Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Speed lvling to 50 ...why?

Renshei

There were 60s in vanilla WoW about 10-14 days after release, and they were on the WoW forums complaining about lack of content. That was early December 2004.

I think in this game the leveling is a tad too fast, but, again, as we hear in every other thread, "you need to compare with what WoW is now, and not release", and now WoW is *very* fast leveling. I think because of that new MMOs are very disinclined to have leveling curves that require 300+ hours. Aion was like that, and the moaning about it could be heard from Miami to Seoul.

Pretty much agree. Oddly, though, I didn't mind the Aion grind. I only reached 34, and it took a few weeks for sure. But it was a fun few weeks and I will forever miss the 'sin mechanics.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm probably leveling slow, but I am nearly level 24 with under a day and half /played time. I find I am out leveling the planets I am meant to be at (Just got to Nar Shadaa). I haven't done any FP's or Heroic's, besides one on Tython and two on Coruscant.

Still, I'm liking it as I'm a pretty crap player.

There was no MC at launch. In fact, Dire Maul was considered the end-game for the earliest part of WoW's life until they released BRS. UBRS was the first raid, albeit a half-raid. We didn't see MC until...maybe 6 or 7 months in? At least.

So obviously they have WoW and most other MMO's beat in terms of the amount of end-game content available on launch day. Unfortunately, its not -quality- end game content by any stretch of the imagination, with broken HM flashpoints, lootless bosses, a ridiculously expensive token system that makes absolutely no sense and Operations that require more luck than skill to defeat the 'bug boss'.

Some of this is being dealt with in the coming 1.1. In the meantime, I think I'm just going to be rolling alts.

Yeah I remember this. Lots of 60's saying "Looking for More DM" I always thought "Why the hell are they doing the Dead Mines?"

Then I found out Dead Mines was VC for Van Cleef, and DM was Dire Maul.

Oh the good old days :)

I'm not sure why there's this assumption that anybody that hits 50 quickly (or at least does it quicker than a lot of other players) skips out on the story and rushes through the game. I level quickly in mmo's because I find that enjoyable. I watched every dialogue scene in the game from 1-50 including many of the scenes in my brothers class quests.

Leveling is very easy in the game and it doesn't take that long at all for any person that plays a few hours a night. There will always be people that level faster or slower than you, it's just how it works. If you enjoy yourself more by taking your time (and possibly 100 hours to get to level 20) then that's fine because it's your time and you should enjoy yourself just as the people who level quicker do.

Pretty much agree. Oddly, though, I didn't mind the Aion grind. I only reached 34, and it took a few weeks for sure. But it was a fun few weeks and I will forever miss the 'sin mechanics.

I enjoyed Aion, too, but also stopped somewhere in the 30s. Was probably the most West-accessible Korean MMO ever made, really.

I loved the BH story and didn't rush through it by any means... But, I got to 50 in a little less than 2-3 weeks.

I didn't even play it 24/7 either. I oftentimes went 1-3 days without playing it. I'm not sure how if you started at launch you're not 50... What are you doing with all your game time??

I don't walk around the map and just pick grass for hours, I do quests.

I loved the BH story and didn't rush through it by any means... But, I got to 50 in a little less than 2-3 weeks.

I didn't even play it 24/7 either. I oftentimes went 1-3 days without playing it. I'm not sure how if you started at launch you're not 50... What are you doing with all your game time??

I don't walk around the map and just pick grass for hours, I do quests.

People play at different paces and do different things. Many people have multiple characters in the 25-40 range. Others spend a lot of time crafting and re-engineering and playing the market instead of leveling. It's a very individual thing. I agree that if you focused on one character and leveling it, you're likely 50 by now. I have a 30, a 26, a 19, and a couple of ~10s -- no 50. Not that I'm saying "50s have rushed" -- I know that's false in most cases. But it's just as false to say that you can't understand why people aren't 50. People play differently.

Seems most of the people who hit 50 quickly played through the Beta. Which makes sense. Most of them have already seen the story and know exactly how the game works.

Most of those who didn't play beta that hit 50 are rushing bypassing the story.

Most everyone else is 30's or 40's.

People with liimited playtime or altoholics are 20's.

