The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

BioWare: "most" people aren't having SWTOR performance issues

Raggnarok

Customers don't have the right to blame the carpenter when they gave the wrong measurements.

With only 5% having problems, that indicates user error. I'm sure if you contact them, they'll try to help you correct whatever you have wrong in your configuration. With such a small minority having issues, it's very diagnose. Especially when there are people who have the same comp setups but one runs the game fine, and the other claims to have problems. In that case, it is definitely due to user error.

No. It really doesn't

If you applied that to every PC game.

There would be no PC gaming.

5 is a low number.

5% is huge.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does saying the problem only exists for a tiny minority of people who have low-end machines (which is a lie, by the way) serve as "confirming a problem?" It's not confirming the problem, it's marginalizing the problem.

Does it make any sense that high-end computers would suffer when medium-end computers are doing just fine?

Who have the right to voice our displeasure or any other opinion we have.

Yes you do. But which do you think has the best chance of getting things fixed? A thread like this where everyone is snarling at each other, or a thread with just system specs, metrics and other data.

And my PC specs you ask? Prepared to be blown away with my recent upgrades.

Asus Maximus IV Extreme

Intel Core i7 2600k @4.8GHZ

Dual Geforce 580s

8GB DDR3

2x120GB SSDs

2TB HDD

I know they don't meet the min requirements for SW: TOR but I make do what I have

And what, specifically, is your problem running the game?

What resolution do you run at?

What do you have for cooling?

What background programs do you run while playing TOR?

What operating system do you run?

What drivers do you use?

Did you play in Beta? If so, when you uninstalled the beta, did you also delete the leftover files (this was a common problem)?

What anti-virus do you run?

*sigh*

It's weird how people a) generalize from their own experience, and b) have no sense of the numbers involved. What's happened to the education system these days?

As someone pointed out earlier in this thread, even if 100,000 people were having problems with the game, that would still be only 5% of 2 million. Even if the game has only, say, 400,000 active players, 5% of that would be 20,000 players.

Now, even 20,000 people is a lot of people to be having problems in absolute terms, but it's a small percentage of the vast bulk of people playing the game who, like me and many others who have responded here, have no problems.

Why is this so difficult for people to understand? Of course it's annoying for those who have the problems, but if they come to the forums and say their experience is representative and that means BW are ****, the Here engine is ****, etc., etc., etc., ad nauseam, that doesn't make their hyperbole any less hyperbolic and, frankly, silly.

I've been at the unlucky end a few times with MMOs. On one occasion I even discovered that the reason for my problem was that my machine was dusty. On another occasion, I was one of a bunch of players for whom there was a problem with our ISP in relation to the game. There are all sorts of reasons for these kinds of problems, and you just have to work with Support to sort them out, and be patient.

Edited by gurugeorge

Today I tried a trial account on rift to see what it was like, I had never played it previously.

I wanted to try to see what the game would look like on ultra setting because I heard it was a really good looking game. I didn't think I'd be able to play it like that because on this game I have to play on low settings if I want the game to run smooth.

It struck me as odd that playing the game on ultra setting and the game looked amazing my computer ran the game fine. But this game... not so much.

It leads me to believe the developers of this game don't know what it means to optimize their game.

Yes you do. But which do you think has the best chance of getting things fixed? A thread like this where everyone is snarling at each other, or a thread with just system specs, metrics and other data.

There's zero chance of this getting fixed, regardless of the thread's tone. Read the Bioware posts. They don't see this as a serious problem. They think it's only a small number of people effected, so they're not going to do anything besides supply a canned PR answer.

It doesn't even matter at this point if they're right about the number of people having problems. They've made a choice to ignore the whole issue. At this point people are just posting in this thread to vent their frustration, because that's the only thing it can be used for.

Edited by rylixav

What drivers do you use?

Did you play in Beta? If so, when you uninstalled the beta, did you also delete the leftover files (this was a common problem)?

Everything is checked(5 years without Antivirus and have managed to get no infections:cool: ). Building computers is my side job so I know what I am doing.

What drivers do you use?

Theses are all valid questions. One important question you left out is "when did you last do a thorough cleaning of your case fans and heatsinks?".

