Sith Inquisitor story vs. Sith Warrior (SPOILERS)

Esbia

I just don't understand LMAO why would they get someone like that to write out what would arguably be the most popular class?!?! The quality of their work shows

Thats false, there is 3 people per class that write the storylines. 1 per act. Then Drew K will read every line piece by piece and make edits if it needs it.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL LOL LOL I can't stop laughing from this! Why would Bioware get some person who didn't even finish college to write this! Did they run out of money LMAO were they on a budget this is just too funny!

I just don't understand LMAO why would they get someone like that to write out what would arguably be the most popular class?!?! The quality of their work shows

To be fair, she went back to graduate school. That's a little different. They've said that there's one main writer for most class stories with other writers chipping in here and there. I'm not aware of their officially being one writer per act.

However, I also don't know why they gave any appreciable part of that big of a story to someone with her qualifications or rather her lack thereof. The SI was supposed to be a fairly Machiavellian character according to developer interviews, which takes a bit of skill to write.

I'd honestly be stunned if Drew Karpyshyn had much to do with the SI story... he has proven he knows how to write compelling Sith characters... if my character were anything like Darth Bane I wouldn't be whining about the quality of the story compared to that of the Jedi Knight, Bounty Hunter, and Sith Warrior.

That's what I like about him. This little bit of comraddery he has with his companions. With the SW, all his companions are forced to work for him, weather they like or not. Exeptions are maybe Broonmark and Jaesa, but if you're dark side, Jaesa following you doesn't make any sense. Quinn and Pierce can't leave once they started, because it's their job now, Vette is a slave. SW doesn't feel connected to his companions, plus, they hate each other.

Wrong.

Vette chooses to stay with you (assuming you take off her collar) so can't be counted as slave. As for others, everyone is fine with everyone with only exception being Quinn who is nothing more than a boy scout or "capitain protocol" as Pierce says. So yeah, no bad blood between SW's crew if we don't count Quinn who hates everyone just because they aren't military with heads up their asses.

Not to mention he betrays you and gets away with only some choking

Other than that, maybe Vette and DS Jaesa have some issues but that's more like a catfight over me.

Edited by gibmachine

Hey! Stop bashing my consular storyline. Sure the first ten levels are bawls, but is picks up in the way a consular should. Using ancient knowledge to defeat an returned enemy is consular to a t. And it is a good series. And the rift aliance is pretty good too (so far. Though man did they have the twist knots to justify going to a place as backwards as hoth). Haven't gotten to act 3 yet.

Prior to Act 3, the Warrior is working to eliminate compromised spies. Hunting down Jaesa and Nomen Karr and then dealing a vicious blow to the Republic by eliminating the heroes of the Republic. It finally comes to light that you're the last loose end Barras needs to tie up, in this he tries to kill you multiple times.

So? That os what I said. Your master needs someone to run around for him. That is how things work for the Sith. One quest clearly indicates this "blind obedience" your character has, plus, depending on your choices, you can make it seem that he respects Baras and when he tries to kill you, you can't help but feel sorry for the warrior (so gullible of him..).

Also, it's Baras with 1 R

He isn't hunting Baras because he's butthurt...

He was ordered to do it by the emperor via his servants.

He is more butthurt than he wants to help the Hand. The Hand just provides him with all the info and he does all the work. They help out each other. There were a lot of dialogue options that went "I don't need help, I just want to kill him" etc.

Vette chooses to stay with you (assuming you take off her collar) so can't be counted as slave. As for others, everyone is fine with everyone with only exception being Quinn who is nothing more than a boy scout or "capitain protocol" as Pierce says. So yeah, no bad blood between SW's crew if we don't count Quinn who hates everyone just because they aren't military with heads up their asses.

It's not wrong. Compared to other classes, the crew is really pushed.

Vette in never freed normally. I remember taking off her collar my warrior said that "it's not freedom, though". Wth is up with that? Yes, I romaced her and I know, she grows to like you and stays with you but there is never an option to let her go properly. Or did I miss something?

It's also awkward when you accidently romance both of your companions. Vette and Jaesa start fighting, but it's the same with female character. Pierce and Quinn alredy hate each other. I would want to see them have a literal firght in my ship.

Yes, I romaced her and I know, she grows to like you and stays with you but there is never an option to let her go properly. Or did I miss something?

Pierce and Quinn alredy hate each other. I would want to see them have a literal firght in my ship.

With Vette, there was a conversation during her story quest where I asked if she wanted to leave the ship to go with her friends, and she chose to stay.

