The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Lightsabers

TheHauntingBard

Personally I find them well, dull.

Up to level 50 I'm pretty much use the same looking weapon.

I know its a part of the lore and that at start it's epic but well it never changes.

My off hand is invisible as well.

I can pick a few different colours and the hilt slightly changes, but that's it.

Let's say one year further a few operations further and you will still be wielding the same saber.

How do other people look at it, do you like that or perhaps a bit more variation would have been appreciated.

Edited by TheHauntingBard

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you can use vibroblades and such. They do give you more options than just 1 weapon.

That being said. There is no other variation they can do with a lightsaber besides the hilt and crystal color without breaking lore, and Lucas Arts isn't blizzard so they won't knowingly break the entire lore of their IP just to cater to people.

Edited by Nidien

It's a lightsaber - how can you vary it except for different hilts/colours?

Well for one maybe have pure casters wield something different than a saber, or give an option for them.

The game plays far in the past, I am pretty sure some lore could have been adjusted to make the weapons look less the same.

Well, you can use vibroblades and such. They do give you more options than just 1 weapon.

Seen them though most still look pretty similar to each other.

If people think it's nice that it looks like this I can appreciate the opinion.

Mine how ever is different.

Might also be because I'm not a huge SW fan so while some might find this epic beyond believe I just view upon it as 'meh' same looking weapon.

I expected this, I am just asking if people think this is fine or that perhaps some more creativity would make it more fun.

But let's say a staff with some glow through it .

i would like to see the grips the force users have on the lightsabers change. it would make it atleast look alittle more variabled.

Yes, but, it's starwars.

Look at vadars sabre, or obiwans, or any of them. Appart from very close up they are all identical, appart from the blade colours.

Thing is these are characters from movies, especially the older SW movies made them unique.

This was killed off in the newer movies.

Now in a MMO this is even worse, there isn't anything special about it anymore.

Not like it was with Obiwan and vadar, the meaning behind the lightsaber loses it's impact when you have so many players running around with the same thing.

MMO's are partly about looks weapons/gear and such.

I just think they could have done more with the concept, or offer alternatives that also look creative (mind you creative in a sensible way)

The only thing I would change about lightsabers is that you shouldn't be forced to use one, two or a double bladed depending on your advanced class. Jedi Sentinel is more my thing than guardian but because I have to wield two lightsabers (which looks stupid imo (not just in this game, in general)) I'm not playing that class. But alas...that can't be changed and I'll learn to live with it.

Bwahaha.... made my day.

But to be honest: It's just light, if we can already bend it to our will, this should be possible.

Pretty much this.

dude if your find LS dull , this is not the game for you , is a LS what could you possible do to it?

Other poster answered it.

But I guess it's a valid argument to state that the game is not for me because I think some more could have been done with the light saber.

After all it's a huge aspect.

The only thing I would change about lightsabers is that you shouldn't be forced to use one, two or a double bladed depending on your advanced class. Jedi Sentinel is more my thing than guardian but because I have to wield two lightsabers (which looks stupid imo (not just in this game, in general)) I'm not playing that class. But alas...that can't be changed and I'll learn to live with it.

Allowing all weapons, and having abilities influence which are used for each class, would be a truly open design concept that unfortunately isn't grasped by most game companies or players.

For example: If any player could wield two sabers, but only one tree had bonuses to the offhand to make it worthwhile, it would still end up with players using it for the 'right' class the vast majority of the time. Unfortunately, players won't really grasp the idea that one class should do X better than another and the other classes would whine about being able to dual wield poorly.

A second example: There isn't any reason a Jedi couldn't wield a pistol (Luke Skywalker...) but be much more effective with a lightsaber. The response from players would be about how the jedi needed on 'their' pistol when they can't use it so well.

Bwahaha.... made my day.

But to be honest: It's just light, if we can already bend it to our will, this should be possible.

Actually, its directional plasma stream coming out of hilt. Would be quite physically impossible to make "shapes" out of it without gigantic(compared to LS hilt) electromagnetic gear.

Most weapons in the game provide little to no change in graphics. The most you will see is the upfront difference of a commando/vanguard guns. Most weapons you have to zoom in to compare graphical differences. This includes and is not limited to light sabers. I was content with the amount of different graphics for the hilts. If you want variance in your sabers you can use a Vibersword :D or change the color crystal in your light saber.

There's nothing you could have expected from this game more. Light sabers general all look the same to one another in star wars lore other than the colors.

That's the question could they have done more with it, changed the lore slightly or introduced different kind of weapons that still used the same light?

I think yes and perhaps it would have been a bit of a lol lore.

Other side enough of things are a bit odd lore wise so well I don't see this as a huge issue.

It would be quite easy to add in more light saber types, there were numerous different kinds aside from just your basic saber that we all have, or the dual blade saber shadow/assassin have. Well Easy and stay with in the lore, below is a list of weapons that are all in SW lore.

Great Sabers

Saber pikes

Light whips (yes the night sisters used these, a long with a few others)

Guard Shoto

San-Ni Staff

Cross guard Saber

Dual Phase saber (these held 2 crystals)

Dueling Saber (just a slight hilt change though)

Long Handle saber (again mostly hilt change for the game, but they were designed to easily be one or two handed when wielded)

Wan-Shen

I have said since beta, I would love to have some of these in game to give some more unique weapons, I am also all for more blaster grpahics also.

I am still using my first dual blade saber simply because I like that hilt the most, though I am of course keeping up on the mods.

Edited by acidzero

Right so it does exists in SW lore, thank you for clearing that up.

I think it would have looked a lot more fun with all these weapons put in game.

They might yet - an MMORPG is finished only when it shuts down.

Personally, I'd like to see my Sentinel with a Shoto in his offhand(which ought to be easy enough), but I'm prepared to wait.

Well for one maybe have pure casters wield something different than a saber, or give an option for them.

The game plays far in the past, I am pretty sure some lore could have been adjusted to make the weapons look less the same.

Seen them though most still look pretty similar to each other.

If people think it's nice that it looks like this I can appreciate the opinion.

Mine how ever is different.

Might also be because I'm not a huge SW fan so while some might find this epic beyond believe I just view upon it as 'meh' same looking weapon.

I am sure the casters have no interest in weilding something else. Speak for yourself.

Is therein game a curved Light Saber handle like Bane had? If yew then what is the name and how to get it?