Does Bioware support griefing on PvP servers?

Mapache

There is nothing to fix. Get other level 50s to protect you.

World pvp can only become more than random ganking if it is actually possible to take control a place and prevent the enemy from using it, so they are forced to organize some defense.

I despise people who claim to like world pvp but keep asking for NPC protection or sanctuaries everytime they actually run into any world pvp action.

You will have to fight other players to be able to quest sometimes. That's the point of pvp servers.

Edited by Zlodo

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me and my guild joined a PvP server to PvP, yes, that's established. But we did so in good faith since Bioware assured us that they would implement measures to prevent griefing even on PvP servers... so where are these preventions? PvP server rulesets actually promote griefing on PvP servers.

Level 50's can go to Nar Shaddaa, Hoth, Alderaan, and Tatooine to just name a few and go INSIDE quest hubs, wait for questers to get off taxis, then slaughter them, they respawn there at the base, they kill them again, corpse camp, and repeat until they get some kind of help, map, or log out. Really Bioware? Just about every day I log on there are 50's inside Aurek base on Hoth waiting for people (usually lvl 40's) to come out of the spaceport, then they gank them. Seriously? There is no chance for a couple 40's to fight a group of 50's in this game, especially with the accuracy differential. PvP servers should not promote griefing. Enemy factions should NOT be able to go INSIDE enemy quest hubs/taxi locations. I'm really still scratching my head on this one.

Where are the level 50 one-shot turrets around factioned quest hubs to prevent this like in other MMO's? Why can't low-levels actually HIT level 50's in pvp? Why is there such a huge accuracy differential in PvP, I can understand it being there for PvE, but PvP too? Lower level players 10+ have absolutely no chance to defend themselves against players 10 or more levels higher, even in large groups, one 50 with high defense can take out a party of 30's. And what's worse, they can't even escape on their speeders due to 50's having a 20% faster speeder. Do I like PvP? Yes, but I don't like griefing and ya'll said there would be things in the game to prevent griefing... what things?

Here are my ideas for fixing PvP on PvP servers, and I think there'd be a lot more happy players if you implemented these ideas.

• Remove the accuracy debuff on lower-level players so they can actually defend themselves against 50's. Accuracy should be based on stats, not level. They will probably die anyways, but at least 10 level 20's will actually stand a chance against 1 50.
  • Add level 50 Champion one-shot turrets and stealth detection fields to all Taxi Locations to prevent taxi/spawn camping
  • Give players the ability to buy some kind of "Treaty Badge" on PvP servers that prevents players from attacking or being attacked in open world PvP for 24 hrs but it does not work in Warzones or Ilum. Alternatively, this badge could be a permanent open-world protection from attack from enemy players 8 or more levels higher.

There is a solution...PVP...go figure. There is no need for all these measures you want implemented, you want them out, get your factions 50's to get rid of them. It's that simple. Likely it's only 1-3 because most 50's wouldn't waste their time so get a few of your own 50's and send them packing.

The thing is here is there is a player controlled solution to this. Gather up faction forces and fight back. Kick them out. On PVP servers this is going to happen and to me part of the fun of playing on a PVP server. Guys want to act like jerks? Well round up the posse and give it right back to them!

P.S. I would be prepared for the "PVP happened on a PVP server" type responses here.

This. If you don't want to ask for help then you should not play on a pvp server. I have never played on a pvp server in any game where people were not chomping at the bit to help out. It is one of the cool things about pvp servers.

I agree with everyone that has posted here you should move to a PvE server. If your finding it to be that big of a problem.

I play on a PvP server and I haven't once found anything you have mentioned to be true for me. I have been attacked once or twice by a lvl 50. But I have never had one sit on my body and wait for me to respawn. They whoop my butt and then take off on their speeder. If I do get attacked again I'm in a different area.

Write down the name of the player and promise to find them on the battlefield and filling up with LEAD! More so if they kill you 2 or 3 times without letting you spawn.

"I mean the Death Star did PvP Alderaan and well you know how that ended."

• 3 weeks later...

There should be achievements/rewards for taking over repub towns/quest hubs. I've seen it on more than one occasion and before long there are some 50's called in to help out. Fun.

A real issue... why would I ever go to Illum?

