Are high res out of the game because of the PC heat issues?

fendergibson

no heat issues, because good colling...but its only game that makes my APC to beep loudly and hardly sometimes.

i think game just use almost all resourses of computer at max performance, intensive use of cpu cores gpu load memory hard drive, all working hardly

i have a Core i7 2600k at 4.2, and GTX 580, 16 GB ram

it uses about 5 GB RAM, GPU at around 60% at max load, and CPU lol around 40%.

So, NO

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's actually not possible for a game to overheat a PC.

Heat is a physical issue that a game CANNOT effect.

What a game can effect is how often it pages the RAM and Processor that causes extra stress. Heat will be in direct relation to the clock speed of your processor and will need to be dissipated accordingly.

So if you're saying that SWTOR generates a lot of heat, when I check my processor which is a mid end (i5 cpu) the game doesn't ever take up more than 40% load... so even with your best buy PC with stock fan... I don't see how there could be a heat issue.

this is just trolls at work.

Edited by Paralassa
insults

Hahahaha!

Sorry, but you have no clue do you?

You talk like a smart person, and try to speak like you know everything and im wrong, and then you pull that s**t out of yourself?

classic :)

But btw since you didnt read, the whole purpose of this thread is especially for those who play with vsync turned off because of the many issues/bottlenecking vsync can cause :)

But yes, this thread should end, since the whole point of it went away long ago apparently.

Conclusion:

ADD A FPS-LIMITER OPTION FOR THOSE WHO PLAY WITHOUT V-SYNC.

No , use VSYNC with Triple Buffering.

Edited by JeedaiFiresaber

Hahahaha!

You talk like a smart person, and try to speak like you know everything and im wrong, and then you pull that s**t out of yourself?

But btw since you didnt read, the whole purpose of this thread is especially for those who play with vsync turned off because of the many issues/bottlenecking vsync can cause :)

But yes, this thread should end, since the whole point of it went away long ago apparently.

Conclusion:

I like how you jumped over my post. Like I said Enable v-sync AND triple buffering.

I have no idea why I'm even still bothering.

Edited by Paralassa
insults

Hahahaha!

Conclusion:

I havent tinkered with that but cant you do that already in the Variables ?, or they arent there ?

In Any case and i think this probably is an Nvidia bug, whenever i have Vsync on, my fps that should be capped at 60, SOMETIMES cap at 30 when zooming in certain areas, thats a bug, i dont mind Vsync off, but as i get something like 110 FPS with even on max settings and on the fleet, sometimes i see some image flickering, with VSYNC on, never, but yeah this bug annoys me (goes away CTRL+UU, or alt+tabbing)

I like how you jumped over my post. Like I said Enable v-sync AND triple buffering.

I have no idea why I'm even still bothering.

This doesnt fix the problem mate.

I have tried it, so have many others, and triple buffering does NOT fix all the issues with vsync turned on :)

Do a quick google search, and you will see. It varies from game to game, and pc to pc, but triple buffering isnt the fix, even if i wish it would be.

Problems with vsync, triple buffering, vsync off etc is very individual from pc to pc and game to game.

Edited by Paralassa
bad quote

What OP says makes zero sense.

Heat and this game have no unique correlation. To back these claims would be agreeing to witchcraft.

The following is how heat is caused/works.

Heat is related to drain caused by load, minus what isn't dissipated. It is important to know that it is the drain that mainly causes it. Voltage maintains the stability but Amperage causes the heat as both directly affect resistance / loss. Fact is undervolting can cause more heat as well due to the increase in amperage

This means that this game has as much relation to heat as the clock widget on your desktop. To say hi rez textures aren't being allowed is due to heat is the same as saying "I can't run two skyrims due to heat problems"

It is nonsensical and is simply because your machine can't handle it, not that it generates to much heat. Computers have 0-100% load. There is no magical extra heat caused by certain applications above max 100% load(some programs are better at the strain but this is moot as it means they are closer to 100%)

So if your computer can't handle functioning under load, that is your problem not there's.

I7-2600k @5ghz 50xmulti 1.4v 1.7pll 53degree's under 8 hours of Prime95 max memory usage. 16gig 2200mhz ddr3. 2x revodrive 3 x2 striped 6gb/s sequential. 3x Gtx580 1100mhz 3gig each, water block cooled.

I have no heat troubles and I am locked at my screens 120hz vsync. Though I wish the game didn't look like crap and can't wait till we bully them into allowing hi rez textures :)

EDIT: What no one has said and is far far more likely, is they where beyond wrong on advertised required and recommendatory settings. Which is really bad for them.

I'm reading through this wondering why no one has posted what you did yet. I'm glad someone did.

Though I will point this out to all of you. ANYONE here that says software can not do harm to hardware is wrong, For example there is software around that could turn your hd into a very expensive paperweight. It isn't even hard to code.

Oh so since YOU are having a problem, that means everyone? smart!

See how that logic works.

If you are referring to the heat issues you can look through the thread and see a lot of people are having issues :) but this is mostly caused by lack of FPS-limiter option to reduce constant GPU stress. or visit the technical problem section.

