[HOWTO - RAMDRIVE] Increasing SWTOR System Performance

Lemon_King

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I have a question. I noticed that going from a Raid 0 HDD to an SSD for the SWTOR installation made my loading screen time be cut in half. If I have 24 GB of RAM, and usually only need 4 GB to play the game, is there a way to make use of those other 20 GB of RAM as a RamDrive and move most of SWTOR's files to it without breaking the game and achieving incredibly fast loading times?

I'd be very interested in this, specially with the long loading screen times TOR has.

Edited by Neverdyne

hi ,

sry for english i'm french ^^

i got a problem with code 4 rd line

this one :

mklink "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars-The Old Republic\SWTOR\DiskCacheArena" "T:\DiskCacheArena"

it say me : the specified path have been not found

i deleted the DiskCacheArena on C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars-The Old Republic\SWTOR\ as you said.

:'(

hi ,

this one :

mklink "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars-The Old Republic\SWTOR\DiskCacheArena" "T:\DiskCacheArena"

i deleted the DiskCacheArena on C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars-The Old Republic\SWTOR\ as you said.

Is "T" the letter you assigned to your RAMDRIVE? Because if it's G or something like that, then the last function needs to be "G:\DiskCacheArena"

Hey, I have a question. I noticed that going from a Raid 0 HDD to an SSD for the SWTOR installation made my loading screen time be cut in half. If I have 24 GB of RAM, and usually only need 4 GB to play the game, is there a way to make use of those other 20 GB of RAM as a RamDrive and move most of SWTOR's files to it without breaking the game and achieving incredibly fast loading times?

I'd be very interested in this, specially with the long loading screen times TOR has.

I was thinking that if I had more RAM, I would move this "Assets" folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\Assets) to the RAMdisk and create a junction.

I think it's about 16 gb though -- and I'm not sure how much it would help.

hi ,

this one :

What does your install directory look like in French? this: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\SWTOR?

There is a space between Star Wars <SPACE> - <SPACE> The Old Republic

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Is "T" the letter you assigned to your RAMDRIVE? Because if it's G or something like that, then the last function needs to be "G:\DiskCacheArena"

Yes its T: ,

i really dont understand why it say me something like that

Yes its T: ,

i really dont understand why it say me something like that

Hmm... by deleting DiskCacheArena that does make the path invalid. What I don't understand is why doesn't everyone get the same error?

I deleted DiskCacheArena last night and played the game and today it was back again. Does this file actually have to be deleted?

Edited by Mannic

mklink "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor\DiskCacheArena" "T:\DiskCacheArena"

In the OP code, it says there is no space between "Star Wars-The Old Republic," but the directory says "Star Wars - The Old Republic." Try adding space and see if that fixes it.

EDIT: Unnecessary post... You re-read my other post where I had already edited that one. haha

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

mklink "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor\DiskCacheArena" "T:\DiskCacheArena"

In the OP code, it says there is no space between "Star Wars-The Old Republic," but the directory says "Star Wars - The Old Republic." Try adding space and see if that fixes it.

I believe (not certain) that CMD ignores spaces in pathing. For example, I tried c:\Program Files(x86) and Program Files (x86) and it didn't seem to make a difference. I could be wrong though. I used to know DOS really well but haven't played with CMD in Win7 very much unless I needed to flash something.

I was thinking that if I had more RAM, I would move this "Assets" folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\Assets) to the RAMdisk and create a junction.

I think it's about 16 gb though -- and I'm not sure how much it would help.

Its crossed my mind, I just don't have the hardware on hand to test my assets folder in a RamDrive.

Feasibly, you would need 32gigs.

6gigs for basic OS / Applications, QoL Stuff.

20gig RamDrive for Assets (This is accounting for future content as its only 16.7gigs enUS)

2gig RamDrive for DCA/S/B setup.

4gigs left over for general game use. (Avg 1.5 gigs - 2 gigs)

Using the batch file provided on page 8 of this thread, I'm receiving the error of Windows cannot find 'C:\Program\launcher.exe'

The game is installed on the C:\ drive and the reg keys are under Wow6432Node

Any thoughts?

I can tell you what's happening, but no clue how to fix it :).

The registry entry is stopping when it finds that Space... It really shouldn't, but I have no idea how to fix that.

What you can do is add a line after that registry searching that

SET installloc=C:\Program Files(x86)\Star Wars-The Old Republic

Or whatever directory it is that it's installed to. Although I think you'll have to remake the symlinks.

The registry entry is stopping when it finds that Space... It really shouldn't, but I have no idea how to fix that.

Or whatever directory it is that it's installed to. Although I think you'll have to remake the symlinks.

Right you are, and probably because of the way the tokens are calculated. I installed mine to e:\swtor so I never noticed that in testing. Thanks, I'll take a look when I get home this evening. Until then the workaround you've posted is correct but I expect you'll need "" around the path since it contains spaces:

SET installloc="C:\Program Files(x86)\Star Wars-The Old Republic"

Ok, it was burning my brain, these lines should do it:

for /F "skip=2 tokens=3,*" %%i in ('reg query "hklm\software\bioware\star wars-the old republic" /v "Install Dir"') do set installloc32=%%j
for /F "skip=2 tokens=3,*" %%i in ('reg query "hklm\software\wow6432node\bioware\star wars-the old republic" /v "Install Dir"') do set installloc64=%%j

I'll test this later when I have access to the game.