This sort of stuff really isn't griefing on most pvp servers anymore- sure it's never fun to the lower levels in this bracket...but it's common practice for a lowlife that is afraid to pvp other lvl 50's.

You pretty much have a couple actions- skip those quest/go to another planet, lvl with space missions/wz's or stir up a crowd of players from your side to go beat them up.

My suggestion would be to look for another PvP guild to assists yours during these hours of questing...there always is at least one group that enjoys actual combat for the sake of it.

Otherwise, they are allowed to get away with it...it's a pvp server. Needless restrictions completely negate the context of specific servers...taking away that sort of conduct would cause a hindrance to pvp...not help it.

There should be achievements/rewards for taking over repub towns/quest hubs. I've seen it on more than one occasion and before long there are some 50's called in to help out. Fun.

A real issue... why would I ever go to Illum?

Level 50's camping noob quest hubs is NOT PvP.

While having someone camp the medical droid preventing you from respawning from death without a fight is annoying, I'll note that the OP was talking about a level 40 spawn point. Level 40s aren't "noobs" (well some of them are probably, but not most).

By level 40, you have at least some abilities that might help you get away -- or at least draw the person away from the medical droid before you die -- so maybe you can respawn before he gets back to it. Alternatively, you can lie there dead for a few minutes while you call for help.

If a group of say 7 individuals is preventing several hundred (not at the same time mind you) from leveling...guess which 7 will be met with a login error and an email detailing their ban.
If a group of 7 people is managing to "grief" several hundred people on a PVP server, then those "several hundred people" suck and deserve to be griefed. If there are even "several" people being griefed, they (at a minimum) should coordinate to all revive at the same time, rather than repeatedly reviving individually.

Call for help. Even if your server isn't big on gathering posses, if enough people are griefing in a location, there are sure to be some people around that would be up for some PVP to help out (you might have to wait for them to come from other planets, but it isn't like you (the "griefee") are going anywhere).

Level 50s camping level 10s is annoying (and could almost be considered griefing -- and might encourage new players to give up if it is happening a lot). Level 50s camping level 40s is PVP.

I can't see it being a major problem as long as there is no reward/loot for world PVP. Few people can be bothered to camp low level quest areas for any extended period.

Has anyone seriously had any regular problems with being "griefed" on a PVP server? It may happen occasionally, but that's what you can expect for being on a PVP server and it happens a lot less than I was expecting. The Shrine of Healing on Voss was the first time that I have come across a quest hub that is actually hard to wade through enemies to get to. By the time you get there, you are well into your 40s.

EDIT: One small fix that might help would be to give you the option to revive at the next nearest medical droid if you die within 10 feet of a medical droid.

Edited by sjmc

Would be careful with that. If a group of say 7 individuals is preventing several hundred (not at the same time mind you) from leveling...guess which 7 will be met with a login error and an email detailing their ban.

One thing to remember is the rules can change at a drop of a hat. If Bioware's GM Team deam your group to be a profit-loss; say good bye.

Blizzard has been known to hand out 72hr suspensions to groups of people (small raid sized), who "excessively disrupted the gameplay of others"; on pvp servers.

Bioware may not share the same spelling, but they do share the same desire to "please", or at least pretend to, the majority of the payees.

Yeah, this is the only reason stopping me venting my boredom.

However, with the lack-lustre PvP options in this game a ban really wouldn't be that terrible!

Look let's make this nice and clear for you.

PvE servers OFFER FAIR PVP. If you love fair PvP, and don't like to be attacked when you don't want to be, or by higher levels, and only want equal PvP when you're ready, then go to a PvE server.

Listen, I'm guessing like so many others you have insecurities, you all do. There is nothing shameful in picking a PvE server. In fact these days it's probably admirable, because it saves US types of PvP'ers the hassle of having to deal with you. PvE servers offer equal fair PvP and can be just as competitive, if not more in some cases. There is nothing shameful, there is nothing bad about it, so don't be insecure. That is YOUR playstyle, and you should go to a PvE server to support and stop trying to ruin MY STYLE.

Now if a PvE server already offers fair PvP, then a PvP server NEEDS TO OFFER MORE. It's not difficult to understand, it's not difficult to get. Think about it, why would a PvP-Orientated server simply offer fair PvP when it's already offered on PvE!

