21/2/18 - Carolina Parakeet

chainsawsamurai

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crits average around 3k with almost full champ eliminator gear.

Round that, yeah.

Before Champ gear you can expect 2k crits on Rail Shot and your Rocket Punches. Chaining these two crits together is the best "burst" this build gets, so once these numbers consistently surpass 2.5k you're doing pretty well for yourself.

Really the build sacrifices a lot of Burst (from Thermal Detonator and 30% crit damage to rails), however the more I play it the more I am convinced it is an extremely deadly grindstone. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a build putting out quite so much constant pressure combined with this much survivability.

It is also the only build -- in a game with chain stun, mezz, root (espescially *********** roots) -- that feels like a "true" melee build. You get a fairly consistent snare, 2 gap closers (one usable while rooted. Constantly *********** rooted), consistent damage output, great mobility, good CC if you manage it right, and decent survivability.

I find it odd to say that the build which has so much access to 30m attacks as some of its perks feels like the most "true" melee class in this game, but melee as a whole seems to be lacking some vital tools in the ol' toolbox to deal with the amount of knockbacks and CC a coordinated WZ team can dish out.

Edited by chainsawsamurai

I had a quick question about the build, I see that in your template that you dont have the Ion Gas, DoT. Is that because it would override the combust (flame DoT)? Or just using the points for something else?

Also like that old song...Everybody's heard about the bird, because bird is the word!

I had a quick question about the build, I see that in your template that you dont have the Ion Gas, DoT. Is that because it would override the combust (flame DoT)? Or just using the points for something else?

Also like that old song...Everybody's heard about the bird, because bird is the word!

You can't have the Ion and Combust DoT at the same time since they require different cylinders (unless you're talking about the Incin Missile DoT in which case no they don't step on each other).

You definitely should pick up the Ion DoT as it makes your cylinder proc automatically on your Rocket Punch, which makes your Rocket Punch a reliable snare with Neural Overload.

The reason why most builds don't include Supercharged Ion Gas (which increases the DoT length and damage) is that the Ion Cylinder and its DoT don't do a hell of a lot of damage so for this build the points are better spent elsewhere.

I feel like in many warzones I end up doing the mirror of this. I an 31 into Pyro and I turn on IGC to guard an ally for the first assault.. and I seem to spend the rest of the game guarding with IGC instead of going back to CGC... strange part is I hardly notice a damage difference. Makes me wonder if I should just be running this build instead.

You definitely should pick up the Ion DoT as it makes your cylinder proc automatically on your Rocket Punch, which makes your Rocket Punch a reliable snare with Neural Overload.

And also creates a controllable trigger to a rail shot. Levelling up a powertech and as I levelled that was my primary reason to grab it early. A way to trigger my rail shot working it directly into my rotation in a controlled predictable manner.

I do have this urge to play Pyromania and Burning down the house while playing him.

And after using the guard mechanic in PvP I must say healers need a preserve mechanic that shares 25% of healing done to a primary target to the preserved target if within 10M of that target. A way to share healing off the carrier to their defenders/guarders and get extra medals for doing it.

And also creates a controllable trigger to a rail shot. Levelling up a powertech and as I levelled that was my primary reason to grab it early. A way to trigger my rail shot working it directly into my rotation in a controlled predictable manner.

I do have this urge to play Pyromania and Burning down the house while playing him.

And after using the guard mechanic in PvP I must say healers need a preserve mechanic that shares 25% of healing done to a primary target to the preserved target if within 10M of that target. A way to share healing off the carrier to their defenders/guarders and get extra medals for doing it.

With superheated rail shouldn't you be ensuring target is burning .... ?

Edit : I suppose you might not have had superheated rail if you're talking about leveling..

Edited by Fashooba

Can we please stop trying to name builds? I feel like the people trying to put names on talent builds are forgetting that it was the game designers who made the talents and designed the trees, not them. Not to mention some of these builds are kinda intuitive and could easily be arrived at independently by multiple sources.

