Jedi Guardian - Vigiliance dps guide.

SigDal

Actually I'm pretty good with focus usage I think most first time users of a hybrid build suffer with being focused starved but anyone that sticks with the build for a time gets used to it and it's not a problem but in Soresu you will have less focus there's no getting away from that, you just couldn't keep up the constant flow of DPS that a pure Shien build can output.

again, im all with you :)

Riposte isn't used enough I don't think, a few points in the talent and you can turn a 2k hit effectively into a 3k hit for the cost of 1 focus, given it's off GCD.

agreed - and with my build, riposte adds dmg red to my tanking.. so win win.. and agreed about usage of Stance. if you're vig, max dps by using your intended stance, and if you find yourself squishier than you want, try keep up your Protection buff and Unremitting buff (i keep repeating this around because i find guardians REALLY don't use this enough and simply assume unremitting only helps as an opener).

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run in a full Vigilance specced guardian, 5/31/5 and I do use master strike, albeit in the right spot. quite often i cancel the third hit so I can use other abilities which will hit just as hard as that last hit of master strike.

I don't run in soresu as I find it to severely hamper my dps/focus generating abilities and I constantly find myself doing around 270-500k damage depending on the warzone and generating anywhere from 7-14 medals.

heres even a SS of my top damage record (519K), and no its not on 50's wearing greens.

http://i.imgur.com/c6Mxs.jpg

Edited by Aienir

Hate to say it but anyone that says Master Strike is worthless in PvP as Vigilance spec is either 1 of 3 things, or all 3 even.

1.) Ignorant on how the spec is suppose to work, and MS is strongest in this particular spec.

2.) Sucks in PvP in general. (Isn't surprising either, the skill-gap required to win is atrocious.)

3.) Has never tried Vigilance, or has tried it briefly but sucked bad with it dumped the spec and went Focus or hybrid.

That's pretty much how things work around here.

With the immobilization affect from Leap there is no reason why you can't use MS clip it after the first 2 attacks that hit almost consecutively right after the other for a free easy 3k damage. No reason at all why you can't even get 3 hits off in a 1v1 situation when you have one of the best snares in the game which limits their movement by 50% - and if any of you even TRIED using the attack in PvP you'd see that the 4m range is a much larger gap than you'd like to admit.

Still. I tire of seeing the growing trends of sucky Vigilance/Vengeance players which is the mass majority of them - they fail at PvP and dump it, come to the forums cry about how bad the spec sucks and then the consensus here assumes the spec just sucks in general. Most Vigilance/Veng specs I see fail miserably at even achieving maximum DPS because, guess what? FORCE SWEP AND MASTER STRIKE SUXORS DON'T USE THEM LULZ I HURD THIS FROM SUM DOOD ON FARUMS THAT NEVER PLAY VIGI BEFORE!

I've never said this before, and never thought I would ever say it in a million years --- but L2P PEOPLE. I'm not attacking everyone in this thread - only calling out a few individuals that are obviously ignorant on Vigilance and you people know who you are.

Edited by bamsmacked

Took a few more shots last night of scoreboards in non-voidstar games last night as well if anyone really needed to seem them. Taken mostly from holding side turrets and hitting 300k damage, before my build changes and more frequent use of Master Strike I'd hit around 190k-200k in the same situations.

I hit a personal high in Huttball last night as well, I never get high numbers there as I'm our ball carrier.

Actually I'm pretty good with focus usage I think most first time users of a hybrid build suffer with being focused starved but anyone that sticks with the build for a time gets used to it and it's not a problem but in Soresu you will have less focus there's no getting away from that, you just couldn't keep up the constant flow of DPS that a pure Shien build can output.

Even if I do not agree with you on many other topics, we are in line here.

Especially people used to Shien Vigilance might experience massive focus starvation when playing a Soresu hybrid the first time. When getting used to it, however, the gameplay will be rather fluent. Using Combat Focus as often as possible helps a lot.

