Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

This thread is unstickied because at the moment it appears that this ability delay is not going to get fixed any time soon. Go back to whatever you have been playing before, because operations will be **** with this ability delay. And with no combat log to evaluate our performance , this game just feels like its a broken toy for a not too sharp kid, as I said in another thread. Edited by Greywinter

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope this issue gets solved.

I know it is stressed that the core of the problem does not lie in fps or latency, however the problem is amplified heavily when running on low end rigs, or with poor connection.

I think this is also linked to players saying their fps is worse than it actaully is, because ability delay makes you feel like your bad fps is even more unplayable.

I can relate because im currently using probably the worst setup you could imagine and still be able to play (two levels 30s lol). Fortunately im upgrading which i was kind of waiting to do, but the ability delay is so amplified if your machine isnt top notch.

PLEASE FIX BIOWARE KTHXBAI

GameSpy: Have you made progress in tracking down a way to fix that annoying PvP combat lag issue?

James Ohlen: Oh, yeah. The thing is, it's not a single thing. It's a whole bunch of different things that come together to create the feeling of lag. In some ways that's good news -- it means it's not actually lag -- but in other ways it's bad news. It means we have to touch a whole bunch of different systems to improve it. It's something that we have a lot of different solutions for. A lot of those solutions are coming in Game Update 1 next week. We have some more in the weekly patch that will come out a week after that. That's another thing, our weekly patches, where we're doing bug fixes -- when I say "bug fixes," I don't just mean bugs, I also mean what we like to call "quality of life improvements." Things that are annoying players, we'll make tweaks to them or changes. For example, our auction house, the Galactic Trade Network. People have some issues with some of the features involved there. Because of that, we're making small changes to improve it, they won't be in the major game updates, but instead they'll be in the weekly bug-fix updates.

GameSpy: Thanks for your time!

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/bioware-mmo-project/1216434p1.html

Edited by xXcronicXx

GameSpy: Have you made progress in tracking down a way to fix that annoying PvP combat lag issue?

James Ohlen: Oh, yeah. The thing is, it's not a single thing. It's a whole bunch of different things that come together to create the feeling of lag. In some ways that's good news -- it means it's not actually lag -- but in other ways it's bad news. It means we have to touch a whole bunch of different systems to improve it. It's something that we have a lot of different solutions for. A lot of those solutions are coming in Game Update 1 next week. We have some more in the weekly patch that will come out a week after that. That's another thing, our weekly patches, where we're doing bug fixes -- when I say "bug fixes," I don't just mean bugs, I also mean what we like to call "quality of life improvements." Things that are annoying players, we'll make tweaks to them or changes. For example, our auction house, the Galactic Trade Network. People have some issues with some of the features involved there. Because of that, we're making small changes to improve it, they won't be in the major game updates, but instead they'll be in the weekly bug-fix updates.

Somehow I doubt any of that is true. No one in the PTR is talking about fixes, and let's face it, the ship is already sinking. Drones are just denying the existance of the hole.

They usually unsticky something when they have something to announce or a fix. So that's probably a good thing. Somehow I doubt they're "denying" it when they're talking to major gaming publications about the problem.

Oh, and it has been improved a fair bit as of the last update, along with a few other issues that sailed under the radar. It is a little harder to pull of the dismount bug now. I reckon the window's gone down by a good 50-60%. Not much harder, but you really have to time it now.

Edited by Bakarn

Yea I read something similar on IGN.com........ talk about being vague, sheesh!!

In other words, it means its not happening in foreseeable future.

I knew it from the start.

one thing i hope they fix is the updated health bars when you lose or gain health i swear it bother me alot as if im back to the old crappy rogue energy bar before wotlk also it has a delay in it which makes it worse you can have 500hp left and your guy stand still and a few seconds later die.

EDIT

^^that is a video of the old rogue energy bar back in TBC see how it updates as if it is lagging and not smooth (the yellow bar at the top right)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNAJETqji28

^^ here is a video of the updated energy bar (yellow bar at the bottom)

for some odd reason swtor health bars act like the old rogue bar and seem delayed like hell.

Edited by genmyke

Part of the problem with the "resetting" when you try to use an ability is being spam happy.

You don't have the problem with say a Sorc but with an Assassin you do. If I resist the urge to mash a button over and over it doesn't happen, but the urge is hard to resist.

Yea I read something similar on IGN.com........ talk about being vague, sheesh!!

In other words, it means its not happening in foreseeable future.

I knew it from the start.

