Load screens are ridiculous...

Erudash

Has anyone besides myself or my friends noticed massively long load screen times on planets like hoth, corellia and voss? seriously *** is the deal.

My computer isnt brand new or anything but my friends have SSD drives i7's and mad computers and the load teams are brutal for them too....

I've started using the fleet shuttle every time I have to go to the fleet. Its faster than all the load screens it takes to use my damn ship.

Talk about incompetent design. I mean did they just sit around and think up **** that sounds cool, and then not stop to think about how much of a pain in the *** it would be in game?

I honestly don't think the dev's actually play the game...

I've started using the fleet shuttle every time I have to go to the fleet. Its faster than all the load screens it takes to use my damn ship.

Talk about incompetent design. I mean did they just sit around and think up **** that sounds cool, and then not stop to think about how much of a pain in the *** it would be in game?

Your logic here is brilliant!

Its not so much how long they are, but just how many there are to go from a planet to the fleet. Whats that 5 loading screens?! Is this just poor design work? Lazy design work? Cheap fix design work? Or is it simply a limit to the engine? One way or the other its in no way a good thing. Im already annoyed after less than a month of playing by the sheer massive amounts of seemingly unneccesary loading screens, and they expect me to pay and keep playing for years? Edited by RichLather

Or the obvious, quick travel to your ship. Several quests also send you to a different planet, go halfway across the map, run into an unnecessarily large building to get to a specific room, only to talk to a hologram that will send you somewhere else. Couldn't just Holocall that one? Or at least use my ship's hologram? Add in taxi's and load screens, I wasted about 20 min last night doing that twice.

Whenever you get to a new planet you have to wait like 20 seconds to load, then there're no more load screens untill you're done with all the quests on the planet, i fail to see the problem.

Doesn't take that long for me it's like 15-30 seconds at most considering the hugeness of most planets i say it's fine. Unless you feel like you need to go back and forth to those planets like 50 times a day it's not even an issue woth mentioning.

And if you have way longer load times than those consider improving your PC's performance or getting a faster HDD, it's 2012 you know, and the game is 20 GB with huge planets so no surprise here and i expected a lot worse tbh, but i can just do all the quests on a planet with no other load screens other than the initial shuttle one, which is fine.

Edited by BanzaiChigau

Belsavis takes an *eternity* to load for me. I have an SSD aswell and other planets load very quick.

Wait till correlia, the planet is the size of hoth 5 times bigger.

Since its the planet with the largest load time, just did the class quest and skipped the rest.

I'm having a fairly good system (yes, with ssd) and get loading times up to 15 seconds. Although it does rip me out of my game sometimes, I can live with it.

But what startled me up is how often these screens exist without any sense at all.

I mean, why are there space stations above some planets that are simply empty?

You travel to the space station <loading screen>

down an elevator <black screen>

run through the corridor to the landing drop ship <loading screen>

then you are there.

This empty space station has no meaning what so ever. Not even in the story. And that was just one example.

In short: They could streamline the amount of zones with loading screens a lot without any influence on story or anything else.

Whenever you get to a new planet you have to wait like 20 seconds to load, then there're no more load screens untill you're done with all the quests on the planet, i fail to see the problem.

Doesn't take that long for me it's like 15-20 seconds at most considering the hugeness of most planets i say it's fine. Unless you feel like you need to go back and forth to those planets like 50 times a day it's not even an issue woth mentioning.

And if you have way longer load times than those consider improving your PCs performance or getting a fast HDD, it's 2012 you know, and the game is 20 GB with huge planets so no surprise here and i expected a lot worse tbh, but i can just do all the quests on a planet with no other load screens other than the initial shuttle one, which is fine.

It's not advisable to just assume people have low spec pc's. Plus, people often have to do numerous multiple jumps between the fleet and the planet they are adventuring on (for instance, because certain planets don't have the necessarily facilities like Crafting Vendors and/or Crew Skills trainers).

And whilst I appreciate it's not an issue for you, I would certainly like to see them reduced, if at all possible.

Edited by Tarka

I'm having a fairly good system (yes, with ssd) and get loading times up to 15 seconds. Although it does rip me out of my game sometimes, I can live with it.

But what startled me up is how often these screens exist without any sense at all.

I mean, why are there space stations above some planets that are simply empty?

You travel to the space station <loading screen>

down an elevator <black screen>

run through the corridor to the landing drop ship <loading screen>

then you are there.

This empty space station has no meaning what so ever. Not even in the story. And that was just one example.

In short: They could streamline the amount of zones with loading screens a lot without any influence on story or anything else.

The Orbital Stations exist because there's no spaceports on the planets surface or the planets are essentially warzones. I think even one of the npcs says that ships get shot down that try to land (I think that was on Balmorra).

HOWEVER, I do think the airlocks are a waste of time and space (thats the long corridor you are forced to run down when you exit your ship at an orbital station). I certainly wouldn't miss them if they were removed. In my opinion, when players get off their ships, they should appear in the elevator in the orbital station.

Edited by Tarka

The Orbital Stations exist because there's no spaceports on the planets surface or the planets are essentially warzones. I think even one of the npcs says that ships get shot down that try to land (I think that was on Balmorra).

HOWEVER, I think the airlocks are a waste of time and space. I certainly wouldn't miss them if they were removed. In my opinion, when players get off their ships, they should appear in the elevator in the orbital station.

Fair point - if it is story relevant, it is story relevant!

But the stations are tiny compared to the world below, why not simply combining it into one zone and only add one of those elevator black screens in between?

Or the obvious, quick travel to your ship. Several quests also send you to a different planet, go halfway across the map, run into an unnecessarily large building to get to a specific room, only to talk to a hologram that will send you somewhere else. Couldn't just Holocall that one? Or at least use my ship's hologram? Add in taxi's and load screens, I wasted about 20 min last night doing that twice.

I too think we should be given a Quick Travel To Ship that has, lets say, a 2 hour cooldown on it.

Edited by Tarka