Space Combat in The Old Republic (continued from pre launch)

seatown

As soon as some says something good about JTL I know to ignore the rest of what they say. The only good thing about JTL was not waiting for shuttles anymore. I'm sorry, rose colored glasses or what JTL was so mind numbingly dumb I can't have any respect for the opinions of people who enjoyed it.

You are not insulting the idea, you are actually insulting the people. So who the hell cares what you have to say on the subject?

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I to want something along the lines of an updated version of X-wing vs Tie-Fighter.

Great game. It rocked. Played until Microsoft shut down the gaming zone and XvT was one of the casualties. Some people still play this game on private servers.

Template was there. "Tube Shooter" wasn't the template to use.

PS: If anyone is out there from OMEGA squad, give OMEGA_G1 a holla right here.

Edited by Akash

I can't believe the op didn't list Tie-Fighter or X-Wing in his list of free roaming space combat game :p. And those games were made in 1994-95....if they could do that then, why can't they do that now? If they revamped space combat into something that wasn't rail based, I would resub. But until they add something to the game to keep me paying $15 a month, and a revamped space combat game like JTL would do it, I will take my money elsewhere.

Good to see someone is keeping the fires alive :)

Nice one OP for listing the arguments so elloquently. I hope that this thread will continue to remind the devs that space and space combat in Star Wars is an important aspect that shouldn't be ignored.

For reference, I think the last time we heard about guild ships is :

http://www.swtor.com/blog/what%E2%80%99s-next-old-republic

Incidentally, the above link was also the last mention that the devs gave to space combat.

I only hope that whatever they've been working on in terms of space combat isn't just a rehash of what we already have.

Edited by Tarka

Good to see someone is keeping the fires alive :)

Nice one OP for listing the arguments so elloquently. I hope that this thread will continue to remind the devs that space and space combat in Star Wars is an important aspect that shouldn't be ignored.

For reference, I think the last time we heard about guild ships is :

http://www.swtor.com/blog/what%E2%80%99s-next-old-republic

Incidentally, the above link was also the last mention that the devs gave to space combat.

I only hope that whatever they've been working on in terms of space combat isn't just a rehash of what we already have.

I hope so too. Unfortunately, this much silence can only mean they have absolutely nothing worth talking about. When they think they do have something they can't stop talking about it, look how eager they were to talk about moar rakghouls...

I hope so too. Unfortunately, this much silence can only mean they have absolutely nothing worth talking about. When they think they do have something they can't stop talking about it, look how eager they were to talk about moar rakghouls...

Hopefully, they take a look at this thread and the hundreds of thousands of posts from pre-launch.

They have our feedback. They know what we are looking for.

Now if we could just get a glimpse at where they want to take it.

I think I read somewhere during an interview that Stephen Reid basically inferred that people should not to expect this space "project" to be completed anytime soon.

Which makes me wonder how long it will take Bioware to flesh this game out enough so that it's no longr just a superficial representation of what it could be, and what effect such a timescale will have on sub levels in the meantime.

I'm getting a distinct feeling of AOC De-ja-vu here.

Edited by Tarka

I think I read somewhere during an interview that Stephen Reid basically inferred that people should not to expect this space "project" to be completed anytime soon.

Which makes me wonder how long it will take Bioware to flesh this game out enough so that it's no longr just a superficial representation of what it could be, and what effect such a timescale will have on sub levels in the meantime.

I'm getting a distinct feeling of AOC De-ja-vu here.

They launched this website October 2008 and didn't release the game till December 2011. If they're not even ready to mention space combat yet...

If it's still going to be Bioware Edmonton, they prolly won't even think about starting until after Mass Effect 3.

Edited by shepardcomander

They launched this website October 2008 and didn't release the game till December 2011. If they're not even ready to mention space combat yet...

If it's still going to be Bioware Edmonton, they prolly won't even think about starting until after Mass Effect 3.

Maybe we'll hear something about it at the guild summit, but I"m not holding my breath.

Maybe we'll hear something about it at the guild summit, but I"m not holding my breath.

Me neither. Although judging by their recent past, my gut feeling is that whatever they announce, it isn't going to be what expected (in a nice way).

Perhaps somewhat damning is that I've been almost entirely pulled away for TOR to play EVE. I never intended to play EVE, but I'd heard so much that when I was offered 21 free days, I took the opportunity to try it out.

Being free to roam in space is an awesome experience. Being free to do what we want, where we want is an awesome experience. Having a huge open area to travel around in is an awesome experience.

Now, I would not suggest trying to copy EVE here, but there are aspects of EVE that can and possibly should be looked at long and hard (and I can't believe I'm saying it, I assure you).

Consider this: My Smuggler character is a pirate, a criminal. Despite this, I cannot do ANY piracy or smuggling in TOR. Quite the contrary, I'm risking my ship and my neck for the AUTHORITIES? If there were a system somewhat similar to EVE, I could go where I want, be a pirate raiding convoys if I want, smuggle goods wherever I want, and so on.

In any case, before this game launched, I said that it was a critical element that could determine whether or not I subscribed. The outstanding RP elements of the game and entertaining ground game convinced me to buy the game. Now I find my attention wandering elsewhere. If they want me, and people like me, to stay here, they need to provide us with some kind of space game that has some depth.

Tube shooters are for brain dead morons....

Thanks for the support for 3d 3 axis space...

I hope the developers will listen & add something that is more fun than

pac man!! lol

Great comments keep at em & maybe they'll start listening!

Sincerely,

Freddddy

Me neither. Although judging by their recent past, my gut feeling is that whatever they announce, it isn't going to be what expected (in a nice way).

It might be what we expect, but I doubt it is what we hope for.

Also, I just gave in and got this game. It is great to see this thread still going strong. Well, not that great I suppose. It means we don't have 3D space flight yet.

It is, however, good to see you again Tarka :) InquisitorBort here.