[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

They stopped charging for FF 14 when they realised it wasnt the game they made it out to be or the game the players expected.. think bioware should the same?

Would be nice, will be the only way I log back into The Blurry Republic until when this magical "Hey our game isn't garbage" 1.2 patch goes live and if I deem its fixes satisfactory.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Proof of what? High Res gameplay in Beta?

No, I was referring to him saying that Stephen Reid was putting in "intentional untruths" into their statements.

Stephen Reid said they used hi res in testing at one point, until they realized performance issues.

Actually I work in IT as well, and I dont get called a liar.

As for proof, I've provided it (actually Bioware provided it). I've quoted it below. There is nothing conspiracy-theory-esk about this. The game play graphics used to have high res and now we're being told that no, nothing was removed and those textures are only used for cinematics. Thats not true.

Agreed. I also work in IT, in many cases to fix situations with existing IT staff. If users have a 'conspiracy theory' feeling, it's because you're clearly not telling them the whole truth, or in simpler terms treating them like children. It's one of the worst (and most common) bad habits you can get in IT, holding back the truth to protect the subpar job you're doing.

Edited by nonforma

Let people test hi-rez settings during beta.

Then remove them for live?

Isn't beta what a lot of people use to base if they think they will invest in a certain game? Along with promo video's and promo screen shots and screenshots on the websites...

etc etc. : /

Hey Stephen:

If your game never had high-res textures disabled, why is it that when I right-click the launcher.exe file > properties > compatibility > checkbox > enabled Win XP SP3 mode > and click apply........ your game suddenly renders high-res textures on all distant terrain and environments 100% of the time and FPS increases, etc?

Can you please explain that to me? Why is it that on my Windows 7 machine I am able to workaround this texture issue by forcing the client into a Windows XP compatibility mode? Why did you just lie to your playerbase? Do you honestly think we're that stupid?

I'm testing this now to see if it works. If it does thats hilarious.

Well that response doesn't bode well for me. I regret buying an extra 2 months up front now, with these textures I would happily quit on the 20th, anyway I like the game, don't love it and I'm having fun for the most part, I'll continue to play during my 3 months off and on I suppose, but as for longevity, nope, no way, no how, not with these textures.

If the HI-RES textures not some fidelity workaround, aren't present I won't pay to play the game simple as that, with the respose and excuses seen today I regret the $30 I already spent.

I agree, i suported this game immensly all the way up until i didnt get the graphics i was promised in a graphics game. This will be a game killer.

Half the reason why i play swtor and not wow normally each day and enjoy it, is kira so far lol, and even her quests wont work, so thats another aspect of the game, companion quest lines i was promised i havent got :)

NOW shes going to look like mud and not talk to me? I do not see this relationship going the distance personally, a girl that doesnt care about her apearance and wont even speak to me.

I can only carry so much of the relationship myself for so long before i realize she just isnt interested :p

Yes, we already established this, and even Stephen Reid said they used the hi res textures in testing until they found that performance could be impacted severely (which could have been near the end of beta testing for all we know).

So why are they still there ? If it said anywhere that you can custom match your gear based upon your chestpiece you'd have a 3000 forum thread going on about why this isn't in game ... Same can be said about the level quality of the game.

Just imagine for a second you bought battlefield 3 because the graphic were supposed to be the best in any fps ever and you ended up playing a modded version of battlefield bad company ... Oh the uproar we would have :)

FALSE ADVERTISEMENT

Loud and clear

And the reason they just give to us are LIES. I don't buy that "believe us, we didn't wanted to give you the choice of playing hi-res textures, that was a bug"

Bug my ***

They just released the game in xmas to make big money and now they face lots of issues concerning a non-finished product.

I'm waiting ONE month. Then I'll stop paying. They already took too much from me (Game+freemonth+1monthsub -that they FORCED me to buy-)

When I got the game at xmas I installed it on parents computer just to see what it was like.

Looked rather ugly, and my father even said it's terrible. Who plays Starcraft 2 quite a bit.

