[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I added up just the people I talk to on vent, and myself. Theres probably 15 grand spent on new comps specifically for this game. and I only talk with about 18-20 people.

We cant be the only group who did so.

So about $800 for a new machine. Let me guess, those are all "high end" machines too.

Boggles my mind why people would buy new machines for a game until they tried running the game on their old machines.

And just to add my voice. I think it is very poor practice to remove the choice of the consumer. Let people run with high quality textures and decide for themselves if they are OK with the performance hit or not. If there are places, such as the fleet, where it is an issue for a majority of people then force medium textures in those locations.

Also, the screen shots not matching what is in game is terrible. I would consider that false advertising. I personally don't have an issue with the visuals of the game (I do like it better with AA in the public test client though). I would like to have the option to try higher resolution textures.

Hopefully you can now add a post about what is being done about the FPS issues that the 5% are having. Presumably that issue and this issue are part of the same problem. Perhaps once the FPS issue is addressed the client can have the option to display better textures (I'd suggest a patch between them so that people don't go from poor FPS with medium textures to poor FPS with high textures and think that nothing was fixed :-)

Wow. Just wow. A Game released in 2011(2012) can not display high resolution textures? The people defending Bioware right now is beyond me. I mean people, I know your liking the game and that shouldn't stop you from liking it, but don't defend practices like this. I think that this should go to IGN, Kotaku, and all the other video game outlets. A game to revert textures right before launch, and then to try to say it was a "bug" is beyond me. It is proven that the high res. textures where in the game, and now the are not.

This brings into question of whether or not I will support Bioware in the future. It seems as though EA has finally destroyed what was left, shown by Dragon Age II, and now SWTOR.

I wanted to love this game, look when i Joined, but I cant support a company and game that cant even make 2007 level graphics display properly in their game without it crashing. It is a good game, but you have to look deeper than your love of Star Wars and old Bioware. Be objective people.

Im still trying to find where it states "we use high resolution textures in our game".

You have to use your eyes. These are usually located in the front of your head.

Using your eyes, visually appraise the page.

There are two kinds of information on the page - one of these is 'writing', the representation of language in a textual medium through the use of a set of signs or symbols. The other is images - an artifact, for example a two-dimensional picture, that has a similar appearance to some subject—usually a physical object or a person.

Using your eyes, examine the images.

Thank you for the explanation. However, this whole issue falls under false advertisement or deceptive advertising. Bioware willfully used false or misleading advertising for swtor which persuaded many of us into commercial transactions that we might otherwise passed on.

I think Bioware should offer refunds to the people that bought the product because the deceptive advertising persuaded them to buy it.

There are laws here in California that protect consumers from this practice and the FTC has laws and the Lanham Act.

To establish a violation under the Lanham Act, consumers and competitors must prove the following: (1) the advertiser made false statements of fact about its product; (2) the false advertisements actually deceived or had the capacity to deceive a substantial segment of the target population; (3) the deception was material; (4) the falsely advertised product was sold in interstate commerce

I think what Bioware did qualifies as a violation of the Lanham Act.

If this is their solution they should remove all the screenshots from the media section of the site and replace them with screenshots that show what the game truly looks like. Then lets see how many copies of the game they sell.

That will only apply for the people that are going to buy the game AFTER that!

The FACT is that we already bought the game, with the Graphical Expectations as was advertised and showcased!

We have been lied to and deliberately deceived! As this decision and change was done halfway during closed beta last year, months before release! without communicating this to their playerbase! :mad:

Edited by Jeronas

I really just cannot wrap my head around the issue at hand.

You are given THE OPTION to choose whether or not you want to use the higher textures. Why in the world is this even an issue? MMO after MMO after MMO gives their players the CHOICE between lower quality graphics (or "draws" if you want to be technical, because really "draws" occur with anything remotely graphical related, it's just a matter of how well they have been coded and optimized) and higher quality graphics. AND often times several options in between. Why in gods name, is one of the largest game developers, who are backed by one of the top grossing film franchises in the world, REMOVING choices? This does not make ANY sense.

Yes, I understand the desire to reach every(?) type of rig that will be running the game, and for the game to be run acceptably. But that is why there is a "Graphics" tab under preferences; so that you can CHOOOOOSEEEEEE whether or not you would like to render the more computer intensive resources. You are treating this game as if that preference tab does not exist.

Perhaps I just have gotten used to the idea that EVERY MMO in the last...well I cannot even put together a figure here because I don't recall the last time any pc game other than a console port that didn't have the option for "high" settings(that were actually high), "ultra", "medium", "kind of medium", "somewhat medium", "ok, here's a slider, you can just set it to what you want". Because that's just it, as a customer, I have spent X amount of money on my system, and for the love of God, I want to play the game with the settings that push(or even tickle) the system I paid for.

Fact is, we are being pushed around, and treated like children. Tell us to cover our eyes, count to ten, and everything will be okay. I'm sorry, I recognize the amount of money put into this game, and the extent of who's running it. The polish on this product should be utterly disgusting.