I have had a surprising amount of computers in for repair because of slow performance when all they needed was a very very thorough cleaning. ANother common problem is people running all kinds of junk in their taskbar. I've seen ridiculously large startup lists over the years.

AS for me my main systems are a couple years old but they run SWTOR fine with 30fps on med and high settings. Hell I got it to run pretty well on an old celeron d system with the settings on low. A laptop that was given to us broken which has a dual core AMD 64 processor and an 8400 gs card actually plays the game and almost breaks into double digit FPS in fleet on low..

*sigh*

It's weird how people a) generalize from their own experience, and b) have no sense of the numbers involved. What's happened to the education system these days?

As someone pointed out earlier in this thread, even if 100,000 people were having problems with the game, that would still be only 5% of 2 million. Even if the game has only, say, 400,000 active players, 5% of that would be 20,000 players.

Now, even 20,000 people is a lot of people to be having problems in absolute terms, but it's a small percentage of the vast bulk of people playing the game who, like me and many others who have responded here, have no problems.

Why is this so difficult for people to understand? Of course it's annoying for those who have the problems, but if they come to the forums and say their experience is representative and that means BW are ****, the Here engine is ****, etc., etc., etc., ad nauseam, that doesn't make their hyperbole any less hyperbolic and, frankly, silly.

I've been at the unlucky end a few times with MMOs. On one occasion I even discovered that the reason for my problem was that my machine was dusty. On another occasion, I was one of a bunch of players for whom there was a problem with our ISP in relation to the game. There are all sorts of reasons for these kinds of problems, and you just have to work with Support to sort them out, and be patient.

You would be totally right.

Except that relative to your average PC game release 5% is a terrible number.

As I said earlier if every PC game could only be played by 95% of the people who met the required or even recommended specs there would be no PC gaming.

And the fact that it is the engines fault and not ******* PC gamers will be apparent when the performance issues get fixed via patch hopefully within the next few months.

except in this game there is alot of VO which does chew up resources for one thing

Yeah, playing an audio file is super system intensive. Whenever I want to listen to some MP3s on my computer I have to make sure I shut down all the background applications to muster the necessary computing power.

Because marginalization is exactly what is needed. The game runs flawlessly for 95~ % of the playerbase. Those other 5%, sure they may have performance issues, but Bioware isn't responsible for fixing the driver errors or router firmware clashes that these people are having. There very well may be a problem with the optimization of the coding, but if a high end rig can't support this game, the simple fact is that that high end rig isn't setup properly.

I have a 3 year old PC with a 1 year old video card & matching power supply. I sit at 30-45 fps no matter where I am. You don't need a super computer to play this game, you need a computer that is maintained and setup properly.

QFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a core i5 2500k on a ASRock Extreme 4 Gen 3 with 16gb of High Performance Ram (G.Skill Sniper 1866) a GeForce GTX 260 and the ONLY time I lag is if it is heavily populated in the Fleet.. And that even doesn't happen often and I know it's my ancient video card that is the culprit. NOT the game.

I run the game on max settings with Shadows disabled @ 1440x900.

I have never had any performance issues with the game other than the ability delay. As far as the game fps goes.. smooth as silk. Try installing good drivers (not always the newest) and the updates to directx let alone your firmware, etc. There is so many reasons for a system to perform sub-par and you cannot blame that on the game makers or engine.

Edited by Aethyrprime

Im having FPS problems aswell with a decent computer(better than lots of people with no issues).

One thing i haven't seen anybody say is that I can switch every setting to low and have the same EXACT fps as when it was fully maxed. And believe me ive tried EVERYTHING to try and fix this. It definitely isnt user problems with this many people.

All you people blaming our computers are wrong on so many levels. If i can play Skyrim maxed why would i have ANY lag on fully low settings in this game?

BTW : Lag only happens to me in warzones/fleet

Edited by Invesco

*sigh*

I agree. I think that a lot of the problems (though not all) are from people being completely ignorant about computers.

1. -Do you have the most up-to-date drivers for your graphics card (and all hardware)?

2. -Does the game lag when you play other games (in other words, does your ISP, router, network card suck)?

3. -Are you trying to play on a Commodore 64?

4. -Did your problem(s) start after a recent patch?

5. -Are you just frustrated/cranky because you put in 8 hours on TOR today? Go get some exercise and a snack. Get the blood flowing.

