four. The very Dark powers i had fought so hard to obtain were now Corroding me from the inside out.

Saved by my followers, I fled to Belsavis, for a machine that could heal my body; prevent it from degrading under the ghosts ferocious might. Though I found the machine, They still plagued my mind and haunted every waking thought.

I travelled to Voss, and met the Dream-walkers; entered my dreams, and defeated my Nightmares; Even fighting off each spirit in turn.

Finally, I was whole again, and with all the power again my own, I was ready to face Thanaton.

Like the Moriarty to my Holmes however, I should've known he wouldn't make it easy.

He demands a 'Kaggath' A sith tradition that pits a Sith's resources against one another; A massive game of Chess. I've no choice:

I accept.

I move tactfully, possibly one of the most powerful pieces; and decimate his allies so thoroughly he decree's that it is time for a duel.

He's too much of a coward to face me without assurance.

He sends a powerful Force Twister named Darth Kallous, and two Bodyguard droids; They fall before my power before Thanaton decides to fight me.

The Battle is fierce, and our powers colliding are enough to cause the bystanders to shield their eyes; Two wells of Darkside power, throwwing everything they've got at each other.

In the end, I am victorious.

but Thanaton is content to twist things to suit his purpose. He draws in his power and Darts away; abandoning the very Kaggath he declared.

I followed him to Korriban, Where he tried to appeal the Dark Council for aid.

They decided that I should have my second chance at killing him.

Again the sparks of our lightning bolts collided in that dark chamber, as the council members watched eagerly.

Again, I stood victorious.

But Thaanton would not accept defeat. Drawing on a whirlwind of darkside power, he blasted me with everything he had, obscuring my form in a wave of smoke and lightning.

But I am far beyond him, now. I am the Dark side incarnate, and I feel its power flowing through me as his attack begins to subside around me.

I draw the ghosts power to my fingertips, and release it, knocking Thanaton to a wall, and using that power to crush the air from his lungs.

Filled with despair, he charges me with his saber-

-and I stop it with the force alone.