If you think im the only one who gets input lag with vsync turned on and think its really noticeable, then you can do a search and google and see there too.

Oh wait, you were the guy who didnt know what vsync was lol.

Edited by fendergibson

I'm reading through this wondering why no one has posted what you did yet. I'm glad someone did.

Though I will point this out to all of you. ANYONE here that says software can not do harm to hardware is wrong, For example there is software around that could turn your hd into a very expensive paperweight. It isn't even hard to code.

apples and oranges. the hard drive is a different matter than load on the GPU and CPU.

I'm not going to brag about my credentials but I know my hardware. I also know that topics like this tend to offend peoples' ePeen because in many regards, a gamer's rig is an extension of themselves. I will say this about this topic:

SWTOR uses more system resources than Rift on my machine. Rift is on par with Skyrim in how it utilizes cutting edge advanced design features (lighting, shading, particle effects, etc).

SWTOR, even with the advanced visuals disabled as we currently have it, uses much more system resources than any game I currently own. I play Rift, EVE, Skyrim, and several other games with regularity.

System resource usage causes the need for more power. More power running to the GPU and CPU causes them to get hotter. Cooling systems offset the heat but the load remains the same. If heat is an issue, then that means cooling is deficient. Just stating basic fact here.

Now, My GPU has a 3-stage fan. I have never heard it tick on to stage three (it is very loud) before I played SWTOR. I don't have heat issues, but I know that this game is running load heavy. For someone like me who knows PCs inside and out and has a very optimized rig, then this isn't so much a problem. However, constant strain at heavy load is what shortens component lifespans.

For as many people who have top-end rigs and "perfectly running" rigs... there's likely an equal number of people who are trying to play a game with a rig that is outdated and doesn't meet minimum specs. The largest portion of players are on average consumer grade PCs. These average machines are the ones who will suffer the most.

It is entirely plausible for their machines to run this game just fine. However, most consumer grade all-in-one box type PCs are made with cheap components. RAM from Bangladesh, hard drives made in Madagascar, etc. They don't handle heat very well stereotypically. They're made with cheap thermal barriers on the CPU and if it overheats just once, it'll start overheating at lower and lower loads until it doesn't work at all.

Right now, SWTOR is taxing hardware components much more than it should. In 3-D modelling, I can create nothing more than a wire-image of a spinning cube and melt your GPU if I don't optimize the code properly. SWTOR's problem stems from a combination of engine optimization and hardware utilization practices.

That being said, simply saying, "My PC is fine" is not a very helpful reply. Your PC is fine right now, but if I compare system load that SWTOR is putting on my rig, it sums up to equal that one hour of SWTOR gaming uses the same amount of resources (measured by load over time) as two hours in Skyrim, three hours in Rift or five hours in WoW.

Out of all of these games listed, SWTOR's engine and graphical complexity is beneath all the above yet it costs exponentially higher amounts of system resources and places much higher loads on PC components as a result. High load operations cause failures in already damaged parts or parts that aren't operating nominally. High load operations also shorten component part lifespans (especially on air-cooled systems) due to convection and cooling cycles (rapid hot-cold, hot-cold repetition weakens thermal protections in CPUs and GPUs. Liquid cooled machines don't suffer from this because if the cooler is robust, it pretty much always keeps the CPU and GPU at a stable 30-40 degrees Celsius where air cooled systems will fluxuate from 60-120 degrees Celsius (with most having thermal warnings around 130 on the GPU).

I have a liquid cooled CPU and an air cooled multi GPU setup. In Rift, my GPU runs at average at 85 degrees C. In SWTOR, 110 degrees. My GPU's thermal barrier (the point where the system throttles performance on the GPU) is set to 150 degrees C with a damage threshold of 175 degrees. I am well within tolerance for normal operation but a 25 degree increase caused by load on a game that is far and away visually inferior to Rift is indicative of a programming fault.

High-rez textures would only greatly increase this problem.

If you are referring to the heat issues you can look through the thread and see a lot of people are having issues :) or visit the technical problem section.

If you think im the only one who gets input lag with vsync turned on and think its really noticeable, then you can do a search and google and see there too.

Oh wait, you were the guy who didnt know what vsync was lol.

VSYNC artificially limits the framrate to your screen refresh frequency (normally 60hz, so 60FPS) . So it works as a frame limiter while stopping the screen tearing effect (which is cause by wasted frames beyond your refresh rate). this causes minute lag in video transmission from the video device, which is lower significantly by triple buffering.

There is nothing wrong with SWTOR that is 'killing hardware'. the problem is your machine is not up to spec. again this is not Bioware's problem.

You remind me of all the little ***** I have to deal with at work who want us to pretty much run their computer for them, and refuse any suggestions or troubleshooting of help.

Not when in most PC's, the hard drive is less than 2 inches from a 200+ degree video card.

Totally irrelevant to software damaging hardware and when my GPU runs at 70C my HDD is at about 30C with 2 inches between them. I fail to see the correlation.

