Hit the spacebar!!

TonyACT

Specify "Lfm Hammer no cutscenes." problem solved. I will be using this from now on and will probably be much more inclined to run a quick light side/dark side points/exp/gear/etc run if I know for a fact that my group knows whats up and what we are doing. There is no confusion to the average person. If I said hey you down for hs we doing no scenes. i would think that must mean quick run. i would then most likely go, even if i did not peticularly want to.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I think 'no cutscenes', or 'speedrun' or something needs to be specified if that's what you want. Running a flashpoint for the first time is pretty much ruined when your groupmates keep harassing you to skip the plot points.

I still have no idea what actually happened on the Black Talon, but apparently it left quite an impression on my superiors. ;)

Edited by daemian

Ha ha - might do that on my next run through when I am considering choosing the dark side options, even though I am aiming for light on my character overall (only if the group does the same sort of thing though - starting to think I play much too politely :rolleyes:).

So instead of complaining about such behaviour you're going to make them your role model? Brilliant. It's a vicious spiral you're jumping into there - you'll always find WORSE players to make yourself worse than.

You know you can leave groups politely right? "Sorry guys, I love the story in this game and want to watch it. Best of luck, cya out in the world!"

Feel free to use that exact wording - tell 'em the guy on the forum authorized you to politely leave any group you want. There, you've been liberated from having to play with people with different goals.

I would have been annoyed enough to let the selection timer run out on all the options after the second time they did that.

That's a great idea. I'd probably just quit right there. If anyone ever tells me to press the space bar, I politely tell them once it's not gonna happen. (I've seen Esseles tons of times - I guess I can enjoy things more than once?) If they keep bugging me about it, have fun finding another tank because you're not the kind of people I want to group with.

Edited by TheSeventhJedi

I think eventually we're going to see region posts like, "LFM Esseles, no cutscenes." Not being sarcastic but a lot of people are impatient after they've grinded an instance out a few times.

I personally like watching Esseles, especially when someone chooses the dark side option in the one scene. :cool:

Thats what i do if im in a rush, spam in general "bla bla esseles, must use space bar or be kicked" i mean i give some warning >< other days i make sure i say cutscenes allowed. Communication is needed.

Edited by trajic

So instead of complaining about such behaviour you're going to make them your role model? Brilliant. It's a vicious spiral you're jumping into there - you'll always find WORSE players to make yourself worse than.

You know you can leave groups politely right? "Sorry guys, I love the story in this game and want to watch it. Best of luck, cya out in the world!"

Feel free to use that exact wording - tell 'em the guy on the forum authorized you to politely leave any group you want. There, you've been liberated from having to play with people with different goals.

Got it - guy on the forums - empowered ;)

Why are people in such a hurry?

As a healer it can be annoying when the tank pulls too fast. If the group can't be patient enough to watch some cut scenes I'd hate to think how quickly the tank rushes through the mobs.

As an aside, play healer in some other games, love tanks or dps asking me why they died when they just went too fast and I was out of mana or whatever it was in the game at the time (in EQ I would be yelling - need time to med - and getting ignored :rolleyes:).

This is going to be a bigger and bigger issue. Can you imagine a LFG tool that allows the party leader to kick someone and immediately get a replacement? Also wait until the high end raids get timed to the second. If the dark side takes 45 seconds longer heaven help you if you roll the dark side option.

In the end if you want to play multiplayer you're going to be stuck playing with people. People often stink.

Try to find a good guild and put in the time to try and get relationships going. That's your only hope. Oh, you could also just play single player. I hear that works a treat.

On my server I have already seen a couple of "LFM spacebar for quests" for flashpoints.

If it is understood beforehand that the deal is to skip conversations then that is what should be done. If not then people should just sit back and wait for those in the group who likes to listen and watch cutscenes.

I have done all but two of the flashpoints and with the exception of the first one I did I just lean back in my chair and keep hitting spacebar occasionally while I wait. Doesn't save any time but I just find it annoying to listening to yet another npc explaining quest number xxxx. I want to play not sit passively when I log in.

No matter how annoying I find it I have never said a word in the party chat about it though. Everyone should be entitled to enjoy the game the way the like to, I don't want to ruin someone else experience. Although in the future say a year or two ahead I think it is fairly safe to assume the norm will become to spacebar conversations unless something like "LFM concersation run" was used.

I personally like watching Esseles, especially when someone chooses the dark side option in the one scene. :cool:

I just got the 'backstabber' title :D I love the evil ending of the Esseles and the surprise from people who see the crew blown out of the spaceship for the first time.

Once someone said hit spacebar but no one acted on it so luckily I havent had the problem yet.

EDIT: Its also amusing when people run ahead so far that the others cannot reach them because they are in a fight at the other end of an elevator....at least look back at some time lol.

Edited by Gokkus

Unfortunately I believe that we have welcomed a large number of the Xbox/PS3 croud who just want to spank on through and not actually enjoy the game.

