SW:TOR will be the first MMO killed by single player games

Red_Cruiser

Part of it will be BioWare's fault. The main selling point to this game is the story, and the story in this game just doesn't measure up to the experience from an actual single player game. Whether it's Mass Effect 3 in a couple of months, Amalur right around the corner, or who knows what else... I really think that the people who stop playing this game long enough to enjoy a different game won't feel like coming back to this one... especially if they've already reached the end game and seen how "exciting" life at 50 is. Then a little bit past that you start getting into the territory of the Guild Wars II and TSW and Diablo 3 releases and that will probably be the final nails in the coffin.

I'm pretty sure that eventually we will all be confronted with one of those "must play" titles, but I'm willing to bet that even if Amalur isn't your thing, most people here will take a break to play through Mass Effect 3 at least once, if not twice, and that's going to be all that it takes to break that MMO hold, because well... most of us have already quit WoW, quitting this game sure isn't going to be all that different.

I am happy to play other games as well as MMO's.

I play what i want when i want and lucky i am not bound to the concept of having to play a subscription based game 24/7 just to justify a subscription.

I rolled my first alt yesterday and found it hard to go back to my 'main' so for me this game will have plenty of life in it as i really do want to see the class stories play out.

Do not feel bad for playing other games that is what being a gamer is all about.

You are wrong. You are done with the story in this game within the first month of gameplay.

Ive finished leveling, finished the story and 90% of the high-end gameplay is gear grinding - hard-mode flashpoint, operations, warzones, daily quests.

And thats very similar to every other MMO. The story part in this game is just a bonus, the main content is dungeons, pve and pvp.

The story was decent..it could always be improved, but hey so could most things in life. Sure people will quit, but most will come and go. Not to mention there are currently 8 stories to play out, and with expansions, they can always add more. End game stuff is also fun. While there will always be people coming and going, I think BW has put together a good enough game to keep a large amount of their base.

You mentioned that many have already quit WoW and thats true (myself included) yet they still have 10 million others who haven't quit yet.

What do you think have i been doing for 4 years in SWG or 2 years in Darkfall?

It sure had nothing to do with questing or story!

It was pve, pvp, guild progression, housing, crafting and such things. The same thing people are doing in WoW and other MMOs. And the same thing people are doing here, once they reach 50.

Yes, because one cannot play two games. It's literally impossible, once Mass Effect 3 comes out, none of us will be able to physically play TOR. It's not like we can beat Mass Effect then play TOR after, or play them both at different times. TOR is totally doomed.

SARCASM.

And thats very similar to every other MMO. The story part in this game is just a bonus, the main content is dungeons, pve and pvp.

That's funny because BioWare has said this is a Story-driven MMORPG which would put the Story as main content.

Also what you said is just you're opinion. Not a fact.

Yes, because one cannot play two games. It's literally impossible, once Mass Effect 3 comes out, none of us will be able to physically play TOR. It's not like we can beat Mass Effect then play TOR after, or play them both at different times. TOR is totally doomed.

SARCASM.

I like this guy's sense of humor. Reminds me of intelligence.

I agree. Even though the stories are good and interesting, you can't only do them. I mean, you get 3-4 story quests per planet and every other quest is kill x, collect y, which are far from fun. Also, there's no choice as to where you can level. It's just the same linear course over planets every single time. Also, PvP is just a sidetrack to leveling - the experience gains are outrageously low.

That said, I believe that the insane amounts of grinding and the lack of choice will break this game (at least, for me, they have). When I bought this game, I did so because it was Star Wars and because I was expecting it to be similar to WoW in leveling, dungeons/flashpoints. It's far worse than WoW is, much as I'm bored with it.

Edited by Gauradan

That's funny because BioWare has said this is a Story-driven MMORPG which would put the Story as main content.

Well iam done with the story after 3 weeks of playing, yet i havent even been to 1 raid and havent finished even tier 1 gear set.