Riposte isn't used enough I don't think, a few points in the talent and you can turn a 2k hit effectively into a 3k hit for the cost of 1 focus, given it's off GCD.

Here too I have to agree with you. For what it's worth Riposte is a very underrated ability. In the beginning I wasn't quite a fan if it either. But then I've been forcing myself into using it as often as possible and now I can't think of playing any Soresu build without picking Lunge.

Edited by nanohana

Here too I have to agree with you. For what it's worth Riposte is a very underrated ability. In the beginning I wasn't quite a fan if it either. But then I've been forcing myself into using it as often as possible and now I can't think of playing any Soresu build without picking Lunge.

and the dmg reduction is always a plus when tanking! i was also not a fan while leveling (have no idea why) and have changed my ways since :p

Edited by greekboitjie

and the dmg reduction is always a plus when tanking! i was also not a fan while leveling (have no idea why) and have changed my ways since :p

I'm not sure if this was PvE or PvP related. Personally I'm not into PvE at all, so I cannot comment on that, for PvP however, I wouldn't take Blade Barricade. Defense rating simply is of too little use there compared to the other skills you can get.

I'm not sure if this was PvE or PvP related. Personally I'm not into PvE at all, so I cannot comment on that, for PvP however, I wouldn't take Blade Barricade. Defense rating simply is of too little use there compared to the other skills you can get.

im only casual pvp, mainly pve - so just commenting on the dam red of riposte is better than none if you're a big riposte user?

EDIT: correct me if i'm wrong, but strictly for PvP, is the 6% gain on defence from blade barricade not worth while? (excuse my ignorance in strict pvp)

Edited by greekboitjie

Even if I do not agree with you on many other topics, we are in line here.

Especially people used to Shien Vigilance might experience massive focus starvation when playing a Soresu hybrid the first time. When getting used to it, however, the gameplay will be rather fluent. Using Combat Focus as often as possible helps a lot.

Yeah I agree, I think most people that comment on being focused starved are coming from a Shien build or even a full defence build and just need time to get used to it.

It took me a while to grow to it as well actually, I'm not sure I'd use it much with out the reduced cost in hybrid though.

I do agree with you about defence (although it might be a little better with all new FotM Marauders running around) but I do often think with Blade Barricade that the more you use Riposte the more chance you have of it proct'ing again.

I think it would be a little more worth it if it lasted 10 seconds and multiple Riposte's stacked the buff, might be a little overpowered in PVE though. Would be kinda cool if it built threat.

im only casual pvp, mainly pve - so just commenting on the dam red of riposte is better than none if you're a big riposte user?

EDIT: correct me if i'm wrong, but strictly for PvP, is the 6% gain on defence from blade barricade not worth while? (excuse my ignorance in strict pvp)

Defence is kinda useless in PVP (and shield) it only works on white damage attacks, so the yellow attacks that many classes throw about are not stopped by defence, and even the white attacks it does work on ignore defence/shield if they crit.

Edited by CapuchinSeven

Defence is kinda useless in PVP (and shield) it only works on white damage attacks, so the yellow attacks that many classes throw about are not stopped by defence, and even the white attacks it does work on ignore defence/shield if they crit.

Thank you for clarification - should have thought about that one a little harder before asking a simpleton's question ;)

Thank you for clarification - should have thought about that one a little harder before asking a simpleton's question ;)

I don't think it's a simpletons question, I think it's a pretty fair question. It's widely known but is still a valid thing to ask.

In case you wondered, yes PVP tanking gear will still give you more survivability because it has more stamina. In DPS gear I sit around 16k health, maybe 17k if I swap a few things around. In tank gear I sit close to around 20k health.

I don't think it's a simpletons question, I think it's a pretty fair question. It's widely known but is still a valid thing to ask.