Can we please stop trying to name builds? I feel like the people trying to put names on talent builds are forgetting that it was the game designers who made the talents and designed the trees, not them. Not to mention some of these builds are kinda intuitive and could easily be arrived at independently by multiple sources.

They designed the trees. No one is trying to name a 31 point build afaik .. a name makes sense here since its a hybrid.

With superheated rail shouldn't you be ensuring target is burning .... ?

Edit : I suppose you might not have had superheated rail if you're talking about leveling..

Correct but even then In PvP I'll likely be running ION and therefore wouldn't superheated rail damage benefit still be present but I'ld need the trigger from ion not CGC?

as I now have enough points to run a superheated rail build I'll probably try it 20-30 as nothing really lasts long enough to hit me much even as shield.

can we please stop trying to name builds? I feel like the people trying to put names on talent builds are forgetting that it was the game designers who made the talents and designed the trees, not them. Not to mention some of these builds are kinda intuitive and could easily be arrived at independently by multiple sources.

i hate fun

This is my build in progress, 25/3/13.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GMGMdRbRZ0cZfcbMz.1

Not a fan. You give up a ton of damage and a snare for no real gain. Your railshots will do average damage with no way of resetting the cooldown. Your Rocket Punches will be alright but they will also have no chance to recharge and you don't pick up the 30% crit damage ability for it even though you go that high in the tree.

Prototype Particle Accelerator is one of the key skills for the Parakeet spec.

Not a fan. You give up a ton of damage and a snare for no real gain. Your railshots will do average damage with no way of resetting the cooldown. Your Rocket Punches will be alright but they will also have no chance to recharge and you don't pick up the 30% crit damage ability for it even though you go that high in the tree.

Prototype Particle Accelerator is one of the key skills for the Parakeet spec.

Oh poooh, I'll have to examine what I have then.

This build is probably going to go extinct faster than the Carolina Parakeet.

The changes they are making in 1.1b or 1.2 (not announced which) that change shielding to effect elemental, kinetic and force damage will more than likely make this build a superior dual spec: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMGrbMboMZrsMrobZo.1

So you might want to start thinking of some witty names for this one. lol

Can you support this statement with a link? It would be nice to see that a Shield actually blocks the other 3/4 of damage.

As far as superheated rail goes, it boosts rs on burning targets. I think ion is energy so it wont count. If you're running the Carolina parokeet build you'll have immolate which is where you'll get your burn if you're not using cgc

Based on the wording of Superheated rail, I believe you get the 30% boost to RS regardless of whether or not the target is burning. That only applies to the 8pts of heat venting and the CGC proc refresh. If you are running IGC then the proc refresh is irrelavent. The heat dump is important, but not necessarliy critical.

Also you don't have immolate in a 21/2/18 build. Unless you mean incendiary missle, which on second thought, you probably do.

Based on the wording of Superheated rail, I believe you get the 30% boost to RS regardless of whether or not the target is burning. That only applies to the 8pts of heat venting and the CGC proc refresh. If you are running IGC then the proc refresh is irrelavent. The heat dump is important, but not necessarliy critical.

Also you don't have immolate in a 21/2/18 build. Unless you mean incendiary missle, which on second thought, you probably do.

Tell me if i`m wrong but if i have only the IGC proc on my target and do not apply the incendiary missile proc, my railshot does not vent heat.

In my opinion that means that the 30% armor reduction also only applies when you hafe a "fire" dot on your target.

Edited by Gereon

Tell me if i`m wrong but if i have only the IGC proc on my target and do not apply the incendiary missile proc, my railshot does not vent heat.

In my opinion that means that the 30% armor reduction also only applies when you hafe a "fire" dot on your target.

The 30% armor penetration is independent of the DoT effect.

Can you support this statement with a link? It would be nice to see that a Shield actually blocks the other 3/4 of damage.

There is no link to support it. Whoever started that rumor is full of ****.

There is a thread here where I wasted an entire evening on the Public Test Server to disprove this.

Shields/Defense are "working as intended" and there is no change in the pipeline.