The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

BioWare: "most" people aren't having SWTOR performance issues

Raggnarok

Many people have already said that they see no performance change when they go from high to low settings.

Im one of those people. When my framerate doesnt get worse or better no matter what game options i set things to, that tells me its NOT my machine.

Yeah that indicates some sort of weird result from a certain combination of unknown factors that exist in your machines. Since my FPS are fine I don't really notice a difference by lowering the settings but if I'm running my FPS meter it sure sees a difference.

For those people that are having issues would you tell me what driver (version too) and graphics card you're running?

Edited by Tool_of_Society

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. My grandfather smoked two packs of cigarettes a day for 50 years and never had so much as a bad cough. So I'm positive that all this stuff about smoking cigarettes causing lung cancer and emphysema is just made up, since it never happened to him.

(I know there's a 99% chance this will go right over your head, but I couldn't help myself.)

What? How is that a good comparison? Cigarettes and cancer vs Graphics and SWTOR?

Read the full article here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-10-bioware-most-people-arent-having-swtor-performance-issues

Perfectly shows how detached BioWare is from its community and confirms my decision not to continue playing this technological POS.

I havent had a single performance issue, from beta to now, so bioware is telling the truth

Yeah that indicates some sort of weird result from a certain combination of unknown factors that exist in your machines. Since my FPS are fine I don't really notice a difference by lowering the settings but if I'm running my FPS meter it sure sees a difference.

Again, I can play Skyrim BF3 Witcher 2 on mid-high perfectly fine. And what you posted makes no sense.

Believe me when I said I tried everything, I TRIED EVERYTHING. I dont have the best parts, but they should be more than capable of playing this game on high easily. This is the only game it has ever happened to me.

XFX Raedon 6870

AMD Athlon II x3 445 processor 3.10Ghz

4gb of ram.

You run on low settings, I hope? That is not good enough for the high (med) settings. 4 gb of RAM is bare minimum (C- or D+). The HD 6870 should be fine -- a solid "B" rating. Athlon II is on the medium-low end (C+).

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

You gotta be kiddin me right? -.- You want your GPU / CPU to work. Not being in idle when playing. If i'm using 25-30% GPU / CPU and getting what? Like 20-30 fps. And then when the game starts to use +90% GPU / CPU, it all goes up to +60 fps (locked at 60).

And no, my clocks are fine. I have already tried. And it's the same.

The clocks are fine and stable, checks them for 48h+.

And playing MMO like this, WoW, Aion etc. at 30 fps. That's not ok. You feel a big different

if you have 30 or 60 fps. 60 is the one you want to aim for. Same as your refresh rate.

I have played WoW since the Beta, in a hardcore guild. And anyting under 50 is not fun in either PvP or PvE content. Anything over 60 tho is pointless, might just cause some screen tearing. Even Blizzard them self has gone out and said that it should be 60, or it cant be fun playing. That's what they are aiming for on the system req.

Personally I think you're pooching your video card OC’ing it and overheating it may be an issue, but I would start to read about the low FPS issues others have reported with their HD5870 cards in other games and see if there is a solution …. FYI …Your card benchmarked at under 40 FPS in Crysis Warhead, wanting to see a sustained 60 FPS in SWTOR may be a bit much.

Here are some links to help you get started.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/300943-33-frame-rates-radeon-5870

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3754645631?page=1

http://hardocp.com/article/2009/09/22/amds_ati_radeon_hd_5870_video_card_review/9

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=111190

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3123367394

http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/showthread.php/25479-Framerate-issue-AMD-CPU-AMD-GPU

http://www.wowblues.com/eu/low-fps-with-xfx-radeon-hd-5870-13200309725.html

Wow...the more I look around the more I see people complaining about low FPS problems with there Ati Radeon HD5870's .... I would perhaps start there.

Edited by LogunOne

Again, I can play Skyrim BF3 Witcher 2 on mid-high perfectly fine. And what you posted makes no sense.

Anecdotal statements like "but I can run this!" are useless.

Post your system specs and answer the questions I listed on the previous page. That's a starting point to figuring out what your problem is.