Pierce makes a sarky comment about Quinn if you tell him he was disappointing after the blackscreen with him :) Quinn however, seems to either not notice, or not care.

That's what I like about him. This little bit of comraddery he has with his companions. With the SW, all his companions are forced to work for him, weather they like or not. Exeptions are maybe Broonmark and Jaesa, but if you're dark side, Jaesa following you doesn't make any sense. Quinn and Pierce can't leave once they started, because it's their job now, Vette is a slave. SW doesn't feel connected to his companions, plus, they hate each other.

At least your companions have a reason for being with the SW, the SI companions just completely and randomly follow the SI. They all have a lack of a character besides Ashara and Khem, who are really the only 2 that contribute ANYTHING to the story.

Ashara's romance is so effin bad it makes any other romance arc in the game look amazing.

Its also about the little things, during your missions your choices are a joke, at no point did I look at a choice and laugh at my ability to manipulate, or in general feel anything for anything I did. I think one of the main Bioware guys said it best when he said the ability to gain an emotional connection to a video game is what they have always strive for, and in the SI case they have completely failed.

Except for possibly anger, all I have is anger for the SI wasting my time when I could have been playing a good class.

He is more butthurt than he wants to help the Hand. The Hand just provides him with all the info and he does all the work. They help out each other. There were a lot of dialogue options that went "I don't need help, I just want to kill him" etc.

Any character would be butthurt in this situation. What was he supposed to do? Curl up and cower at some backwater planet, hoping that Baras won't find him to finish the job? SW goes on a personal vendetta and his motives corelate with those of the Hand. Hence he's perfect candidate for Wrath.

Edited by gibmachine

Any character would be butthurt in this situation. What was he supposed to do? Curl up and cower at some backwater planet, hoping that Baras won't find him to finish the job? SW goes on a personal vendetta and his motives corelate with those of the Hand. Hence he's perfect candidate for Wrath.

Yes, that is what I said in all the posts above.

Its also about the little things, during your missions your choices are a joke, at no point did I look at a choice and laugh at my ability to manipulate, or in general feel anything for anything I did. I think one of the main Bioware guys said it best when he said the ability to gain an emotional connection to a video game is what they have always strive for, and in the SI case they have completely failed.

Except for possibly anger, all I have is anger for the SI wasting my time when I could have been playing a good class.

the difference is your character's motivation.

the sith warrior is out to gain personal power within the empire.

the inquisitor is out simply to gain personal power.

hence the differences. the warrior is going out hunting down the enemies of the empire, corrupting padawans to strengthen the empire, eliminating personal threats to your own rise within the ranks, etc.

the inquisitor is playing a game that doesn't involve trillions of lives, its just about acquiring power for yourself. if the empire rises, that's all well and good, but inconsequential so long as you personally get stronger. which is why you're out hunting for artifacts and playing the game with your master, to see who is the stronger one on one.

i do like the warrior story better, but see nothing wrong with the inquisitor arc either. i thought zash was fleshed out well enough, and viewed from the right angle, it makes perfect sense to be doing what you're doing.

Honestly overall it feels like the Sith warrior is more of an inquisitor than the inquisitor itself is.

Probably doesn't help that I find most of the inqs companions to be not interesting at all. Useful yes, interesting no.

LOL LOL LOL I can't stop laughing from this! Why would Bioware get some person who didn't even finish college to write this! Did they run out of money LMAO were they on a budget this is just too funny!

As usual in Anglo-Saxon countries, she had only a lower university degree, BA. That can carry you very far in Anglo-Saxon countries. There are university lecturers with nothing more.

In her case, she got into a MA degree program and so studies for a higher university degree.

Moving into the subject... If SWs story is the latest chronologically in Imps, then that would mean that SI is among the Dark Council in the SWs final scene.

Edited by Rouge

As usual in Anglo-Saxon countries, she had only a lower university degree, BA. That can carry you very far in Anglo-Saxon countries. There are university lecturers with nothing more.

In her case, she got into a MA degree program and so studies for a higher university degree.

Moving into the subject... If SWs story is the latest chronologically in Imps, then that would mean that SI is among the Dark Council in the SWs final scene.

The SW ending happens earlier then the SI's since Thanatons on the council. Seems like the SW's story ends the first out of the 4 empire classes.

The SW ending happens earlier then the SI's since Thanatons on the council. Seems like the SW's story ends the first out of the 4 empire classes.

Interesting. I hadn't noticed Thanaton in the videos that I've watched.