Sure I thought, it's an old system

Just a phenom2 3ghz, 8gb ram an AMD/ATI 6770 graphics card.

So when I got home after the holidays I installed it on my pc expecting some improvement, you know. Like the images all over the website.

NAH! I got the same bloody poor graphics, it's blurry and barely in details.

I cancelled my sub and seeing as Star trek Online is going free to play and I've free access already I'll probably play that after my remaining time is up.

Cryptic, who are renowned for terrible MMO's mmanaged to make that game far better looking as well. Hell when it came out I got my current GPU just to play it.

I'm quite disappointed in Bioware because of this.

Not to mention the other bugs, like lockboxes not being clickable for slicing or tapping skills and the cooldowns firing , but the skills dont happen and my character just raises his arms and drops them.

Actually I work in IT as well, and I dont get called a liar.

As for proof, I've provided it (actually Bioware provided it). I've quoted it below. There is nothing conspiracy-theory-esk about this. The game play graphics used to have high res and now we're being told that no, nothing was removed and those textures are only used for cinematics. Thats not true.

I posted a quote from Stephen Reid that says they used the hi res textures in game in testing, until they realized the performance impact.

Since then, they have not been intended to be used outside of cut scenes because of the performance issue they encountered.

This is what Mr. Reid said. He does not deny that they used the hi res textures during the test for gameplay. In order to realize they caused a problem, they were at one point in use.

"During development and testing of The Old Republic, our priorities were to ensure the game looked great and performed well. In testing, we discovered that using our 'maximum resolution' textures on in-game characters during normal gameplay could cause severe performance issues, even on powerful PCs. There were a variety of possible options to help improve performance, but one that was explored and ultimately implemented used what is known as a 'texture atlas'."

I've been with this thread since the OP made it back a couple of incarnations at around one of the first pages.

Furthermore SO WHAT? Why are people attacking the people who like the game because they're angry with the company? That makes NO sense.

Also, I think you should know, what they've said makes perfect sense. You may not like it, and you may think you could do things better (which you can't) but what they've said has made sense.

then i wish I can have your mentality, because that way I would not feel so cheated and ripped off that the game i saw in previews, screenshots, etc with high res textures were deliberately taken out because they "assumed" what was best for my computer and then going on further to lie and say the medium setting was removed do to a "bug". if you happen to like companies messing around with you and your hard earned money thats your thing, I am not the type to sit and take it.

I thought the whole point of sharding was to manage the population locally to keep performance at acceptable levels?

The only reason we do not have hi rez is because they are incapable of giving it to us. The fact that hi rez was in during beta leads me to believe there is something else going on and hence the drm possibility.

Maybe under current game build and design limitations, whether drm is involved or not, they are incabable of even switching hi rez on.

I sharded.:rolleyes:

I agree with the majority of you that say this game should support higher end PCs and that improvements need to be made.

I will not agree with with those of you who say this game sucks because of these issues. This is a NEW game and there are going to be issues that need time to fix.

I am currently running a computer build with a EVGA 9500GT graphics card....with everything on low it all works fine. My friend who I play with has a XFX Radeon HD 6850 with all settings on high (minus shadow)...The differences between the 2 are small, much better frame rate being the most noticeable. There is definitely quality missing on the high end side.

Again, I think this game is great. I love the story lines and gameplay. The graphics have issues, but I am willing to stick it out for a while and see what the future patches and fixes have.

I suggest you learn the difference between a cutscene using ingame textures real time and a cinematic which is a pre-rendered movie that uses no ingame resources in its process.

Thanks.

I suggest you learn something.

How do you suppose they get the armor you are wearing? Do you really think they went and rendered every possible gear combination out there for the cut scene?

Sad seeing people talk about things they know nothing about.

Edited by darthdoll

FALSE ADVERTISEMENT

Loud and clear

And the reason they just give to us are LIES. I don't buy that "believe us, we didn't wanted to give you the choice of playing hi-res textures, that was a bug"

Bug my ***

They just released the game in xmas to make big money and now they face lots of issues concerning a non-finished product.