Way I see it's like this, in a game when you play normal mode it's easier. Like PvE servers, to make it harder it needs to get more frequent and unfair, so when you pick hard it becomes a real challenge. It's the same for PvP servers. You have safe PvP, so going PvP ups the anti and increases the difficulty, risk, and danger associated with it.

On a final note BW announced the server types BEFORE release, and explained exactly the rules of a PvP server. I have no sympathy for you or your "lolguild", because you invented a theory and then got upset that it wasn't implemented.

Now I explained that clearly stop thinking you're all important, go to PvE, have a GOOD TIME, and leave us harder players, alone.

kthx,

TH

PvE servers OFFER FAIR PVP. If you love fair PvP, and don't like to be attacked when you don't want to be, or by higher levels, and only want equal PvP when you're ready, then go to a PvE server.
Pre-50, with the lack of rewards for PVP, PVP servers do a pretty good job at offering fair PVP. You won't generally find high levels fighting low levels, because those players are in different places and don't meet each other.

It certainly happens occasionally, but not with any sort of regularity. When it does happen -- well, it isn't like you lose XP or gear or anything. You don't even need to repair your armor. At worst, you are going to have to run back to where you were (or go adventure somewhere else for a little while).

I think most PVE players would be quite comfortable on a PVP server in SWTOR, and would enjoy the PVP that they find there.

From what I hear, there are PVP issues post-50, but I am not sure they would particularly impact on non-PVP-focused players (do level 50 non-PVP players go places that they would run into unwanted PVP?)

That's a matter of opinion. What's important about the situation you've described is that the type of loser that would camp a noob area at level 50 is playing on a different server than I am so I don't have to deal with that type of mouth breathing troglodyte.

Keep up the good work Bioware!

PvP Definition:

The engagement of one player vs another in either real time or turn based combat or activity.

You already have a handicap in Warzones for PvP. You will not be bolstered outside of instanced PvP combat as well.

Suck it up. Adapt and over come. Or quit playing if you really want to QQ on the forum instead of trying to get on with it.

This doesnt surprise me, Saints of the old republic are terrible, I either see them on the floor solo or running around with 100 guildmates.

I'll make sure to grief them extra hard everytime I see one now, especially the OP.

Best part is the questing is so linear that its pretty easy to locate someone based on their level.

Me and my guild joined a PvP server to PvP, yes, that's established. But we did so in good faith since Bioware assured us that they would implement measures to prevent griefing even on PvP servers... so where are these preventions? PvP server rulesets actually promote griefing on PvP servers.

Level 50's can go to Nar Shaddaa, Hoth, Alderaan, and Tatooine to just name a few and go INSIDE quest hubs, wait for questers to get off taxis, then slaughter them, they respawn there at the base, they kill them again, corpse camp, and repeat until they get some kind of help, map, or log out. Really Bioware? Just about every day I log on there are 50's inside Aurek base on Hoth waiting for people (usually lvl 40's) to come out of the spaceport, then they gank them. Seriously? There is no chance for a couple 40's to fight a group of 50's in this game, especially with the accuracy differential. PvP servers should not promote griefing. Enemy factions should NOT be able to go INSIDE enemy quest hubs/taxi locations. I'm really still scratching my head on this one.

Where are the level 50 one-shot turrets around factioned quest hubs to prevent this like in other MMO's? Why can't low-levels actually HIT level 50's in pvp? Why is there such a huge accuracy differential in PvP, I can understand it being there for PvE, but PvP too? Lower level players 10+ have absolutely no chance to defend themselves against players 10 or more levels higher, even in large groups, one 50 with high defense can take out a party of 30's. And what's worse, they can't even escape on their speeders due to 50's having a 20% faster speeder. Do I like PvP? Yes, but I don't like griefing and ya'll said there would be things in the game to prevent griefing... what things?

Here are my ideas for fixing PvP on PvP servers, and I think there'd be a lot more happy players if you implemented these ideas.