There's zero chance of this getting fixed, regardless of the thread's tone. Read the Bioware posts. They don't see this as a serious problem. They think it's only a small number of people effected, so they're not going to do anything besides supply a canned PR answer.

It doesn't even matter at this point if they're right about the number of people having problems. They've made a choice to ignore the whole issue. At this point people are just posting in this thread to vent their frustration, because that's the only thing it can be used for.

Pretty much the sort of response I expected. Guess it's easier to rant about the problem than provide evidence.

Personally I don't assume that it's never going to be fixed. If it is only affecting 5% of users, then it'll probably be prioritised lower than any problems that may be affecting 10% of users, but that doesn't mean never. How is it possibly in Biowares best interest to never fix the problem?

Maybe it's just because I don't automatically assume that lack of response means denial.

You run on low settings, I hope? That is not good enough for the high (med) settings. 4 gb of RAM is bare minimum (C- or D+). The HD 6870 should be fine -- a solid "B" rating. Athlon II is on the medium-low end (C+).

I get the same fps on fully low or fully maxxed. And i assure you it isnt sucky computer parts. 4gb is more than enough. And again if i can almost max bf3 this game should be cake

I have the same issues the people complaining have.

In areas of low graphical stress my 6970 (AND GTX 470 I had) GPU is running at 98% and I have 100+ FPS

In areas of high graphical stress my 6970 (AND GTX 470) GPU slows down to 0% most of the time and offloads everything to the CPU a AMD 1090 Black Edition.

Any other game and these issues dont exist. But obviously its a localization issue and/or my low end gaming rig. :rolleyes:

Edited by ValaxDarkseer

Who said anything about SWTOR? I'm talking about smoking.

(Like I said, right over your head.)

You can't make that assumption without knowing what that poster's graphics card is. You're just as bad, in my opinion. What if he has GeForce 64 mb MX/MX?

I wouldnt of said 5%. However saying its low end pc's is bs and everyone knows there is a problem. Over 2k post about problems, or say 5k people having issues and saying so on forums, when there is over 1 million people playing i mean yes the fps it always has. It sucks paying alot of money for high end systems and the it lags cause of the terrible optimization.

I also believe that there is alot of people just doing the tickets and not actually coming to the forums and posting about it. I mean 50,000 people out of 1 million having issues i see why they would say its our machines. THE FACT is to much money went into voice acting and not enough into the design, graphics optimizing it for high end machines. I mean 2012 NO AA? ya they said add it later. They said it would be there at launch ever time a beta person asked... guess what its not. Problems.....sounds like it to me. Ultra textures no we dont even get high we get medium.

ATLEAST WE GOT EMOTES THAT WAS SO IMPORTANT!!!!:eek:

You can tell this is biowares first MMO for 2012 this game has issues of something from 2004...

I corrected a major problem, ingame, for me by turning off shadows. Stuttering, lag and grapics issues all fixed.

Loading Screens? While my Comp was high end 2 years ago, not high end now.

That said, my comp can play every single game in the entire mmo industry without long loading screens. In fact, loading screens in others games last a few seconds at most.

Took me 10 FRICKIN' MINUTES TO LOAD INTO ALDERON TONIGHT...AND LAST NIGHT...AND THE NIGHT BEFORE.

I have a gtx590 and alderan gives me glitchy play when shadows are on high. .... My system is very high end and turning a graphic setting to low makes me cry...

There's no problem as long as you have at least a 4 core and good enough parts to go with it. Perfect example being my recent upgrade from 2 to 4 cores, as well as some other much needed upgrades.

You need the proper computer to play this without very noticable slowdowns and FPS loss, even on lowest possible settings for this game.

I have a dual core (i3-2100 3.1 ghz with hyperthreading) and AMD 6950 as a GPU with 4GB Ram. I can play on max settings without a single stutter.

Just saying it's not mandatory to upgrade to 4 cores.

I have the same issues the people complaining have.