I'm waiting ONE month. Then I'll stop paying. They already took too much from me (Game+freemonth+1monthsub -that they FORCED me to buy-)

100% agreed and even my companion quests wont work, thats a huge part of story line, oan story line driven game.

So lets get thsi straight, I do not get my story lines, i do nto get the graphics that were advertised, and i cant even wisper or invite people from the guild page yet?

Man seriously, i think i might be done, i wish i had a reason to ekep playing, but no story, no graphics quality, half the actual aspects of the game still not working

What can i actually do now in the game? story line graphics basic interface? what am i supposed to be playing?

I posted a quote from Stephen Reid that says they used the hi res textures in game in testing, until they realized the performance impact.

Since then, they have not been intended to be used outside of cut scenes because of the performance issue they encountered.

This is what Mr. Reid said. He does not deny that they used the hi res textures during the test for gameplay. In order to realize they caused a problem, they were at one point in use.

"During development and testing of The Old Republic, our priorities were to ensure the game looked great and performed well. In testing, we discovered that using our 'maximum resolution' textures on in-game characters during normal gameplay could cause severe performance issues, even on powerful PCs. There were a variety of possible options to help improve performance, but one that was explored and ultimately implemented used what is known as a 'texture atlas'."

A lot of people are currently experiencing performance issue maybe they should disable medium graphic as well ... You know to make sure everyone has a great gaming experience....

Let people test hi-rez settings during beta.

Then remove them for live?

Isn't beta what a lot of people use to base if they think they will invest in a certain game? Along with promo video's and promo screen shots and screenshots on the websites...

etc etc. : /

Yes, they got the preorder $$$ and ran.

This is why this ENTIRE thread loses all credibility for people who like the game. None of us can take ANY OF YOU seriously because so many are just flaming everyone who dares to actually like the game. Furthermore, it looked like that in beta because there was a small amount of people (I did 3 beta sessions), now there isn't such a small amount of people in the game, so running it on the high levels would kill even a lot of high end computers for whatever reason.

Bottom line guys, if you want the people who actually like the game to consider supporting this thread (Or even if you just want to be a... good person? NO, why would we want that?), you need to treat them like human beings instead of being jerks and labeling us all "fanboys" for having different taste.

Also, I believe by quarter 1 he's referring to the first 3 months of this year (January, February, March), not the fiscal year or anything. Taking longer than 3 months for the next big patch wouldn't make any sense.

Beta was not a small number of people PER SERVER. Darth Malak was consistently full, with guess what, HIGH REZ textures.

Only during the last beta weekend were they removed, there were multiple threads in the beta forums on topic. People were ASSURED that they would be back for release. I really really which I had screen capped that post now.

Also When you say Q1, Q2, etc, you're always speaking in the fiscal sense. So Q1 2012 is March at the Earliest.

Agreed. I also work in IT, in many cases to fix situations with existing IT staff. If users have a 'conspiracy theory' feeling, it's because you're clearly not telling them the whole truth, or in simpler terms treating them like children. It's one of the worst (and most common) bad habits you can get in IT, holding back the truth to protect the subpar job you're doing.

Users that do not understand the complexities of IT products often doubt that they are being told the whole truth when an answer is given to them that does not meet their expectations. This may be because I work at a high level of IT as the Network Admin for a firm of 1k, and the issues I deal with often deal with complex code and server farms, things that are foreign to most average users. I am not referring to helpdesk issues or similar things that users can often understand on a reasonable level.

Hey Stephen:

If your game never had high-res textures disabled, why is it that when I right-click the launcher.exe file > properties > compatibility > checkbox > enabled Win XP SP3 mode > and click apply........ your game suddenly renders high-res textures on all distant terrain and environments 100% of the time and FPS increases, etc?

Can you please explain that to me? Why is it that on my Windows 7 machine I am able to workaround this texture issue by forcing the client into a Windows XP compatibility mode? Why did you just lie to your playerbase? Do you honestly think we're that stupid?

Nah doesn't work on an i7 975 running Win 7 64

Darth Blurgh