Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this also related to the slight delay with inventory, mail, vendors and such. Dragging abilities into a quickslot takes a moment. Is all this info on the same type of system that combat is?

I haven't paid attention to those delays, but maybe they are related and if they are maybe there is some hope that those 'commands' could go through a different "channel" and free up combat, or maybe they are both on the same type of system but do go through different "channels" so don't effect each other, but both suffer from the same issue.

But like I said i haven't noticed or paid much attention to 'ability' delays outside of combat.

Handling issues the BW way...

1. Plant a vague "We are looking into this issue" reply on the forum and sticky it.

2. Fool the BDF into thinking the future is bright.

3. Unsticky the biggest and most well supported thread on the forums thus far.

4. Cross your fingers and pray to the gods that you have done enough to worm another months subs out of the masses to recoup some of the layout on this certain financial disaster.

Hmm, i wondered about the sticky. I just made a post there today as i had enough of the Ability Delay / Ability not firing problem that seems to plague my Sith Juggernaut on a wide range of abilities.

I suspect it is Parry/Deflect related as i have "stunlocked" myself when i hit Saber Ward (with enough enemies around) and i deflect so much stuff i cant fire off any of my abilities.

Uggh, anyways, heres hoping they fix this as i really love the game, but this issue is a gamebreaker and it gets me or my groupmates killed too often to be considered fun.

Responses in this thread amaze me sometimes, but then I thought of a real life example after watching an episode of Top Gear that may shed light to why so many state they don't have this issue.

So, lets compare SWTOR to a new automobile, say the BMW M3. During testing of the M3, the reviewer notices that the gearbox is annoyingly slow to change up and down gears. People may or not agree with this, because they have a different view of how automobiles should operate, just as gamers have different levels of experience and expectations with games.

The soccer mom, who's only ever driven a clunky SUV or minivan, wouldn't notice the problem with the transmission, and claim that everything is fine.

The weekend track racer or enthusiast would feel that the vehicle doesn't quite accelerate right, but may not be able to precisely place what they don't like about the performance.

The professional racing driver would immediately notice the terrible gearbox and would hate the current state of the automobile because of it.

Everybody get the comparison, let me know as we continue to bump the thread :D

Responses in this thread amaze me sometimes, but then I thought of a real life example after watching an episode of Top Gear that may shed light to why so many state they don't have this issue.

So, lets compare SWTOR to a new automobile, say the BMW M3. During testing of the M3, the reviewer notices that the gearbox is annoyingly slow to change up and down gears. People may or not agree with this, because they have a different view of how automobiles should operate, just as gamers have different levels of experience and expectations with games.

The soccer mom, who's only ever driven a clunky SUV or minivan, wouldn't notice the problem with the transmission, and claim that everything is fine.

The weekend track racer or enthusiast would feel that the vehicle doesn't quite accelerate right, but may not be able to precisely place what they don't like about the performance.

The professional racing driver would immediately notice the terrible gearbox and would hate the current state of the automobile because of it.

This, I have been making analogies like this for the past 700 or so pages but rest assured that in the next 200 pages there will be several who say:

1) What delay?!

2) It's a feature, l2p noob

3) Go back to WoW!

4) Bioware said they're looking into It, stop posting about It!

5) Addons ruin the game, I'm against them! <-- ?!

6) 0.0 fixes it! <-- The worst!!

The thing is, it's not just delay, it's responsiveness overall. I was just questing in Belsavis and I had multiple occurrences of hitting an ability when I was not incapacitated in anyway, and the ability would not go off but the global cooldown would kick in. The ability itself would not be on cooldown after though so I know it did not go off. I literally would press a keybind or click the ability 3 to 5 times and the same thing would happen over and over again. I double checked my latency and it was between 30-40MS.

It seems to me there are definitely some server to client communication issues, and if it has to do with network latency the in-game meter is not reflecting the change.

This, I have been making analogies like this for the past 700 or so pages but rest assured that in the next 200 pages there will be several who say:

1) What delay?!

2) It's a feature, l2p noob

3) Go back to WoW!

4) Bioware said they're looking into It, stop posting about It!

5) Addons ruin the game, I'm against them! <-- ?!

6) 0.0 fixes it! <-- The worst!!

Grandma won't notice the delay.

Serious gamers will.