In case you wondered, yes PVP tanking gear will still give you more survivability because it has more stamina. In DPS gear I sit around 16k health, maybe 17k if I swap a few things around. In tank gear I sit close to around 20k health.

yeah i figured as much regarding the pvp gear - i'm not too much of a fan of dipping into dps gear UNLESS i have started hitting dim returns on the important stats :)

yeah i figured as much regarding the pvp gear - i'm not too much of a fan of dipping into dps gear UNLESS i have started hitting dim returns on the important stats :)

Personally I'll sit in almost all DPS gear in a tank spec, I'll use a few tank items for some stamina because of guard.

Personally I'll sit in almost all DPS gear in a tank spec, I'll use a few tank items for some stamina because of guard.

again, not a big pvper on my guardian so dont have the luxury of enough experience with him :) ill give it a bash at some point i guess :)

Here's the PVE Vigilance DPS spec I'm probably using after the servers come back up:

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/skills/guardian#22-8iddj282k3-2e

Seems pretty good. You can swap a point from Swelling Winds into Insight if it suits you, or do away with swelling winds altogether and find a place in the Vig tree for the last point. I however like having full swelling winds, not just for the extra AE presence but also because I use Force Sweep as part of my ST rotation basically on cooldown.

If you're accuracy capped without Accuracy the only viable places to put those points are questionable at best, (Since swelling winds is now in the Focus tree) so I wouldn't suggest doing that unless it's a PVP variant and you're going to be taking Stagger anyways. For PVE I'd just swap out accuracy rating for crit/surge or power/surge enhancements if you're over budget otherwise.

Edited by Onager

I suggest using this as your signature. You sure would get the laughs that way.

Says the know-it-all who knows everything there is not know about Vigilance, despite having never played it?

Please dude. Just stop, you look more and more foolish with each and every post.

Says the know-it-all who knows everything there is not know about Vigilance, despite having never played it?

Please dude. Just stop, you look more and more foolish with each and every post.

Not everyone can be as pro as you obviously are, 'dude'!

Not everyone can be as pro as you obviously are, 'dude'!

Really? I actually come here and offer advice on Vigilance. You come here and spread poison and say it sucks, every single time. Despite having never played the spec.

I'm being productive, you're just being a nuisance know-it-all.

You're an elitist.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I Agree with your assessment of Jedi Guardian Vigilance DPS spec not being pathetic like a lot of posts make out. I've played to level 15 so far I find the PVE damage viable. Yes Sentinel does quite a bit more but there's something more traditional having a Jedi with one sabre. To me a one Sabre Jedi is a real Knight. And besides tones of people go Sentinel. I don't do top in PVP but I get in the top third. Who cares about my rank long as I have fun?

Maybe Sentinel would score better in PVP too but people of obsess about gear and maximizing damage. Isn't about just enjoying the game? I could have picked Sentinel and done bigger DPS but I am quite happy doing a bit less and enjoying my one sabre Traditional Jedi. I also have Heavy Armor so although I'm not Tank spec I can still absorb more and I like the idea of Traveling with your Padawan it just to me seems like a Jedi path. Maybe my down time is a little bit more going with a DPS Padawan companion but its how Jedi roll.

So if anyone agrees with me One Sabre is cooler and marks a Traditional Jedi more then stop obsessing with DPS and play a Character you like the feel of. Jedi Vigilance Guardians do not suck. They are like a real Jedi Knight from George Lucas series. :>

Wow resurrecting a way dead thread. Please don't use this guide guards. It is old and no longer applicable. You want to use Mattmonkey's guide found here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=621208

As for your statements. Yes. By all means play what you want. There is no reason not too.

However. If your end goal is to min-max and that is what you derive your enjoyment from, then you will find that Sentinel outperforms guards in almost every category. You're gonna have a harder road ahead of you as a DPS guard. The mechanics of your class and the mechanics of most fights work against one another so you really need to be on top of your game if you want to contribute meaningfully to a raid. It's just a fact. I'm not talking out of my *** either, I've got both classes and raided the toughest content available with both.