• Remove the accuracy debuff on lower-level players so they can actually defend themselves against 50's. Accuracy should be based on stats, not level. They will probably die anyways, but at least 10 level 20's will actually stand a chance against 1 50.
  • Add level 50 Champion one-shot turrets and stealth detection fields to all Taxi Locations to prevent taxi/spawn camping
  • Give players the ability to buy some kind of "Treaty Badge" on PvP servers that prevents players from attacking or being attacked in open world PvP for 24 hrs but it does not work in Warzones or Ilum. Alternatively, this badge could be a permanent open-world protection from attack from enemy players 8 or more levels higher.

I really don't care if I get a ban for this but,

G T F O!

Of all things to cry about. Jeez....

Just delete your account.

Omg... Sorry but... Omg

Edited by BoDiE

Actually that is a good thing. I wish my server had that problem.

That is what you want for pvp servers.

However the problem is you have around 20 planets in swtor.

So the solution should be to add reasons for lvl 50s to visit all parts of an area in an MMO. How are they going to do that with 20 planets, even if its easy to travel to these areas. A good way is to allow people to access open world maps of all planets to see friendlies and enemies as if it were satellite intel and also tap into general chat of other worlds to talk to people or hear what they say about griefing, or hypothetically if there was open world objectives on these planets and what is the situation.

Already their open world and pvp is so segregated they need other solutions, other than possibly making them more accessible, which might take too much internet power for some.

The best solution is to add open world pvp objectives on planets anyways so that lvl 50s visit different worlds, but also give people who are under leveled the possibility to fight back. There is already a boost system for War zones. Make everyone boosted in open world as well. Problem solved imo.

There can be other solutions but this is probably the easiest one to implement since they have already worked on a boost system.

edit: Just to clarify it would boost the 'pvp stats'. So it would be as if there are two groups of stats. One against the environment PVE, and the other is PVP.

Edited by VegaPhone

Stuff

It sounds like you should consider rerolling on a PVE server.

This MMO has levels, unlike real life, which is why in real life a clueless civilian can waddle up to a locked and loaded M2 .50 caliber machine gun, (yes, the "Ma Deuce", headspace and timing anyone?), press the trigger and expect to bring forth death and destruction upon people and objects downrange of that weapon.:cool:

In an MMO that M2 might simply not operate for the civilian, the civilian being of too low a level to operate it OR the people the civilian is shooting at may just laugh and suck it up, wander up to said civilian and one shot him with the flick of a finger.:D

10s and 20s should have ZERO chance against a 50. To do otherwise defeats the purpose of having levels in the first place.

Guns and guards so people can't so easily camp transportation nodes seems reasonable. They are not particularly tactically significant at the moment.

The badge thing...it's a PVP server the whole point of which is that you are never safe in an area where you are flagged.;)

Do yourself a favor and seriously consider rerolling on a PVE server for your own good.:)

With all respect, yes it is PVP. PVP servers have always been the haven of hardcore players who love to fight and at the opposite end the softcore players who like to beat up lower level players on a regular basis. That said, you DID choose to level on a PVP server and thus you will be subject to numerous drive by gankings. I like a good fight and have no interest in harassing lowbies per se, but that will not stop me from toasting the occasional lowby I encounter in my travels. It makes things much more exciting for everyone than a "hands off until level 30/40/50" sign.:D

Welcome to MMO PVP

Clearly the OP is a PvE player so go play on the PvE servers. It's people like you that ruin MMO's for PvPers. SWTOR is already a mess in PvP with virtually no crossover so we never see the enemy and the base guards have 102k HP even on tatooine, the whole game stinks of carebearitus.

Millions of people played WOW for the great fun in world pvp. Level 50 ganks level 20, level 20 gets m8's who gank level 50 and cc him. level 50 gets m8 to gank level 20's m8 and 20 mins later the whole zone is at war. This happened hundreds of times on my server in vanilla wow, it was the best gaming experience I have ever had.

SWTOR could have had this if the Devs had a clue, if anything it needs opening up more to encourage this kind of thing. So kindly go to the place designated for you, it's called a PvE server. :mad:

This is nothing but whining. PVP servers are for PVP. The PVP system is not broken. Its working as intended.

The main issue we are having with the game is persons such as yourself complaining on the forums because they get beat. It sounds like it happens more in your case, but don't feel alone the forum is full of whiners. So solution is suck it up, grind out your gear, L2P, or re-roll on a PVE server.