It would have been so much better if they hadn't hyped up with such things as "If you like scheming and politics and discovering the secrets of the Dark Side..." and "The Inquisitor is more of the schemer, behind the scenes". "The Sith Warrior is more if you want a direct confrontation, knocking down doors type"

It's almost like the SI and SW got their character sheets mixed up. The Sith Inquisitor barely lies, bluntly charges in to everything, doesn't have anything to do with the political climate of the Empire. When I bought off Lord Cinneratas on Quesh, I thought "Oh, finally, a political angle, I can unravel Thanaton's power base and add it to my own".... NOPE. What's the very next thing I hear about him? Thanaton killed him.

If Bioware hadn't hyped up the SI story to be something it's not, I'd have been a lot happier. The story isn't *terrible*, and gameplay-wise, it's my ideal class. But I *wanted* a story about dealing with Sith Politics in the Empire.

A good place for that to have started would be dealing with Darth Skotia. Instead of getting a device that would let me beat him down (a very warrior mentality), I should have convinced his allies to turn on him, resulting in him being poorly maintained and break down during the fight.

And as for "Discovering the secrets of the Dark Side"? Would it have been so hard for our character to LOOK at the holocrons and writings he or she was picking up before delivery?

All-in-all, where the SI story ends gives some opportunity for scheming and politics in future installments, I really feel that how we got there was honestly what I say the Warrior's story should be (no offense to them)

Inquisitors should have obtained their power by out-scheming Thanaton and usurping his power base, not beating down his door, killing everyone he threw at you, and proceeding to beat down his door again, and again, and again.

Edited by Darth_Vicente

It sounds like a lot of people have blinders on with the SW story arc. The SW arc plays out like you are a tool for someone higher....a powerful tool....that eventually turns on the master it had for the majority. Only to become the new tool for an even higher power. The arc coincides with the playstyle and dialogue choices where you are sent running from place to place with sabers blazing, kicking butt and taking names. There is no mind fames being played and the majority of "smart" dialogue the SW has almost always has you looking somewhat foolish as your opponent is wittier.

Its on the same level as the SI and different to match what you would expect. I have a SW and my wife plays SI...into act 3, and I've read the spoilers for both (she hasnt because she loves to be surprised).

TLDR...both have invoked stories which fit the class and are equally well written.

Sith Inquisitor is so much like every other BioWare story it's not even funny. You have to go collect the 3-4 plot devices (Dwarves, Elves, Humans in DA:O; Feros, Noveria, Virmire in Mass Effect; the Star Maps in Kotor...).

Act 1 - Collect items for a ritual you care nothing about while knowing you are going to be betrayed. It's so obvious I became nauseous.

Act 2 - Collect ghosts because you are such a weakling the only way you could possibly win is to cheat. Ghostbusters the video game? Also there's some guy who wants to kill you because it's standard procedure to liquidate the powerbase of a fallen Sith? So now my antagonist is some zealous bureaucrat? Compelling.

Act 3 - Collect cures for your ghost cancer because you're weak and stupid and, like a fat kid on Halloween, you ate too much goodies too fast and now you have a wicked tummy ache.

For a character class supposedly based on the great schemer Palpatine, there is no deception, no lying, no corrupting, nothing politically intriguing at all.

I should apply for a writing position at BioWare. Can't be too hard to get in all things considered.

From what I've been reading people are saying that the Sith Inq got a junior writer or something for the story class. If that's true, wth was bioware thinking, why would you put a junior writer for a main piece of the game?

It's not even about wether SI becomes the ultimate powerhouse in charge of the empire or not or wether SW is forever someones lapdog.

I jsut got my SW through Balmorra.

Even disregarding all the quests that lead you to your final class objective on Balmorra. As a SW I got to fight "elite" republic squad, undercover warhero, jedi knight investigator.

Then remembering that my SI got to kill a bunch of toxic bugs for all his efforts... yeah.

I dont care if my SW might never become number uno. Even if it makes me the strongest being in the universe I dont want to kill bugs for my final class quest. Or chase the enemies around the desert only to find they're already dead in the end.

Might be a bit harsh, but hey I'm still pissed for not being able to turn Ashara.

Interesting. To me, the SI story was far more interesting than the SW. I mean, the SW is just so...typical. There's no real twist or grab at you moment. You're just going out there and hitting stuff until it dies, for some vague "I want to be the biggest, baddest *** around, that's why" reason.

