[HOWTO - RAMDRIVE] Increasing SWTOR System Performance

Lemon_King

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even with the manual stuff I still run into issues. At this point I just need to figure out how to undo everything without doing a full reinstall.

Well I did not reversed it yet, by my guess is:

- Delete the folder 'SWTOR' (with the arrow) in '%userprofile%\AppData\Local\'.

- Rename the folder 'SWTOR_Original' back to 'SWTOR' in '%userprofile%\AppData\Local\'.

- Delete 'DiskCacheArena' (with the arrow) in '..\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor\'.

(as mentioned below by Lemon_King).

- Delete the folder 'settings' in '..\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor\retailclient\'.

This should do it as the symbolic links created with mklink are gone now and the game can grab the files from there normal places.

Well this is logical step I would do, to reverse it. But as I said I did not reversed it yet so I am not 100% sure :)

Edited by Ocmer_

Excellent Post here with an all in one batch file by mrkitethreeeight

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=1965652

Just a word of warning I have not tested it on my machine.

I want to thank you and mrkitethreeeight for this. It worked flawlessly! I too use an SSD, and after a couple of planets i would have to relog otherwise i would have hitching.

Bioware should implement something like this, or at least flush the cache.

Below is my batch file, the only change I have done is adding the extra l in. I just verified that after a reboot trying to run the batch file as Admin and not admin I am asked both times to format the drive.

*snip...*

Can you show us what is outputted on the screen? Put "REM" in front of the first "@echo off", then open a command window and run the batch file and post the results.

Can you show us what is outputted on the screen? Put "REM" in front of the first "@echo off", then open a command window and run the batch file and post the results.

I actually uninstalled and re-installed the game yesterday because it got so bad. it got to the point where graphics weren't loading (The fire karagga was putting down didn't show up for the first 45 seconds of the fight, not good a tank).

What I can tell you though, to make the formating problem go away I had to set imdisk to run as admin.

The problem in the batch file I was running into was in the 3rd symlink iirc.

Tonight I am going to set a restore point and try again, at least try the steps in the OP and see if I can even get that to work. I had a problem there too with the 3rd symlink. For that step how do I link to T:\DiskCacheArena if it doesn't exist?

What exactly does this do? All I can see with my naked eye is that it creates two folders; swtor and CrashDump on the 2gb T drive. Also, it only uses 0.07gb

Is that what its supposed to do only? Not sure if i experience better performance, I havent tried pvp or going to the fleet yet

Edited by winzhi

What exactly does this do? All I can see with my naked eye is that it creates two folders; swtor and CrashDump on the 2gb T drive.

Is that what its supposed to do only? Not sure if i experience better performance, I havent tried pvp or going to the fleet yet

It stores gamecachefiles to faster RAM instead of slower harddisk.

That 2Gb T drive is wipes every time you reboot.

EDIT: The cachefile goes up to 1.07Gb on my system after a zone or 2

Edited by PHInnocent

Tried it and it seems to work. I just got one problem:

My interface & graphic settings keeps getting reset which and it takes about 5 minutes to redo it after each game restart. Hotkeys are saved though.

Any ideas whats up?

I'm having a problem now. The ramdrive won't format, even if i do it manually in Windows 7. Anybody have any idea why? Windows 7 goes through the motion, but when i try to access the drive i get:

T:\ is not accessible.

The volume does not contain a recognized file system.

Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.

I'm having a problem now. The ramdrive won't format, even if i do it manually in Windows 7. Anybody have any idea why? Windows 7 goes through the motion, but when i try to access the drive i get:

T:\ is not accessible.

The volume does not contain a recognized file system.

Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.

Are you sure that you are running the script with admin priveleges? Shouldn't need to format it manually.

Tried it and it seems to work. I just got one problem:

My interface & graphic settings keeps getting reset which and it takes about 5 minutes to redo it after each game restart. Hotkeys are saved though.

Any ideas whats up?

Broadly speaking, your account and character configurations aren't being remembered. I never shut my machine down, instead I Sleep it. This way I never have to recreate the ramdisk or its content.

I have tried 3 of these different "fixes" and they still aint working for me, this one actually made it worse (~8FPS).

If anyone else has these same specs and knows of a way to get it to run smoother, PLEASE let me know.

2ndGen i5 2.4Ghz

8GB DDR3 RAM

ATI RADEON HD 6670M 2GB

Win7 Pro 64bit

I have tried 3 of these different "fixes" and they still aint working for me, this one actually made it worse (~8FPS).

If anyone else has these same specs and knows of a way to get it to run smoother, PLEASE let me know.

2ndGen i5 2.4Ghz

8GB DDR3 RAM

ATI RADEON HD 6670M 2GB

Win7 Pro 64bit

Most direct solution - Replace your ATI card with a nVidia card of inferior capabilities and get superior SWTOR performance out of it.

Most direct solution - Replace your ATI card with a nVidia card of inferior capabilities and get superior SWTOR performance out of it.

RADEON HD 6670M (Mobility), cant swap out a laptop graphics card. It passes the test to run it, and I can play Starcraft II in all high settings without a hitch. Also, not a big nvidia fan

RADEON HD 6670M (Mobility), cant swap out a laptop graphics card. It passes the test to run it, and I can play Starcraft II in all high settings without a hitch. Also, not a big nvidia fan

:notes the word laptop:

I see your problem, and sadly its' not fixable without buying a new computer. My condolences as regards your desire to improve SW:TOR's performance. I wish you the best of luck.

I see your problem, and sadly its' not fixable without buying a new computer. My condolences as regards your desire to improve SW:TOR's performance. I wish you the best of luck.

Thank you for your regards. However buying a new computer might not fix the problem, like i said if i can play starcraft II on high, hell even Witcher 2 on medium, I should be able to play this on all low.

I'm not doing all this to fix something that is wrong with the game, not my computer.

Hey, buddy. Here's my two cents for your two cents.

OH NO! You're THAT GUY? !

I've been reading some various information about ramdrives, and I think I might just do this. I'm getting a pretty decent 50fps average, 25fps tops in warzones. HITCHING IS A BISH! Very noticeable on my system.

Athlon X2 5400+ OC'd to 3.2 ghz (floats around 60- 80 percent usage total between two swtor processes)

2gig x 2 Corsair XMS 2 pc26400 No issues what so ever, each pair on separate channel.

1gig x2 Kingston pc26400

2TB Barracuda (there's the killer)

2x 9800GTX+ EVGA (great cards, never EVER reach 70 percent usage on my system)

Been upgrading her since built in 2007. Only one processor to upgrade to before I build a new system. Will make a great server for killing floor when retired.

Edited by fireofsev

HOLY NUTS! He's running a second gen i5! Better buy a new desktop!

Edited by fireofsev

I posted a link to this topic in the newish topic that Bioware posted about bug-fixing, asking them to take a look at it if they haven't already:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=255991

I was watching for replies for at least a couple of hours and saw my comment post, with the link to this topic. Now I've gone back through all 40 pages of that thread and noticed that my post has been deleted.

Probably Bioware just doesn't want inexperienced users messing with their system in this way, but I also have to wonder if they're putting up a smokescreen.

Lemon's solution seems like it's probably very accurately pinpointing a major flaw in the engine. It's kind of annoying if that's why they deleted my post, but I will forgive them if they fix it.

Edited by Ringzero