The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Remove Lightsaber Color Restrictions

HundeThutt

I just realized, it's dumb.

Why?

Dark Jedi, throughout time, have used Blue Lightsabers, it's their original saber color.

Such as Anakin, he would have KEPT using a Blue lightsaber if his original had not been destroyed. I guarantee it.

I see the reasoning behind the restriction, but you have... pink lightsabers... So.....

Yeah.

I just don't think red should = Dark Side automatically.

In fact, if you do have restrictions, just prevent non-lightside sith from using blue, but restrict it to only the faction side.

Not morality. Because Sith don't use blue, they just don't. But if you're a lightside Sith, you can.

But if you're a Dark Side Republic Jedi, you should still be able to use blue. But you cannot use red if you're a lightside Republic Jedi. See, that's fair.

So this means, a Light Side Sith can still use red.

So this means, a Dark Side Jedi can still use blue.

Because these colors shouldn't be tied to Morality restrictions, it's not as immersive and doesn't make much sense. Why would a Lightside Sith suddenly STOP using red?

It makes no sense when 80% of your faction, for whatever reason, is using Red Lightsabers.

Edited by HundeThutt

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Asking to remove the lightsaber color restriction is not dumb.

As far as the restriction is concerned, it is possible it is a game play mechanic. Perhaps the reasoning is PvP is better if people can more easily determine what side the jedi are on. I see a bunch of lightsabers over there and can tell our side outnumbers the other side so I attack elsewhere.

Yes, this is not a perfect example but shows there are reasons for doing things that might not make perfect lore sense.

Edited by Amdramnar

Such as Anakin, he would have KEPT using a Blue lightsaber if his original had not been destroyed. I guarantee it.

Actually Obi-Wan took Anakin's lightsaber, which he then gave to Luke.

Edited by Flotsam

Perhaps the reasoning is PvP is better if people can more easily determine what side the jedi are on. I see a bunch of lightsabers over there and can tell our side outnumbers the other side so I attack elsewhere.

Except that Light-sided Sith can use Blue/green, and Dark-sided Republic Jedi can use red.

So that wouldn't help you.

Light side can actually still use red, and dark side can still use blue... you just need to find a saber who's default color is red/blue and which has no alignment restriction :p

I got a red saber from a quest somewhere as a light IV sith... and left the original crystal in because it looked cool.

I just realized, it's dumb.

Why?

Dark Jedi, throughout time, have used Blue Lightsabers, it's their original saber color.

I see the reasoning behind the restriction, but you have... pink lightsabers... So.....

Yeah.

I just don't think red should = Dark Side automatically.

In fact, if you do have restrictions, just prevent non-lightside sith from using blue, but restrict it to only the faction side.

Not morality. Because Sith don't use blue, they just don't. But if you're a lightside Sith, you can.

But if you're a Dark Side Republic Jedi, you should still be able to use blue. But you cannot use red if you're a lightside Republic Jedi. See, that's fair.

So this means, a Light Side Sith can still use red.

So this means, a Dark Side Jedi can still use blue.

Because these colors shouldn't be tied to Morality restrictions, it's not as immersive and doesn't make much sense. Why would a Lightside Sith suddenly STOP using red?

It makes no sense when 80% of your faction, for whatever reason, is using Red Lightsabers.

Once you fall to a point you can't use said crystal in game mechanics along as you don't unequipped the weapon or the crystal you still can use it. This would be like Anakin still using his blue lightsaber till he was forced to get a new one.

yea have to say any kind of "you can't use that color because you are bad/good" is just so 2nd grader lack of imagination lame.

i mean a real evil guy would use a ______ if most goodies used one, in order to front their "good" status while planning the back stab for later.

And if i must bust an in universe argument:

I didn't notice General Grievance having any issues with what color of saber he used,

and i'm pretty sure both sabers worked fine for Anikin when he beheaded Duku.

I've never understood the color restriction or why it was put into the game. It wasn't in the game during beta so it seems like it was a late addition. It really makes no sense. If you're a Jedi running around with a red lightsaber you're obviously going to stand out wouldn't you? "He's probably not one of us is he?"

It's completely pointless and ruins rp.

Yes Bioware, please remove all consequences for my player actions.

And i love consequences for actions, that's real, but that i can no longer wear a white t-shirt because i did something bad is too unreal and removes the immersion.

Consequences are things like, that person won't talk to me any more, that planet is too dangerous to visit as i am wanted there, that bar won't let me in after i started that fight in it the other night.

Not that when i look in my closet one day all the blue shirts won't come off the hangers because i did something bad.

Edited by FullFrontalYeti

Yes Bioware, please remove all consequences for my player actions.

Right, I don't rightly care if the *gear* is alignment based, say it's "seeping with the power of the dark side" or something, but last time I checked, Shinny colored rocks couldn't form moral allegiances.

I actually support the restricted colors.

I dont support the, "everything should be fully accessible form everyone. Everything should be 100% fair".

Because I chose Dark Side, so I could specifically get dual red sabers. It was a path I decided to choose, and I see dual red sabers, as my "reward" for going such a path.

Sometimes, I want to change my color to something light side only, but you know what, I accept the fact that I cant, and hold myself accountable for MY decision.

Keep it how it is. Make it so the stats are universal, but keep the colors restricted.

I dont support the, "everything should be fully accessible form everyone. Everything should be 100% fair".

Because I chose Dark Side, so I could specifically get dual red sabers. It was a path I decided to choose, and I see dual red sabers, as my "reward" for going such a path.

Sometimes, I want to change my color to something light side only, but you know what, I accept the fact that I cant, and hold myself accountable for MY decision.

Keep it how it is. Make it so the stats are universal, but keep the colors restricted.

Fair enough, had you gone light side however, your reward would of been dual blue sabers.

Why would a Lightsided Sith suddenly be unable to use Red Lightsabers? A BASE LIGHTSABER COLOR FOR THAT WHOLE FACTION?

EVERYONE ON THESE FORUMS =

Don't think of it as a restriction. Think of it as a reward for a specific playstyle. You're darksided and you get rewarded with gear only darksiders can use. You're lightsided and you get different gear.

It's just a thing. Don't make a big deal!

Seriously, no one read my post.

This is about keeping iconic colors to your side, accessible regardless of morality.

Why would a Sith suddenly be unable to use a red lightsaber JUST because he chose a higher path?

It makes no sense.

Red should be accessible to ALL Sith.

Blue should be accessible to ALL Jedi.

If you don't see the point of my OP, don't post.

I suspect this might be a Lucas Arts thing and not a Bioware thing. Remember, LE owns the rights to Star Wars, and this game is a partnership between the two. Lucas Arts as a whole is *very* particular about how their brand is represented, and they are also *very* picky about their cannon. (Not so say they don't retcon things, but at the same time, they control their cannon and lore with an iron fist it would seem). Given that, its entirely likely, (and my educated opinion) that they want it this way to maintain the cannon on light saber colors, and instigate the requirements as thus.

Also like another poster said, there needs to be SOME kind of consequences for your actions in game, that's sort of the whole point. You can't have everything, so you need to decide for yourself what path you want to take to get what you want, and what one must sacrifice in return.

Per Lucas

Per Canon:

Dark Side is Red

Light Side is Blue/Green

Only Mace Windu had a Purple Light Sabre.

Wrong per Lore

Even if you want to look at it Red was synthetic but synth crystals could be any color but on average they were red it was frowned upon by jedi's to use but did not mean you couldn't.

Mace Windu Had a different one because it was a gift.

At no point should alignment factor into color choice.

I approve of this thread