The SI, though, was born into slavery and then discovers she was never meant to be and has to somehow claw her way out of degradation and obscurity to retake her family's rightful place in a seat of true power and control, fighting against everyone who wants to keep her back, whether it's a seriously messed up master, a threatening companion who wants to eat you, and a number of fellow Sith who just plain don't want you to have more power than them. To go from being a slave to sitting on the Dark Council itself, is just plain fascinating, to me.

Maybe it's just personal preference?

Wrong.

Prior to Act 3, the Warrior is working to eliminate compromised spies. Hunting down Jaesa and Nomen Karr and then dealing a vicious blow to the Republic by eliminating the heroes of the Republic. It finally comes to light that you're the last loose end Barras needs to tie up, in this he tries to kill you multiple times.

Act 3 is both a mixture of revenge and duty. The Warrior I played was in it to eliminate Barras. I had gone a route with RP that my character had begun to respect and become loyal to Barras, mostly encouraged by Jaesa's promise to never seek to kill my character.

Then with the betrayal, it's sort of a moment of spite and all. Not to mention the fact you are now going to be hunting him for his false claims as the Voice of the Emperor.

Of -course- there are going to be personal goals in it, personal motivation, etc.

Also, the Emperor isn't killed by the Knight. The Voice of the Emperor is.

for my sith warrior, act 3 was purely about revenge, nothing else, the hand was just a tool for me to get it. my sw was so pissed off i could actually see her seething in hatred through the screen.... frankly if the option had been there

she would have ripped Quinns spine out as well

Interesting. To me, the SI story was far more interesting than the SW. I mean, the SW is just so...typical. There's no real twist or grab at you moment. You're just going out there and hitting stuff until it dies, for some vague "I want to be the biggest, baddest *** around, that's why" reason.

The SI, though, was born into slavery and then discovers she was never meant to be and has to somehow claw her way out of degradation and obscurity to retake her family's rightful place in a seat of true power and control, fighting against everyone who wants to keep her back, whether it's a seriously messed up master, a threatening companion who wants to eat you, and a number of fellow Sith who just plain don't want you to have more power than them. To go from being a slave to sitting on the Dark Council itself, is just plain fascinating, to me.

Maybe it's just personal preference?

It clearly is considering you bastardize the Warrior story and heap glory on the Inquisitor one.

The Sith Warrior story is:

Rushed to being an Acolyte, thought it was undeserving, turns out it wasn't. All of Act 1 involves the hunting down of compromised spies and the occasional confrontation between your character and a Jedi Master. Then it finally draws time to lure out the main person you're hunting: a Padawan who can sense the motives of people keenly.

The culmination of course being a final confrontation with the Jedi Master, a former Dark Jedi/Sith, and corrupting him slowly throughout the fight. As the battle ends, you persuade the Padawan into joining you and either end up with her master dead or imprisoned.

Act 2 now involves a bigger rise to power and a full reigniting of the war. You go across the galaxy killing valued members of the Republic, even Darth Vengean, and then it comes crashing down.

Act 3 shifts, you are now no longer the Apprentice of Darth Barras. You've been betrayed by your Master (not surprising) and now, quite simply, your character desires revenge. Act 3 is also a big shift as it brings in a more iconic part of Sith culture in the form of the Kaggath. Or, at least, something similar to the Kaggath. A match between the Emperor and Barras. You being the Emperor's greatest 'pawn' as you eliminate the assassins and spies of Barras.

At the end, Barras' power base is crippled. He has nothing left.

None of it was about 'being the biggest and the baddest'. In fact, it was a similar story of a rise to power similar to the Inquisitor. Except this one was more neatly put together without your Master dying in Act 1 and being replaced with some random Darth for Acts 2 and 3.

It clearly is considering you bastardize the Warrior story and heap glory on the Inquisitor one.

What, on a thread making a value-based comparison between the two stories, you're actually offended that someone indicated preference for one over the other? I don't know what's funnier, your lecture explaining the supposedly hidden nuances of the SW tale you assume that I missed or your belief I was disrespecting the SW story that I find rather refreshing more often than not.

There's a simplicity to the SW approach to things, anyway, that's often more comfortable than the manuevering the SI has to make so often. The SW just bulldozes forward with just an "in your face" level of force and power and that is, in fact, very fun. I enjoy playing my SW.

But if you want to make a real comparison, don't tell me it's any more compelling than being the person who fights her way through crap, with so many people telling her she's never going to make it, against those who are determined to hold her back or ruin her chance. My Warrior is tough and blunt, and I like that. But my Inquisitor is smart and ambitious, and I like that more.