Why is there a copy protection system in the graphics, and is it crippling the game?

Tiron_Raptor

Greetings-

I'm a bit of a hardware monkey as well (at work, and at home), and this game runs my system much hotter than games that tax it much harder. I seriously hope that this is all a tin foil hat conspiracy, because if not - this game is dead in the water. They will have lost customer trust.

Regards

Androvis

It would probably be publicly stated as "an optimization issue" or something, I doubt they would admit to it if it were true and they considered its disclosure a liability.

Lol, now I'm feeling like some Agent talking like this, where are your government secrets now Bioware? :D

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what your going to find out is is that the cutscenes are on your harddrive therefore making responses to the quest givers will be what is happening with sending information back and forth. What I'm saying is would you really want all the information from someone elses quest lagging down the server your currently trying to fight on?

So in short, everyone is using Bioware's servers as a remote video card? That information/rendering is then fed back to our respective computers?

Thus the hard bottleneck when people are PvPing (tons of movement/animation/combat data).

If this is true then this game is dead. It's a $200 Million dollar game that committed suicide the momment it was released.

WOW!! If SWTOR fails because of this it will be the 2nd Starwars MMO to commit suicide.

AMAZING!

it could just be the second swtor.exe process using software rendering too, which'd explain a lot also.

Good find man, keep this page Alive. I'd love go see an answer about this from the devs, but you know they will just deny and ignore it lol

Not if someone with some mad skillz does an in-depth analysis on it and finds out that it's doing it... or not, as the case may be.

I lack mad skills myself to do it with. :(

This is interesting, because I recently replaced my mobo and processor with an i7 2600k, and my mobo came with heat monitoring software. I've been monitoring it just to make sure I had my cooling set up properly, and I've seen no difference in heat levels between SWTOR and other games I play.

I consistently have around 52 C temps when running SWTOR, or any other game, and I idle in the high 30s to low 40s

Like I said a few up, there've been some reports that forcing the AA on might be what causes some people to have temp problems. Not sure why that does the PROCESSOR though...

I've heard some reports that high temps may be linked to forcing AA on: that because it's not properly implemented in-game, it isn't optimized correctly or something and pushes things way too hard.

This appears to be a deliberate design decision: reports from Public Test indicate that the current 'high' texture option has been removed, and the current 'medium' texture option renamed to 'high'.

I'm wondering, based on what I've heard about the timing, if the high res textures weren't disabled to aid the remote renderer, but that's speculation of the highest order.

If that's true then....LOL!

it could just be the second swtor.exe process using software rendering too, which'd explain a lot also.

Not if someone with some mad skillz does an in-depth analysis on it and finds out that it's doing it... or not, as the case may be.

I lack mad skills myself to do it with. :(

Like I said a few up, there've been some reports that forcing the AA on might be what causes some people to have temp problems. Not sure why that does the PROCESSOR though...

I'm forcing AA

but the two-phase

drawing with readback of the color and depth buffers can incur a

performance hit, and may require special treatment to avoid artifacts

on the border of the composition of the two images.

ya i bet this wouldnt help performance!any got an idea how to optimise our system for this to be the least demanding!

This sounds like a complete joke to me. The only reason i can see for doing it like this is because Lucas Arts demanded that all assets are copy protected and EA/Bioware was forced to comply.

Or this is some kind of weird research project they are toying around with.

This does make perfect sense. George Lucas = Crazy Pill.

I'm forcing AA

I have to admit, I'm at a loss about the temps myself...I don't have any issues, but then my CPU isn't that great... good value for the money though.

Interesting, seems like a big ol nerdspiracy, but somehow very plausable. Would be pretty stunned if that actually was the problem, but not surprised.

Honestly, I'm stunned just CONSIDERING it. I'd really like for it not to turn out to be the case but...

Edited by Tiron_Raptor

This is interesting, because I recently replaced my mobo and processor with an i7 2600k, and my mobo came with heat monitoring software. I've been monitoring it just to make sure I had my cooling set up properly, and I've seen no difference in heat levels between SWTOR and other games I play.

I consistently have around 52 C temps when running SWTOR, or any other game, and I idle in the high 30s to low 40s

I'll ignore the implication that I'm either lieing or don't know what I'm doing since I'm an IT profesional and have been a gamer for a long time.

I will however admit that my rig is a shuttle and thus runs at higher than normal temperatures normally. However 80+ degrees is a jump of about 20 from normal. SWTOR has actually caused a safety shutdown due to heat on 3 ocasions. The only other time this ever happened was with the starcraft2 'no max fps' bug, which basicly had your system going nuts trying to render a billion frames per second.

and i sure hope the software part of rendering say the nail of one finger isnt software rendered via software trough the web cause this with the autorisation key needed for all loading will require huge amount of time !i hope we re wrong,i even wonder if this process would be recon by the web if a safety say at l3 or other gateway didnt recon can you imagine the path it would need to take in order to be process!i sure hope they look into this cause it probably is somewere in there or related to its acceptance ,wouldnt be the first time a gateway of the net blocked this but not that lol! Edited by drbaltazar

I'll ignore the implication that I'm either lieing or don't know what I'm doing since I'm an IT profesional and have been a gamer for a long time.

I will however admit that my rig is a shuttle and thus runs at higher than normal temperatures normally. However 80+ degrees is a jump of about 20 from normal. SWTOR has actually caused a safety shutdown due to heat on 3 ocasions. The only other time this ever happened was with the starcraft2 'no max fps' bug, which basicly had your system going nuts trying to render a billion frames per second.

I wasn't trying to imply you are lying. Was saying it was interesting that some people would have heat issues and others not. Sorry if that was unclear.

Interesting find and thanks for the read.

I am not quitting or throwing in the towel based on this.

For me, its not worth quitting over. I am having a fine time in this game. I get an occassional stutter in the fleet zone but most of my load times are very reasonable. Since the fleet isn't a combat zone I don't really mind that my rig "stutters" once and then runs fine. It could very well be a paging issue and this isn't really a remote rendering service.

I don't know the real answer but I am confident some of this will be worked out over the next few months. Def not worth quitting over, at least for me. If its enough for you to quit, then thanks for playing. Hopefully the next game brings you more success.

Personally, I've always felt that if running at max load causes you to overheat and thermal trip, it's a sign that your cooling can't dissipate the heat the part is putting out, and needs to be augmented somehow.

Running hot is one thing, thermal tripping, assuming it's not like 90 degrees in your room or something, shouldn't EVER happen as a result of load. The only time I've ever thermal tripped a system, it was because I forgot to plug the CPU fan back in. Bloody ADHD...

Similarly with laptops and throttling, not that the manufacturers care.

and i sure hope the software part of rendering say the nail of one finger isnt software rendered via software trough the web cause this with the autorisation key needed for all loading will require huge amount of time !i hope we re wrong

Being that we are on the SWTOR forum, I'm not even sure if this post is a joke or serious. Its quite a sad state of affairs really.