Sentinel Rakata and Battlemaster Set Bonuses

Kaiserkin

For anyone who doesn't know they are:

Rakata 2 pc: Reduces the Focus cost of Dispatch by 1.

Rakata 4 pc: Reduces the cooldown of Valorous Call by 15 seconds.

Battlemaster 2 pc: Reduces the cooldown of Guarded by the Force by 15 seconds.

Battlemaster 4 pc: Increases the range of Dispatch by 5 meters.

Now while I can see the use of the battlemaster bonuses both are rather situational imo and do nothing to help you most of the time, especially if you're in melee range anyway. The Rakata 2pc is useful of course, for only 20% of the bosses HP pool, the rest of the time it is completely wasted. Valorous call is a 3 minute cd, 15 seconds of that is just so very underwhelming.

All in all I'm sort of disappointed in these set bonuses. The only one I remember from other classes is Guardian 4 pc Battlemaster which gives 5% more dmg to enemies while guarding an ally. Which for DPS Guardians is nice.

I suppose I'm in a bit of a mood today that these things affect me more than usual but all I feel is :(.

Actually, as Watchman Valorous Call has a cooldown of 2 mins 30 secs. Also, same set bonus applies to Champion gear (never bothered checking the useless Centurion gear).

Guarded by the Force up every 1 min 15 secs and a 15m range on Dispatch is far better than a single focus reduction and another 15 seconds off Valorous Call. This is especially true if you PvP a lot or you're Watchman, both build Centering pretty darn fast.

With that said, I sorta agree with OP. At the very least, a full 5/5 set should grant a third bonus.

Edited by darthtoph

Also, same set bonus applies to Champion gear (never bothered checking the useless Centurion gear).
These apply to all PvP armor sets. Same goes for the PvE armor sets. Additionally, you can mix and match--one piece of Centurion, two of Champion and one Battlemaster would net you the 4pc bonus.

Personally, I could not ask for better set bonuses than those which are on our PvP sets.

-15 seconds off of Guarded by the Force? Huge! Especially in Huttball, as it allows you to walk through hazards unharmed. It's also great to pop when an enemy has you down to 5% and your pot is off CD; might as well be a reset to full HP in some instances.

- +5m range on Dispatch? Bad? That's a joke, right? Those whom are our prime targets tend to get it in their head that running away at 10% HP is a brilliant idea. They also like to knockback or root to do it. More range on Dispatch is never a bad thing (in PvP.)

The PvE sets? Yea, just about useless.

- One less focus to use Dispatch isn't terrible, but in HM it's rarely going to do more than save you 2-3 focus per boss. This might change in Ops, which I haven't dabbled in for lack of 50s amongst my friends and who knows, maybe it'll make our rotation smoother with mobs under 20%, but it's still kinda meh.

- Enrage timers are tight enough in this game that no single encounter that I have experienced (again, might be different in Ops) is going to afford you the opportunity to VC twice.

Not to mention the battlemaster gear is actually a tossup between it and its champion pieces stat wise. I think on one piece I gain 3 or 4 points in misc stats and lose 72 crit pts. Edited by draive

Not to mention the battlemaster gear is actually a tossup between it and its champion pieces stat wise. I think on one piece I gain 3 or 4 points in misc stats and lose 72 crit pts.

Fortunately, those differences are in the mods, not the base armor. I intend to just rip out the mods from my older armor and put them in the battlemaster. This will let me keep the extra armor/str/end/exp that is in the base, but keep the stats I want as opposed to overloading on accuracy like the base battlemaster does.

Keep in mind that if you go deep Focus, you can lower the cooldown of Guarded by the Force to 45 seconds with the pvp set bonus.

That's what, an uptime of 10s out of every 45? That's pretty insane, especially if you have a decent healer on your side.

The PvP gear set effects are perfect for PvP. The PvE set effects are underwhelming. But to even imply that the PvP gear bonuses are in any way bad is just sheer ignorance. Sounds like you don't PvP much.

P.S. Centurion/Champion/Battlemaster share the set effect. You can mix'n'match.

We just discussed this with my fellow sentinel in guild. These bonuses are complete shaitz. I mean really, they could just put 2nd bonus: Your character will /wave everytime You deal some dmg.

I would actually rather my character wave than this junk that is currently on them.

Waving would at least make me laugh.

The battlemaster pvp set bonuses are extremely good. Being able to go invuln once every 45 seconds is AWESOME, and 5 more yards on dispatch is a 50% increase in range. It is extremely useful, as people tend to run away when they are low on health. We have amazing pvp set bonuses.

You guys haven't figured it out yet? Bioware doesn't give a s*^& about Sentinels. We share the same crappy pvp armor skin as Guardians (hell at least Juggs and Marauders have their own pvp armor), only class with no knockback/pull, broken skills, pve only skills. It's no secret the class is damned hard to play, but they are doing nothing to fix it either.