VSYNC artificially limits the framrate to your screen refresh frequency (normally 60hz, so 60FPS) . So it works as a frame limiter while stopping the screen tearing effect (which is cause by wasted frames beyond your refresh rate). this causes minute lag in video transmission from the video device, which is lower significantly by triple buffering.

There is nothing wrong with SWTOR that is 'killing hardware'. the problem is your machine is not up to spec. again this is not Bioware's problem.

You remind me of all the little ***** I have to deal with at work who want us to pretty much run their computer for them, and refuse any suggestions or troubleshooting of help.

Actually, there is a lot wrong with SWTOR causing exponentially increased load while sending instructions for inferior imagery. I say inferior because the HERO engine's outputs are on par with WoW and EQ2's capabilities. This game was very literally 5 years old on launch day. It can not produce top-end graphics content like newer engines can. It can however be used to produce data that is poorly optimized that causes poor performance and increased load on systems that should be able to run this game practically at idle temperatures.

Totally irrelevant to software damaging hardware and when my GPU runs at 70C my HDD is at about 30C with 2 inches between them. I fail to see the correlation.

You and I both know this is an untrue statement. I'll save you the embarrassment of pointing out exactly why (It's 3rd grade science). I will however say that hardware can do nothing without firmware or software. Therefore, all problems in a PC lie with the programs (software) making them do something. Hardware may fail over time and even good software will cause something to fail on occasion.

Still, it would not have failed had it not been doing something to make it fail.

SWTOR's software is poorly optimized and is causing high load situations in cases where it shouldn't. Does it cause PCs to melt down and components to outright fail? No. It does however operate in a state that many of us call an errant state. This results in a case where the low res shadows in SWTOR cost more resources to render than say the high-def shadows in Rift or Skyrim.

Try this test: Turn shadows off. Watch your GPU temp. Turn them on and watch your temp. For me, that's a 5 degree change over an hour of gaming. It should be an immeasurable difference in most programs. Even on my other machine that runs a single 470GTX, its about a 10 degree difference (normal load in Skyrim @ around 60C, SWTOR runs at 72C).

Yes but what's your temps on other programs? I don't think we're arguing about temps being too high for our hardware. I'm not.

Also, max settings for you is likely not the same for me. I run on a very large format five monitor setup (three for gameplay, 1 for internet browsing, another for desktop). I'm a bit of a nut I know.

I'm one of those people in EVE who has an Orca and 4 Hulks multiboxing together to strip mine ore belts. BWAAHAHA.

Edited by Laeris

I'm running the comp in my sig, nothing special done to it for cooling, and I've been running at 60c all day long. I really think it's something wrong the OPs comp specifically.(Stopped reading at page 6~ if this was solved already)

Edit: Also, running with maxed settings(even the modified .ini) with vsync turned OFF.

Edited by ckoneful

Heat issues are NOT caused by any game. They are caused by poor cooling.

You can easily use programs like Furmark to max out your GPU's load for extended periods to test your cooling system. This is more than any game could possibly do in a real-world application. If you do this and have acceptable temps, you should be fine since you should have the same or lower temps in SWTOR.

Check your ventilation, thermal compounds/pads, and fan speed.

/Agree

Its not swtor... its his hardware...

My Nvidia 280 ran so hot.. so very hot..

My new ATI Radien HD 5870 is super chilly... with max settings.

Nvidia 7950GT (old very old) runs this game.. and isn't that hot.. but the settings are very low.

Nvidia 280... over heating like crazy

ATI HD 5870... winter time in my computer.. max settings.

I run the game on a 3 year old setup, runs 24/7.

Intel Q9550 @ 2.83 Ghz Overclocked to 3.83Ghz - Survives intel burn test (this will torture your CPU) with room to move.

4GB RAM

Some Noctau CPU air cooler

2 x GeForce 470's in SLI and Overclocked, with stock cooling.

I run this game at Max settings including max shadows.

I run a 3 monitor setup (5960x1200 resolution), but I play the game on 1 monitor, unfortunately, in windowed mode, because playing it on one monitor in full screens results in the 3 monitors 48:10 aspect ratio being pushed into 1 monitor, which looks extremely thin and extreme fish eyed. I guess I could play the game across all 3 screens, but the UI blows on 3 screens and I always like to have web pages open while playing MMO's. Anyways...

This game sure does like using the graphics card thats for sure, because they sound like hair dryers (especially during cutscenes). That's not a problem imho. A lot of games nowadays do the same.

I make sure when I build a system, that I have fans bringing air in from the front and/or Bottom and fans sending the air from in the case out through the back and/or top (the rule of hot air rises and air flow is key applies here). I also use a compressor (or a can of compressed air) to clean out any dust in my system every 3-6 months. You'd be surprised, even under the cleanest conditions, how much dust gets collected into the average computer.

Edited by Krashh

The point in an FPS limiter is so you can limit it to match your monitor's Hz, since that's when it's smoothest. Vsync does this but it also causes other issues.

They haven't really done a great job with optimization, probably because the engine is already old :(

Edited by NasherUK