How Can A Game With Such A Large Budget Have So Little Content? What Was it Spent On?

Xugos

8 years ago is not the standard for MMO releases.

That's like comparing a 2012 Lexus to a 2004 Lexus and saying "hey, the 2004 lexus didn't have parallel-park sensors, rear-view camera, advanced-engine immobilization, great fuel economy, etc, so why should a 2012 Lexus have it?

Sorry to point out to you m8, but gaming hasn't moved very far in the last 20 years, all thats got better is the graphics, the gameplay is still lacking since the days of classic gaming (Spectrum, BBC, Acorn, Atari and Amiga et al)

So it's more than fair to point out that the gameplay is similar as the technology hasn't moved far.

Plus you guys really need to leave WoW alone, all I see on these forums is WoW this and WoW that, this isn't WoW, it might play like it, but imho most MMO's kinda play like each other.

Personally there is a ALOT of content ingame, the issue is for some reason people want to be level 50 in a day, as someone who's played Everquest for 13 years, and enjoyed the real old days when it actually took awhile to level, I miss abit of a grind, it doesn't hurt to grind and sorts the men from the boys.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Give it a rest already man. Aren't you tired yet flooding the forums with hate posts? People are already mocking you since you stated numerous times that you would cancel your preorder during beta, yet here you are.

Do yourself a favor and return to your precious WoW, you'll have loads of fun with your pandas and pokemon battles.

TOR released with more content than any other themepark MMO ever did. Why don't you tell us about the amount of content WoW, Rift, Aion, AoC, WAR had on release? So we can make some comparisons.

Furthermore, less than a month since release patch 1.1 will bring 1 operation and 2 more flashpoints.

Of course the game has his flaws and shortcomings but judging from the patch notes BW is heading towards the right direction in addressing a number of these issues.

Edited by Galentor

Originally Posted by Cutiecat

Dude, this isn't 2004, **** and stop comparing it to crap that came out many years ago.

Dude wow is development for more then 12 years (maybe 13). Swtor is in development for 5/6 years. So you need to compare them how they are on launch. Because you can't compare a mmo with more development with a release of a mmo with less development.

Edited by mebeli

Unfortunately I don't think you can compare SWTOR and WOW at all, due to when WOW was released it was a completely different era of gaming, where the grind was supposed to be a big part of any RPG.

And you can't really compare SWTOR to WOW today either, since WOW has been on the market for over 7 years and have recieved alot of improvements over the years, and updates to suite todays gaming and gamers.

Take both games for what they are, if you like one and not the other, stick with that and don't complain about the other.

- There's only 3 warzones.

--- WoW had 0

- There's only 1 operation.

--- WoW had 0

- There's only 1 end-game operation, and the rest are recycled from lower-levels.

--- WoW recycled alot too in my opinion

- It took 1-2 months to reach level 60 at WoW's launch, but in SW:TOR, a game supposedly based on leveling, it takes ~50-60 hours to reach maximum level. Don't believe me? A guild mate of mine went to great lengths to ensure that his time spent logged in was spent questing so that he could see how long it took to reach max level. He did not spam space-bar, he ran everything at normal speed, and that's how long it took him. WoW is 7 years older and launched with a longer level path? Not to mention WoW also had a smaller budget.

--- WoW took me 8 days(played time) to reach lvl 60 ans so far I'm lvl 24 with 3days spent i SWTOR so it wont be much difference for me anyway.

- Some zones, such as Nar Shaddaa, are incredibly small. [/b]

--- WoW has them too

From this, it can only be concluded that Bioware spent most of its money on VOICE ACTING.A/B-list voice actors cost a lot of money, and Bioware decided to use them for some reason. It appears as though they consumed most of Bioware's budget. I would not be surprised if $200 million alone was spent on voice acting.

--- Lets hope they can keep the voice acting up. I like it.

Yes the game is buggy but Wow was too at release so the games aren't that much different .

above this line were trolled. Or OP is just mad his WOW guild fell apart because of SW:TOR being launched.

Edited by Trevux

we have around 6 lvl 50's in our guild, 140players and we normaly have 50-60 online at same time, start doing raid bosses, we engage in world pvp alot, if 1 sith attacks a guildie it is dead from above we swarm the area kill all on sight and attack outposts, after we do world bosses lots of premades, crafting to guild trade, space combat/flashpoints and still my char is 45 because of it, play the game slowly no rush Edited by Nomiematiko

- There's only 3 warzones.

--- WoW had 0

- There's only 1 operation.