So many are already level 50. Others are almost there and probably will be by the end of the free 30 day trial. My question is what are you going to do in the game once you hit 50? If you like alts and level those up then what?

Since there aren't any crafting items to go out and gather yourself, no achievements to work toward what will keep you interested in the game once you max your level?

This is my point exactly. why rush to 50 when the game isn't really ready for lvl 50 players. It'll be another 6 months to a year before the game has serious endgame content.

I am more of a social RP player than lvler. I don't much care about my lvl as long as I am having fun. I can lvl fast if i want ...i just don't.

Edited by Renshei

This is my point exactly. why rush to 50 when the game isn't really ready for lvl 50 players. It'll be another 6 months to a year before the game has serious endgame content.

I am more of a social RP player than lvler. I don't much care about my lvl as long as I am having fun.

Chocking, some people like other stuff than you. Weird huh?

I am more of a social RP player than lvler. I don't much care about my lvl as long as I am having fun.

While facinating...what you are suggesting is people shouldn't be allowed to play the game how they see fit.

While I'm glad you like it, implying that everyone who doesn't is "doing it wrong" is going to cost the game hundreds of thousands of subscribers. That is not conducive to anything except failure.

Many reasons, most notably.

-Beta, no point listening to the same drivel again

-Shockingly not everyone cares about story

-Shockingly again some people hate leveling up so they do it as fast as possible to get to the good part of the game, raiding and end-game PvP, albeit it being horrible in TOR.

There is no *good* part at maximun level in any newly launched MMO there wasn't in the newly launched WOW, and there isn't here. Adding endgame content is a dribbling process.

While facinating...what you are suggesting is people shouldn't be allowed to play the game how they see fit.

While I'm glad you like it, implying that everyone who doesn't is "doing it wrong" is going to cost the game hundreds of thousands of subscribers. That is not conducive to anything except failure.

Not at all I'm just saying i don't understand why people want to be lvl 50 so fast. I may be wrong but doesn't the game end at 50. What is there to do at 50. By then you've seen everything done everything right....I guess braging rights are as good a reason as any.

There was no MC at launch. In fact, Dire Maul was considered the end-game for the earliest part of WoW's life until they released BRS. UBRS was the first raid, albeit a half-raid. We didn't see MC until...maybe 6 or 7 months in? At least.

So obviously they have WoW and most other MMO's beat in terms of the amount of end-game content available on launch day. Unfortunately, its not -quality- end game content by any stretch of the imagination, with broken HM flashpoints, lootless bosses, a ridiculously expensive token system that makes absolutely no sense and Operations that require more luck than skill to defeat the 'bug boss'.

Some of this is being dealt with in the coming 1.1. In the meantime, I think I'm just going to be rolling alts.

MC and Onyxia, LBRS, UBRS were available at release. MC and Onyxia were the only two 40 man raid available. Dire Maul was not released till 02/05. Just saying.

ITT: People whine about lack of end game content when only speed levelers are max level. This isn't 2004 anymore, all devolpers only care about the majority. ALL of them, there is no more profitability (which is the only thing that matters to a major company) in catering to the non-casuals anymore. The majority is not 50 yet, probably not for another month or so, even. Anyone that expects extensive max level content at this point is being silly. I'm leveling five characters for a reason, getting all the stories out of this game while there isn't anything better to do at max level.

And anyone that spaced through any dialogue sequence without at least having read the subtitles picked the wrong game from the start. I'm sure this will never be close enough to wow for your liking.

Hence why BW should have made levelling in this game a LOT slower. You would have a lot less 50's complaining 3 weeks into the game's launch about the amount of end-game content. I wonder what MC was like 3 weeks into WoW? Oh wait, no one was there yet....

Slower? Dear god lots of the levelling is horrific enough especially at the end. Also 200 hours of class story my ***. If i'm being generous I'd say at most 10, and changing decissions doesnt even radically change stuff. They certainly dont lead to different things happening beyond the immediately superficial, the biggest 'change' is what kind of follow up message you get in the mail an hour later. Sadly the biggest deterrent to levelling again is the world stuff. Later worlds in particular are horribly designed. Like send to far distant places for one/two quests. Turn them in. Then pick up more quests that send you back to that same location.