Now, before you all start, I know that some will have run it before, but does that mean that anyone new to the mission has to miss all of the content to appease you?

I haven't owned a console since PS1.

Personally I hit the spacebar in 90% of all conversations, as I simply don't the find the current storylines to be realistic (It's an MMO, whatever you do, everybody else just did, but the world didn't change when they did it. IE unrealistic.)

BUT, I never tell people to hit the space-bar. I only tell them I am "a space-bar lover", that's all.

Unfortunately I believe that we have welcomed a large number of the Xbox/PS3 croud who just want to spank on through and not actually enjoy the game.

Now, before you all start, I know that some will have run it before, but does that mean that anyone new to the mission has to miss all of the content to appease you?

What? That is the most retarded thing i have ever read. Were you born yesterday? People are impatient because they are people, not because they play xbox or PS3. Maybe if you didnt sit behind a keyboad all day and had a job, you would know this.

Edited by Tycoon

I just got the 'backstabber' title :D I love the evil ending of the Esseles and the surprise from people who see the crew blown out of the spaceship for the first time.

Once someone said hit spacebar but no one acted on it so luckily I havent had the problem yet.

EDIT: Its also amusing when people run ahead so far that the others cannot reach them because they are in a fight at the other end of an elevator....at least look back at some time lol.

yes - had that elevator thing happen in the group as well.

The title intrigued me, without too many spoilers, do you have to choose evil all the time?

Managed to get in my 2nd group last night, I think it was Esselles? Lo and behold every time we got to a conversation 2 of my group kept spamming 'hit the spacebar dude'. One of them at least was ok with me reading the text, the other even more impatient. Silly me, I wanted the immersion to continue and had in mind listening to the conversations.

Of course, at the end the group dispersed while I was in the middle of typing 'see you later and thanks for the group'.

2 points of gameplay from my perspective out of this experience:

1) Get a grip. This is meant to be a new story-based approach to MMORPGs - if you don't like it, sorry, but I do, and I will continue to listen to the story until it bores me, then I will hit the bar, but I won't try and pressure others into it

2) I think we should get social points for kills, heals and chatting to others

I've had ppl tell me skip the dialogue too, I just ignored them and we finish it lol.

On my server I have already seen a couple of "LFM spacebar for quests" for flashpoints.

If it is understood beforehand that the deal is to skip conversations then that is what should be done. If not then people should just sit back and wait for those in the group who likes to listen and watch cutscenes.

I have done all but two of the flashpoints and with the exception of the first one I did I just lean back in my chair and keep hitting spacebar occasionally while I wait. Doesn't save any time but I just find it annoying to listening to yet another npc explaining quest number xxxx. I want to play not sit passively when I log in.

No matter how annoying I find it I have never said a word in the party chat about it though. Everyone should be entitled to enjoy the game the way the like to, I don't want to ruin someone else experience. Although in the future say a year or two ahead I think it is fairly safe to assume the norm will become to spacebar conversations unless something like "LFM concersation run" was used.

I really like rational ppl like you.

• 2 years later...
Well I have plenty of books I have read multiple times. I guess the enjoyment reading is a lost art for many young people...
Movies bear a similar fate. I mean, if people had no desire to rewatch movies they enjoyed over and over again, then the home DVD industry would have tanked a long time ago.

I think it's the click & go mad rush to nowhere crowd that forces the issue. I see spacebarring as being an acceptable norm for HM flashpoints, and HM & NiM ops. But not leveling missions, planet heroics, normal flashpoints ... or Story Mode ops.

When I'm not the group leader, I'll go with whatever the party decides ... but I WILL ask about it first thing. When I lead a party I tell people up front that I play through the VA dialogues. Communication is the key, which in the Twitter age seems to have become a lost art. All we can really do as players is be up front about our preferences.

Two-year+ necro! Niiiiiiice. (especially since it skips over other threads on the topic from like, last week.)
Ya know ... it was near the top of my threads list and I didn't even think to look at the dates. I have no clue how it got that high up.

/thread I guess. Sorry about that. :o

Edited by GalacticKegger

I honestly believe that there would be a lot less rage from the space bar spammers (of which I am one occasionally, generally when running in a group that I shouldn't have queued for because it was late and the wife was chewing my leg off) if they stopped spamming the space bar when someone does want to watch (first time etc). Really frustrating if you have entered your answer when there is still two minutes of talking to go, slightly less frustrating when you are watching it.

Something to remember about this game is also the pride and vanity that many (including me on some toons) have about their avatars. Someone who has spent money and time on their toons actually really look forward to seeing them in these cutscenes and getting reactions from people (e.g. looks great, LOL, nice guns etc).

If I have run it before I always ask "Spacing or Watching", happy either way, and in early things like Esseles and Hammer, if someone drops it doesn't matter, just finish it with three people.