During the development of Star Wars: The Old Republic, we’ve been paying a lot of attention to the game’s responsiveness. As pointed out by some people on the Forum, a very responsive experience is one of the factors that separate the best MMOs from the others. This is something we are fully aware of and take extremely seriously.

Several of the issues brought forth by the community have already been dealt with and you should see the fixes integrated in coming patches, including those coming this month. Every lead mentioned on the forum is being investigated and I cannot stress enough how useful your feedback is – especially when coupled with the level of details found in some of the posts.

So I’d really like to thank the community for this very constructive feedback.

Thanks again and best regards,

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1269596#edit1269596

Edited by xXcronicXx

i will repeat but

Resposiveness & gameplay are 2 most imporant factors imo.

If they don't fix responsiveness and performance issues, SWTOR will sink.

Now we can see how hard it is for game to be responsive and that it is not easy to make it so.

Good that GW2 was coded by Lead Coder of WoW who was one of 3 guys to make ArenaNet...

BW, fix this rather quickly. Responsiveness is at Warhammer level - mediocre/bad and terrible for competitive play.

one thing i hope they fix is the updated health bars when you lose or gain health i swear it bother me alot as if im back to the old crappy rogue energy bar before wotlk also it has a delay in it which makes it worse you can have 500hp left and your guy stand still and a few seconds later die.

EDIT

^^that is a video of the old rogue energy bar back in TBC see how it updates as if it is lagging and not smooth (the yellow bar at the top right)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNAJETqji28

^^ here is a video of the updated energy bar (yellow bar at the bottom)

for some odd reason swtor health bars act like the old rogue bar and seem delayed like hell.

Um sorry, It was NOT LAGGING. A rogue Energy worked different back then. It was restored in periods. I don't remember now the exact numbers but i think it was 10 energy every 1 second or 20 energy every 2 seconds. That's why rogues used an addon to show them when the next "energy gain" would occur.

Later on, Blizzard changed it to more continuous gain instead of small bursts but that IN NO WAY WAS LAG.

Edited by Mazari

Um sorry, It was NOT LAGGING. Rogue Energy worked different then. It was restored in periods. I don't remember now exact numbers but i think it was 10 energy every 1 second or 20 energy every 20 seconds. That;s why rogues used addon to show them when next "energy gain" will occur.

Later on Blizzard changed it to moe continuous gain instead of small bursts but tat IN NO WAY WAS LAG.

i didnt say it was lagging i said "as if" it was but no no one cant deny that new energy bar is much better than the old one.

Edited by genmyke

i didnt say it was lagging i said "as if" it was but no no one cant deny that new energy bar is much better than the old one.

hah you have quoted me before edit :)

Anyways i hope Assassin/Shadow also get same treatment in tor. Instead of 8 force every 1 sec i would like to see 1 force every 0,125 sec.

Still that energy regen had nothing to do with the responsiveness because skills went out instantly regardless of the resource.

Edited by Mazari

This delay, combined with lag, combined with level fifties, combined with Sorcerers/Operatives make PVP like some kind of horrible stress test for my Jedi Sentinel. PVP is actually painful, and joyless.

and that's after being shoved into Ops, that don't bother with strategy.

I honestly wouldn't care, if PVP vanished tomorrow, and never came back. But this game is killing any desire I have, to participate. Some of the best gear I can get right now is from PVP. Let alone a saber crystal that isn't blue,green,red,yellow.

I have come to deal with it in PVE as it is not as detrimental, but Sentinel ability lag is constant and frustrating. Even worse, it makes my character look stupid too.

i will repeat but

Resposiveness & gameplay are 2 most imporant factors imo.

If they don't fix responsiveness and performance issues, SWTOR will sink.

Now we can see how hard it is for game to be responsive and that it is not easy to make it so.

Good that GW2 was coded by Lead Coder of WoW who was one of 3 guys to make ArenaNet...

BW, fix this rather quickly. Responsiveness is at Warhammer level - mediocre/bad and terrible for competitive play.

Well that Reid fellow blamed our computers for the problem, apparently we aren't supposed to play the game without a high end rig, and the game isn't meant for us.

his 95% remark was laughable. as if 95% of players have high end expensive computers.

If they only want high end rig's playing the game, they must not want many subs.

how this falls to the 3rd page so quickly is troubling. this should be the one and only topic being discussed right now.

Yeah i cannot believe anyone complains about anything besides this. There is nothing else wrong with the game that will force me to quit besides this.