I will teach him the true power of the Dark Side...

~~~

The Dark Council is impressed with my performance; They give me Thanaton's position, and name me Darth Nox; a sign of my now boundless power.

I can tell they fear me; No one has ever risen through the ranks so fast, nor obtained so much power so quickly.

Their fear blinds them, and I know that one day, I may have to fight each of them in turn.

But who can tell what the future holds?

Yeah, that really should have been the SI's department. I don't get it.

SWs story is more about the major events, SIs is pretty much a personal story. Beyond Ashara - I leave the question about her aside - the SI doesn't need to turn Jedi, because it doesn't do anything to furthen their goals and the interaction with Jedi is pretty limited. SW, for all their personal reasons, are intertwined with the main conflict much more and with the Jedi too.

Even when SI ends up in the Dark Council and SW as the lone wolf enforcer of the absent Emperor, SW is the establishment person fighting for the whole and SI are for it just for themselves, not for the Empire. They could happily go and build their own Sith realm á la Freedon Nadd, SW doesn't.

SWs story is more about the major events, SIs is pretty much a personal story. Beyond Ashara - I leave the question about her aside - the SI doesn't need to turn Jedi, because it doesn't do anything to furthen their goals and the interaction with Jedi is pretty limited. SW, for all their personal reasons, are intertwined with the main conflict much more and with the Jedi too.

Even when SI ends up in the Dark Council and SW as the lone wolf enforcer of the absent Emperor, SW is the establishment person fighting for the whole and SI are for it just for themselves, not for the Empire. They could happily go and build their own Sith realm á la Freedon Nadd, SW doesn't.

Actually, Light Sided SI's whole motivation is to further strengthen the Empire, rather than seeking personal power.

What I'm getting at is the SI class was conceived with the idea that they are cunning and manipulative, but there's only one instance of the SI manipulating people in his/her entire story.

Actually, Light Sided SI's whole motivation is to further strengthen the Empire, rather than seeking personal power.

What I'm getting at is the SI class was conceived with the idea that they are cunning and manipulative, but there's only one instance of the SI manipulating people in his/her entire story.

And Dark side SI just claims to want to further strengthen and change the empire. :D

I LOVE IT.

Dark side SI is clear his intentions are all about himself, and no one else matters.

Well. I suppose its up to the player.

My darkside Inquisitor has made decisions that give away he's only concerned for himself. But as far as many of his allies are concerned, he has only the best intentions for both the empire and the galaxy.

Evil masterminds ftw!

Well, I seem to be in the minority on this board that actually likes SI storyline...

...But maybe that's because I love playing my SI as an utterly arogant, bats*it insane B*tch who electroduces the living s*it out of everything and everyone foolish enough to get in her way (all while giggling maniacally when given the chance) and doing everyone's bidding because it gives her more oportunities to do the aformentioned electroducing, rather then a scheming, cunning, "behind the scenes" puppeter. But that's just me.:d_evil:

I played SI as my first char, the story was ok but not amazing, i really liked these plots about "unworthy slave" and "build your powerbase". Especially the final scene with my followers on Corellia was great. After defeating Thanaton I was proud to get a seat in the dark council, but for me it would have been ok without that. Maybe only a mentor within the Council, someone who doesen't want to waste my potential and will not try to kill me next week or something like that.

Then I started the SW and it was far better in my opinion. It is just the typical Sith ascending to power story you would expect. But at the same time the SW remains the cool guy, you are able to provoke, to lie, to let enemies live although your master wanted them dead and last but not least the whole turning to the dark side stuff with the jedi. Its just the story we all know from the books and films and now we are able to play it, awesome!

Though SI was nice when i played it, it feels like that story is somehow not connected to the world around it. Ghosts, relics ok, nice idea.

That was ok as long as i didn't know better, with the SW i got the feeling to be really involved in the politics of the Empire and the war with the Republic. I play my part with the normal war driving quests on the planets and the SW classparts just fit in there.

The SW feels like taking the active part, the SI is more passive, as some mentioned before with the SI there are always others to tell me what to do, all i say is OK lets do what you said, the SW has at least sometimes the opportunity or the scripted role to say I say what we do and I decide, it's my idea.

Yes, as SW i'am still someone's servant in the end but man, it's the Emperor !! The Dark Council is ruled by the Emperor, at least technically as he is absent, but he is the official head of the Empire, so as a SW I am superior to the Council and have to obey no one except the BigBoss of all Sith. You could say that my SW orders my SI around.

All together the SW just felt complete or more consistent, whereas the SI story had some weird parts which were inconsistent or not really logic in terms of stories we know already out of StarWars books, films and stuff.

But i have to admit i was a little disappointed of the SW final chapter cutscenes. Where is this "everyones throws himself to my feet to not be crushed" or the "best wishes for my ruling" from the crew... The SI had it on Corellia, but the SW? No reaction at all, that i am the final winner and now one of the official rulers of the Empire, no final meeting with the hand. Or even good luck reactions from the crew before facing Baras.

Only the call to Ilum and a letter...

SI, is a bumbling idiot, who by end of the story, really all you can do is laugh at him. Everyone knows it, stuff is literally falls into his lap & or forced into it, then they try & make you think it was your idea the whole time.

Warrior corrupts people, but S.I., cant? Great, apparently only point Ashara hangs out with is for what? Angry Sex? probably not. She probably just feels sorry for you, to be honest, can't believe you managed to stumble your way this far.

Purging Zash from Khem was anti-climatic, -twirls finger-

Andy(What I call that pirate), is boring. Honestly, I think both he & Ashara just feel guilty if they left this buffoon of a Sith all alone to be eaten by Khem(Who b.t.w.) really should have done so by now.

Talos, sorta just shows up is like, hey whats up, I like old stuff. Xalek is there, look it's that guy, ok then.

By far, worse story for Empire & potentially the worse for the game(Though I have heard Consular is pretty terrible.)

JJ

EDIT: Warrior get 10x more chances at Darkside options, then S.I., minus the 200 Darkside from Black Talon on each. By time I was 50 on my S.I., I was still 800 points shy of Dark 5. By time I was lvl 32, I was Dark 5 on my Warrior.

Edited by JJDrakken

• 1 month later...

I enjoyed the Sith Warrior storyline. I did not play it typically though. I played my Sith Warrior light side, but made a lot of grey choices. In the end my character felt kind of unique.

Most people were either, Complete Dark Side, I'm going to rule the Empire, get revenge, and reek havoc upon the galaxy.

or

Complete light side, I'm a Jedi in Sith's clothing and I'm going to change the empire for the better.

I tried to play it similar to Lord Praven from the JK storyline, perhaps a little off and it came off grey, I am an honor bound warrior and Sith, my passion is defending the Empire. I show mercy to those who could be useful and to those who do not threaten the empire. I put honor and the empire's needs before my own. I am the Emperor's Wrath, nothing more. I did not kill Baras for revenge, I killed him because it was the Emperor's will.

Essentially I tried to play him like a Sith with morals, rather than a covert Jedi as the light side Sith is. I think I was able to get that feeling off pretty well.

The only thing I want now is to kill the Jedi Knight that slayed the Emperor. My passion is vengeance for my master. I hope I get the chance sometime in the future.

But i have to admit i was a little disappointed of the SW final chapter cutscenes. Where is this "everyones throws himself to my feet to not be crushed" or the "best wishes for my ruling" from the crew... The SI had it on Corellia, but the SW? No reaction at all, that i am the final winner and now one of the official rulers of the Empire, no final meeting with the hand. Or even good luck reactions from the crew before facing Baras.

Only the call to Ilum and a letter...

Come on man. What do you prefer? Bunch of random peons throwing themselves at your feet or ENTIRE DARK COUNCIL bowing like street *****es after you tell them to either obey or you will come for them like you did for Baras?

Cause I'd sure as hell pick the second. I don't have to have a legion of followers to strike fear. Scourge didn't and yet people were pissing their pants when he was around.