The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bioware, you're making it more and more difficult for me to defend you

Makade

I'm a fan of Star Wars, SWTOR, and Bioware. But man is Bioware making it difficult for me to defend them. Some of their decisions are mind-bogglingly (is that even a word?) bad. Anybody who has even played one MMO in depth could tell you the following:

1) You've got to have searchable forums and individual server forums. No exceptions.

2) You've got to have more UI customization. No exceptions.

3) You've got to have more graphics options than low and medium. No exceptions.

4) You've got to have a basic combat log. No exceptions.

5) You've got to have a working auction house. No exceptions.

6) You've got to have plans to encourage/maintain faction population balance. No exceptions. (I realize this one is very difficult to achieve, but I have to admit it looks like Bioware didn't even try on this one).

7) Guild bank. No exceptions.

This is a brief list for now, so feel free to add to it. I think most of us can accept some bugs, lightish raid content, and even non-working Ilum in the short term, but some of the basic short-comings are indefensible....even for a fanboi. You see, the haters are going to hate no matter what you do, but to lose the self-professed fanbois as well?

That community update on the graphics issues from Stephen Reid was just.....wow. That is all I will say about that one. Wow.

It's difficult to comprehend how drastically corners were cut for the biggest budget MMO of all time. Stunning. Bioware needs to go big or go hom here. It's time for someone at Bioware to walk the community through these issues point by point, complete with future plans to address them and rough timelines.

Edit: Adding items to the list as they are mentioned below.

Fixed that for you.;)

Also, are we to believe that BW asked you to defend them? So sorry they are making it hard for you to do something they never asked you to do in the first place.

Another note, STOP SAYING MOST OF US! The "most" of us are ingame and not here clogging the boards with trololololo

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Bioware themselves said they used WoW as the model when making SWTOR. I don't have the exact quote, but I'm sure you can dig it up. If that was what they were aiming for then it stands to reason they should adopt some of the basic functionality that WoW currently has.

You shot yourself in the foot. They used it as a model...not a replicate with a different skin. WoW used several MMOs as a model, but never exactly. Nice try though.

LOL at the faction balance. You will never find an MMO that has perfect faction balance with out limiting people where they can play. Oh you want to play on server x with your buddies who are blue, to bad no more blues are allowed to be made on that server until the red population gets more.

Good so let's not even try to do it, PVP in MMORPG's can't be perfect, so let's not even try, this MMO can't be perfect so Bioware did not even try!

I agree with the subject line, but not necessarily with the body of the original post.

Those missing features, I believe, will all be addressed. The reason I'm becoming disillusioned with SWTOR and with BioWare is the response to the high resolution textures (or lack thereof) in the game.

I'm one of those who've been called names like "fanboy" for telling people to give BioWare a chance to fix the game's problems. But then one of the game's biggest problems gets answered with "we know it's ugly but there's nothing we can do". Definitely makes it hard to keep defending them.

when it asked for a comment about why i unsubed all i could think of is them trying to read my wall of text, then do a /facepalm and not bother reading. bioware have a nice day but im not buying your coffee Edited by Hingster

You shot yourself in the foot. They used it as a model...not a replicate with a different skin. WoW used several MMOs as a model, but never exactly. Nice try though.

This poster gets the crux of the issue. Think of it like constructing a building, you can't just take an old building and move it over and build a better building around it, you have to go brick by brick, in a way that resembles your model as closely as it can after taking into consideration limitations on your resources (like development deadlines, #'s of staff and their salaries, etc.). Depending on these circumstances, you're going to prioritize the things that seem to grant the most structural integrity. Time will tell if they made the right choices, not a grocery list of mostly minor issues 3 weeks into the game's launch.

I'm a fan of Star Wars, SWTOR, and Bioware. But man is Bioware making it difficult for me to defend them. Some of their decisions are mind-bogglingly (is that even a word?) bad. Anybody who has even played one MMO in depth could tell you the following:

1) You just have to have searchable forums and individual server forums. No exceptions.

2) You just have to have more UI customization. No exceptions.

3) You just have to have more graphics options than low and medium. No exceptions.

4) You just have to have a basic combat log. No exceptions.

5) You just have to have a working auction house. No exceptions.

6) You just have to have plans to encourage/maintain faction population balance. No exceptions. (I realize this one is very difficult to achieve, but I have to admit it looks like Bioware didn't even try on this one).

This is a brief list for now, so feel free to add to it. I think most of us can accept some bugs, lightish raid content, and even non-working Ilum in the short term, but some of the basic short-comings are indefensible....even for a fanboi. You see, the haters are going to hate no matter what you do, but to lose the self-professed fanbois as well?

That community update on the graphics issues from Stephen Reid was just.....wow. That is all I will say about that one. Wow.

It's difficult to comprehend how drastically corners were cut for the biggest budget MMO of all time. Stunning. Bioware needs to go big or go hom here. It's time for someone at Bioware to walk the community through these issues point by point, complete with future plans to address them and rough timelines.

You're behind the times on most of what you mentioned. BioWare already stated they are working on a majority of it. Helps to read the blogs, stickies etc...and the forum search option is offline for a reason. The graphics are what they are and you either deal with it or don't. SR's explaination makes solid sense. The vast majority aren't complaining, they are playing.

Good so let's not even try to do it, PVP in MMORPG's can't be perfect, so let's not even try, this MMO can't be perfect so Bioware did not even try!

What game has even "tried" to do anything in the way you describe? If anything they provide players with ways to play and not EXPERIENCE the faction imbalance, I've never seen an MMO try to directly implement some kind of population-balancing mechanic. Unless you count FF11, where you were automatically assigned a server and had to go to exorbitant lengths of in-game effort just to get an item that provided a temporary window in which your friends could join your server? Please, let's not do that.

Their response to the texture issue is making it pretty damn hard for me to defend them, and I love Bioware. There is just no excuse for a developer of this caliber to push out something so low quality.

Ramp up the normal play graphics to match the cutscenes graphics, and see how many CAN play the game. You think the lands are barren now....

1) You just have to have searchable forums and individual server forums. No exceptions.

2) You just have to have more UI customization. No exceptions.

3) You just have to have more graphics options than low and medium. No exceptions.

4) You just have to have a basic combat log. No exceptions.

5) You just have to have a working auction house. No exceptions.

6) You just have to have plans to encourage/maintain faction population balance. No exceptions. (I realize this one is very difficult to achieve, but I have to admit it looks like Bioware didn't even try on this one).

I agree that the game/website could definitely use some work but It's still too early for us to be giving them grief just yet. Now if in a few months they still have yet to improve on some obvious flaws THEN you can complain about their lack of initiative. I agree though that individual server forums are pretty much a must. The others I'm not so worried about.