Edited by mrkitethreeeight

Thanks!

Its crossed my mind, I just don't have the hardware on hand to test my assets folder in a RamDrive.

Feasibly, you would need 32gigs.

6gigs for basic OS / Applications, QoL Stuff.

20gig RamDrive for Assets (This is accounting for future content as its only 16.7gigs enUS)

2gig RamDrive for DCA/S/B setup.

4gigs left over for general game use. (Avg 1.5 gigs - 2 gigs)

Could you elaborate a little bit more on what DCA/S/B setup is? And why do we need so much for OS and applications?

I have it working and its running great!

I actually have no lag in a warzone!!!!!!!!

One issue is that each time I restart, chat settings and graphic settings are not being saved... my buttons are being saved though... which is kinda annoying... I did check and my localappdata is being juntioned, I can see it as a link. I'll try restarting to see if it gets fixed.

I had to edit the other bat file on page 8 to this to get it to work for me:

@ECHO OFF
:SETVARS
for /F "skip=2 tokens=4" %%i in ('reg query "hklm\software\bioware\star wars-the old republic" /v "Install Dir"') do set installloc32="C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic"
for /F "skip=2 tokens=4" %%i in ('reg query "hklm\software\wow6432node\bioware\star wars-the old republic" /v "Install Dir"') do set installloc64="C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic"
IF DEFINED installloc32 IF DEFINED installoc64 GOTO ERRinstloc
IF NOT DEFINED installloc32 set installloc=%installloc64%
IF DEFINED installloc32 set installloc=%installloc32%

:COPY
IF NOT EXIST "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor\retailclient" (xcopy "%localappdata%\swtor\swtor\settings" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor\retailclient" /E /I && ren "%localappdata%\swtor" swtor-orig)

:MKDRIVE
IF EXIST t:\ GOTO MKFOLDER
imdisk -a -s 2G -m T: -p "/fs:ntfs /q /y"

:MKFOLDER
IF EXIST "t:\swtor\swtor\retailclient" GOTO MKLINK1
mkdir t:\swtor
mkdir t:\swtor\swtor

:MKLINK1
IF EXIST "%localappdata%\SWTOR" GOTO MKLINK2
mklink /J "%localappdata%\SWTOR" "T:\SWTOR"

:MKLINK2
IF EXIST "T:\swtor\swtor\settings" GOTO MKLINK3
mklink /J "T:\swtor\swtor\settings" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor\retailclient\settings"

:MKLINK3
IF EXIST "T:\DiskCacheArena" GOTO LAUNCH
ren "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor\DiskCacheArena" DiskCacheArena-orig

:LAUNCH
:set installdrive=%installloc:~0,2%
:%installdrive%
:cd %installloc:~2%
:start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old :Republic\launcher.exe" /MIN
GOTO EOF

:ERRinstloc
@ECHO ON
@ECHO "Hmm, you seem to have two installation folders. Better post in the SWTOR forum!"
@ECHO OFF
PAUSE
GOTO EOF

:EOF

Edited by gsorreta

Did anyone manage to keep the settings after reboot? Mine seem to go back to a full reset - would be really nice if there was a way to keep client settings.

Just gsorreta said the chat, camera max distance, nameplates, target and player health info all are going back to default as game is first launched. However keybinds and the displayed quickslots are still there, unchanged. Also the settings for default server and character, so it's not all lost. I haven't tested in Warzones of 16 man ops to check the difference but if it's that real as it seems now (it's a lot smoother and i had never felt the game "lag" until now, i feel i don't have any and all seems really fluid) but i will post results asap.

Edited by Thunores

Did anyone manage to keep the settings after reboot? Mine seem to go back to a full reset - would be really nice if there was a way to keep client settings.

Just gsorreta said the chat, camera max distance, nameplates, target and player health info all are going back to default as game is first launched. However keybinds and the displayed quickslots are still there, unchanged. Also the settings for default server and character, so it's not all lost. I haven't tested in Warzones of 16 man ops to check the difference but if it's that real as it seems now (it's a lot smoother and i had never felt the game "lag" until now, i feel i don't have any and all seems really fluid) but i will post results asap.

I didn't lose any settings, check so you did the settings stuff correrct

Edited by Fentz

Figured it out.

Create the folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor\retailclient\settings

and it should now create the settings files in it.

Well I have that folder created, I copied from Local at AppData into there just as the OP suggested. I guess that's why my server settings and keybinds are in there but the rest of the settings are reseting. The settings file should be correct or i would lose all settings, they're all in same folder...

Gsorreta I'm guessing might be the batch file you are using - I'm using just the simple code OP said while you are using that more complex batch file right?

Fentz did you use OP batch code or gsorreta one?

Edited by Thunores

Well I have that folder created, I copied from Local at AppData into there just as the OP suggested. I guess that's why my server settings and keybinds are in there but the rest of the settings are reseting. The settings file should be correct or i would lose all settings, they're all in same folder...

Gsorreta I'm guessing might be the batch file you are using - I'm using just the simple code OP said while you are using that more complex batch file right?

Fentz did you use OP batch code or gsorreta one?

I posted the batch file code I used a few posts up. I had to manually edit the file paths to work for my system. Inside the batch file code is the line to junction the settings folder, which is why it works for me once I created the settings folder in the correct place.