Hoth is notourious for only giving you one quest at a time which it sends you across an entire subzone for. And voss has huge fortresses of enemies, which on the surface I like, but considering it takes you about half an hour to fight through all the packs the least they could have done is made it one quest trip not two to three trips because of the additional quests that pop up on hand ins.

Edited by silverprovidence

Think it through.

I killed the AH with crafted gear for level 30-40 made over 3 million credits.

I got all my PvP gear easily because I owned in PvP.

Got to help all the lowbies who had trouble on quests etc.

My 50 can easily crew farm schematics and materials for my alt.

On my other alt I have a dark points path and completely different set of game play style and crew skills.

I use the 50 to source gear and crafted mods to kit his team out.

It has been a blast.

I %$#$% owned it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The reason why I leveled hard out on my first toon was because I was afraid of the nerfs to Commando. So I pushed into low populated areas.

Less people, less QQ'ers and I am safe.

Edited by Chimeran

Think it through.

I killed the AH with crafted gear for level 30-40 made over 3 million credits.

I got all my PvP gear easily because I owned in PvP.

Got to help all the lowbies who had trouble on quests etc.

My 50 can easily crew farm schematics and materials for my alt.

On my other alt I have a dark points path and completely different set of game play style and crew skills.

I use the 50 to source gear and crafted mods to kit his team out.

It has been a blast.

I %$#$% owned it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The reason why I leveled hard out on my first toon was because I was afraid of the nerfs to Commando. So I pushed into low populated areas.

Less people, less QQ'ers and I am safe.

Now this I can understand. Having a lvl 50 tool is as good a reason to speed lvl as any I have heard. I have often lvled toons for this purpose.

Sadly bioware tried to do both things. They tried to have a lengthy leveling process and they tried to have story. They failed on both counts. The onyl interesting story is in the class stories, which are sadly extremely segregated and have faults on several levels thats beyond the scope of this response. It'd be nice if there was the possibility for some overlap but no, as far as he consular is concerened for example the trooper story isnt even happening.

What they should have done is make the class stories more multiplayer friendly, it'd be cool if the end of each planet for example had additional events if you had one of the other classes in. And the levelling time should have been made shorter with the levelling being just class stuff. Trim out the generic world quests and do what they were going to do originally, have the world story arc in a group questline. Same function as current heroic quests, resetting every day, but rather than a questline beginning to end just have all the quests available so people can jump in and out if they need.

To actually have a decent depth to the class stories would have been nice. But they are such a small amount of content the idea of rerolling is somewhat horrific considering the temerity of the world quests and the amount there are. If the levelling time was halved, it would satisfy people who wanted to get to endgame and give people who like to reroll a lot to do without 90% of the deluge that is the general quests.

Also, a lot of the content thats being added now is endgame stuff. Two months from now we'll still have people saying the same stuff, 'why rush?' (presume much? Sat through all the dialouge). Four months the same. Six months the same. For the people that swapped between four characters in their twenties... if you actually enjoyed the story so much to involve yourself in one character maybe you'd be at 50 to :p. Ilums a bit of a laugh. A solo/pvp planet that has a total of 6 quests :D. Its a little dissapointing really.

This game could have been really great but they ballsed it up from the ground up on the class stuff. When your finished theres nothing in terms of your class identity to do and your companions clam up and never say anything once you max affection with them.

I'm enjoying it all the same despite its many faults but its kind of sad how feeble and disconnected the class stuff is from the rest of the world. Such that any expansions are meaningless. Because characters within it are specific to class story theres no crossover, no cohesion to the overall stories. On the empire side your winning constantly crushing the republic. The Republic side your continuously winning crushing the empire. There is no engaging narrative to the return to the war, with a singular battle that resparks it which all the class stories converge on, suddenly your load in screen just says 'WAR'. For a game touted on 'story' it has done a remarkably poor show of having a cohesive engaging narrative thats shared across classes and factions.

1) Because as an IA, I loved the story and wanted to keep it going. I leveled fast so that I could get to the next part which happens to be in an area that's usually 4 levels above me.

2) Because I was on a two-week vacation and had nothing better to do, finally.

I'm glad I did. Now that I'm back to my normal schedule, I don't have as much time to play so while I'm waiting for the rest of the guild to catch up, I'm catching up on work. At the same time, I've gotten to help my other half out in testing and confirming game mechanics issues.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.