I agree. Even though the stories are good and interesting, you can't only do them. I mean, you get 3-4 story quests per planet and every other quest is kill x, collect y, which are far from fun. Also, there's no choice as to where you can level. It's just the same linear course over planets every single time. Also, PvP is just a sidetrack to leveling - the experience gains are outrageously low.

That said, I believe that the insane amounts of grinding and the lack of choice will break this game (at least, for me, they have). When I bought this game, I did so because it was Star Wars and because I was expecting it to be similar to WoW in leveling, dungeons/flashpoints. It's far worse than WoW is, much as I'm bored with it.

WoW was much worse when it launched. There were less features, less dungeons, less everything.

Thats where you are wrong. This game is the other way around. It has ALWAYS been about the story. The rest is just a bonus.

WoW was much worse when it launched. There were less features, less dungeons, less everything.

I never claimed that WoW was better at launch, but given that it's such a giant now, a new MMO needs to be innovative in order to succeed. I mean, who'd like to wait another 7 years for a game to reach the current state of WoW, when they simply can play WoW right now.

The story was decent..it could always be improved, but hey so could most things in life. Sure people will quit, but most will come and go. Not to mention there are currently 8 stories to play out, and with expansions, they can always add more. End game stuff is also fun. While there will always be people coming and going, I think BW has put together a good enough game to keep a large amount of their base.

You mentioned that many have already quit WoW and thats true (myself included) yet they still have 10 million others who haven't quit yet.

I totally agree with you.

But I want to add something more:

I have read recently a review of SWTOR by gamespot.com, and I felt a little betrayed. They gave this game only an 8 out of 10, considering that this game is not that innovative.

I'm really loving this game, like I haven't ever done with wow, that killed my curiosity toward it's world and story already during the first 30 levels of gameplay.

This game is surely not perfect, it has its bugs and needs surely some refinement and more endgame stuff, but it has a story that is a pleasure to follow, from the beginning to the end, even if it is not the best story ever.

WHY don't people get it?

This game was released in late 2011, its competitor is WOW late 2011 NOT WoW 2004. Think about it for a minute and let it sink in, if you are even able to do that. Seriously.

WHY don't people get it?

This game was released in late 2011, its competitor is WOW late 2011 NOT WoW 2004. Think about it for a minute and let it sink in, if you are even able to do that. Seriously.

I don't think YOU get it. That is not how MMOs work. ALL MMOs launch very incomplete, they're meant to start small and evolve into something great. No MMO that launches in 2011 should be compared to one that launched in 2004, the only improvements that should be there at launch are graphics and gameplay. Amount of content, end game content and things like that, come AFTER launch.

As someone who has experienced many MMO launches, you take that as the word of God. Tell me, if you've experienced a lot of MMO launches, how many MMOs do you know that come out of the gate with as much content as WoW? Name one MMO, just one.

You can combine but the story aspect in SWTOR is underwhelming.

More so, some side quests feel more epic than my class story.

Playing trooper and story feels a tad forced to me.

I will play for a while and see what BW creates further down the line.

You can combine but the story aspect in SWTOR is underwhelming.

More so, some side quests feel more epic than my class story.

Playing trooper and story feels a tad forced to me.

I will play for a while and see what BW creates further down the line.

Troopers story isn't good, at least not to me. Try Sith Warrior, Jedi Knight, or Imperial Agent. They're all pretty epic.

Endgame raids exist. Endgame pvp is going to be buffed in the next content patch.

Fact is, it's all there, so... yeah?

Troopers story isn't good, at least not to me. Try Sith Warrior, Jedi Knight, or Imperial Agent. They're all pretty epic.

Yeah i thought trooper was kinda boring

"follow orders, go here, kill him, go here, kill her"

I know I was gonna be a soldier but after the first act I got kind of bored.

WHY don't people get it?

All MMOs have a "vanilla" stage.

World of Warcraft is the only MMO in the last seven years to really get out of it's vanilla stage.

Everyone else dumps a new MMO either because the vanilla isn't exactly like WoW, or it's genuinely bad.

It's really, REALLY hard to release an MMO that has as much content / features as WoW does.