--- WoW had 0

- There's only 1 end-game operation, and the rest are recycled from lower-levels.

--- WoW recycled alot too in my opinion

- It took 1-2 months to reach level 60 at WoW's launch, but in SW:TOR, a game supposedly based on leveling, it takes ~50-60 hours to reach maximum level. Don't believe me? A guild mate of mine went to great lengths to ensure that his time spent logged in was spent questing so that he could see how long it took to reach max level. He did not spam space-bar, he ran everything at normal speed, and that's how long it took him. WoW is 7 years older and launched with a longer level path? Not to mention WoW also had a smaller budget.

--- WoW took me 8 days(played time) to reach lvl 60 ans so far I'm lvl 24 with 3days spent i SWTOR so it wont be much difference for me anyway.

- Some zones, such as Nar Shaddaa, are incredibly small. [/b]

--- WoW has them too

From this, it can only be concluded that Bioware spent most of its money on VOICE ACTING.A/B-list voice actors cost a lot of money, and Bioware decided to use them for some reason. It appears as though they consumed most of Bioware's budget. I would not be surprised if $200 million alone was spent on voice acting.

--- Lets hope they can keep the voice acting up. I like it.

Yes the game is buggy but Wow was too at release so the games aren't that much different .

There is no way in hell you have 3 actual days of play time (72 hours) and are only level 24. Absolutely no way unless you've spent more then 2/3rds of your play time just sitting at the fleet. I don't believe I've seen someone tell such an obvious lie before in my life.

I'm sorry, but your thread title is very untrue. SWTOR has so little content? You can't surely be serious?

1-50 and the 50+++ content seems more then enough in my opinion to last a couple months until they bring out new content. I've been playing around 2-6 hours every day for 3 and a half weeks, I'm level 27 and I feel as though I've seen and done alot, I know that at 50 there's still alot to see and do.

I like the voice acting, but i wouldn't mind if amateur people did the voice acting for cheap price (company people) and put allot of money in 3D artist/programmers to make some extra stuff (birds/rats/rabbits/pvp-world/better UI/no silly small bugs/etc...

Like the voice actor WoW used for that dragon at the start of Hyjal? I doubt voice actors get paid that much and it is worth the investment.

Actually Mr. history Book, Both onyxia's lair and molton Core were in at Release. & years ago Wow released with 13 instances available to the players which is the same number of flashpoints available now. To be fair there were no battlegrounds at release. The first level 50 in wow didn't matter since the original level cap in that game was 60. Some of us were there, and can count. Counting is fun after all Sesame Street teaches you that.

Thinking back I actually did most of those instances as I levelled up and while levelling in TOR, currently 46, I think I've done 4 flashpoints and if I'm not the only one in that boat, that means there's a lot of content sitting unused, which is a shame because work was put into them.

Mind you of the 4 I've done, only the Esseles was interesting, the rest were just corridors of samey mobs and trash that was completely uninteresting. I'm happy they provided shortcuts in the instances, I'm not so happy they are exlusive to professions. I think it was in Mandalorian Raiders where we could skip a great amount of mobs simply by having a slicer with us.

I can just see the lfg spam once people just wants to do the instances fast "LF last person for <Flashpoint> must have <profession>." It's one of those ideas that are good on paper and horrible in execution since it just creates discrimination :(

Okay dokey Mr. Compare SWTOR to WoW guy, I see you're making your rounds here so let me point out to you that WoW released with 0 battlegrounds and 0 raids.

Technically you could call Upper Blackrock and Stratholme raids I suppose, but at the time they only dropped blue gear. It was several months until battlegrounds were introduced, there was no pvp gear, and Molten Core didn't come in until later.

Also the first level 50 in WoW was within a week. Plenty others who were into the hardcore grind did it in about two.

Just sayin, you might need a history lesson.

That's cause it took several months to get to max level not a week and there alot of 50s at the end of early game time cause of a exploit that BW did nothing about and nothing to those player's for exploiting:eek:

OP, someone had to buy the hot dogs. Do you know how many hot dogs it takes to fuel a game development team? And not just plain hot dogs either. I'm sure they all had mustard and ketchup and pickle relish, maybe some chili, maybe some cheese. And buns too. Probably at least 150 million dollars worth. Have you been to the grocery store lately?

Maybe you live in a place where food is cheaper, but where I come from a package of ten hot dogs costs over fifteen thousand dollars.

8 years ago is not the standard for MMO releases.