Been saying that since beta.

manual gearbox ftw, it does what you want when you want it and gives you so much more control , something that SWTOR lacks

I can't believe it, I actually woke up this morning wanting to post this exact same analogy.

This problem is huge (for me anyway).

Along the same lines as the ability delay is the slow sluggish feeling of the camera itself (like a big unresponsive SUV, that actually turns the car about .5 to 1 second after you actually turn the steering wheel) The camera effects the feeling of being mounted as well. Its like this big sluggish feeling when riding them, terrible.

This is what Bioware is saying to me, simply by not adding a "remove mouse smoothing option"....Here's what they are saying to me as a paying customer:

"Hey, thanks for buying and continuing to subscribe. Thanks for mentioning your concerns, and we're aware that almost every pc game in the last century has had a very responsive camera, and always an option to remove mouse smoothing. But sorry, but we don't want you to play our game, we don't want you to play because we like mouse smoothing, because it sounds cool, and sounds like another polished feature, even though it's a polished piece of ____. We know you're frustrated by it, but we really don't want you driving a ferrari, we want a slow sluggish unresponsive feel not ONLY from your abilities, but from the Camera as well, HECK, we want you to feel slow and sluggish EVEN WHEN ORBITING YOUR CHARACTER ON THE CHARACTER SELECTIONS SCREEN. So f-off, we don't want you playing our game, because as easy as it is to add an option to remove mouse smoothing, we don't want to do it, because we hate you, and we want you to feel sluggish and unresponsive throughout your SWTOR experience."

lol, but really I almost feel like this, why of F'n why would they not add an option to remove mouse smoothing???

OH, AND lol, that camera slow IN/OUT? It takes like 10 - 15 seconds for your camera to reach full distance once it's been zoomed in.... DO YOU KNOW HOW f'n annoying this is?

Really, for these two things, the only reason I can see, is some higher up in the company said "Hey lets smooth and slug everything, camera movement, even the camera in and out." and no one will disagree with him because they're fearing for there jobs, and 10000's of people are now feeling sluggy throughout the game because of one idiot. Maybe, maybe not...

JUST..

FIX...

IT.

Let me remove mouse smoothing and corrective slow paced camera self-adjustment.

FTLOG.

I am playing a sentinel and and when hitting a silver (and up) mob my skills fail about 25% of the time, is anyone else experiencing this. The longer the animation, the smaller the chance it works.

It would complete the animation but dont deal any damage and no cool down time. This is frustrating because it gets me killed at times.

Anyone else have this problem?

I am playing a sentinel and and when hitting a silver (and up) mob my skills fail about 25% of the time, is anyone else experiencing this. The longer the animation, the smaller the chance it works.

It would complete the animation but dont deal any damage and no cool down time. This is frustrating because it gets me killed at times.

Anyone else have this problem?

you godt the chance on miss in a mmo

And yes i have times to when i cant hit the mobs i do the animation and it wont go off.

Hi All,

Just curious if anyone knows whether the below issues I'm having is related to this Ability Delay problem?

Basically, since the game launched, i have been having the below issues, all of which are of similar nature.

1) Whenever i hit 'Smash' my character will do a 'half hop' before restarting and performing the move in full.

2) Whenever i hit 'Force Scream', my character will 'inhale' twice before releasing the scream

3) Same thing for 'Retaliation', my character spins the lightsaber twice before completing the animation.

4) As well for 'Vicious Slash', by unwinding back twice before completing the swing.

It is occuring 100% of the time for 'Smash' and 'Force Scream', but only occasionally for 'Retaliation' and 'Vicious Slash'.

Just curious if I am that only one have these issues, and if not, has anyone figured out a way to fix it? Customer service, so far has not yielded any results.

Handling issues the BW way...

1. Plant a vague "We are looking into this issue" reply on the forum and sticky it.

2. Fool the BDF into thinking the future is bright.

3. Unsticky the biggest and most well supported thread on the forums thus far.

4. Cross your fingers and pray to the gods that you have done enough to worm another months subs out of the masses to recoup some of the layout on this certain financial disaster.

Are you serious? The Bioware war? Care to elaborate on how they got to be this way and with what other games?

As annoying as the delay can be, it's not going to break this game.

Are you serious? The Bioware war? Care to elaborate on how they got to be this way and with what other games?

As annoying as the delay can be, it's not going to break this game.

It will for hardcore gamers, especially PvPers who want to perform with perfect timing in tight situations.