You would think only being to choose from 3 dps trees, we would absolutely and without a doubt melt people's faces in pvp. With 10% expertise bonus, the only faces I melt are on grays with no Cent/champ gear. If its another level 50 with any amount of pvp gear, forget it, fight of my life.

Melee class, from the JK line, and only 5% defense chance at level 50? Medium armor? Mediocre damage? Whats the point to pick this class over a Scoundrel, who does more damage, has stealth, and can decide to be a healer on a moments notice via respec.

The set bonus's seem to me they rolled a dice to pick a ability to modify, then rolled another dice to pick x amount of focus/timer to reduce.

Only reason I'm still playing this game is to play with my friends online.

TLDR version - Currently there is no freaking incentive to make a Sentinel over a Scound or Guard.

• 3 weeks later...
You guys haven't figured it out yet? Bioware doesn't give a s*^& about Sentinels. We share the same crappy pvp armor skin as Guardians (hell at least Juggs and Marauders have their own pvp armor), only class with no knockback/pull, broken skills, pve only skills. It's no secret the class is damned hard to play, but they are doing nothing to fix it either.

You would think only being to choose from 3 dps trees, we would absolutely and without a doubt melt people's faces in pvp. With 10% expertise bonus, the only faces I melt are on grays with no Cent/champ gear. If its another level 50 with any amount of pvp gear, forget it, fight of my life.

Melee class, from the JK line, and only 5% defense chance at level 50? Medium armor? Mediocre damage? Whats the point to pick this class over a Scoundrel, who does more damage, has stealth, and can decide to be a healer on a moments notice via respec.

The set bonus's seem to me they rolled a dice to pick a ability to modify, then rolled another dice to pick x amount of focus/timer to reduce.

Only reason I'm still playing this game is to play with my friends online.

TLDR version - Currently there is no freaking incentive to make a Sentinel over a Scound or Guard.

actually my guardians like top 2 hardest hitting moves cant be used in pvp.

- Enrage timers are tight enough in this game that no single encounter that I have experienced (again, might be different in Ops) is going to afford you the opportunity to VC twice.

Pop valorous call before you start the fight. There's a minute duration on your 30 centering stacks. You'll get your second VC in combat. Not saying the set bonus is useful though, but you really can keep buffs up nearly full-time as watchman.

The setbonuses are indeed very bad compared to forinstance the commando

2pc Increase the crit chance on Grav Round by 15% which is more or less their most used ability.

4pc reduce to cost on High Impact Bolt by 1 ammo so its free.

Thos a both very good pve set bonuses and the Sentinel ones would not be hard to make good. They could have done something like "increase the chanrge of Zen by 1", "Reduce to cooldown on Master Strike by x sec" or something that increases the effectiveness of the different forms.

I get that it's harder to make setbonuses for a class with 3 dps speccs, but they could have done a better job.

I hate the set bonuses.

Range increase on Dispatch isnt too useful... if I've got the target is at less than 20% health for me to use it, then they probably are in range already, otherwise I wouldnt have been able to do other 80% of the damage to them. If the target is at 20% Health and out of your range, then chances are other teammate put them there and are handling the target aptly already, and you can easily walk the 5 meters and dispatch them. The only use is picking of stragglers who somehow are at 20% health and yet somehow not already engaged by someone else. Id rather have the set bonus improve the range of an ability I can use at anytime, not exclusivly on a target that Ive already beaten and can already reach 9 times out of 10.

The Valorous Call reduction feels like a waste since,in my own experience anyway, I only use it at the beginning of fights and generally have no trouble refilling my centering naturally..especially as Watchman with its accelerated generation. Ive never been waiting to have it come back around so i can fire it off again or ever relied on it for building centering.

Guarded by the Force cooldown reduction is another one that I wish was something else... Im not sure how often people are needing to fire this off, but Im really in no hurry to cut off 50% of my health for 6 seconds of saftey. A better set bonus would be to reduce the ammount of health this clips off instead of a cooldown reduction, or even a duration increase. If you NEED to use this ability chances are you either win the fight or get killed before it comes back around. Its not something that I can imagine fireing off casually or repeatidly enough that a 15 second adjustment would ever be something I need.

So, for my part at least, while some of the abilites could be situationally useful..they are in no way end game equipment calibur boosts. Id much rather have the Jedi Guardian 8% self heal every time I leap than anything these offer.

All the Sentinel/Marauder Bonuses are ********, it is obvious that bioware didnt put any thought into them at all.

Other classes, including juggernauts get % dmg buffs or crit chances etc, and we being PURE dps get crappy generic bonuses that hardly serve any purpose at all.

Non of our bonuses make a real diffrence, or even a minimal diffrence.

As for the dispatch bonus, wether you go Focus/Watchmen or Combat, you should have other abilities which cost as much or less and does more damage then dispatch, the current dispatch simply isnt worth it outside of pvp when people try to run away.

Again situational, and crap.

Edited by Munx