6. -Are you frustrated/cranky because you are not the pro awesome gamer that you thought you were because some noobs beat you in PvP?

7. -Is Windows up to date?

8. -Have you tried tweaking your graphics settings in your Catalyst/nVidia control panel as well as in game? (Triple buffering works wonders)

9. -Are you 13 years old?

For those of you with legitimate problems, this post is not directed towards you.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Im having FPS problems aswell with a decent computer(better than lots of people with no issues).

One thing i haven't seen anybody say is that I can switch every setting to low and have the same EXACT fps as when it was fully maxed. And believe me ive tried EVERYTHING to try and fix this. It definitely isnt user problems with this many people.

I'm on your side. I have tried the same. Low wont do it at any time.

Same fps, same place. etc.

-Does the game lag when you play other games (in other words, does your ISP, router, network card suck)?

This tho? Ehm, we are talking about heavy fps drops, pure performence issues.

Edited by Mjolkspam

All you people blaming our computers are wrong on so many levels. If i can play Skyrim maxed why would i have ANY lag on fully low settings in this game?

You can't make an assertion like this without telling us your stats. For me, I checked Triple Buffering option in my Catalyst AI and the game runs like butter now. Perhaps it is something simple for you too?

Read the full article here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-10-bioware-most-people-arent-having-swtor-performance-issues

Perfectly shows how detached BioWare is from its community and confirms my decision not to continue playing this technological POS.

Problem stims directly from the Hero engine it self. Its been known sense early closed beta that the hero engine is not capable of handle a large amount of player in a given area (its also known for major memory leaks). This is why the majority of the game is phased into cloned instances of a given area based on population.

Bioware's tactic is to publicly ignore the issue (Admiting to it would cause outcry from the shareholders, A epic blunder during early development such as engine choice tends to get negitive attention from upper management, followed by "house cleaning".

QFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a core i5 2500k on a ASRock Extreme 4 Gen 3 with 16gb of High Performance Ram (G.Skill Sniper 1866) a GeForce GTX 260 and the ONLY time I lag is if it is heavily populated in the Fleet.. And that even doesn't happen often and I know it's my ancient video card that is the culprit. NOT the game.

I run the game on max settings with Shadows disabled @ 1440x900.

I have never had any performance issues with the game other than the ability delay. As far as the game fps goes.. smooth as silk. Try installing good drivers (not always the newest) and the updates to directx let alone your firmware, etc. There is so many reasons for a system to perform sub-par and you cannot blame that on the game makers or engine.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. My grandfather smoked two packs of cigarettes a day for 50 years and never had so much as a bad cough. So I'm positive that all this stuff about smoking cigarettes causing lung cancer and emphysema is just made up, since it never happened to him.

(I know there's a 99% chance this will go right over your head, but I couldn't help myself.)

Many people have already said that they see no performance change when they go from high to low settings.

Im one of those people. When my framerate doesnt get worse or better no matter what game options i set things to, that tells me its NOT my machine.

I corrected a major problem, ingame, for me by turning off shadows. Stuttering, lag and grapics issues all fixed.

Loading Screens? While my Comp was high end 2 years ago, not high end now.

That said, my comp can play every single game in the entire mmo industry without long loading screens. In fact, loading screens in others games last a few seconds at most.

Took me 10 FRICKIN' MINUTES TO LOAD INTO ALDERON TONIGHT...AND LAST NIGHT...AND THE NIGHT BEFORE.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. My grandfather smoked two packs of cigarettes a day for 50 years and never had so much as a bad cough. So I'm positive that all this stuff about smoking cigarettes causing lung cancer and emphysema is just made up, since it never happened to him.

(I know there's a 99% chance this will go right over your head, but I couldn't help myself.)

Pretty good post. +1

You can't make an assertion like this without telling us your stats. For me, I checked Triple Buffering option in my Catalyst AI and the game runs like butter now. Perhaps it is something simple for you too?

Believe me when I said I tried everything, I TRIED EVERYTHING. I dont have the best parts, but they should be more than capable of playing this game on high easily. This is the only game it has ever happened to me.

XFX Raedon 6870

AMD Athlon II x3 445 processor 3.10Ghz

4gb of ram.