Stop PR'ing us to death, stop running around your little corporate bush, and get all of these "bugs" fixed and out the door. ALL of this should have been put away and squashed before release. Because we all know how long we've been waiting for this game, and how many beta tests it went through. Like I said...the polish on this game SHOULD BE DISGUSTING.

Do they really expect us to believe thy planed 2 options when three are common and they even used them up until now for in game footage even OUTSIDE cinematics? :rolleyes:

What bothers me the most, is the fact that the "threshold" of texture quality they can manage is below 2003 standard. This is pathetic :/

Edited by -sasori

So about $800 for a new machine. Let me guess, those are all "high end" machines too.

Boggles my mind why people would buy new machines for a game until they tried running the game on their old machines.

And just to add my voice. I think it is very poor practice to remove the choice of the consumer. Let people run with high quality textures and decide for themselves if they are OK with the performance hit or not. If there are places, such as the fleet, where it is an issue for a majority of people then force medium textures in those locations.

Also, the screen shots not matching what is in game is terrible. I would consider that false advertising. I personally don't have an issue with the visuals of the game (I do like it better with AA in the public test client though). I would like to have the option to try higher resolution textures.

Hopefully you can now add a post about what is being done about the FPS issues that the 5% are having. Presumably that issue and this issue are part of the same problem. Perhaps once the FPS issue is addressed the client can have the option to display better textures (I'd suggest a patch between them so that people don't go from poor FPS with medium textures to poor FPS with high textures and think that nothing was fixed :-)

because our minimum requirements didn't match up to the stated requirements of the game?....................................... and I ran the beta on my 04 comp and it ran at 25 fps. I had knew I could create better and get better overall quality in THIS game if I made a new comp, so I did just that.

You have got to be kidding me right? Please show me where it was advertised at all that TOR would have "amazing hi resolution textures!"... Dont worry, Ill wait.

You're confusing issues:

video 1: gameplay shown using the greatest PC in the world at 25,000x19,000 resolution. Fine.

video 2: shows cutscenes instead of the actual content. Not fine. Requires a disclaimer about not being gameplay, then it's fine.

video 3: shows gameplay using textures not available to players. Not fine, even using a disclaimer would be dodgy.

SWTOR has ended up as video 3... and I guess for pedants it probably breaches various rules in the UK (not that I really care, just my robes a bit blurry).

As stated, I've already done this. The difference is negligible to me.

Please stop posting your replies in yellow until you provide us with some pics of what you say are very little from in-game to the holocron thing. The proof is in the pudding and no other posts are in yellow or red, or blue. I believe you are trying to make a bigger statement then you suggest and that the mipmap thing is not providing that much of an upgrade, please provide the proof.

Edited by LexonLightsaber

But like Vlacke said, a good example is AoC. That game looked great for an mmo, but it alienated people without high-end machines, and even then it was a beast to run. I'll take the performance over a wide variety of machines over the high-rez in this case. Server mergers are no fun :( Edited by Vastalee
removed rude

Can you tell this is biowares first MMO? Maybe instead of spending 90% of the budget in voice acting you should of built a engine or bought one that wasn't crap. Its runs smoother forcing 4x AA then not....Very disappointing we waited so long for this game to get quality from 2004. YES they lied....

WHAT needs done is total new review of the game, everyone ign gamespot and all reviewers need to be playing and reviewing this low res crap or...

"Buyer Beware, this video or game-play footage is for advertising purpose ONLY and doesn't represent actual in game Visuals or Quality of the game"

(High res textures are not available at this time however this is working as intended.)

This needs to be put on the box or before every video...

Then all you'd get is a wall of posts going: "zomg! my rig (enter some rig specs here) can run BF3 MAXED OUT, but I can't run SWTOR on HIGH cause it LAGS!!!!11111".

o.O

It is what is it, it has been explained by the devs. Move on.

The problem is that we are being forced to use certain graphic settings.

There should be some kind of default configuration (and/or auto detection based on your specs) and the possibility to change it, if you know what you are doing.

And of course there are people that will have problems using the "medium" setting. So just restrict everyone to "low"? Would be ideal.

Edited by GHeissi

Im really dissapointed !

Hoped since launch to see the fix in the patch notes and now this response.

Im ******* don't need such a fix after 6 months because usually playing a diffrent MMO because of bad content, and now even more less graphics then advertised ?

Gonna quit when my gametime cards running out if this will not get fixed asap!

I do not use a PC System thats just capable of displaying textures like those from Minecraft !!

To everyone that is complaining about false advertisement, i understand that it might look like bioware is throuwing sand at the players eyes, but thats game advertisement for you.

I refer you to the standard industry practise of the... Bullshot, thanks Penny Arcade, most of the PR shots that go out to the media are taken ingame at much higher resolutions than available for release clients, and most likely doctored for good measure.

Does this suck? yes it does. Is the gaming media to blame in part? hell yes... not eurogamer, not ign, not joystick, ever explains the disparity between their review shots and their PR shots, as long as they keep getting ad revenue from the bioware or EA, its all good.

Regarding SW:TOR, bioware will never take down the "doctored" media from this site. They will continue to use that same media in mags and ads, to use it on the game box. If that bothers you, unsubscribe, if not... well, welcome to pc gaming.