In areas of low graphical stress my 6970 (AND GTX 470 I had) GPU is running at 98% and I have 100+ FPS

In areas of high graphical stress my 6970 (AND GTX 470) GPU slows down to 0% most of the time and offloads everything to the CPU a AMD 1090 Black Edition.

Any other game and these issues dont exist. But obviously its a localization issue and/or my low end gaming rig. :rolleyes:

What are your graphics settings?

What other programs do you run in the background?

Did you play beta? When you uninstalled, did you delete the leftover files?

Also, you're wrong about it "offloading everything" to the CPU. It doesn't work that way.

Edited by Kashaan

I have a gtx590 and alderan gives me glitchy play when shadows are on high. .... My system is very high end and turning a graphic setting to low makes me cry...

Believe it or not, after I turned off Shades, the game actually looks "sharper" and better then with Shades on. Atleast it looks that way to me.

Personally I think you're pooching your video card OC’ing it and overheating it may be an issue, but I would start to read about the low FPS issues others have reported with their HD5870 cards in other games and see if there is a solution …. FYI …Your card benchmarked at under 40 FPS in Crysis Warhead, wanting to see a sustained 60 FPS in SWTOR may be a bit much.

Here are some links to help you get started.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/300943-33-frame-rates-radeon-5870

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3754645631?page=1

http://hardocp.com/article/2009/09/22/amds_ati_radeon_hd_5870_video_card_review/9

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=111190

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3123367394

Now you're just making fun of your self mate. My card runs at 60°C, and that's not overheating. HD5870 can take about 90°C before you should be afraid :)

And i know what i'm doing. As i said, i tested it for over 48 hours in a row. No problems at all with artifacts, heat problem etc. Have never gone over 65°C.

And linking all those links, i know all that stuff already. I'm well read about this, have done

it for a long time now, never ever failed.

(Yeah, my first cpu clocked. But only cause i got a new one at home, and upgarde ofc)

Temps on everything is just fine. CPU at my roomtemp, 20-23°C.

And GPU at 60°C peak when playing with 98% GPU usage (BF3).

What are your graphics settings?

What other programs do you run in the background?

Did you play beta? When you uninstalled, did you delete the leftover files?

Also, you're wrong about it "offloading everything" to the CPU. It doesn't work that way.

Im running Firefox and Ventrilo!

Zomg thats obviously the issue! Thanks guy :rolleyes:

I have a 2 year old stock sony laptop with a crappy ATI card. I havent spent any time optimizing my setup. I loaded the game and it was unplayable so i turned off the shadows and the turned the grass to low, now the game never dips below 30fps. My only complaint is slow loading screens between planets, WZs, and zoning into the main level on fleet.

I did play the beta and have seen definite performance improvements since then.

Im running Firefox and Ventrilo!

Zomg thats obviously the issue! Thanks guy :rolleyes:

Running Firefox/Chrome/Opera in the background can cause some problems tho.

New cards wont clock up correctly. It will only clock about 40% of what it shoudl do.

Graphic cards do downclock them self when not in use to save power and simple the

"life" of the card, so you can have it for a longer time.

And when Firefox is open, it wont upclock correctly. And will cause some problems.

I do not know the reason of this problem, can't find anything good on some long

google searching. Tried everything in my mind, but nothing could tell why this happens.

This applys to all games btw, not only SWTOR.

Not all these major fps problems tho :)

Edited by Mjolkspam

I get the same fps on fully low or fully maxxed. And i assure you it isnt sucky computer parts. 4gb is more than enough. And again if i can almost max bf3 this game should be cake

I don't play BF3, so I wouldn't know. From my experience, graphics drivers are updated by AMD and nVidia for specific games all the time. In your next graphic driver update, look to see if SWTOR is mentioned anywhere. There seems to be 2-3 specific updates in the first 6 months for most of the games I play.

Secondly, I really think that your 4 gb of RAM (#1) and your processor (#2) are bottlenecking your graphics card. Your slow processor has to work twice as hard if there's not enough RAM to store/run the information it processes.

I'm not saying there is no problems with SWTOR. But I do think that many people are simply ignorant. I do not mean to imply that you are ignorant -- I'm generalizing.