That's like comparing a 2012 Lexus to a 2004 Lexus and saying "hey, the 2004 lexus didn't have parallel-park sensors, rear-view camera, advanced-engine immobilization, great fuel economy, etc, so why should a 2012 Lexus have it?

So you want to compare a game that just launched to a game that has had the benefit of fine tuning for 7 years. That would be like trying to compare a Subaru Impreza STI with a stage 4 turbo, and all the other essentials to a Subaru Impreza STI right off the lot. The one right off the lot has potential to become the one that is already supped up, if the owner is willing to put the time and effort in to fine tuning it. Your argument in invalid if you are comparing SWTOR launch to WoW now. But, for the sake of arguing launches where should i start?

World of Warcraft

BG's: 0

max level instances: 4*

End Game raids: 0**

Gear selection: 1 set per class*****

Zone size: Not as large as you think since you went 1-40 without a mount. Try walking on tatooine.

Class variety: Each class was pretty much forced to be one spec for pve purposes. Not to mention the +Alliance had because of the paladin Salvation blessing.

Swtor

BG's: 3

Max Level instances: 9***

End Game raids: 6****

Zone size: Could it be larger? Sure, but does it really need to be? Not really.

Gear selection: 9 sets per class*****

Class Variety: Each spec is comparable to one another, even as a smuggler gunslinger, if i choose a different spec, it will totally change the way the game is played for me.

*:Strat undead, Strat living, Scholo, UBRS

**: Onyxia and MC were not in the game at release, just the quest lines to access them.

***: Hard mode Flashpoints+ non hardmode flashpoints for level 50

****: All three difficulties on ET and BT

*****:3 different sets of gear for all 8 classes on top of the 3 different sets of tiers. Vanilla offered very narrow minded gear with poor stat placement, Anyone else remember the spirit on tier 0-3 for warriors, rogues, hunters and paladins? Oh yeah, and those 4 sets of armor took 4 major content patches.

I could have named more and i ask you to challenge me on any/all of these, but all in all, SWTOR at launch is leaps and bounds better than WoW was a launch, and don't even get me started on the loot lag.

Edited by OorahDoc

You so can tell when people have started playing their WoW. The OP looks like he jumped on the bandwagon at WoTLK...

FYI WoW only had 1 raid back when it was first released too, that was Molten Core.

WoW had NO battlegrounds when it came out!

Geez, so many people are damn ignorant. SWTOR is a BABY. Babies need nurturing!

**: Onyxia and MC were not in the game at release, just the quest lines to access them.

Patch 1.1.0 added Onyxia and Molten Core to the game. Patch 1.1.0 was released 7 November 2004, wow launched in the US 23. November 2004.

So both raids were in the game although quite bugged. But as i hear the operations here are bugged, too.

There is no way in hell you have 3 actual days of play time (72 hours) and are only level 24. Absolutely no way unless you've spent more then 2/3rds of your play time just sitting at the fleet. I don't believe I've seen someone tell such an obvious lie before in my life.

I have 7 and a half days played on my 50, so it's about right.

I spent a lot of time exploring, working on crew skills, doing space missions to earn money for speeder training,ect...

Playing like a NORMAL person,. there's plenty to do before you have to hit cap.

Patch 1.1.0 added Onyxia and Molten Core to the game. Patch 1.1.0 was released 7 November 2004, wow launched in the US 23. November 2004.

So both raids were in the game although quite bugged. But as i hear the operations here are bugged, too.

Then I stand corrected. But at least I am man enough to admit so. Thank you.

The game is great... but and it is a big but it has a major problem. The voice acting adds depth and drives the story along really well. but the majority of hardcore MMO players and dont forget they are the ones who will be playing for years rather than months or (weeks and thus will pay EA's wages just arn't liking it). Not enough content=death... and coupled with this games annoyances means it will not keep the hardcore contingent happy.

The way the content has been dressed has been brilliant but the orginal poster has hit the nail on the head. there just is not enough of it. remember an MMO is a persistent world that you can spend years in. If people are getting bored already (and the endgame does look very sparse) they will just not hang around.

I have really enjoyed playing as a sith inqusitor but I have not enjoyed it enough to invest any more time either levelling an alt or develping my sith any further. It has been a good experience but the invesment of time against the enjoyment I am getting has just flipped. In the last few days I realised that the quest content is VERY repeatative (even more so than WOW and that is saying something) time to step away for a while and either give the game time to mature or go live RL for a while.

I won't dis the game as it has been fun but not fun I want to pay monthly for...